Options

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (We can argue about it later. It'll be great!)

• Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This game is awesome! I bought it this morning and have been playing it for hours.

If you own a PS3 buy this game, definitely worth the $60. You don't want to rent this game, you'll want to keep it to unlock rewards and earn medals (think achievements). You'll also want to keep it around to show your friends. (Better than R&C imo, or any other PS3 game, except for possibly Warhawk but only if you have friends to play with)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    probably this will be the game I get when I buy a ps3 (hopefully in the next few months). R&C is the only one I'd consider but I don't know length and whatnot on that and this just seems far more interesting.

R&C is pretty long. While I'm not entirely sure exactly how long I've been playing it, I've put in some substantial time on both friday and today (sunday) and I'm not even sure if I'm near the end yet.

brynstar: 7 hours? Did you rush through the game or something? I mean, I'm not someone that usually cares much about length (by the end of the game I'd rather want to play it more than be burnt out on it, like I did with FFXII) but that's a lot less than even the reviewers estimated.

greeble: Yeah, I was eyeing your name with envy when I saw it below your name. :lol:

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well he did say according to the save game file. Those times are always much shorter than real-life time spent... unless you never die or anything. I am stopping for the night but I put in an hour the other day and at least 9 hours today. I think I'm nearing the end though *sigh* ... I could seriously play this game for days.

Timmer on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What this game needs is some Halo 3 advertising. I think its worthy of its own Fuel drink ;-)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Just finished the game -- come on sequels!!

My saved game file said mine was 11 hours 48 mins. I played on Hard. I think I'm going to have to go back and play on Brutal. I highly recommend watching the Making Of videos, too.

A very solid 9/10 for me. Really it could be a 10 game but there's a few lose game control issues -- got those cleared up in the sequel and it'll be perfect. Also, I got to say, one of the better game stories ever. Could easily be a movie.

Timmer on
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just beat it. Fan. Tas. Tic.

My only gripe is that I wanted mooooooore

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh shit teh PS3 has GAEMZ?

This and Ratchet and Clank will hit me on Christmas like a sack of colorful bricks. Ive already spent way too much money on EOJ and a new wireless router.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

This and Ratchet and Clank will hit me on Christmas like a sack of colorful bricks. Ive already spent way too much money on EOJ and a new wireless router.

About your sig: they have those now for the PS3? And if so, any smaller ones? I wouldn't mind having my PS3 and 360 ones at the same time, but now if they're going to be that big.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    .la1n.la1n Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This game truly needs more credit and exposure then it is apparently getting. If you own a PS3 you need to get this game, it's not a toss up in the air like heavenly sword or lair was. I have had an absolute blast playing and it's only 3 hours in, the storytelling, art direction, and musical score are simply fantastic. I know it's not a long game but I can tell you from what iv'e played so far you don't have to worry about the action letting up on you.

As for the graphics, I'm not a reviewer and I know they've noticed tearing or what have you but honestly Iv'e noticed nothing, except that the graphics engine is really a testament to what the PS3 can do.

Anyway, don't wanna gush but I didn't want this thread on the second page dammit :P

.la1n on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ok, I'm completely stuck on chapter 5
    I'm in a long hallways with water on the bottom, and some walkways near the top. I killed the machine gunner at the long end and the other guy on the walkway. Now what the hell do I do? I can't figure this out at all. I have no idea where I'm supposed to go, and anything I can climb on leads nowhere and anything that seems like it'd be the way to go, I can't get to or climb on at all...

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    geestackgeestack Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just beat this over the weekend, and to sum it all up, it was amazing. Everything that needs to be said has already been done so, so I won't repeat any of it.

Just have to say, I was really impressed by the story, especially the part where
    you find out that there's more to the island than just pirates and mercenaries.

This game has me wanting a damned sequel already.

geestack on
  • Options
    geestackgeestack Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm in a long hallways with water on the bottom, and some walkways near the top. I killed the machine gunner at the long end and the other guy on the walkway. Now what the hell do I do? I can't figure this out at all. I have no idea where I'm supposed to go, and anything I can climb on leads nowhere and anything that seems like it'd be the way to go, I can't get to or climb on at all...

