Options

LucasArts to Bioware: "Join us, together we will rule the galaxy" BioWare: "Sure&quo

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Noray wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Noray wrote: »
    If this isn't a KOtoR/Star Wars MMO, I will eat my own cock.

Someone keep track of this.

Feel free to sig it :D I'd do it, but, y'know, self-sigging.

Though that LewieP quote is pretty great

You're making me choose. You bastard! :o

As for KotOR vs. KotOR2... They're both fine. The second one's failing was cut content to get it out for holiday time, and it's easy to miss important points as the game progresses and finishes. If you want a cheat sheet, look up the Let's Play of KotOR2. I didn't fully understand the ending (after seeing it three times) until reading the guy's notes about it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    TheBog wrote: »
    Now, don't get me wrong, I never actually played Star Wars Galaxies, but from everything I hear, it blows. Having said that...

If it's a new Star Wars MMO, it's gonna be kinda hard to regain the respect of gamers, won't it? It was really big news when they did it the first time around. It was suppose to be THE MMO. I feel like the only slogan they can go under now is "Star Wars MMO: We're giving this one more shot. Maybe we didn't fuck up, hm? Give a try, will ya?"

It's been awhile since the first one. Not to mention, it's Bioware, not fucking Sony Online Entertainment.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    Now, don't get me wrong, I never actually played Star Wars Galaxies, but from everything I hear, it blows. Having said that...

If it's a new Star Wars MMO, it's gonna be kinda hard to regain the respect of gamers, won't it? It was really big news when they did it the first time around. It was suppose to be THE MMO. I feel like the only slogan they can go under now is "Star Wars MMO: We're giving this one more shot. Maybe we didn't fuck up, hm? Give a try, will ya?"

It's been awhile since the first one. Not to mention, it's Bioware, not fucking Sony Online Entertainment.
    SOE is to MMO's as fast food places are to fish sandwiches.

Hazardous to your health.

I haven't tried Galaxies, despite having this free trial sitting in front of me. A lot of what I heard has been negative. So yeah, they'd be taking a risk making another Starwars MMO, but the power of the internet will spread the word about it being worthwhile or not.

Henroid on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Heir wrote: »
    Mgcw wrote: »
    Harrier wrote: »
    You know, I almost hope this isn't KOTOR 3, because I wanted Obsidian to have another crack at finishing the series.

It better not be KOTOR 3 because if they do it and it's not Obsidian I will be pissed. Obsidian took it from generic to amazing. If it is, fuck Lucasarts, because they push it out the door on Obsidian, who set up an amazing sequel, then give it back to Bioware to fuck up again.

I still don't get the love for KOTOR2. IMO, it was a sloppy, half-finished, mere shadow of its predecessor. While I commend them for trying to add more depth to the morale choices, I found it to be ultimately pointless.

The love for KOTOR2 stems from up until the sloppy, half-finished ending that was a result of Lucasarts rushing it and not the developers fault, it was phenomenal and improved upon KOTOR in every way. Its still a shame that the game got rushed for a holiday release, the first 3/4ths of the game was simply awesome.

I still think if Lucasarts didn't interfere at all, and let Obsidian make KOTOR3 at their own speed, it would blow the first two out of the water.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, the people who play MMOs are the kind of people who will find out if a game is good based on its own merits, probably. I mean, it probably won't reach WoW heights, simply because that was just such an amazing fluke, but if it's good, it will probably do about as well as LotRO, I'd say, which is more than enough to sustain a healthy MMO community.

Noray on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I want a game that combines KotOR and TIE Fighter. If you think about it, it's the only possible solution for world peace.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Javen wrote: »
    I don't want a kotor mmo because it would almost destroy any hope for a kotor 3 and a mmo loosely based on the time period of the games would just basically be another generic star wars mmo

and as we all know

there can be only one.

They should get Obsidian to work on KOTOR3 while Bioware makes KOTOR Online. Then you release KOTOR 3 to hype up the mmo.

EVERYONE WINS

And Double Fine for your Monkey Island/DotT/Grim Fandango.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I STILL play Tie Fighter. I went out of my way to setup a machine that runs Win98 specifically to play Tie Fighter.

There's other older games on there now too. But TIE FIGHTER!

