As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Witcher: on 360/PS3 fall 2009

• SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    5xfdmxc.jpg

I'm not even sure you could have picked a darker spot to take a screenshot.

Sceptre on
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sceptre wrote: »
    5xfdmxc.jpg

I'm not even sure you could have picked a darker spot to take a screenshot.

I just got finished nailing the barmaid in the mill to my characters left, gimme a break

bloodyroarxx on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've been reading the official website a bit, this game seems like what I wanted the main campaign of Oblivion to be.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, for whatever reason they aren't selling this at Best Buy. I can't even find it on their website. What's it rated?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • MegazverMegazver Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Heir wrote: »
    Man, for whatever reason they aren't selling this at Best Buy. I can't even find it on their website. What's it rated?

A for Awesome.

Megazver on
    Chief Tyrol. Academician Megazver of the Jol-Nar Universities
  • fkn creepfkn creep Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I really want to like this game but I keep getting mad artifacting :/ trying to run it on an 3500+, 1 gig and 6800 ultra. I guess i'll try lower settings... very fun when it works.

Can anyone tell me if there's any mobile graphics cards that are worth a shit? My girl is getting a new laptop with 2 gigs of RAM and one of them fancy new dual-cores.

fkn creep on
    t1g3rstyl3.png
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    20041024h.jpg

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm afraid you were beaten by about 25 posts.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Unlucky7Unlucky7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Trivet wrote: »
    In censored version, game is castrated from best moments - even some quest can be deleted in US version so I recommend buying it from amazon.uk, or somethink like that.

Care to offer a source for those claims?

Anyways, I know this was already stated, but here is a link I picked up from the SA Games thread on the game, leading to the official forums, where not one, but two developers say that the only things altered are some graphical assets (cards, and a few models), and that all dialog and quests are intact.

http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=1059.msg135831#msg135831

Anyways, while I usually can't get into Computer RPGs, this sounds really interesting to me, so I am checking this out. I know that it will more likely to be in stores tomorrow, but anyone seen this in american stores today?

Unlucky7 on
    "No one can out-dance evil!" - Space Channel 5
  • thradenthraden Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    sonictk wrote: »
    I don't care, I saw the part where
    You cure that woman (werewolf?) by locking yourself in her crypt and forcing her to stay outside till dawn
    that was so classic that this game is already gold in my book.

Yeah I totally remembered all the hype surrounding this title but it's only after release that everyone seems to remember it. =\

That cutscene with filled with win and awesome. It was really, really long, too. I was surprised. The game is just packed with content and depth. It's definitely worth looking into.

Well, it was made by Tomasz Bagiński, the award-winning maker of short films The Cathedral and The Fallen Art. They should be on youtube, check them out.

Oh, and as for the word "witcher" it is actually quite appropriate. The word in Polish is "wiedźmin" which also is a neologism.

thraden on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just got finished nailing the barmaid in the mill to my characters left, gimme a break

:^:

Don't forget to talk to the peasant women. One of them puts out. ;)

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh, and as for the word "witcher" it is actually quite appropriate. The word in Polish is "wiedźmin" which also is a neologism.

No, Witcher is still a stupid name for a person/game. But it does look cool. I might pick it up eventually.

Drool on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ah, glad to see someone made a thread! This crept up on me at my local Game and I wasn't sure what to make of it. General consensus seems to be "good but buggy", and I have to admit that after perservering through VTM:BL I can't imagine anything being much worse :lol:

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited October 2007
    Drool wrote: »

No, Witcher is still a stupid name for a person/game. But it does look cool. I might pick it up eventually.

Okey, I'll put it simpler. It's a stupid name for a person/game in Polish. So it's a pretty good translation, don't you think? ;)

thraden on
    edited October 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Ah, glad to see someone made a thread! This crept up on me at my local Game and I wasn't sure what to make of it. General consensus seems to be "good but buggy", and I have to admit that after perservering through VTM:BL I can't imagine anything being much worse :lol:

Well, despite the patch fixing about 200 bugs, I've only seen one or two while playing version 1.0. It's definitely not buggy the way Bloodlines, Daggerfall or Gothic 3 were.

Megazver on
    edited October 2007
    thraden wrote: »
    Okey, I'll put it simpler. It's a stupid name for a person/game in Polish. So it's a pretty good translation, don't you think? ;)

I've heard it's actually an in-setting slur. Something about mages mocking witchers for their sucky magic powers and comparing them to witches. Or something.

Megazver on
    edited October 2007

It was either Hexer or Witcher (the more literal translation). They went with Witcher, and if you ask me, I'm glad they did. The Witcher just sounds better than The Hexer to me.

Dashui on
  • falsedeffalsedef Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    After hearing the great voice acting in the latest games, the voice acting in The Witcher seems subpar.

falsedef on
    edited October 2007
    Megazver wrote: »
    I've heard it's actually an in-setting slur. Something about mages mocking witchers for their sucky magic powers and comparing them to witches. Or something.

Well, yeah, it is. I'm not discussing the meaning of the word, just how it sounds to a normal person(ie. someone who hasn't read any of The Witcher stories).

thraden on
    edited October 2007
    As a general rule any game, especially RPGs, that comes out of Eastern Europe needs at least a couple patches before I'll consider buying it.

Drool on
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    As a general rule any game, especially RPGs, that comes out of Eastern Europe needs at least a couple patches before I'll consider buying it.

