Options

The Witcher: on 360/PS3 fall 2009

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Starcraft and Broodwar don't require the disc anymore, either.

Hensler on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    kurokaze wrote: »
    I got this game bundled with my video card a while back and never got around to playing it. Decided to see what all the fuss was about recently.

But apparently OEM bundle versions (along with copies sold in Canada) were not shipped with any form of CD key. This does not prevent playing the game, but it does prevent updating the game, which seems to be pretty important from what I've heard.

Atari support will allegedly provide a working CD key if I send them a code printed on the actual game CD, but people are reporting up to two months wait time on this. (I sent my request four days ago.)

Now the 1.5 patch allegedly removes the game's DRM, but the 1.5 patch requires the 1.4 patch to install, and I can't install the 1.4 patch because of what is essentially DRM.

RAGE.

I recently had this same problem. I didn't have to send in any kind of code, just e-mail them and say I was from Canada, bought the game, and had no key. About a week later I got a key from them.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    Adhesive to plasticAdhesive to plastic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    When this happened to me (no CD key) I got a reply within minutes. Like, less than an hour.

Adhesive to plastic on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hensler wrote: »

Also Warcraft 3, World in Conflict, Halo and Unreal Tournament... 2004, I think? I think Half Life 2 and Neverwinter Nights had enough people complain that they removed the disc requirements.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Orogogus wrote: »

Also Warcraft 3, World in Conflict, Halo and Unreal Tournament... 2004, I think? I think Half Life 2 and Neverwinter Nights had enough people complain that they removed the disc requirements.

Also Diablo II, but it requires a file copy.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    cwoaccwoac Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Really? at what patch level. I thought this was the case but when we installed and patched it up off off blizzard's a month or two back, it still wanted the disc...

cwoac on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Borys wrote: »
    Damn, polish devs keep delivering :bow

I take back all the Pollock jokes I've made over the years. Well.. except for that one particular one, man it was hilarious. :lol:

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, that thread title is just rubbing salt in my console gamer wounds.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    just out of curiosity; does anyone know if the demo on the main site is based off the enhanced edition or the same old demo from the first launch?

EDIT: all the mirrors say 2007 so I'm gonna say it's the old one. :(

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Now I'm concerned about that "No CD-Key" shit, being in Canada and all.

Do we at least get the uncensored blood/guts/tits version?

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cwoac wrote: »

Really? at what patch level. I thought this was the case but when we installed and patched it up off off blizzard's a month or two back, it still wanted the disc...

It requires a file from the disc to be transfered over into your Starcraft folder. I forget what file it is, but I know its a pretty simple procedure.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    SAW776 wrote: »
    cwoac wrote: »

It requires a file from the disc to be transfered over into your Starcraft folder. I forget what file it is, but I know its a pretty simple procedure.

I may be having Dalmation Memory Syndrome (aka, spotty) but isn't the whole Starcraft disc just essentially one gigantic ~600MB file?

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Here's the info on how to do it:
    - Windows Users:
    - Make sure you have "Hide extensions for known types" unchecked under Explorer Folder Options.
    - If you own only StarCraft, copy "INSTALL.EXE" from the StarCraft CD to your StarCraft folder and rename it to "StarCraft.mpq".
    - If you own StarCraft: Brood War, copy "INSTALL.EXE" from the StarCraft: Brood War CD to your StarCraft folder and rename it to "BroodWar.mpq".

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just tried to install the game for the first time, so I could play with all the patches up to 1.5.

Of course it turns out that I've got one of those copies of the game that doesn't have a printed manual, just the PDF version on the DVD. Which might bother me less if it wasn't for the fact that this means I haven't got the registration key.

No key, no Extended Edition, no patch 1.5.

I'm such a fan of Atari right now...

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I played some today. I am up to the part where have to...
    ... animate the golem. Those druids charge too much. I need to make some money.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I played some today. I am up to the part where have to...
    ... animate the golem. Those druids charge too much. I need to make some money.

you don't need to pay them.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AshdrakeAshdrake Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So.....I just started playing this and
    Is the main guy a robot? Is this the mystery twist? The guy is about as endearing as a kitchen knife. Sure he chops up things good, but not really leading roll materiel

Ashdrake on
    I hunt monsters because I need weapons. I need weapons because I hunt monsters.
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ashdrake wrote: »
    Is the main guy a robot? Is this the mystery twist? The guy is about as endearing as a kitchen knife. Sure he chops up things good, but not really leading roll materiel

That's because the story hasn't even really started yet. He's lost his memory and there's giant insects wanting him dead. There's not a lot of room for character building in the prologue/tutorial.

Aldo on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    Ashdrake wrote: »

That's because the story hasn't even really started yet. He's lost his memory and there's giant insects wanting him dead. There's not a lot of room for character building in the prologue/tutorial.

