Options

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (We can argue about it later. It'll be great!)

15678911»

• Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Negrodamus wrote: »
    Chance wrote: »
    The purpose of the troublesome endgame component is threefold:
    1) it ties into the Indiana Jones inspiration of the series. If you'll recall, every Indiana Jones movie has a supernatural element at some point (The Ark, the Grail et cetera). Let us not speak of IV and the science-fiction element which is arguably also a religious element.

2) the fact that this supernatural element essentially makes El Dorado a weapon of unimaginable power turns Nate's motivation on its head, changing him from selfish, charming treasure hunter to selfless, charming Protector of Mankind. (Zero to hero.)

3) Most important - fighting the monsters/demons whatever you want to call them is The Switch-Up. Not just in terms of plot, but of gameplay. After spending the entire game exclusively using the cover mechanic or Brutal combos, you are now expected to survive while running-and-gunning. It's a blow against boredom, and frankly I think the game's better for it.

That's right, goddamnit, I said it.
    Well shit.
    I do agree that the change of pace was a kick in the ass for the game. When they first showed up and flooded that room for a good 3 minutes, it was hectic.
    You made a good point there, and I am now neutral on the subject.
    I actually rather liked that change, especially after playing it a few more times. It's foreshadowed rather well, and adds a huge change of pace and new gameplay element. And, hey, I was scared as hell my first time through.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Chance, your reasons are well thought out and probably true for most people.

But I will never like the end of the game. I've tried, but that sudden change up in story/gameplay really rubbed me the wrong way.

Still, despite not really enjoying the final part, I still love the game. It's fun, plain and simple.

Graviija on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    chance pretty much summed up everything that makes the endgame plot totally appropriate. it's a simple but really well considered twist that makes nate take a red hot look at himself (and the ancestor he's pursuing) and learn something in the process.

plus
    nazis using a remote island centre to research incan black-magic as a weapon of war? that's the kind of alluded-to back story i dig

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I love how the twist in question wasn't shown off in advance, unlike a few other games on the same console. MGS4 is pretty guilty of this, some of the official screen shots released for that game were shocking. Also Haze seemed to flaunt its plot twist around.
    This is actually why i loved the zombies. I was just as surprised as the character Nate.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I knew it was coming and I loved it. I just wanted moooooore game.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Awesome

THIS.

I read somewhere that Uncharted was called a "videogame mixtape."
    And that's the most apt description ever.

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Haikira wrote: »
    I love how the twist in question wasn't shown off in advance, unlike a few other games on the same console. MGS4 is pretty guilty of this, some of the official screen shots released for that game were shocking. Also Haze seemed to flaunt its plot twist around.
    This is actually why i loved the zombies. I was just as surprised as the character Nate.

There was no plot twist in Haze.

Couscous on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wow, I must be the only one who doesn't like the combat. I find the aiming clunky, the enemies ability to take bullets and shrug them off frustrating, and melee combat to be pretty much useless.

I want more climbing and less shooting.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I knew about the plot twist from reading this thread before I got the game, so I was expecting it, but I still don't like those type of enemies. After playing that section and seeing that it wasn't as bad as I had suspected (the chapters do get shorter towards the end), I'm not nearly as bothered by the idea of replaying the game since Uncharted handles checkpoints with aplomb and rarely is any part of the game too annoying to just fudge your way through.

I especially like how medals give you rewards like a weapon selector. Sure, it's only usable when you're not in combat, but after beating the game and knowing what's coming up, being able to dial up a shotgut is damn sweet.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I knew about the change-up from playing the game. Seriously, how many people didn't see that coming?

Renzo on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Knew about the twist from the PA forums, but I found it really well-done in the context of the game.

God I love this game so much, if I had played it in 2007 I probably would have named it my Game of the Year That Isn't Rock Band.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    Haikira wrote: »

There was no plot twist in Haze.

I was under the impression the change of sides could have been a twist if it wasn't advertised. I haven't actually played it, nor have i read up on it much so I'll admit it was an uneducated statement.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    1) it ties into the Indiana Jones inspiration of the series. If you'll recall, every Indiana Jones movie has a supernatural element at some point (The Ark, the Grail et cetera). Let us not speak of IV and the science-fiction element which is arguably also a religious element.

2) the fact that this supernatural element essentially makes El Dorado a weapon of unimaginable power turns Nate's motivation on its head, changing him from selfish, charming treasure hunter to selfless, charming Protector of Mankind. (Zero to hero.)

3) Most important - fighting the monsters/demons whatever you want to call them is The Switch-Up. Not just in terms of plot, but of gameplay. After spending the entire game exclusively using the cover mechanic or Brutal combos, you are now expected to survive while running-and-gunning. It's a blow against boredom, and frankly I think the game's better for it.

That's right, goddamnit, I said it.

Really nice points you've got there and I completely agree.

Anyway, the trophy patch gave me a perfect excuse to get back into Uncharted and I've got to say, it's probably my favourite game this generation. I'm a huge MGS fanboy but, to be perfectly honest, MGS4 was paced pretty poorly. Uncharted on the hand hand, was paced bloody brilliantly. When you're just about to get bored of something, they switch stuff up and throw some new weapons at you, or the jetski/jeep sections.

