Options

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (We can argue about it later. It'll be great!)

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    At this point, the only thing that I'm not seeing that I wish I was, is some kinda co-op. This can make that 'Lasting Appeal' worth so much more. But who knows at this point, seems like more and more games come out with 'expansion packs' on PSN... hopefully Uncharted will get a co-op one. :)

it really won't. the producers have said from pretty much the get-go that multiplayer was never a real consideration, that it was a "turn the lights down and the sound up and get wrapped up in the story" sort of game. maybe we'll see it in a sequel

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ign's review had said that the A.I. for the female counterpart was pretty excellent, if that helps.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Eurogamer's review is up. edit: oops just noticed it linked above. I need to learn to read =P )

9/10

Somebody at Neogaf highlighted the review:

Naughty Dog has cooked up one of the most relentlessly entertaining, fat-free games to emerge in ages. Topped off with the most stunning use of the PS3's underused technical prowess yet, Uncharted: Drake's Progress is, for my money, the first must-have PlayStation 3 title.

in comes an action-adventure which sits somewhere between the architectural beauty of Ico and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, and the combat intensity of Resident Evil 4 and Gears of War. Far from being just another Tomb Raider, Uncharted, at times, feel like a wish-list of all the best bits of your favourite action games of the past five years.

Borrowing from all the best equivalents of recent years, it plumps for an 'aim and fire' approach which feels somewhere between Resident Evil 4, GRAW and Gears of War, albeit slicker and with a far greater control over your character than all of them.

To reiterate, when you factor in immensely fluid animation, superb controls, a flawless, ever-helpful camera system, decent enemy AI and an engaging non-cringeworthy storyline, the fact that there's also a visual feast on show is something to celebrate

In truth, it may take years before rival brands find themselves with game engines as effortlessly capable as this one. Truly, Uncharted is the first game I've seen to date that makes me wonder if it could be done on the Xbox 360, and as a huge admirer of the software line-up on Microsoft's system, that's saying a lot. [And it's going to get us in trouble again. -Frowny Ed]

And to top it all, even the audio's worthy of serious acclaim. Scored by non other than Greg Edmondson (of Firefly fame), the orchestral backdrop provides a suitably bombastic yet timeless accompaniment that's dictated by the ebb and flow of the action, never dominating proceedings, and always on hand to provide an appropriate palette that truly adds to an already dramatically involving game

Bamelin on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Woot, I just saw that this game is going to be in stores the 19th, and I just got a 10% off certificate from Best Buy good through the 19th, so I guess I'll be getting this with that.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Actually, from what I was reading at work today, Gamestop stores will have Uncharted on this Friday, the 16th.

Gives everyone time to play it before the game rush on the 20th.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Actually, from what I was reading at work today, Gamestop stores will have Uncharted on this Friday, the 16th.

God I hate you guys. PAL release is on the 5th of December... Woo... Hoo... :|

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited November 2007

That's what I've heard also. I'd probably buy it then from them, but then again if I did I wouldn't get to play it until the 19th anyway, as I'm out of town all weekend :x

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I'd be tempted to import it from the 'States but with so much else on at that time...

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    yeah, this is actually the first game i've bitten the bullet on and ordered from an importer. i end up saving $20 off the local rrp, even with a last-minute international courier decision for faster delivery

i'm making a point to the local game companies! we demand parity of pricing! it's not at all about me being impatient as hell and really excited

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    TeeMan wrote: »

I'd be tempted to import it from the 'States but with so much else on at that time...

I considered importing it but with 1-2 weeks shipping, I may as well wait. Plus R&C just got released and I've already got a shit-ton of other games I need to play.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Just got the demo last night. It always surprises me, though it shouldn't, that my enjoyment of a game can have a direct correlation to how many wrestling maneuvers I can perform. The first time I did the...what's it called? 'Brutal combo?' I did the Enzuigiri. Last time I played I ran directly at a guy and did a missile drop kick.

