Options

So...Battalion Wars 2, Wii style

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wait

No local multi?

Does that mean no offline play on one console or no lan?

Because co-oping off line was one of the big draws for me.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nintendo Power gave it a 7.5 I think saying something about the controls not being so hot. Either way I'm buyin but it will be after Christmas. NO MUNIEZ D:

powersurge on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've heard the comparisons to Pikmin in the past, but I have a tough time seeing it. Is it really that similar?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    No local multiplayer?

Yeah, okay, fuck that.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've been playing a lot of Online battles today and I'm enjoying a lot.
    Assualt seems uneven. Capturing your opponents base is usually very difficult.
    Skirmish is great though. Although I sometimes have trouble navigating the maps.
    Haven't gotten to far in the Single Player. I hope it's beatable.

Here's my FC:

159 028 699 748

If anyone is interested in a fight let me know.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Heyyyyy add me!

274 992 882 817

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Good match

Sorry I didn't rematch, I really don't like that skirmish map, it's kind of lame >_>

Edit: Another awesome match! Damn, I thought I had you when I took your air base. You really know how to use those stupid bombers >: (

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Damnit Lemming, stop winning!

I love the bombers. I love the ships to, which is why I liked that first map.
    But yeah, good matches. they've been pretty close.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Damnit Lemming, stop winning!

I love the bombers. I love the ships to, which is why I liked that first map.
    But yeah, good matches. they've been pretty close.

I always figured the key to ultimate victory in that last map was just getting to the tank first, but I've realized that while it does help, if you don't use it VERY well it just becomes a bunch of bonus points for the enemy

Plus, you know, lining up all my infantry so you can jump bomb them all to death at the same time D:

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The online fights have seemed pretty balanced so far. You almost always have some way of fighting back.

Although there was this one Assault map where I (the attacker) had a Battleship, and some ground forces, and the Defender just had some Artillery as their best counter for that ship. I don't know what to think of that one. Never played the Defenders position.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I enjoyed the first game so much that I went out and purchased the sequel today! Yay me! I will probably put some time into this game soon, just not now.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    IGN review

Pretty much concluded what I'd speculated/worried about the game. To sum up negatives; wii controls aren't entirely well-executed, IR aiming is ineffective/rarely used, feels like more of the same.

On the other hand, it feels like more of the same... with online. I'll definitely be getting this in a week or so.

To all of you who have it already, how is assault mode? It sounds exactly like Enemy Territory (Wolfenstein/Quake Wars), which sounds awesome. Is it as great as it absolutely should be, and will it live up to the ridiculous hype I've created for it?

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Well, when you first do an assault map, you only get access to 3 out of the 6 maps, and this is the same for skirmish (I haven't done any cooperative maps yet). The first 3 are really basic. For assault, you have to blow up/capture one thing, then capture their headquarters. Two steps. However, after you play a few rounds of this, you unlock another map, which is more complex. This is similar with skirmish, where at first you basically get two people with the same loadouts pew pew'ing each other, but the more advanced maps actually have you fight over different bases and capture them. I've only played the 4th out of 6 maps for skirmish, and haven't done a more advanced map for assault, but I imagine it'd be the same.

Also, people who say the IR aiming isn't used is retarded. It's so so so SO much easier to both target the unit you actually want to shoot at, or the ground so you can hit infantry if you're using a tank. It's a huge step up from the first game, and they're basically ignoring selecting units, only saying "oh i don't manually aim all the time with IR therefore it's useless"

It is more of the same, but with factories and barracks and such which will pump out units after you've lost them, it's a lot more fun. You don't have to worry about only having x amount of units, and you can actually try different things instead of just massing all your guys on the enemy one at a time. Also, the AI is better, so, unlike in the first game, you can't really just control a tank and wipe out a platoon of bazooka vets, even though you're supposed to be weak to them.

Overall it's awesome and you should get it :O

Lemming on
  • Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lemming wrote: »
    Well, when you first do an assault map, you only get access to 3 out of the 6 maps, and this is the same for skirmish (I haven't done any cooperative maps yet). The first 3 are really basic. For assault, you have to blow up/capture one thing, then capture their headquarters. Two steps. However, after you play a few rounds of this, you unlock another map, which is more complex. This is similar with skirmish, where at first you basically get two people with the same loadouts pew pew'ing each other, but the more advanced maps actually have you fight over different bases and capture them. I've only played the 4th out of 6 maps for skirmish, and haven't done a more advanced map for assault, but I imagine it'd be the same.