His character picks up steam real fast. Geralt is no silent protagonist. You won't be disappointed.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ok, I am going to push forward then. He just lacks any sort of emotional inflections in his speech right now, it feels like playing a Vulcan.

Ashdrake on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Er...can anyone point me at a patch that shows the cards properly? :winky:

Ashdrake on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    His voice acting is always pretty wooden. As for his personality, you actually dictate a lot of that for yourself, but mainly he's a guy who cuts through bullshit (which there is a lot of in the witcher) and gets things done. I liked him plenty by the second act.

Food on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I too have recently begun playing this and I have one question. What the hell is up with the Trade Quarter? It runs like balls on my comp. Every other zone has been a-okay so far, but the Trade Quarter is damn near a slide show. Whats more, if I turn down the view distance it runs even worse!

Is this normal?

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    That happened to me too. The rest of the game was tolerable but the Trade Quarter was terrible. If there's a solution, I don't know what it is; I just had to kind of grit my teeth and man through it.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I didn't have that issue with the view distance, but yeah, trade quarter is tough on your system. Might just have to bite the bullet and turn down your specs.

Food on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Damn it Geralt is fucking awesome.
    Don't go dissing the motherfucking witcher.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    I too have recently begun playing this and I have one question. What the hell is up with the Trade Quarter? It runs like balls on my comp. Every other zone has been a-okay so far, but the Trade Quarter is damn near a slide show. Whats more, if I turn down the view distance it runs even worse!

Is this normal?

I've got a quad core and all that bullshit and the trade quarter STILL lags on me. Not a hell of a lot, but it's definitely noticeable.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Also, will this patch be delivered through steam or do I have to do it manually?

Anyone have any luck with this?

I have the steam version, but uninstalled it a while ago (crashy on Vista 32). If the patch is either available via steam or can be applied I may give it another try.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ok. The gloomy bastard grows on you.

Ashdrake on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    God I'm so jealous of you gamer-PC-Witcher-playin' folks >.< Why, console port? Why did you have to die?!

Oh, right. The developers (Widescreen Games) stopped working on it because CD Projekt stopped paying them because Widescreen wasn't living up to the technical standards CD Projekt had projekted for the title.

Why, Widescreen Games? Why did you have to suck?!

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Simple yes/no question: Is it possible to remain neutral the whole game? I didn't help either side in the swamp in chapter 2 but in 3 everyone keeps telling me I'll have to pick a side soon.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, you can.

@ Chance: Trade ya Alan Wake or Brutal Legend for Witcher. Or about one of the other dozens of console-only games.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Chance wrote: »
    God I'm so jealous of you gamer-PC-Witcher-playin' folks >.< Why, console port? Why did you have to die?!

Oh, right. The developers (Widescreen Games) stopped working on it because CD Projekt stopped paying them because Widescreen wasn't living up to the technical standards CD Projekt had projekted for the title.

Why, Widescreen Games? Why did you have to suck?!

When did this happen? Nuts.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    Simple yes/no question: Is it possible to remain neutral the whole game? I didn't help either side in the swamp in chapter 2 but in 3 everyone keeps telling me I'll have to pick a side soon.

There's three endings (neutral, humans, elves) and two choices. The first (well after the swamp) will eliminate one ending, and the second will eliminate the other.

Scooter on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, I was enjoying this game until I got curb-stomped by
    The fiery ghost dog-boss

because of getting hung up on some geometery, making me unable to dodge around. Should I soldier on and pick it up again? Any tips for that particular encounter?

Neurotika on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    So, I was enjoying this game until I got curb-stomped by
    The fiery ghost dog-boss

because of getting hung up on some geometery, making me unable to dodge around. Should I soldier on and pick it up again? Any tips for that particular encounter?
    Make yourself a spectral blade coating, I think the ingredients are all found in the cave with the witch. First thing to do is get off group combo and then hit the dog with heavy. With the blade coating it'll die proper quick.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Apparently the uncensored version is now available to the NA version with an official patch. They will also be selling the fully patched version as the "Director's Cut". It's still rated 'M' by the ESRB.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Rakai wrote: »
    Apparently the uncensored version is now available to the NA version with an official patch. They will also be selling the fully patched version as the "Director's Cut". It's still rated 'M' from by the ESRB.

Maybe I'll finally pick this up. I was waiting for the console version because I doubt my laptop would be able to run this as well, but since that isn't happening I'm tempted.

Igpx407 on
  • Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Rakai wrote: »
    Apparently the uncensored version is now available to the NA version with an official patch. They will also be selling the fully patched version as the "Director's Cut". It's still rated 'M' by the ESRB.
    Nice. As a side note this Director's Cut patch does not include the 1.5 patch, but you can install both and in any order according to the official site. Get it here:

http://www.thewitcher.com/community/ (top article at time of post)

AngrySquirrel on
    Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    100 pages of witching. Imagine that.

If someone is interested enough, start a new thread to advertise the new patch. If someone isn't interested....oh well.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
This discussion has been closed.