Sold.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So this game comes out tomorrow. I was fully intent on picking it up, but now I'm not sure I will. I looked at some reviews and the scores are very high, 90% on Gamespy and IGN, but they both comment on how very short it is. I'm really getting tired of spending 60 USD on five to six hour games, and I don't think I can do it anymore. LAIR and Heavenly Sword were both that length, and now the next big game Uncharted is that way, too? I really hope this doesn't keep becoming a huge trend in the industry as time goes by - raise the price and lower the length.

I know it's a good game, but there are too many games this season and not enough money, and I want to spend that money on something that'll give me the best bang for my buck. A five hour game isn't necessarily going to do that, or be the best possible choice.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    But the reviewers are also saying that Uncharted doesn't drag it's feet and try to artificially make the game length longer, which I would argue is a benefit

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    So this game comes out tomorrow. I was fully intent on picking it up, but now I'm not sure I will. I looked at some reviews and the scores are very high, 90% on Gamespy and IGN, but they both comment on how very short it is. I'm really getting tired of spending 60 USD on five to six hour games, and I don't think I can do it anymore. LAIR and Heavenly Sword were both that length, and now the next big game Uncharted is that way, too? I really hope this doesn't keep becoming a huge trend in the industry as time goes by - raise the price and lower the length.

I know it's a good game, but there are too many games this season and not enough money, and I want to spend that money on something that'll give me the best bang for my buck. A five hour game isn't necessarily going to do that, or be the best possible choice.

I hear it's 8-10 hours from reviewers and stuff, and the developer says average 10-12 hours, so it's longer than HS, and I believe it comes with more difficulty levels and unlockables than HS, so it's at least more bang for your buck than HS. I'm happy with it anyway, but then again I was happy with HS.

And also, yeah it doesn't try and artificially make itself longer, which is something I applaud. HS did this, and it did make the game short, but every single piece of the game was fun and worth it to play, so I don't mind at all if Uncharted is the same, especially with extra difficulties and it's just generally longer too.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    man this obsession with game length has to bloody stop. game stories aren't there to be bloated out like dead whales, they have to start telling crafted, direct tales that resound with the player. you can't do that with a 30 zillion hour game with a hundred generic side missions. uncharted looks to be finely honed so that there isn't any of that fluff. good on them.

i fear for the future of storytelling in games if this stubborn attention to 'HOWM ANY HOURS!!' continues

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wow, I said it was a good game, man. And there are plenty of games that have good length without being filled with filler. But when this season is filled with dozens of interesting games, each game being sixty dollars, I want to spend what little money I have left on a game that'll be both a good experience and story with a good length. Sixty dollars is a lot to spend on a game you can beat THE SAME DAY. In that case, a rental is probably better, since you can rent games for several days for only a few dollars.

If what Radikal said is true, that the average length is 10-12 hours, then I'm fine with it and will probably get it. But I'm sick of spending so much money on five to six hour games in a season crammed with too many potential purchases. That's all I'm saying.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Shorter playlengths even make me want to replay the game, which I rarely do with the really long ones

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Shorter playlengths even make me want to replay the game, which I rarely do with the really long ones

Same. I'm on my third playthrough of Heavenly Sword, and I pretty near literally never go through a game three times.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    don't worry dashui, i'm not responding to you... entirely. you just reminded me of a pet peeve. i don't care if you think it's the shit or just shit on toast. what i do care about is games with wonderful stories getting panned for being too short. you can't make a great story without throwing out fluff - it's rule one of writing. no other medium would get away with so much arbitrary filler in their narratives, but these days it seems like gamers practically demand it. illiterate fools!

i'd much rather a short game with lots of reason to replay it (uncharted, for example, has flexible and challenging ai, lots of room for alternate strategies, and a shit load of unlockables) than a really really long one that piles on forgetable side-missions, boring hours of dialogue and endlessly repeated stock scenarios

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I got my call and am really excited to pick this up tomorrow.