Also, people who say the IR aiming isn't used is retarded. It's so so so SO much easier to both target the unit you actually want to shoot at, or the ground so you can hit infantry if you're using a tank. It's a huge step up from the first game, and they're basically ignoring selecting units, only saying "oh i don't manually aim all the time with IR therefore it's useless"

It is more of the same, but with factories and barracks and such which will pump out units after you've lost them, it's a lot more fun. You don't have to worry about only having x amount of units, and you can actually try different things instead of just massing all your guys on the enemy one at a time. Also, the AI is better, so, unlike in the first game, you can't really just control a tank and wipe out a platoon of bazooka vets, even though you're supposed to be weak to them.

Overall it's awesome and you should get it :O

Thank you very much for the impressions. Two notes:

This is what I had hoped it would turn out like, but then every source seemed to be saying the opposite. This sounds really promising though, especially coming from an online perspective.

It is more of the same, but with factories and barracks and such which will pump out units after you've lost them, it's a lot more fun. You don't have to worry about only having x amount of units,

Oh thank god. In the first Battallion Wars, I was always so nervous to attack, since I never wanted to ruin my chances at success in a mission by losing to many men. Plus, it was just so fun to fight and control everyone, I wanted the battles to last forever. You just made me so much more psyched for this game.

I'll post my friend code as soon as I get it.

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    how does the game look compared to the first?

Guek on
  • Options
    HarakhtiHarakhti Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    IGN article said the mp maps were a bit sparse. With co-op only having 4. Are the maps large and varied enough to allow for greater replayability? Or are they skimpy and not worth going through more then once?

Same question for the rest of the mp mode maps. For anyone willing to answer. Sorry for the grilling.. and thanks.

Harakhti on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Cyrixd wrote: »
    IGN review

Pretty much concluded what I'd speculated/worried about the game. To sum up negatives; wii controls aren't entirely well-executed, IR aiming is ineffective/rarely used, feels like more of the same.

I agree with Lemming on all of this. The nunchuk and Wiimote both have their uses and it works very well.
    Harakhti wrote:
    IGN article said the mp maps were a bit sparse. With co-op only having 4. Are the maps large and varied enough to allow for greater replayability? Or are they skimpy and not worth going through more then once?

Same question for the rest of the mp mode maps. For anyone willing to answer. Sorry for the grilling.. and thanks.

Co-op has 3 modes and one to unlock (you just have to play the mode a few times to unlock other maps)
    Then Assualt and Skirmish have 3 to begin with and 3 to unlock. I still haven't unlocked the 6th in either version.
    The first map in skirmish is very boring, but the others are much better. Lots of back and forth trying to capture, defend, and recapture a few factories on the map. Not that you have to do that, but it helps to win of course.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Still seems like an awfully low number of maps though. Then again, I'm stuck thinking of PC RTS games.

Is there a Map editor? Downloadable maps for the future? :(

Harakhti on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This game is so awesome.

Ok, I never played the first, so it probably feels fresher to me than it would otherwise, but still, so much fun.

I can sort of understand what IGN means about the motion controls not being absolutely critical, but at the same time I disagree. Yes, you don't have to use them to aim due to lock-on...but they really are the game's main interface, so to speak. They control the camera beautifully (two different sensitivities) and seem to fit the game as much as, oh, aiming in RE4. Just as that game was not-quite-an-FPS, this is not-quite-an-RTS, and the benefits are similar. You get me?

Some of the motion controls feel a bit tacked on, like jumping and rolling which are simple shaking-type motions, but they really aren't that necessary to play the game. (Though I imagine you'd get some use out of them in multi.)

But otherwise...the game oozes production values. Great FMVs take me back to the early Playstation era where that was a major thing you played the game for. I've missed them! And that's not to say that the game itself doesn't look beautiful. The environments look doable for a last gen system, but all of the units/vehicles are pretty darn detailed, and you can get a lot onscreen at once.

Lots of unlockable content like unit dossiers (for viewing the high quality models up close) and concept art which is very Metal Slug-ish.

My favorite part is the feeling of playing it, which is the hybrid of action and RTS. People who played the first game would probably nod their heads at this. Lots of neat units to familiarize yourself with controlling, and at the same time remembering who needs to be deployed where. Should I take over that anti-air and blast the bombers myself, or tell them to handle it and help out my ground troops? It's a sweet feeling. 8-)

All that said, it is criminal that this game doesn't have a quick skirmish mode or map editor. I would be playing this forever if it did. It really is action/RTS Advance Wars.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I feel kind of silly asking, but what does FMV stand for?

(I'm kind of behing the game, with the Wii being the first console I've owned since SNES)

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Xaquin wrote: »

(I'm kind of behing the game, with the Wii being the first console I've owned since SNES)

Full motion video. In most cases, 3D animation done outside the regular game engine, saved in a video format. Like watching a Pixar movie.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Xaquin wrote: »

Full motion video. In most cases, 3D animation done outside the regular game engine, saved in a video format. Like watching a Pixar movie.