Only got two more trophies to go, not including the Platinum one. I've got to kill 50 enemies with the Micro-9mm and finish the game on Crushing (which I'll start tonight). The only reason I haven't done the Micro-9mm trophy is because I want to do it last, just to see how much of an effect the Platinum one will make on my "PSN level".

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    MattitudeMattitude Paste Pot Pete Kicking The BucketRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Picked Uncharted up again when the trophies patch came out. It's even better than I remembered it to be got 47% of the trophies on one playthrough. gotta pick up half of the treasures, bunch of weapon trophies, and hard and crushing completions.

but hey, I had a level 1 profile, now I have a level 3!

Mattitude on
    I got this Tumblr and I don't know how to use it.
    Decide on the next line by the rhyme when I choose it.
    Also I put songs on YouTube
    The musings of this lonely rube.

I made a thread once. It didn't end well for me.
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Platinum trophy get!

Man, Crushing difficulty turns it into a whole new game. "Before I drop over the wall I'll toss a grenade into that corner, switch to the AK, drop down, take out the shotgunner before he can get a shot off, then stay behind the cover until the one with the Magnum rushes me. Let him get within ten feet, so when I kill him he drops the gun far away from the line-of-sight of the dude with the grenade launcher around the corner..."

Every single section becomes less of a shooting match and almost a puzzle to solve, step-by-step, learning the exact behavior of the AI and how you can negotiate it. A whole new game, seriously.

Anyway, level 4 now (whatever that means). Thanks Uncharted Trophy Patch, for givin' me something to do while I waited for Siren to show up!

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Platinum trophy get!

Man, Crushing difficulty turns it into a whole new game. "Before I drop over the wall I'll toss a grenade into that corner, switch to the AK, drop down, take out the shotgunner before he can get a shot off, then stay behind the cover until the one with the Magnum rushes me. Let him get within ten feet, so when I kill him he drops the gun far away from the line-of-sight of the dude with the grenade launcher around the corner..."

Every single section becomes less of a shooting match and almost a puzzle to solve, step-by-step, learning the exact behavior of the AI and how you can negotiate it. A whole new game, seriously.

Anyway, level 4 now (whatever that means). Thanks Uncharted Trophy Patch, for givin' me something to do while I waited for Siren to show up!

That's why I loved playing crushing. It was never really frustrating, and you never felt it was impossible. You just felt you had to strategize in order to get through.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    what kinda irks me is that
    the zombies were smart enough to build traps out of the plane and stuff ? wtf

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • Options
    MJMJ Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Platinum trophy get!

That's why I loved playing crushing. It was never really frustrating, and you never felt it was impossible. You just felt you had to strategize in order to get through.

I just finished it on crushing last night, and some parts really are unfair to the max though. Especially if you are loading a save at a checkpoint. When I loaded up my save last night I spawned
    on the second half of the ship at the end of the game. And so as soon as I spawned the guys would kill me with pinpoint accuracy before I could roll to cover which was at least two rolls away or one roll behind to the metal crate that nearly toppled on me before from the cutscene, in which one guy would still have a clear line of sight. And once you deal with them, the grenade guy comes and blows up my cover so Navarro could one shot me. You would have to be psychic to beat that part in one go. :x

Still though, it's my 3rd time through and that latest run was inteeense. I still have some run and gun trophies and weapon kills to get.

MJ on
    mino_mirror_punch2_sig.gif
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    AggroChan wrote: »
    what kinda irks me is that
    the zombies were smart enough to build traps out of the plane and stuff ? wtf

If you looked at the concept art, they were also smart enough to setup those human-looking stick figures all over the place. Thing is that I'm really thinking of though is that there was obviously a descendant (what the concept art calls them) inside of the U-Boat which killed all of the Germans within, but there is no sign of the creature. Is it on that island? Nothing was ever talked about on that part really.

I'd like to also say that this game was great, albeit short. I went through most of it in a day and finished the last two chapters in around half an hour or less. The only part I outright hated was
    the final jetski part when you only have the pistol and not the launcher. That part can go straight to hell.
    The only part I was ever stuck on was the final vine swing outside the fortress. I got it my second time trying, but I ended up dying after because I couldn't find my way around the wall and had to redo it like six more times to get back at the right height. Truly amazing package all around though and only small nitpicks really go against it.

One thing I'm wondering is if anyone else noticed that when Drake walked that he rarely touched the ground in many segments and actually looked more like he was sliding around than actually walking or if it was just me. I only saw it when nothing else was really going on and I was looking for treasures... in the heat of the moment it just wasn't noticable anymore.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If this is a spoiler, then everybody yell at me, but to make the jetski trip with the pistol easier, remember that you don't have to aim. I got through perfectly fine on crushing by just hauling ass past any bad guys while wailing on the fire button. Autoaim does all the work for you, and since you have infinite ammo on the jetski, you don't even have to reload a clip.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited August 2008
    did anyone else find this game sort of bland? I mean, it was perfectly well made. Goes through all the right motions. But the gameplay... It's like it's a jack of all trades, master of none etc.

