Options

The Witcher: on 360/PS3 fall 2009

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well I've had the chance to do a bit of digging now, the Devs are saying that they're not going to be dumbing down the game.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56166
    "Console gamers don't want to be treated like kids; the're ready for deep story-driven games, and we think we're delivering one of the deepest console RPGs ever with The Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf," said CD Projekt RED CEO Adam Kicinski.

"We're not about to dumb down our games for anyone. We want to give players the best games, regardless of platform," added CD Projekt co-founder Michal Kicinski. "Anyone concerned that we're going to somehow offer a shallow RPG or abandon the PC platform simply because we're working on consoles can stop worrying."

With regards to DLC:

http://kotaku.com/5105952/the-witcher-on-consoles-will-get-dlc-and-just-generally-be-awesomer
    CD Projekt RED have confirmed that the console port of ace PC RPG The Witcher will be propped up with some choice DLC and come with a host of improvements to boot.

In fact, if CD Projekt's Tom Ohle is to be believed (and why shouldn't he be?) to call The Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf a port is to do it a disservice.

"We’re not just slapping together a port and are actually making a game built from the ground up to be an amazing console RPG," said Ohle, "We’ve gone back and motion-captured a lot more combat animations for the new combat actions, like parries, counter-attacks, enhanced evasion, special attacks, etc. We’re also enhancing the enemy AI to make them more aggressive and perform a wide range of offensive and defensive actions to make the combat a bit more action-oriented."

Don't know whether or not that means the DLC will be paid or not, but it's coming.

So yeah, it looks as if they're going all out for this release as well.

subedii on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If they keep the same depth of questing and smooth out some of the bugs, as well as improving the combat, this could be a real hit on consoles.

I wonder if once they're done they'll re-re-port the game back to PC, and throw in yet more content.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Rolo wrote: »
    If they keep the same depth of questing and smooth out some of the bugs, as well as improving the combat, this could be a real hit on consoles.

I wonder if once they're done they'll re-re-port the game back to PC, and throw in yet more content.

Doubtful, it's a completely different engine.

Besides, they've got other projects going and I'd rather they work on those now, I'm really interested in seeing what they've got coming next. Unless you count the stuff that they've been doing with GOG.com (which is admittedly awesome), various iterations of the Witcher have been the only real releases they've had for some time now.

As far as I'm concerned, the ultimate edition with the soundtracks and maps and stuff is good enough for me. Whilst I really admire their dedication to their fans, I'm happy enough that they can stop adding to it now. :lol:

subedii on
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So far, CD Projekt has delivered everytime they made a promise. So I'm looking forward to the console version.

Shit, I remember when they announced the Special Edition and said they'd improve performance like crazy, rewrite the script, and record new voice acting. People scoffed and snickered, but they delivered.

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    So far, CD Projekt has delivered everytime they made a promise. So I'm looking forward to the console version.

Shit, I remember when they announced the Special Edition and said they'd improve performance like crazy, rewrite the script, and record new voice acting. People scoffed and snickered, but they delivered.

Although there are still a bunch of rough patches that I've spotted on my current playthrough. I wish they had gone back and fixed some of the dialog cutscenes so the characters weren't so laughably stiff.

Brolo on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Meh, those console screens are probably bullshots, and people always swear that they're NOT gonna dumb down the console version. Then they do it.

I wouldn't wait for the console version if I could play the EE. Witch I can, so that's what I'll do.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ITT I hop around anxiously like a psychotic frog whilst I wait for the game to install.

GO GO GO

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, my save became corrupted :(

I was almost finished with the second chapter. I will need to take a long break before I go back into the game because I found the first chapter to be such a chore.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    EnnsEnns Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Axen wrote: »

I was almost finished with the second chapter. I will need to take a long break before I go back into the game because I found the first chapter to be such a chore.

But now you can change who you sided with back in town. Think of the possibilites! The tediousness of chapter 1, for me, was due to the very limited selection in routes to anything. I just hit Chapter 3 and I'm loving it. Really happy with who I sided with and can't wait to see how that plays out.

Enns on
    gransig.jpg
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, people bitch about ch.1 all the time, but I thought it was great.