In much rarer cases(Command and Conquer, for instance), it is used to denote live-action scenes, as opposed to ones done via CGI.

These, luckily, have gone mostly the way of the dodo, leaving only those things that used it WELL(again, Command and Conquer).

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    cool, thanks

Xaquin on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    this game would be so bought'd if I had any moneys :(

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    wunderbar wrote: »

same here hehe

Guitar Hero III
    BWii
    Fire Emblem

and Links Crossbow are killing me

ah well maybe BWii and Link will wait a bit longer hehe

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    i'll pick this game up next year. i can only afford 3 purchases this holiday :(

Guek on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I look at this as a plus - it just means there'll be a glut of games available (and cheap) that I haven't played yet when June and July roll around and there's nothing coming out for months.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm definitely going to buy this someday. Probably not now.

Galaxy hits in ten days, and I haven't even started Zack & Wiki yet.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man I hate the Computer controlled allies.

Hey fellas here's an idea :WAIT ON THE BEACH WHILE I BLOW UP THE DOOM CANNONS.

Outside of that I am really liking this game.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So, is this game in the category of 'you are fucking nuts for not owning it', or is it 'this is a pretty fucking good game'?

Trying to decide what to buy with the limited cash I have left...

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I didn't see this game in stores today, what gives? What's the PAL release date?

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So, I guess this could be a stupid question. I never played the first BW for the GC, but how much like it does BWII play?

The reason I ask is because I can pick up the first one for like 10 bucks, whereas the sequel is $50. I'd rather spend $10 to find out if I even like the game play.

I guess the next obvious question would be, what kind of game does it play like? I've read the discussion so far about the controls for BWII but it doesn't really give me a feel for the "type" of game it plays like.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited November 2007
    So, I guess this could be a stupid question. I never played the first BW for the GC, but how much like it does BWII play?

The reason I ask is because I can pick up the first one for like 10 bucks, whereas the sequel is $50. I'd rather spend $10 to find out if I even like the game play.

I guess the next obvious question would be, what kind of game does it play like? I've read the discussion so far about the controls for BWII but it doesn't really give me a feel for the "type" of game it plays like.
    I didn't play the first one either, but I hear it's basically the same only a bit harder than the sequel. There's also a lot of added stuff, including naval units and buildings you can capture to fortify your troops; in the first game you could get reinforcements via capturing helipads and such, but this one has buildings that will "refill" your army if you lose a few units, so for example if 3 of your 5 infantry die it'll make you 3 more.

What does it play like? Well, primarily it feels like a third person shooter ala Ratchet and Clank, only you have an AI squad following you around. The actual shooting you do is probably less important than your strategy, who you order your units to attack. So it's an RTS at heart that plays like a third-person squad shooter.

It also has some other fun elements in it, like a driving mission on a recon vehicle which felt a lot like driving a Warthog in Halo.

Some other places online have compared it to Star Wars: Battlefront, but I wouldn't know how accurate that is.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    JasonR66JasonR66 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I'm trying to decide between buying this or Fire Emblem. Which should I choose?

JasonR66 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    JasonR66 wrote: »
    So I'm trying to decide between buying this or Fire Emblem. Which should I choose?

if you're a diehard fire emblem fan, get FE. if not, FE might be a bit of a let down since it is, for all intents and purposes, a gamecube game printed on a wii disc. If you're not that big of a fan, I'd recommend this game all the way.

Guek on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just finished the first campaign (The Solar Empire) and I must say that this game is so much better with Wii controls. Even though commands are given out the same way as before, having the abilty to look around by pointing makes this control better IMO. Even driving and having to point is not that annoying at all.

I love this game. Its so fun.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I bought the first one because a co-worker recommended it to me; I hated it so very fucking much I actually traded it back, something I never ever do. I decided to rent this one as to not repeat the same mistake, and today I bought it on an impulse without trying it first.

Let's hope it was fate and the game rules, rather than just it being me acting like an idiot.

Off to play it now.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    So I just picked this up. Liking it so far but I've only played a couple missions.

My BWii FC is 360-893-128-018

I'll definitely be looking for some mp after I get some more practice in.

My Wii code is in my sig

Harakhti on
  • Options
    HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Damned game isn't out in aust yet, or coming out this year. Apparently I need a version with french and german.

Hearthjaw on
    steamid: sewersider
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    So is anyone still playing this? I'd love to try out some co-op.

Wii definitely needs some kind of friends list. The message board seems to take way to long to be efficient in trying to organize multiplayer matches and the like.

Is there a sp skirmish mode or anything that you unlock at some point? It seems like major hindsight not include more sp modes outside of the campaigns.

Harakhti on