As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Project, Pg. 2 (

NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade UsernameRegistered User regular
edited October 2021 in Artist's Corner

NightDragon on

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    How do you go about making one of these? Do you make a blotch and add strategic blotches or is there some other way to go about it? I ask because I've tried to do these in the past and they always end in catastrophe.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The picture of the girl is not very realistic, I suggest you work on anatomy. For example I cannot see her neck, so I think you need to add some highlights.

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    flyingmonkeyflyingmonkey Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I uh..oh..oh my. Dear god how long did you spend on that girl? I mean dayumn, that is pushing the limits of photorealistic...

flyingmonkey on
    3. And quit this emo-slumming shit. Fuck.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The only thing I can say about the girl is that the few wispy, out of place hairs aren't something a camera would usually capture at the exposure you're working at. The translucent nature of them would make them blend in more closesly with the existing mass of hair behind them. However, the need for there to be some irregularity to the hair in order to give the piece a photographic look may neccesitate that they stay the way they are.

Brolo on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    How do you go about making one of these? Do you make a blotch and add strategic blotches or is there some other way to go about it? I ask because I've tried to do these in the past and they always end in catastrophe.

Just in general? Usually I draw the subject like normal (with the "base" color of the subject)...then do rough colors behind the lineart, which is usually kinda sketchy...then I just slowly build up the details on a top layer. With things like the girl, I tried for the first time to get away from using 8,000 layers...so it's just the background, the hair (and eyebrows, eyelashes), and her face. The speedpaint is all one layer, and the dragon had the same set-up as the girl...smoke on one layer, BG on another, main "object" on another. It's actually kind of liberating, not working on 25 layers! :) And much less confusing.

I was considering finding a program to do Photoshop-recording sessions to show my process...but everything is $$...and I have no real reason to get it...so maybe some point in the future!

I uh..oh..oh my. Dear god how long did you spend on that girl? I mean dayumn, that is pushing the limits of photorealistic...

I've been keeping track, for once! Heh. Currently it's about 10.5 hours in. This is about 1/3 of the original size.

Rolo wrote: »
    The only thing I can say about the girl is that the few wispy, out of place hairs aren't something a camera would usually capture at the exposure you're working at. The translucent nature of them would make them blend in more closesly with the existing mass of hair behind them. However, the need for there to be some irregularity to the hair in order to give the piece a photographic look may neccesitate that they stay the way they are.

Yeah, I'm planning on blurring them slightly once I'm done with the whole thing, to make sure the blurring is uniform. :)

NightDragon on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2007
    I saw "dragon" and "girl" and got all giddy. :(

Not like this is a let down, though. The little girl is beautiful, is the canvas going to remain that size or will it be extended and completed?

Iruka on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i'd like to see a 100% view of the girl out of curiosity.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That dragon is fantastic ND kinda got a horny toad look to it. And the little girl... I think my jaw will stay open while I sleep tonight, amazing.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    AximAxim Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    sweet mother of god

Axim on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    ND when are we gonna get on the making lady babies?

because you already promised
    and i don't see any babies

THERE SHOULD BE AT LEAST 400!

beavotron on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Bloody hellfire, those are awesome.

In an odd way I actually prefer the dragon picture, because there's something not quite right about the little girl's face. The skintones seem a little flat around the extremities, and as Rolo touched upon some of her hairs give the impression of a greying fringe rather than single hairs caught in the light.

But in all honesty, I mistook it for a photograph on the first pass, so take all that with a grain of salt :P

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    GIRLY!

GirlWIP.jpg

I....holy....holy shit.

anable on
  • Options
    MoonmanMoonman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, this definitely deserves a special expletive to define the awe of that art:

Jesusfuck... :shock:

Moonman on
    banner02.gif
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    that dragon is fantastic, I really <3 it

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    EdilithEdilith Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wowow.. that painting of the girl is absolutely beautiful. If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you?

Sorry I couldn't offer any helpful critique at all, but honestly? You don't need it so far :p Keep it up.

Edilith on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It might be better to do these crazy renderings as a polaroid might develop, the entire picture plane being activated and brought forth at once. I trust your skill enough to know that these will most likely turn out, but at least getting something down for everything will help you keep the peice interesting as you move on.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Edilith wrote: »
    Wowow.. that painting of the girl is absolutely beautiful. If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you?

I've been keeping track, for once! Heh. Currently it's about 10.5 hours in. This is about 1/3 of the original size.

anable on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah that girls face is pretty awesome, and so is the dragon. I think if you added some cast shadows from his spikes and horns it would help give it some extra form and bring it out some though.

Fun note: When you open up the girls picture in photoshop you can see the grid you used. I thought it was neat.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Moonman wrote: »
    Yeah, this definitely deserves a special expletive to define the awe of that art:

Jesusfuck... :shock:

I'm thinking recockulous.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    Coffee and TVCoffee and TV Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You have quite an eye for color.