If you're at the part where I think you are,
    there should be some barrels behind the machine gun, if you shoot those, it'll blow apart some blocks and create a ledge where you can climb up from.

Oh, and sorry for the two quick replies 8-)

geestack on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    geestack wrote: »

If you're at the part where I think you are,
    there should be some barrels behind the machine gun, if you shoot those, it'll blow apart some blocks and create a ledge where you can climb up from.

Oh, and sorry for the two quick replies 8-)
    Geeze, that was kind of unnecessary. I couldn't even see that barrel at all. It was just a tiny sliver on the screen...

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    You're supposed to climb up on the ledge there and find a grenade launcher.

It makes things a bit easier.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Phonehand wrote: »

Yeah, I picked up that gun, saw it had only a few bullets, and promptly picked up my previous one, and then I completely forgot about it. Oh well.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Yeah, I picked up that gun, saw it had only a few bullets, and promptly picked up my previous one, and then I completely forgot about it. Oh well.

One thing on the weapons. If they give you a different kind of weapon with low ammo it's there because you're supposed to use it right there. At first I held on to my faves then I began to realize I can still hold them but exchange the "use this for here" weapon temporarily then go grab my full-ammo standard gun after.

I really give the designers lots of kudos on their placement.

About 1/2 way through:
    I still love the first time you get the grenade launcher down in that water-filled tunnel with the machine gunner at the other end. Big grin on my face!

Timmer on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dashui wrote: »

About your sig: they have those now for the PS3? And if so, any smaller ones? I wouldn't mind having my PS3 and 360 ones at the same time, but now if they're going to be that big.

http://www.ps3tags.com/

As you can see Ive made mine smaller, they have all kinds of sizes to choose from.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    NegrodamusNegrodamus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm stuck on Chapter 4...near the beginning of it
    After climbing on the outside of the fortress, going in through the window, and coming back out. You have to climb down the wall, swing on 2 small vines, and go around the corner.

Right here, around the corner, I'm stuck. I can't fucking get past that long vine. I've tried swinging near the top, in the middle, at the very bottom, and at the very top. But he always ends up being a mile short of the next handhold :x

Negrodamus on
    XBL: P3rcyMiracl3s | PSN: gumby24
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Saturated colors? Real next-gen is HDR and brown/gray. Everything is brown or gray. Gears of War Gray is Crayola's next crayon, basically, followed closely by Unreal Tournament 3 Brown.

Messing with my "Rewards"
    By the way you were right. Nex-Gen filter is brownish with lots of bloom, hilarious. :lol:

greeble on

I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    my order shipped today!

let's hope my courier is racing dramatically against the diminishing week, perhaps in his own pacific adventure of pirates and explosions, to get here by friday

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    greeble wrote: »
    Saturated colors? Real next-gen is HDR and brown/gray. Everything is brown or gray. Gears of War Gray is Crayola's next crayon, basically, followed closely by Unreal Tournament 3 Brown.

By the way you were right. Nex-Gen filter is brownish with lots of bloom, hilarious. :lol:

heaven forbid two games based in a gritty war torn world use colors that show that grittiness. Did you want Marcus Fenix to go gallivanting through a field of daisies wiping out panda bears?

on a serious note, this game is colorful and I like colorful ;;thumbs up

.la1n on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Negrodamus wrote: »
    I'm stuck on Chapter 4...near the beginning of it
    After climbing on the outside of the fortress, going in through the window, and coming back out. You have to climb down the wall, swing on 2 small vines, and go around the corner.

Right here, around the corner, I'm stuck. I can't fucking get past that long vine. I've tried swinging near the top, in the middle, at the very bottom, and at the very top. But he always ends up being a mile short of the next handhold :x
    Hmm there's a couple of these and I'm not sure I remember this exact one. If you haven't gotten past it yet, I'd suggest making sure you give it a few good runs in each direction before jumping. Also, as a tip, there was nothing, once figured out, that was really 'hard' or weird. So if it seems you just can't make it, probably you can't and there's another path that you're missing. Dunno if that helps.. :!:

Timmer on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    There was a gerenade launcher earlier in the game then what was mentioned above.

I picked it up on accident thinking it was the shotgun and blew up lots of people.