Which meant the chapters after that blew my fucking face off.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Zxerol wrote: »

Mine is constantly being melted.
    When you find the Private Eye's body down in the crypt I was completely surprised. I had gone gone down there before I did the autopsy so it was just "Raymond's Corpse" when I held ALT.

Enns on
    gransig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Enns wrote: »

When you find the Private Eye's body down in the crypt I was completely surprised. I had gone gone down there before I did the autopsy so it was just "Raymond's Corpse" when I held ALT.

See I was suspicious from the beginning because
    my pendant would shake whenever he was around

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I had completely forgotten about that
    until Geralt mentioned it and I had a cinematic moment where I just slowly looked at the corner of the screen saying "IIIIIIIII'm dumb."

Enns on
    gransig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009

until Geralt mentioned it and I had a cinematic moment where I just slowly looked at the corner of the screen saying "IIIIIIIII'm dumb."

It's all in the details.

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

It's all in the details.

And the hips.

It's all in the hips

Enns on
    gransig.jpg
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Axen wrote: »

But now you can change who you sided with back in town. Think of the possibilites! The tediousness of chapter 1, for me, was due to the very limited selection in routes to anything. I just hit Chapter 3 and I'm loving it. Really happy with who I sided with and can't wait to see how that plays out.

You can just borrow a save game, I've got tons if you want me to upload one, and I don't think there's that many major choices before Chapter 2.

edit: And yeah, the first chapter is pretty dull, that extended find the runes quest... blargh. But then the game gets oh so very good.

Rook on
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I've just played this game for 3 days straight... aka most of my holidays.

Holy fuck me on a stick why did I not know about this game before? It truely is one of the best games I've ever played, and I really enjoyed it.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm in the same boat. Can't believe I passed this over for so long before.

Enns on
    gransig.jpg
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I need to play it again, this time to support the elves and dwarves...but they are so emo.

"Oh woe is us we are discriminated against" *stab stab stab

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    There are a lot of words you could use to describe elves in Witcher, but emo is not one of them.

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    I need to play it again, this time to support the elves and dwarves...but they are so emo.

"Oh woe is us we are discriminated against" *stab stab stab
    Oh come. A prolonged campaign of what will, in the end, effectively amount to genocide is slightly more than 'mere' discrimination.

Then again, discrimination is pretty good reason to start stabbing anyway.

Emo. Pfft.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i hope they fix the beast time of day problem in the 360 version, that boss fight can be annoying as fuck until you realize what the game as just done to your buffs.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Picked up the Witcher on PC yesterday and I'm getting some really retarded "Please insert the original disc" error when the damn thing is in (Disc 1). Then when I finally went to the boards I found it's got something to do with the DRM protection on the disc ad there are all these fucking retardsed things I have to do just to get it to work.

Kinda pissed.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    That's why people should buy their games on Steam

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    when steam actually works.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well, in my 106 games experience, that means ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    in mine it means sorry we cant connect you today so you cant play all your games you bought nor will be let you go on offline mode so your kinda screwed btw we are not going to help you with this problem via tech support or give you any kind of acknowledgement because we are kinda a bit retarded but dont worry its not your computer or net connection oh no, oh and one last thing; we're gonna do this shit everyday for at least 3 months.

to be fair it has been stable for maybe 2 weeks but the point remains they can fuck you over at a moments notice.

and don't even get me started on them selling a broken game that works for noone for 2 solid months.

physical discs ftw.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    in mine it means sorry we cant connect you today so you cant play all your games you bought nor will be let you go on offline mode so your kinda screwed btw we are not going to help you with this problem via tech support or give you any kind of acknowledgement because we are kinda a bit retarded but dont worry its not your computer or net connection oh no, oh and one last thing; we're gonna do this shit everyday for at least 3 months.

to be fair it has been stable for maybe 2 weeks but the point remains they can fuck you over at a moments notice.

and don't even get me started on them selling a broken game that works for noone for 2 solid months.

physical discs ftw.

I was never never unable to play games because of steam. Quite the contrary, actually, the only reason I'm able to play many games is steam. Even when my ISP fucked up, I could use offline mode fine.