Coffee and TV on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I have a difference of opinion with a friend of mine. When I showed him the picture of the girl you drew he called shenanigans and we proceeded to box. Any chance you show us the reference image and settle our debate/fist fight?

anable on
  • Options
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh man, the girl is fantastic ND. Before reference I have only one minor issue with it, and that is where her right cheek meets her hair, the edge should really soften up a bit. It grabs a little too much attention at the moment. But I am curious what you were aiming for exactly? Are you looking for an exact likeness? Because the reference and the girl you painted do look like different people to me. They are quite close, but at this level of render even small things start to become quite important.

If you were looking to get a strong likeness then I will go into some of my issues with that, but right now it is just beautiful. I am really impressed.

Oh yeah, and the dragon ain't so bad either...though almost anything in profile is going to be boring.

rts on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    cakemikz wrote: »
    Oh man, the girl is fantastic ND. Before reference I have only one minor issue with it, and that is where her right cheek meets her hair, the edge should really soften up a bit. It grabs a little too much attention at the moment. But I am curious what you were aiming for exactly? Are you looking for an exact likeness? Because the reference and the girl you painted do look like different people to me. They are quite close, but at this level of render even small things start to become quite important.

If you were looking to get a strong likeness then I will go into some of my issues with that, but right now it is just beautiful. I am really impressed.

Oh yeah, and the dragon ain't so bad either...though almost anything in profile is going to be boring.

haha, thanks, I'll try to keep that in mind. :P I think the overall design is pretty "run-of-the-mill", too, but my next one will be bettah!

...and yeah, I wasn't going for an exact exact replica of the photo. I wanted to get the overall "gist" down and see if I could render something so that it was almost photographic. I felt like trying to go for the exact same thing as the photo would be a bit excessive. I wasn't planning on the two looking so different, so you're right in that, and I agree with you. I think it started off when I drew the shape of the face too thinly, in relation to the photo. The girl's nose also sticks out a lot more in the photo than in my drawing, but it looked weird when I tried to fix it (again, probably as a result of getting the face wrong right off the bat).

Actually, looking at it now (I haven't worked on this since the summer, really)...my version seems a lot more "vertical" and flat...like, if I was do sculpt her face, it was be flatter than it should be. Hmm. I think that's due to the nose, mostly.

And yeah, the hairline *is* harsh (damn good eye, sir!), and I do plan on softening it up once that area is done. The face is all on one layer, and the hair (eyelashes and eyebrows too) is on a layer ontop of that. That edge of her face is so harsh because I was trying to keep the hair from going onto her face when I made the hair-lines (that's why part of it seems outlined in a darker color), while still getting painting out the background behind her. When (if?) this gets done, though, that will be fixed, along with the aforementioned sharpness of the individual hairs. :)

Thanks muchly for the comment! It helped me find some issues, heheh. :)

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited November 2007
    Haha what, why would you not want to post that stuff, especially the fish thing? That's so awesome, particularly the food fish and DaVinci sketch!

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    bombardier wrote: »
    Haha what, why would you not want to post that stuff, especially the fish thing? That's so awesome, particularly the food fish and DaVinci sketch!

lol, thanks for noticing what that one was. :P

And yeah, everybody loved the food version. That requirement was "your fish, made of other objects". I wish I could've redone parts, but it was fun to draw/paint.

Thank yuh for the kindly words :3

NightDragon on
  • Options
    NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    These projects are so excellent. Keep up the great work. I wish I had the time and effort to handle my projects the way you have.

:^:

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You're a ninja NightDragon. You don't post for a long time and then you're all "BAM! NOW WHAT?".

The fish in all different styles is especially awesome.

Tam on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    MUCHA!!!!!!!!!!!

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    NatriNatri Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man...

I remember first posting here and seeing your work, ND, and I'd say to myself "that's a pretty good artist over there".

Right now I'm so impressed by all the art you're doing and how much you've improved. This is really, really awesome.
    Kudos to you, ND!

Natri on
    www.instagram.com/ceneven
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm surprised how many people like the fish! :P I was expecting more "meh's".
    Natri wrote: »
    Man...

I remember first posting here and seeing your work, ND, and I'd say to myself "that's a pretty good artist over there".

Right now I'm so impressed by all the art you're doing and how much you've improved. This is really, really awesome.
    Kudos to you, ND!

Thank you muchly! :D

NightDragon on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ARE YOU READY FOR THE UGLY ART!?

You sound like Tom Brady or Bill Belichick.

"WE'RE ONLY WINNING BY THREE TOUCHDOWNS AND A FIELD GOAL! FUCK! WE SUCK!"

Seriously, I hope to someday get CLOSE to your attention to detail (especially in the way you do hair). Cool stuff.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Awesome. Though as an aspiring illustrator I cannot support book covers that do not feature illustrations.

rts on
  • Options
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My only problem with the cover is that it looks slightly too much like those inspirational posters that have been parodied to death on the internet:
    SuccessoriesAttitude.jpg

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on