I got stuck a couple times but I had "hold l2 for hints" pop up... is that a setting based on my difficulty or am I just taking REALLY long time to solve some puzzles?

useless4 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    useless4 wrote: »
    There was a gerenade launcher earlier in the game then what was mentioned above.

I picked it up on accident thinking it was the shotgun and blew up lots of people.

I got stuck a couple times but I had "hold l2 for hints" pop up... is that a setting based on my difficulty or am I just taking REALLY long time to solve some puzzles?

I think some areas it'll do that right away; other areas I think if it sees you in one place for a while it'll give you that little hint.

Timmer on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I wasn't sure if this was actually a joke reward or not but I thought it was hilarious

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Bought it yesterday. Played it from beginning to end overnight. Just couldn't put it down and force myself to get some sleep. Collected 51/60 treasures and know where at least 2 more are, but couldn't figure out how to get to them for the life of me. 460/1000 "Medal points" awarded. First run-through took me about 12 hours but that's because I tried to go through everything with a fine-toothed comb. Collecting those remaining 9 pieces of treasure is gonna be a bitch.

I was glad to see, in the full version, a proper explanation of how the timing of the Brutal Combo works. Once I had that down I was runnin and gunnin from the hip and following up with fisticuffs at every opportunity. Can't remember which game site said the melée was crap and not to use it, but they obviously didn't pay attention to the tutorial on how to properly execute it in the opening scene. Besides being insanely fun, it gives you the ammo bonus as well.

Getting stealth kills is another matter. It's ridiculously hard to get up behind somebody without someone else raising the alarm and warning your target. I managed to get two in a row ,without alerting anyone, in the church, and had what I thought was a surefire 3rd lined up. There's a fella sitting up on top of a pew on the lefthand side with his back to you. It's absolutely no trouble to get behind him, but when you hit the square button to grab him it turns out he's outta reach. Then all Hell breaks loose. I wanted to get the stealth medal, which only requires 20 stealth kills, but I couldn't even get that many over the entirety of the game.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    You might have realized this already but you only need to melee kill them from behind, doesn't necessarily have to be stealthy. Sometimes you can run up to a pillar close to them and shoot at the dude from one side so he focuses his attention there, then slip around the back and choke him from behind.

I can't believe how little attention this game is getting, its fucking awesome. I'm sure having Mass Effect out at the same time doesn't help.

greeble on

• Options
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I hope it gains steam because this deserves to be Naughty Dog's franchise for this generation. If they can keep the same production values or even improve them (and same actors!) and make future stories that expand the characters, relationships and do it with kick ass game play and more cinematic events (ala the 'blow up the jeep for a bridge'), it'd be gaming heaven.

I've started playing the game again on Crushing. Although just for a bit -- trying to get further with AC, too. It's one of the only games I've ever wanted to play again right after beating it.

Timmer on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    This shit feels like I'm playing a movie. It's so well done.
    I've never been this drawn to cutscenes before.

If you have a PS3, you need this game.

Negrodamus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    You might have realized this already but you only need to melee kill them from behind, doesn't necessarily have to be stealthy. Sometimes you can run up to a pillar close to them and shoot at the dude from one side so he focuses his attention there, then slip around the back and choke him from behind.

I can't believe how little attention this game is getting, its fucking awesome. I'm sure having Mass Effect out at the same time doesn't help.

Yeah, I did do that a couple of times when sharing opposites sides of the same piece of cover. Just didn't do it enough. So much more satisfying when you get them out in the open, completely unawares.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I wasn't sure if this was actually a joke reward or not but I thought it was hilarious

if you watch the first "making of" featurette under your bonus stuff then you'll see that it is a joke, when they started development on uncharted they intentionally decided to make it colorful since everything else 'next gen' was a lot of browns and bloom effects.

edit: people need to quit playing assassins creed and get in on some good platforming / combat.

.la1n on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm not sure now if I want to start a second play-through on Hard or go back through the chapter selection to complete the treasure hunting.