And physical disks suck dead rotten rat's ass. I have dozens, maybe hundreds of games installed. Fuck if i'm gonna keep all those CDs handy and around. Steam is a marvel, the games are all there, no disk required, and when I reinstall windows, they're STILL all there, waiting for me, no reinstall bullshit with 5 fucking disks required. Yeah, there are several multi-disk games, they suck.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So is it just me or does the Trade Quarter seem to be 10x harder on your computer than the Temple Quarter? Or The Swamp? Or anything before that. Even when I go into the Narakot Inn it's still a little slow.

Enns on
    gransig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    And physical disks suck dead rotten rat's ass. I have dozens, maybe hundreds of games installed. Fuck if i'm gonna keep all those CDs handy and around. Steam is a marvel, the games are all there, no disk required, and when I reinstall windows, they're STILL all there, waiting for me, no reinstall bullshit with 5 fucking disks required. Yeah, there are several multi-disk games, they suck.

i gather your in the states? yeah i heard they kind fucked you guys over with multi disc installs for some crazy reason, over here in the uk we've been on single disc dvds for a looooong time, i think they stopped putting games on multi-disc cds from 2001/2

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Stormwatcher's from Brasil, yo. And the US had long gotten with the times in regards to PC games coming on DVDs -- you pretty much can't buy a modern game on CDs anymore. Mostly a pragmatic thing owing to the huge size of today's games, but still. compact discs r ded.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I'm tempted to get this, and will probably end up doing so. I downloaded the demo, and the combat seemed kind of shallow. Does it pick up in the actual retail version?

Also, I had this weird problem where the cutscenes looked ABYSMAL. Character's faces were pixellated, and there was tons of pop in. These problems vanished once the cutscenes ended. The actual gameplay looked miles better than the cutscenes. No pop in, no jaggies, no ugly low res textures. Why would this happen?

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Did they actually ever update their demo version?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Honestly the combat isn't too deep but the story makes up for it way too much to care.

Enns on
    gransig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So I'm tempted to get this, and will probably end up doing so. I downloaded the demo, and the combat seemed kind of shallow. Does it pick up in the actual retail version?

The style of combat remains largely the same. What changes as you progress is that your skills gain additional effects and combos increase in length, but the core gameplay mechanic (timed presses) doesn't change. More important (especially at the highest difficulty) is your potion and oil usage to give you the edge in combat.
    Also, I had this weird problem where the cutscenes looked ABYSMAL. Character's faces were pixellated, and there was tons of pop in. These problems vanished once the cutscenes ended. The actual gameplay looked miles better than the cutscenes. No pop in, no jaggies, no ugly low res textures. Why would this happen?

No idea. Were you having any performance issues as well? IIRC the demo is still based off of the original version of the game, not the enhanced edition. The EE made a huge difference to performance, amongst other things.

I couldn't say whether what you're experiencing is something that was fixed in the EE though, since I never saw anything like that in the demo or the original version.

subedii on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Also try turning off Depth of Field. That seemed to cause havoc on some video cards.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    subedii wrote: »

The style of combat remains largely the same. What changes as you progress is that your skills gain additional effects and combos increase in length, but the core gameplay mechanic (timed presses) doesn't change. More important (especially at the highest difficulty) is your potion and oil usage to give you the edge in combat.

No idea. Were you having any performance issues as well? IIRC the demo is still based off of the original version of the game, not the enhanced edition. The EE made a huge difference to performance, amongst other things.

I couldn't say whether what you're experiencing is something that was fixed in the EE though, since I never saw anything like that in the demo or the original version.
    Hmmm. I had absolutely no performance problems. I ran it at all high with around 60 fps. No pop in or anything that I noticed. The actual gameplay looked significantly better than the cutscenes.

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I just started Chapter II and made it out of the sewers. I don't get the Chapter I complaints, I think the game has been face-smashingly awesome thus far.

I'm all pickin' herbs, group swordin' space-dogs in the ass, makin' tough moral decisions. I did spend most of the first chapter yelling at the game for not letting me get busy with Shani.

Oh man, the scene with the waitress...priceless.

I love this game so hard.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    subedii wrote: »

Hmmm. I had absolutely no performance problems. I ran it at all high with around 60 fps. No pop in or anything that I noticed. The actual gameplay looked significantly better than the cutscenes.

Same. I've got it cranked up to max settings and it's butter.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This game needs more Salamanders.

Krathoon on
This discussion has been closed.