Between this and Assassin's Creed, I'm in smooth animation heaven, if there is such a thing.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Bad planning on my part, won't be able to pick this up till next wed. UGH, maybe I can do some pan handling.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Just got it. The guy at Gamespot didn't want to sell me it at first, because I didn't have a preorder :(, but then when I was about to leave he said "hang on" and he was calling someone (probably his boss), and the boss didn't answer, so he went ahead and sold it to me. Woo. Too bad I only have an hour and a half to play it until tuesday anyway, haha.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Bump for impressions: I've played about an hour and a half to two hours, and it's pretty awesome so far. There isn't that much gunfighting in the first bit. It's mostly story, but the story is really intriguing and really makes you want to see the thing through. The characters are great so far, too. The first part was a lot of jumping about and learning those controls. The gunfighting that I did play was still superb, just like the demo.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm surprised this game isn't getting more hype. I just picked it up, although -- ironically? -- I've been playing Assassin's Creed too much to play this game yet. Loved the demo and will probably play it shortly. It seems like a nice bit of variety from the stealthy pace of AC.

Timmer on
  • Options
    SpikedFreakSpikedFreak Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    oh noes. I'm going to be on a little trip this weekend. Damn you outside world events, you're getting in the way of my gaming time.

SpikedFreak on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm going to hold myself back for a few days as well, let my local indie store get it in stock. Meanwhile, I'm playing the everliving fuck out of the demo. Having been a while since I played Gears of War, I forgot how, as they say, "easy to learn, difficult to master" the cover system was and is. It clicked a couple days ago now just how mobile I am, so now I'm trying to strike the balance between "moving comfortably while in a firefight" and "moving comfortably to my death."

While somewhat off-topic, I'll mention that I wish this game came with a bonus survival mode, where you got a huge set piece, with several enemy spawns around the perimeter, and you just fight and fight and fight. Man.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Assassins Creed has spoiled me. I keep loading up Uncharteds demo thinking I can just run and climb on everything. BAH

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I walked into EB on friday to pick this up but the shipment never came in. Can't get it anywhere in town until monday at the earliest. I'm pissed. I was really looking forward to playing this all weekend.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    xboxxerxboxxer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yes, but short games, even brilliant ones, need to have SOMETHING to encourage another play through.

Look at Heavenly Sword -- brilliant freaking game. And I would almost argue that the final boss fight has effects that I think could potentially choke the 360. So really, a stand out game. I remember thinking, as I was playing it -- this is hella fun, I'm definitely going to replay this level after I beat the game.

But then I beat it, and there was really no reason to go play it again. No advancement, nothing (useful) to unlock (I'm not really interested in more concept art). So ... I haven't touched it again. Which is a crying shame. Heck, even achievements might've extended the game length for me, or compelled me to replay it.

Short games are fine, but if they're going to be short, they should at least have high replayability.

xboxxer on
    PSN: Entair / XBLive: White Seraph
  • Options
    SchmeckleSchmeckle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Unfortunately, I don't have time to play this game. Suddenly tons of good games started coming out for the Playstation 3 and I am finally in heaven. R&C, Assassins Creed, EoJ, and Folklore are all on my list before I am able to play Uncharted. But if I get an Xbox 360 for Christmas, I will have tons of other games that I would play before Uncharted probably. The visuals of this game do look stunning though and I intend on playing it whenever I find time. After seeing this press kit that sold for $200+ on eBay, I decided to put my Naughty Dog autographed concept print that I got from PAX on there and hope to make some extra Christmas cash.

Schmeckle on
  • Options
    robcat09robcat09 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Schmeckle wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I don't have time to play this game. Suddenly tons of good games started coming out for the Playstation 3 and I am finally in heaven. R&C, Assassins Creed, EoJ, and Folklore are all on my list before I am able to play Uncharted. But if I get an Xbox 360 for Christmas, I will have tons of other games that I would play before Uncharted probably. The visuals of this game do look stunning though and I intend on playing it whenever I find time. After seeing this press kit that sold for $200+ on eBay, I decided to put my Naughty Dog autographed concept print that I got from PAX on there and hope to make some extra Christmas cash.

wow, is NO one playing this game?

assassin's creed is getting all of MY time right now. Until it crashes, that is.

robcat09 on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm waiting till Christmas for this game, because I'm dropping $170 on Rock Band. So.. I'll take all the free games I can get, haha.

I can't wait to get my hands on it though. Thank God we're so close to Christmas.

Edit: I actually got to talk with one of the guys who I guess was on the mo-cap team that worked with ND. He said that they did an insane amount of pre-production, and build the plane set (from that cinematic where it crashes) to scale, so the actors could interact with it directly and they wouldn't have to worry about hands going through boxes and stuff.

Also he pointed out that in one of the making-of videos (the one where they talk about mocap) you can see a tiny doll made out of mocap sensor balls stuck to some of the equipment when all the computers and such are in view. They were bored :P

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    robcat09 wrote: »
    wow, is NO one playing this game?

That'd be a huge mistake -- this game deserves to be played among AC and ME. It's just pure game fun! I hope it sees more action as I'd love to have sequels. This game has probably one of the best adventure team duos. And I just found out the score is done by the same person who did Firefly/Serenity which explains a lot -- the music is fantastic.

Timmer on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    probably this will be the game I get when I buy a ps3 (hopefully in the next few months). R&C is the only one I'd consider but I don't know length and whatnot on that and this just seems far more interesting.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    NegrodamusNegrodamus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Can't wait to get this.
    It's the single reason there is still a PS3 in my house.

Negrodamus on
    XBL: P3rcyMiracl3s | PSN: gumby24
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm playing this and thankfully this is the first thing that has made me proud to have a PS3!

Something that people aren't talking about NO LOAD TIMES. Seriously. Like EVER.

And I am not talking about elevators or clever doors or hallways to hide loading times, I mean the thing simply never loads. It's costantly caching though... I can hear the ps3 just churning away (it's over my head to the right so it's close like a foot or so away)

Also, lack of a HUD. That is nice. The whole -when you're hurt it turns black and white- thing is cool.

The only thing that threw me was a puzzle where you had to hit the X button over and over to pull something up. I had been playing Conan which has a solid icon for when to hold the button and a flashing one when you need to mash it over and over. Well, in this game I had to mash it but the icon was solid - took me a good minute to figure out why the stupid door wasn't opening.

Also - unlike Conan (which I have on the 360) when you die it doesn't take FOREVER to start over . You just die and you pop right back up again. I think the future is here now just because of this thing not having load times.

I didn't read reviews so I was really really surprised by the
    sub on the waterfall
    Right then and there I was hooked on the story

useless4 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I agree with everything you say useless. This game doesn't seem like it has much 'next gen' hype but really it's all there, but just underneath the hood since above all it's just trying to be fun.

Chapter 11:
    I just got to the monastary island:
    1. OMG the upriver part is fun!
    2. This dark jungle look is awesome!
    3. I can't believe I felt so sad for her when she had to lose her camera. It's a camera! Yet, I knew how much it meant to her and the music was so somber...

It's amazing to me how much every new area looks better than the last and how well-developed these characters are in this game. I don't think I've liked and cared what's happened to in-game characters this much in a long time.

Timmer on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I beat the game in 6 hours and 55 minutes according to my save file (on Normal, except for three fights which I found waaaay too difficult so I cranked it down for a moment) and it was quite enjoyable. The load times thing is indeed impressive, it's probably the most seamless game I've played this year. I saw some textures pop in 5 or so times during my whole playthrough. As I mentioned earlier, I found the difficulty to be a little uneven in places. Other than that, an enjoyable ride. Reminded me of a Clive Cussler story.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I hate this game on the sole basis that this guy isn't a decedent of Sir Francis Drake. I am.

Why am I not in this game?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    brynstar wrote: »
    I beat the game in 6 hours and 55 minutes according to my save file (on Normal, except for three fights which I found waaaay too difficult so I cranked it down for a moment) and it was quite enjoyable. The load times thing is indeed impressive, it's probably the most seamless game I've played this year. I saw some textures pop in 5 or so times during my whole playthrough. As I mentioned earlier, I found the difficulty to be a little uneven in places. Other than that, an enjoyable ride. Reminded me of a Clive Cussler story.

Uh-oh.. I don't want this to end. I know I've been playing for at least 8 hours. Of course, real-time usually never matches what save-games tell you. I'm hoping I still have a while to go. This is the longest I've played a single-player game non-stop in years. (Going on 6 hours right now today.)

Timmer on