Options

The Witcher: on 360/PS3 fall 2009

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, I can wait no longer, so I'm finally giving the EE a go. (First play ever.)

Any advance advice?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Well, I can wait no longer, so I'm finally giving the EE a go. (First play ever.)

Any advance advice?

Stick with the game at least until chapter two.

Play using "over the shoulder" mode, it's generally more fun.

Alchemy is very important, and you will need to use your potions at harder difficulty levels. To use alchemy, you first need to buy a book or have someone tell you an alchemical formula. Then you need to collect potion ingredients, most of which come from monsters and plants. You need to get books on monsters and plants before you can extract all the ingredients from them. Then you need to get strong alcohol, which is usually referred to as a 'potion base' in the description. Finally, you need to rest at a fireplace and click on the 'alchemy' screen. To make certain potions, you'll need to refine the potion base by making White Gull first, which will then unlock more potions. It's a complicated system and it can take a while to figure out.

Brolo on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sad this is never coming to consoles, guess I'll never get to play it.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Any advance advice?

I'd recommend making decisions as you would yourself, rather than trying to powergame. Generally there's no 'better' option, like a bigger reward or anything, so you should pick what you think is right. Makes it much more interesting.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Couple general pointers:

- Secondary weapons generally aren't that useful, but you'll want a torch early on. Apart from being a light source, it can also set things on fire, which does a lot of damage to certain creatures.

- You're practically invulnerable for most of the prologue, so feel free to mess around with the controls until you get the hang of it.

- Some Witcher contracts will ask for alchemical ingredients for common formulas, so if you're fetching stuff for somebody, make sure you're not using it for your potions until you clear the quest.

- Aard is an essential tool for crowd control. You'll get it and learn the basics in the prologue. When the going gets tough, never forget you have this.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I like the combat so far. The graphics seem buggy here and there, but it's manageable.

I get the feeling I know Geralt's voice from somewhere.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What I'd really like to do is find my CDs. Should I be so lazy that I buy the game again, does the EE come with the Polish language VO already on it?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What I'd really like to do is find my CDs. Should I be so lazy that I buy the game again, does the EE come with the Polish language VO already on it?

Yep, along with pretty much every other VO.

subedii on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well my friend told me he was getting some creepy fucking glitches with his game and I convinced him to show them to me. I really think it's worth showing to you guys so I had him email me a screenshot before I went home, it's creepy enough I'm putting it in spoiler tags because I don't want to keep staring at it.
    wow.jpg
    The axe sticking up out of his back circles around his head, it's pretty fucking distracting and hilarious.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    Well my friend told me he was getting some creepy fucking glitches with his game and I convinced him to show them to me. I really think it's worth showing to you guys so I had him email me a screenshot before I went home, it's creepy enough I'm putting it in spoiler tags because I don't want to keep staring at it.
    wow.jpg
    The axe sticking up out of his back circles around his head, it's pretty fucking distracting and hilarious.

I got that one once. It went away on a reload, but that's fucking terrifying. I can't stand to look at it.

Real shame about the port, but so long as the sequel is still on track I'm happy. A real bummer. These guys are one of the best devs out there at the moment. How many games get more than a patch or two? These guys rock.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hopefully some of the changes that were being made for the console port will be added to the sequel. From the sound of it, they were really pleased with the revamps to the combat system and other areas so much that they were calling it the definite version of the game.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Acording to the CDP RED, the creators of The Witcher, the console version is not cancelled, it's temporarily suspended (CDPs frasing) because of work problems with Widescreen games.
    Widescreen games is accusing CDP of not paying, while CDP is accusing Widescreen Games of crappy work not worth paying for.

VG247 article with CDP response
    and
    CDPs longer response (partially translated from polish)

Step 1 is bitching on the internet and step 2 will most certianly be lawyers. Please let step 3 be profit.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sounds similar to the whole Too Human debacle. Hopefully it does come out okay.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Acording to the CDP RED, the creators of The Witcher, the console version is not cancelled, it's temporarily suspended (CDPs frasing) because of work problems with Widescreen games.
    Widescreen games is accusing CDP of not paying, while CDP is accusing Widescreen Games of crappy work not worth paying for.

VG247 article with CDP response
    and
    CDPs longer response (partially translated from polish)

Step 1 is bitching on the internet and step 2 will most certianly be lawyers. Please let step 3 be profit.

So it's not finances, it's legal?

Man I can't decide whether that's better or worse.

subedii on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    wow.jpg

does your friend go by the online name of xclavex? i remember seeing this picture from him too.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I had this happen to me too! Any picture of Geralt on the Inventory screen would show him with stretchy face.

Brolo on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    wow.jpg

does your friend go by the online name of xclavex? i remember seeing this picture from him too.

No, he usually goes by the name DIMWIT. Like I said, I watched him walk around and then take this screenshot, I had to tell him how to do it. Which reminds me, is there an actuall screenshot button in the Witcher? I couldn't find one so I just had him print screen and paste it into paint.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BorysBorys Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    And a sword sticking right out of his ass, lolz.

God bless buggy drivers!

Borys on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So, Guyz, I tried running Witcher Steam EE version on Win7-64, and sound is disabled.

I can't even untick the "disable sound/mute" checkbox, and my realtek HD Audio drivers are up to date and work on all other games.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The new PC patch is out and it comes with 5 new quests/adventures and a new difficulty mode!

http://www.thewitcher.com/community/

Hensler on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fuck! I have to reinstall the game and re-d/l the EE patch?!

FUCK! STOP MAKING ME ENJOY BEING A GAMER!

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    - copy securities (DRM) are removed
    - playing the game no longer requires the game disc in the drive
    - patch solves problems with EAX and blurred graphics

oh hey patch hey how you doin?