Do you want a cookie or an award? Not sure why else you'd let us know.

shadowane on
    edited October 2007

I haven't run into any bugs yet, and they've already released two patches on the first two days of release.

Dashui on
    edited October 2007
    shadowane wrote: »

Do you want a dickhead award? People were discussing buggieness and patches for the game. I added my two cents. Ass.

Two patches already is pretty cool though, nice to see they are supporting it well.

Drool on
    edited October 2007

Do you want a dickhead award? People were discussing buggieness and patches for the game. I added my two cents. Ass.

Two patches already is pretty cool though, nice to see they are supporting it well.

It's just that your post sounded pretty, I don't know, racist, nationalist?

thraden on
    edited October 2007

Well actually, most games out of Europe are buggy. It's not that unknown that most European developers/publishers don't have as much money to put into their game development. It's a different scene than in the US. I don't think he really meant to be "racist" or "nationalist."

The Witcher, though, is very stable, and I haven't run into any bugs yet, as I've already said. And there are two patches already released. I don't think you have to worry about too much instability.

Dashui on
    edited October 2007
    Meh, I guess, but it's not a knock against any particular nationality or race, just European development stuidos. They do have a history of producing good, but buggy games in that part of the world.

Drool on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I am decidedly interested in this game, but have a worrying suspicion my pc is not up to the task. It could barely manage parts of Episode 2.

Xagarath on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

What?!
    You're silly. Stop being so silly silly. If anything argue about Americans being racist to the Nipple and letting ol'bloody cussing gore master to run around taking all the jobs away from nipple...and digital genital....they have it so hard for so long..... :winky:

Well I got off work and didn't find it at either Best Buy or CompUSA. I may just order it online. The shipping delay will allow me to concentrate on a couple backlog games before this. The US version doesn't sound too bad but I'm not sure on how patches will be dealt with.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • varlandvarland Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dashui wrote: »

Well actually, most games out of Europe are buggy. It's not that unknown that most European developers/publishers don't have as much money to put into their game development. It's a different scene than in the US. I don't think he really meant to be "racist" or "nationalist."

The Witcher, though, is very stable, and I haven't run into any bugs yet, as I've already said. And there are two patches already released. I don't think you have to worry about too much instability.

Unless you are me. I'm trying to get this sucker running in wine, but no dice (linux gamers has to be represented!).

varland on
    edited October 2007
    Drool, yeah, a simple misunderstanding. Sorry 'bout that.

Yeah, as Dashui noted, the budget is significantly smaller. Actually, the game-making industry is virtually nonexistent. It's a miracle that The Witcher was completed, and still, it took a long time. The whole situation actually makes me angry, because I'll probably have to look for a) game developement education b)work somewhere else in the world. I'm from Poland and the only GD course in the whole country is in a Japanese-Polish private school in Warsaw with killer fees.

But to stay on topic:

The Witcher does look pretty cool, the character is amazing and one of my favorites from the fantasy world.
    The world in Witcher(at least the books) really ISN'T black and white. From what I've heard, the most annoying issues are those that can be fixed with a patch now or somewhere in the near future. I just really hope that The Witcher gets enough exposure and succeds because that could kick the GD business in Poland in the right direction.

thraden on
  • AmygdalaAmygdala Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    In the 10 hours or so that I´ve played, I´ve not encountered a single bug or crash. I can´t say the same for, oh, just about every other RPG I´ve ever played.

Regarding the censored American version, I think I read somewhere that only 1 NPC and two monster models were changed. And I don´t have to think very hard to know which NPC.
    The dryad in the druid´s cove in the swamps. She´s clothed very lightly. And by "very lightly" I mean "not at all". :winky:

Amygdala on
    spec.png
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah all in all digital naked is pretty meh. Now if they said "Fuck God!" in the game and in America they changed it to "Happiness Forever!" then yes I'd be going WTF mate? Or if they took out a bunch of missions just because your partner just happens to be nympho maniac then also another WTF.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So my computer is getting old (and I'm probably not upgrading, so meh). I can run nwn2 and expansion on medium to low settings decently well, I can run Oblivion if I turn some crap down, etc. What's the performance I should be expecting?

Athlon 3200+, 1 gig ram, 6800 OC.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • DivebommahDivebommah Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Bah, never mind...browser error...

Divebommah on
  • galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Are the load times as bad as Kotaku claims?

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
    edited October 2007
    The load times are pretty long, but I found them bearable. I'll tell you what those, this line makes The Witcher the greatest game ever:

"Your mother sucks dwarf cock!"

Dashui on
    edited October 2007
    galenblade wrote: »
    Are the load times as bad as Kotaku claims?

Not quite. The load times are pretty long, but minutes? No. Around ten to twenty seconds for a big zone, without the autosave.

Megazver on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I am intrigued. I will keep my eye on this for around Christmas when I have more time.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I, too, am intrigued. Can we get some honest feedback? The gamefaqs forums are, completely surprisingly, full of fanboys and senseless haters. Anyone here have a fair and balanced opinion (stupid question, I know)?

Charles Kinbote on
    edited October 2007
    The Shacknews review in the OP seemed pretty level headed and fair. They seemed to like it overall, and didn't make quite the stink about loading times the guy at Kotaku did.

Drool on
This discussion has been closed.