I can't in good conscience call it a bad game, but I stopped playing because I wasn't excited by it. Like, I'd prefer to play Prince of Persia for the platforming and play RE4 for the shooting.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I have to agree. The game nearly put me to sleep the last time I played it. It's not that it's a bad game, it's just woefully unexciting and hard to be enthusiastic about. I love Amy Hennig, too.

I will say that the bit with the submarine was pretty awesome, though.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I hope the next game has more adventuring/exploration/platforming and less shooting mans from behind cover. I don't mind the shooting, but I absolutely love navigating the environments. Take the Fortress for example, it's a pretty awesome environment and I love just poking around it and looking for treasures after I'd killed everyone.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Nitsua wrote: »
    One thing I'm wondering is if anyone else noticed that when Drake walked that he rarely touched the ground in many segments and actually looked more like he was sliding around than actually walking or if it was just me. I only saw it when nothing else was really going on and I was looking for treasures... in the heat of the moment it just wasn't noticable anymore.

I think this was in one of the interviews; not the sliding thing, but how he runs. The guy who motion captured Nathan Drake, after seeing the character in the game, remarked "I walk like that? Why didn't anyone tell me I walk goofy!"

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    NegrodamusNegrodamus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, I started a new game saturday night on hard difficulty. Played well into sunday morning and got to Chapter 11.
    I forgot how much I enjoyed the first half of the jetski/grenade launcher segment...though the upriver section fucking sucked on normal, and I can't imagine the time I'll have with it on hard.

Up to this point, I've held the pistol and shotgun, only swapping out the pistol when I ran out of ammo. The AK-47 is just as weak as it was on my first playthrough, and the mini-smg is still a joke.

Negrodamus on
    XBL: P3rcyMiracl3s | PSN: gumby24
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Just beat it on Crushing, man I'm glad that's over.
    This game has taught me that anyone wearing this hat is a fucking dick.

AggroChan on
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just picked this up the other day since I was waiting for the trophy patch to hit. The game is as awesome as everyone's said, but holy hell do I ever suck at the shooting portion of it and I'm only playing on easy. :oops:

Jayricho on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Jayricho wrote: »
    I just picked this up the other day since I was waiting for the trophy patch to hit. The game is as awesome as everyone's said, but holy hell do I ever suck at the shooting portion of it and I'm only playing on easy. :oops:

just stay behind cover and plug someone full of lead and if you get shot, keep hiding.
    if there's someone fairly close to you and you think you can pull off a melee just fire once at them with R1 (without aiming) and melee, this'll result in a one-hit kill.

AggroChan on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Jayricho wrote: »

I feel your pain. My first taste of Uncharted was the demo, which kicked my ass six ways from Sunday, and turned me off the game for a few months till I gave it a rent.

Even then, I played it on easy and felt the game was severely difficult.

Months later, I bought myself a copy a few weeks before the patch hit, and eventually beat in on Crushing to unlock the platinum trophy. It wasn't until I played it on the difficulty that really is bogglingly difficult that I appreciated how good the gunplay element was.

It's excellent. So keep at it! There's a great game under all that pain.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    edit - nevermind, I'm just gonna play through it again. I really enjoy this game, and the graphics always impress :)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm late to the party all over G&T today, but I just beat Uncharted last night on Normal.

HOLY FUCKING CHRIST, that shit was good. This game alone was totally worth the entire price of the PS3. I loved every minute of it. Well, except when it turned into Doom3.

Two Thumbs Up. :^::^:

Houn on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You picked a good time to play Uncharted, this way you don't have to wait all that long for the sequel. :)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    greeble wrote: »
    You picked a good time to play Uncharted, this way you don't have to wait all that long for the sequel. :)

I was thinking the same thing, hehe. Already got my preorder in for InFamous.

Houn on
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    greeble wrote: »

I was thinking the same thing, hehe. Already got my preorder in for InFamous.

Finished this myself the other day for the first time. Monday night, I believe. Good stuff. Highly anticipating the sequel. I might even go through it again later. I already restarted it, but realized I have a few other games in my backlog that need to be finished up. But Drake has definitely made it onto my list of Great Games.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I dug out the Uncharted ring I got at PAX07 and stuck it proudly on my desk at work today.

Houn on
  • Options
    BrymBrym Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Apologies for exhuming this dead thread, but I started playing Uncharted this weekend. Holy hell, this game is ball-crushingly hard.

Brym on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I dug out the Uncharted ring I got at PAX07 and stuck it proudly on my desk at work today.

Is it the same ring Nathan wears around his neck? You wouldn't happen to have a picture of this ring? I want me an Uncharted ring :P

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Is it the same ring Nathan wears around his neck? You wouldn't happen to have a picture of this ring? I want me an Uncharted ring :P

Yes. Not my pic, but this is the ring they were handing out:
    tmpphp0gorqp.jpg

Houn on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Yes. Not my pic, but this is the ring they were handing out:
    tmpphp0gorqp.jpg

I have a triforce pendant. Wanna trade? :winky:

I know that's not your pic, but that looks like a nice little package. I would totally hang that picture on my wall :)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]