Renzo on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I actually just got this yesterday on Steam, and it's pretty good so far. I just talked to the reverend in chapter 1. I haven't played RPGs too much, do they usually start off slow and pick up?

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I actually just got this yesterday on Steam, and it's pretty good so far. I just talked to the reverend in chapter 1. I haven't played RPGs too much, do they usually start off slow and pick up?

Oh yes, they do. Keep at it. It'll pick up.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Kick ass. I should get back into this game - made it to the city then got distracted by some damn thing or another.

Spontaneous question - is this playable via the 360 pad? I mean, I'd assume not based on the clicky fighting, but stranger things have happened at sea.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Renzo wrote: »

I feel like I should be buying this game and supporting the devs just because they know how to Do It Right. Removing DRM totally in a patch? Fucking sweet.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    BorysBorys Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Damn, polish devs keep delivering :bow

Borys on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Also, will this patch be delivered through steam or do I have to do it manually?

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Downloading the patch now. I've been meaning to replay The Witcher for a while. I was almost to Act 5 a few months ago, but my power supply went out and fried the hard drive with my save game files.

Everyone should buy this game to support CD Projekt. They have supported the game so well post release. When they released the Enhanced Edition in stores, they allowed people with the original to download it for free. It was no minor patch either -- well over a gigabyte of new animations, rerecorded voices with a much better English translation, and an adventure editor. Now they are removing DRM and giving free new adventures. This tiny Polish studio is a model for the industry.

grrarg on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Goddamn, CD Projekt shows us how shit gets done. They release stuff for free that most companies would put in an expansion and charge money for.

I've been meaning to give the game another go anyway, so this comes as excellent news :^:

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Renzo wrote: »

I feel like I should be buying this game and supporting the devs just because they know how to Do It Right. Removing DRM totally in a patch? Fucking sweet.

Heck, I bought two copies of the game. One was the original, but the SE was such an awesome release I just wanted to get that, there was a tonne of cool stuff in the package. The thing is, I didn't even need to, since all that content (barring the first chapter of the novel) were released for free online anyway for people that bought the game.

And removing the DRM now that the game has passed its major sales period? How many devs would even dare do something like that, they'd insist on sticking to it purely out of fear that they'd lose sales, even several years down the line when the game's not really selling.

"Doing it right" indeed.

subedii on
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Heck, I bought two copies of the game. One was the original, but the SE was such an awesome release I just wanted to get that, there was a tonne of cool stuff in the package. The thing is, I didn't even need to, since all that content (barring the first chapter of the novel) were released for free online anyway for people that bought the game.
    Heh. I did the exact same thing.

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hmmm, I was having a lot performance issues with Enhanced Edition and Vista. Installed the new patch and it plays smooth as silk now. I think the DRM or CD Check must have been causing my problems.

Hensler on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is this an automatic update on steam or do steam users have to install it manually?

stigweard on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    And removing the DRM now that the game has passed its major sales period? How many devs would even dare do something like that, they'd insist on sticking to it purely out of fear that they'd lose sales, even several years down the line when the game's not really selling.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but this is becoming more popular as time goes on. Certain Ubisoft games have had their activation requirements removed after 9-12 months, and Civilization 4 has had a patch issued recently I believe which removes disc checks for all versions.

devoir on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Shit, no Tages? If I had some spare hard drive space and wasn't playing through 5 games simultaneously, I'd see if I could actually get this running on Win7.
    devoir wrote: »

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but this is becoming more popular as time goes on. Certain Ubisoft games have had their activation requirements removed after 9-12 months, and Civilization 4 has had a patch issued recently I believe which removes disc checks for all versions.
    There's also a couple games like X3 that have had Starforce and such dropped. Oh, and the Diablo 2 patch a bit ago.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Really? Which Ubisoft games?

subedii on
  • Options
    kurokazekurokaze Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I got this game bundled with my video card a while back and never got around to playing it. Decided to see what all the fuss was about recently.

But apparently OEM bundle versions (along with copies sold in Canada) were not shipped with any form of CD key. This does not prevent playing the game, but it does prevent updating the game, which seems to be pretty important from what I've heard.

Atari support will allegedly provide a working CD key if I send them a code printed on the actual game CD, but people are reporting up to two months wait time on this. (I sent my request four days ago.)

Now the 1.5 patch allegedly removes the game's DRM, but the 1.5 patch requires the 1.4 patch to install, and I can't install the 1.4 patch because of what is essentially DRM.

RAGE.

kurokaze on
    atehim.jpg
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    kurokaze wrote: »
    I got this game bundled with my video card a while back and never got around to playing it. Decided to see what all the fuss was about recently.

But apparently OEM bundle versions (along with copies sold in Canada) were not shipped with any form of CD key. This does not prevent playing the game, but it does prevent updating the game, which seems to be pretty important from what I've heard.

Atari support will allegedly provide a working CD key if I send them a code printed on the actual game CD, but people are reporting up to two months wait time on this. (I sent my request four days ago.)

Now the 1.5 patch allegedly removes the game's DRM, but the 1.5 patch requires the 1.4 patch to install, and I can't install the 1.4 patch because of what is essentially DRM.

RAGE.

I bought the game May 23rd and soon found out this problem. I also found out people weren't receiving their codes for a long time. So, I sent in a request and finally got my code this week. Just to give you an idea of how long the wait is. Maybe it's quicker now, maybe they just waited for so long and sent a bunch out, I dunno. It was a month and a bit for me.

The game's not bad not updated but it is better when it is.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Really? Which Ubisoft games?

Prince of Persia and Far Cry 2 are the ones that come to mind. And I seem to recall something about a Rainbow Six game.

devoir on
This discussion has been closed.