I would love a new Tie Fighter game. As long as it stayed true to the original, in that the you stay with the Empire or whatnot the whole time. None of this going over over to the "good" side bit.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Why would they make a kotor mmo?

Instead revamp SWG or something. You have one failing star wars MMO why in christ's name would you attempt another?

Lego starwars mmo confirmed

Shogun on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Teaming up to bring a flight sim set during the NJO period.

No it doesn't make any sense, fuck you I can tell myself anything I want.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    codechinocodechino Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Forget star wars, I want some indiana jones action with bioware storytelling.

Turn that into an MMO where I can run around hidden temples looking for artifacts while fighting nazis and I promise you I will fail out of school.

codechino on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    codechino wrote: »
    Forget star wars, I want some indiana jones action with bioware storytelling.

Turn that into an MMO where I can run around hidden temples looking for artifacts while fighting nazis and I promise you I will fail out of school.

Indiana Jones MMO? Hell yes.

Classes include:
    University lecturer slash adventurer
    Asian comic foil
    Screaming showgirl
    Doddering university fellow
    Arab go-to guy
    Super-awesome adventurer father

And on the evil side:
    Hot Nazi chick
    French treasure hunter
    Bald guy with moustache
    Thuggee High Priest
    Greasy fat Nazi
    Asian mobster
    Hitler

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Shogun wrote: »
    Why would they make a kotor mmo?

Instead revamp SWG or something. You have one failing star wars MMO why in christ's name would you attempt another?

Lego starwars mmo confirmed

lol no, they already tried that. SWG is way too far gone, and also oooold by this point. If they said 'hey guys, we're going to revamp SWG! Again!', this is the reaction of the internets: D:

Noray on
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    shogun the big problem is, swg is set in the entirely wrong time period for the MMO they wanted to do.

They wanted a game with huge player created economy/towns with a hugely diverse (species wise) player base and balanced two sided pvp.

you can't have that between ep 4-5

90% of the people are going to be human and Imperial.

Jedi shouldn't exist either, least of all "newbie jedi"

Any other time period at all would work better for a MMO the only reason they picked that one is its more recognizable.

In the KOTOR time period you could have Jedi/sith as the sides you could take, base the characters off of the d20 ones.

Or the new republic or even during the whole Darth Krayt shit thats like a hundred years after the movie.

Grath on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm just saying it would be really stupid to have two seperate star wars MMOs. If I was George Lucas I'd be killing people.

Shogun on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm just saying it would be really stupid to have two seperate star wars MMOs. If I was George Lucas I'd be killing people.
    Yes, because George Lucas is obviously against the idea of exploiting his license in as many ways as possible all at the same time. That's just not what he's about.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Wait! there is a Star Wars MMO already out? How have I not heard of this it must be fantastic!

Also, as an official EA shill I am ambivalent to this news. Here at EA Towers we respect Biowares decision but will be taking away their water cooler and hot beverage machines for at least 4 weeks. That'll learn em.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    Yes, because George Lucas is obviously against the idea of exploiting his license in as many ways as possible all at the same time. That's just not what he's about.

I figured he was pretty protective over Star Wars.

Then again he does like money a lot.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Most likely this is Lucasart's decision to make a good MMO that makes more money, and completely cut Sony out of the project because they fucked up massively on SWG. If Lucas had any involvement in it its probably along the lines of "Will this make more money then that other one? Most likely? Sure, do it.". Now the question is whether SWG will get completely shut down, not that there will be anyone crying over that loss if it does.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    eelektrik wrote: »

Most likely this is Lucasart's decision to make a good MMO that makes more money, and completely cut Sony out of the project because they fucked up massively on SWG. If Lucas had any involvement in it its probably along the lines of "Will this make more money then that other one? Most likely? Sure, do it.". Now the question is whether SWG will get completely shut down, not that there will be anyone crying over that loss if it does.

There have been rumors going around that SWG will be shutting down. They recently cut down the servers from the like 12 they had before down to 2.

So yeah almost certain that if this is KOTOR the MMO then SWG will be on the chopping block.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited October 2007

See this is what I'm saying. Make a good MMO and drop that shitty shit.

Shogun on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2007
    I wonder if Lucas likes the NJO at all.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

SWG was really good at first, then SOE killed it.

Players are BEGGING for a new Star Wars MMO, and one made by BioWare only makes them wet themselves.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    KOTOR MMO would print money if done right.

Could be the first real contender to WoW, as WoW is in decline right about now and every other recent MMO has proved to be balls.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    syndalis wrote: »

Seriously. There are a handful of nerds that can stomach the EU. Anyone with brains will want to market to the masses that consume the films and Biowares previous work. They will not saddle this horse with a fringe limited appeal subfranchise.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If this turns out to be a Star Wars MMO, then I'll eat, uh, a slice of cherry pie. With whipped cream.

You can hold me to that one.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    rayofash wrote: »

Players are BEGGING for a new Star Wars MMO, and one made by BioWare only makes them wet themselves.

Yeah, SWG was decent at first. And then SOE skullfucked it until it completely lost its original vision, and eventually just cut off its head and stuck it on life support. Its only a matter of time before someone trips over the plug and kills it for good.
    apotheos wrote: »

Seriously. There are a handful of nerds that can stomach the EU. Anyone with brains will want to market to the masses that consume the films and Biowares previous work. They will not saddle this horse with a fringe limited appeal subfranchise.

By that logic, KOTOR would never have been made either, as the Old Republic was EU and look how well it sold. If its got Lightsabers and is actually good, it'll sell.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    If this turns out to be a Star Wars MMO, then I'll eat, uh, a slice of cherry pie. With whipped cream.

You can hold me to that one.

If this game comes out after fall 2006 I will eat a pork pie.

mmmmm

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    rayofash wrote: »

Yeah, SWG was decent at first. And then SOE skullfucked it until it completely lost its original vision, and eventually just cut off its head and stuck it on life support. Its only a matter of time before someone trips over the plug and kills it for good.
    apotheos wrote: »

By that logic, KOTOR would never have been made either, as the Old Republic was EU and look how well it sold. If its got Lightsabers and is actually good, it'll sell.

I thought they had already shut down the servers?

rayofash on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Whatever they do I hope it uses that amazing little physics engine Lucasarts gave a promo for a while back. With the realistic wood/glass shattering and such. Something with a little more involved than just blowing the ground up in front of you, which is admittedly cool enough.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Whatever they do I hope it uses that amazing little physics engine Lucasarts gave a promo for a while back. With the realistic wood/glass shattering and such. Something with a little more involved than just blowing the ground up in front of you, which is admittedly cool enough.

That was for Fracture I believe.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Right, Fracture is what I mean about the blowing up ground. Couldn't remember the name of the game. But you don't make an incredible physics engine for just one game then drop it.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Teaming up to bring a flight sim set during the NJO period.

No it doesn't make any sense, fuck you I can tell myself anything I want.
    Honestly. At least put in a bonus mission against the Vong in some game.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Honestly I'd be quite cheerful if it didn't involve Star Wars at all.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

I think he is referring to the stuff in Force Unleashed.

Which is, as you can see, mind blowing on a scale you probably haven't seen before.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    That's the one.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    What they should do is make Jedi the elite class. If you have say a Gunner, and an engineer, or whatever.

And then they advance to like the 20th level

They can train under a Jedi or Sith Master for the next 12 levels

Being a Jedi initiate, then intermediate, then a Master.

I'm sure its not an original idea, but its doable.

Or you could just go the KOTOR route of having different types of Jedi. Guardian, etc.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    What they should do is make Jedi the elite class. If you have say a Gunner, and an engineer, or whatever.

And then they advance to like the 20th level

They can train under a Jedi or Sith Master for the next 12 levels

Being a Jedi initiate, then intermediate, then a Master.

I'm sure its not an original idea, but its doable.

Or you could just go the KOTOR route of having different types of Jedi. Guardian, etc.

Or have to go on incredibely hard quests to get Jedi holocrons

rayofash on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Thread title ftw.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »

I think he is referring to the stuff in Force Unleashed.

Which is, as you can see, mind blowing on a scale you probably haven't seen before.

Ah yeah, that one. Another game I'm hoping turns out well given what the engine can do. Both The Force Unleashed and Fracture have some interesting physics implementations that are cool for action games, but I don't see what they'd be used for in an MMO other then looking cool.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)