What has been done to increase difficulty?
    a) more grenades flying at you
    b) flanked more often
    c) Increased damage from enemy weapons
    d) More waves
    e) Less ammo laying around
    f) Is the platforming less forgiving (i.e. ledges crumble faster)
    g) All of the above

I won't be able to find out for myself until at least tomorrow.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm not sure now if I want to start a second play-through on Hard or go back through the chapter selection to complete the treasure hunting.

b) flanked more often
    d) More waves
    g) All of the above

I did my first playthrough on Hard. It's not super hard but there were some sections that probably took me 30-45 mins to get through alive. I just started Crushing...

But what I wanted to make sure you know is you can start a new game at higher level and keep your treasures, etc. So it's a new game but you're continuing the unlocking stuff (ie, treasures you found won't be in the game but those you haven't will, etc). It's VERY cool!

Oh and since I can't compare not really sure about your list. I know you near instantly die on Crushing on the boat sequence so definitely "Increased damage from enemies". I also thing the AI is more aggressive.

Timmer on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Timmer wrote: »

b) flanked more often
    d) More waves
    g) All of the above

I did my first playthrough on Hard. It's not super hard but there were some sections that probably took me 30-45 mins to get through alive. I just started Crushing...

But what I wanted to make sure you know is you can start a new game at higher level and keep your treasures, etc. So it's a new game but you're continuing the unlocking stuff (ie, treasures you found won't be in the game but those you haven't will, etc). It's VERY cool!

Oh and since I can't compare not really sure about your list. I know you near instantly die on Crushing on the boat sequence so definitely "Increased damage from enemies". I also thing the AI is more aggressive.

But because I have it completed on normal I can now go to specific locations via the chapter selection. I know where 2 more of the treasures are, so I was going to skip to those locations and figure out how the hell I'm supposed to reach them. Plus I wanna try for a speed run on hard, seeing as how I took my time treasure hunting in normal.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Anyone else notice that it takes upwards of 6 shots to kill a dude with the AK-47 or Mini Uzi (if you don't get a headshot)?

Negrodamus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Negrodamus wrote: »
    Anyone else notice that it takes upwards of 6 shots to kill a dude with the AK-47 or Mini Uzi (if you don't get a headshot)?

Yes, that's probably the only source of game play frustration I had in this game. Especially the final chapter:
    Hiding behind crates trying to shoot at the baddies when you have limited ammo and limited time, I yelled at the screen so much when it took me 60 bullets to kill a guy! I'd empty half a mag at one guy and watch him wail in pain as bullets riddle his body, his helmet flying off (how cool is that, btw?), and then as I ducked back behind the crate, watch him pick up his hole-filled-body and start shooting back at me -- uhm, WTF?

Timmer on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It should not take 60 to kill a guy try firing in bursts, the automatic weapons become very inaccurate after 3 shots or so. (It definitely does seem weaker than the pistol though... but 6 should be max).

I've only just started on hard. So I really can't say, but got the Brutal Expert on the boat without any trouble though. I figured on the first play through I'd just enjoy, the game next few I'll go back and work on some medals. (One thing I did notice is that blowing up the barrels on the boats didn't kill the guys on the boats had to finishe them off with a few shots)

greeble on

• Options
    edited November 2007
    It should not take 60 to kill a guy
    I agree -- it shouldn't! ;)

Let me know when you get to that on Hard. It could be my lack of skills but still felt weird (compared to the rest of the game which is spot on.

I got the guys with the barrels on the boat. I think though they move around and explosions in this game aren't a big radius so if they aren't close to the barrels, they could live. Although it didn't happen as much as with HL2, I still had to laugh when I would throw a grenade into a pack of guys and they all lived -- part of it though is I never got the hang of tiling to the controller for grenades.

I'm also going to try to melee more this time around as you get more ammo. I just completely forgot about it once I got going. Also saw some videos showing a creative way of shooting some people so will try to look for more non-obvious ways of getting through areas next time around.

Timmer on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Let me know when you get to that on Hard. It could be my lack of skills but still felt weird (compared to the rest of the game which is spot on.

Ahh you were talking about hard... it could very well take that many, I haven't gotten there yet.

greeble on

• Options
    edited November 2007

Ahh you were talking about hard... it could very well take that many, I haven't gotten there yet.

Oh god... near the end:
    The game really freaking took a turn for the creepy D:

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg