Options

Metal Gear Solid 4 delayed to Q2 of 2008: Inflammatory Thread Title Here

2456714

Posts

  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This is funny because of the original MGS4 trailer that at the end said Coming 2008 as a joke.

    AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I know its an old topic but I didn't want to make a new topic for this in case it was old news.

    slight spoiler about Raidens character for MGS4
    I was just reading last months Official PSM3 magazine (UK) and it had a rundown on the characters in MGS4 including Olga's daughter. The interesting part was where they quoted the designer as saying that Raiden was "Falling apart" and was " little more than a head and spine in a super suit". Just thought that was kinda interesting since Raidens apparently been eviscerated since MGS2.
    Why? Is he supposed to be a genetically altered soldier that can keep his form together or did he get horribly mangled? Interesting but I dunno... This game sounds like it will be MGS2 weird x 10.

    Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Well, look at the bright side. There'll be another seven price changes before this comes out.

    Fixed that for you.

    Three of them will be price increases.

    Couscous on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This is funny because of the original MGS4 trailer that at the end said Coming 2008 as a joke.

    Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Heh.

    slash000 on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I say that MGS4 hits in summer, and GTA IV waits until fall. Makes more sense that way.

    Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's gonna be tough trying to move over 1 million units of that game on launch day.
    Warning: Below the Belt:
    It's going to be even tougher trying to sell 1 million PS3's to go along with it.

    In all seriousness though, I hope the delay puts some polish on the MP. I'm still wondering how they're gonna do aiming in MP servers in game, 3rd person shooter or Japanese auto lock?

    Smashism on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Cokomon wrote: »
    I know its an old topic but I didn't want to make a new topic for this in case it was old news.

    slight spoiler about Raidens character for MGS4
    I was just reading last months Official PSM3 magazine (UK) and it had a rundown on the characters in MGS4 including Olga's daughter. The interesting part was where they quoted the designer as saying that Raiden was "Falling apart" and was " little more than a head and spine in a super suit". Just thought that was kinda interesting since Raidens apparently been eviscerated since MGS2.
    Why? Is he supposed to be a genetically altered soldier that can keep his form together or did he get horribly mangled? Interesting but I dunno... This game sounds like it will be MGS2 weird x 10.


    It wasn't that indepth but that was definetly a very precise description and it makes sense considering he does look kinda dead and bleeds white.

    DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    This is funny because of the original MGS4 trailer that at the end said Coming 2008 as a joke.

    Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Heh.

    That's exactly what I thought of when I saw this thread (which I somehow missed over the last couple of days). I wonder what Kojima has to say about this delay. Or, well, not what he has to say. I just want to know what tone he would have with it.

    Henroid on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    They can delay this all they want, really. So long as more delays = more ass kicking MGS goodness when it comes out.

    AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm wondering if this update has anything to do with a planned 'simultaneous release' of MGS4 worldwide?

    Kami on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Kami wrote: »
    I'm wondering if this update has anything to do with a planned 'simultaneous release' of MGS4 worldwide?

    What's with the quote marks around that simultaneous release bit?

    Henroid on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    Kami wrote: »
    I'm wondering if this update has anything to do with a planned 'simultaneous release' of MGS4 worldwide?

    What's with the quote marks around that simultaneous release bit?

    Well, has it actually been confirmed? I know Konami/Kojima Productions love their simultaneous releases, and I think that by doing so, selling a million copies on day one won't be as difficult as people think.

    They may just be shifting around dates for purely financial reasons.

    Kami on
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Kami wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Kami wrote: »
    I'm wondering if this update has anything to do with a planned 'simultaneous release' of MGS4 worldwide?

    What's with the quote marks around that simultaneous release bit?

    Well, has it actually been confirmed? I know Konami/Kojima Productions love their simultaneous releases, and I think that by doing so, selling a million copies on day one won't be as difficult as people think.

    They may just be shifting around dates for purely financial reasons.

    Interesting speculation Kami. If they did do it for financial reasons would it be because of a conflicting date with another major release? I can't think of any.

    This is all speculation of course, as most forum posts are.

    Smashism on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    Kami wrote: »
    I'm wondering if this update has anything to do with a planned 'simultaneous release' of MGS4 worldwide?

    What's with the quote marks around that simultaneous release bit?

    Funnily enough he put quote marks there because he is quoting directly.


    Also, no matter which Q they say it will be released in, Q1, Q2 or Q3 or 4, it still means October.

    The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Kami wrote: »
    I'm wondering if this update has anything to do with a planned 'simultaneous release' of MGS4 worldwide?

    What's with the quote marks around that simultaneous release bit?

    Funnily enough he put quote marks there because he is quoting directly.


    Also, no matter which Q they say it will be released in, Q1, Q2 or Q3 or 4, it still means October.

    Lol. Good one.

    Smashism on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Smashism wrote: »
    Kami wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Kami wrote: »
    I'm wondering if this update has anything to do with a planned 'simultaneous release' of MGS4 worldwide?

    What's with the quote marks around that simultaneous release bit?

    Well, has it actually been confirmed? I know Konami/Kojima Productions love their simultaneous releases, and I think that by doing so, selling a million copies on day one won't be as difficult as people think.

    They may just be shifting around dates for purely financial reasons.

    Interesting speculation Kami. If they did do it for financial reasons would it be because of a conflicting date with another major release? I can't think of any.

    This is all speculation of course, as most forum posts are.

    Yeah, that very well could be the case, however releasing your game in Q1 is a pretty safe bet, as not alot of other major titles are released during that time (as compared to the holiday season rush, that is).

    Kami on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Kami wrote: »
    Smashism wrote: »
    Kami wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Kami wrote: »
    I'm wondering if this update has anything to do with a planned 'simultaneous release' of MGS4 worldwide?

    What's with the quote marks around that simultaneous release bit?

    Well, has it actually been confirmed? I know Konami/Kojima Productions love their simultaneous releases, and I think that by doing so, selling a million copies on day one won't be as difficult as people think.

    They may just be shifting around dates for purely financial reasons.

    Interesting speculation Kami. If they did do it for financial reasons would it be because of a conflicting date with another major release? I can't think of any.

    This is all speculation of course, as most forum posts are.

    Yeah, that very well could be the case, however releasing your game in Q1 is a pretty safe bet, as not alot of other major titles are released during that time (as compared to the holiday season rush, that is).

    Not this Q1, it's actually pretty well off for games.

    Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Kami wrote: »
    Smashism wrote: »
    Kami wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Kami wrote: »
    I'm wondering if this update has anything to do with a planned 'simultaneous release' of MGS4 worldwide?

    What's with the quote marks around that simultaneous release bit?

    Well, has it actually been confirmed? I know Konami/Kojima Productions love their simultaneous releases, and I think that by doing so, selling a million copies on day one won't be as difficult as people think.

    They may just be shifting around dates for purely financial reasons.

    Interesting speculation Kami. If they did do it for financial reasons would it be because of a conflicting date with another major release? I can't think of any.

    This is all speculation of course, as most forum posts are.

    Yeah, that very well could be the case, however releasing your game in Q1 is a pretty safe bet, as not alot of other major titles are released during that time (as compared to the holiday season rush, that is).

    Not this Q1, it's actually pretty well off for games.

    That is very true, but this upcoming Q1 is definitely an exception to the rule.

    An exception I love, make no mistake. :lol:

    Kami on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Have I missed a bunch of releases? what's coming out this Q1 that makes it pretty well off?

    am I going to see a list of games that we all know will get pushed back?

    The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Have I missed a bunch of releases? what's coming out this Q1 that makes it pretty well off?

    am I going to see a list of games that we all know will get pushed back?

    SMASH BROS.

    More than enough.

    But some other stuff two that may or may not be any good

    Wii Fit

    Army of Two

    Harvey Birdman

    GTA IV (supposedly)

    just about everything that came out this quarter for the Wii (in europe)

    Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I can't see this as an intentional delay for next holiday season. I love my PS3, but its library is absolutely hurting for major releases. They need marquee title releases like yesterday.

    ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I can't see this as an intentional delay for next holiday season. I love my PS3, but its library is absolutely hurting for major releases. They need marquee title releases like yesterday.

    Yesterday? Try 11/16? Is that good enough for you?

    Uncharted



    As for MGS4, I'm getting myself stoked for it. I'm trying to play through MGS3 right now, which I've never beat. Then, I'll play Portable Ops, MGS: Twin Snakes (both of which I haven't played), and then MGS2 (played and beat twice). I'll get to play the series in timeline order then. Who knows, maybe I'll sneak Metal Gear 1 and 2 in there too :lol:

    Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I honestly don't see why the delay is too bad of a thing. I have a few reasons why, but I'm not even gonna bother explaining here.

    ze swift class on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Uncharted is awesome but when the fucking Trigens show up I went off it pretty quick.

    Plus, Assassin's creed puts the climbing animations in Uncharted to shame so badly.

    Still fucking ace but, well... not MGS4 ace.

    The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The surprising lack of media of any sort was kind of making me think it was getting pushed back.

    DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The surprising lack of media of any sort was kind of making me think it was getting pushed back.

    Lack of media? There's been a few trailers, and even like a 20 minute on-stage demonstration by kojima. I wouldn't call that a lack of media. It's about as much as most games get.

    Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I can't see this as an intentional delay for next holiday season. I love my PS3, but its library is absolutely hurting for major releases. They need marquee title releases like yesterday.

    Yesterday? Try 11/16? Is that good enough for you?

    Uncharted



    As for MGS4, I'm getting myself stoked for it. I'm trying to play through MGS3 right now, which I've never beat. Then, I'll play Portable Ops, MGS: Twin Snakes (both of which I haven't played), and then MGS2 (played and beat twice). I'll get to play the series in timeline order then. Who knows, maybe I'll sneak Metal Gear 1 and 2 in there too :lol:

    Oh come on Radikal, I own Uncharted and it's a good game, but did you not read the part where I said marquee? Sony needs its own "Halo", etc out there, and it doesn't have them yet. Nintendo has Metroid, Zelda, and Mario. Sony really needs to own this Christmas to have a chance of overtaking Microsoft because they're so far behind. And even if that last statement turns out false, I stand by my "they'd release it as soon as possible if the game was actually ready" sentiment.

    P.S. Don't be an ass, or I'll ungift HL2 ;)

    ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I can't see this as an intentional delay for next holiday season. I love my PS3, but its library is absolutely hurting for major releases. They need marquee title releases like yesterday.

    Yesterday? Try 11/16? Is that good enough for you?

    Uncharted



    As for MGS4, I'm getting myself stoked for it. I'm trying to play through MGS3 right now, which I've never beat. Then, I'll play Portable Ops, MGS: Twin Snakes (both of which I haven't played), and then MGS2 (played and beat twice). I'll get to play the series in timeline order then. Who knows, maybe I'll sneak Metal Gear 1 and 2 in there too :lol:

    Oh come on Radikal, I own Uncharted and it's a good game, but did you not read the part where I said marquee? Sony needs its own "Halo", etc out there, and it doesn't have them yet. Nintendo has Metroid, Zelda, and Mario. Sony really needs to own this Christmas to have a chance of overtaking Microsoft because they're so far behind. Either way, I stand by my "they'd release it as soon as possible if they were ready" sentiment.

    I don't know how we're going to define marquee though. I mean is it a game that's highly rated? Uncharted is pretty highly rated. Sure, it's not Halo or Metroid or Zelda or Mario, but can a new IP really be? I mean, all the first games in those series' weren't that huge either. So, what you want is a sequel to an old IP. I guess you are looking for a Metal Gear Solid 4, Gran Turismo 5, Tekken 6, Final Fantasy XIII, God of War III sort of game, eh? I don't know that we can really complain if you consider that the 360 didn't even get Gears of War until a year after release, and it didn't get it's marquee title, Halo until 2 years after. So I wouldn't say PS3 needed it "yesterday." Would it have been nice to? Yeah, sure. We'll get some bit marquee stuff next year, though, and I'm happy about that. This year I've had it good anyway with Warhawk, Uncharted, and Heavenly Sword. These are marquee titles for me anyway.

    Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yah, you have the idea now...the "big dog" system sellers is what I'm referring to. In regards to Gears on the 360, at least us 360 owners were playing Gears around Christmas, which was only 1 year after release (as you mentioned), much like Sony needed a "big gun" this Christmas.

    Anyway, I'm truly enjoying my PS3 and the games that have come out this fall (and I just picked up Heavenly Sword today), but if I had to bet I'm sure Sony probably wishes they had their "Gears" available for this Christmas.

    ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I can't see this as an intentional delay for next holiday season. I love my PS3, but its library is absolutely hurting for major releases. They need marquee title releases like yesterday.

    Yesterday? Try 11/16? Is that good enough for you?

    Uncharted



    As for MGS4, I'm getting myself stoked for it. I'm trying to play through MGS3 right now, which I've never beat. Then, I'll play Portable Ops, MGS: Twin Snakes (both of which I haven't played), and then MGS2 (played and beat twice). I'll get to play the series in timeline order then. Who knows, maybe I'll sneak Metal Gear 1 and 2 in there too :lol:

    Oh come on Radikal, I own Uncharted and it's a good game, but did you not read the part where I said marquee? Sony needs its own "Halo", etc out there, and it doesn't have them yet. Nintendo has Metroid, Zelda, and Mario. Sony really needs to own this Christmas to have a chance of overtaking Microsoft because they're so far behind. Either way, I stand by my "they'd release it as soon as possible if they were ready" sentiment.

    I don't know how we're going to define marquee though. I mean is it a game that's highly rated? Uncharted is pretty highly rated. Sure, it's not Halo or Metroid or Zelda or Mario, but can a new IP really be? I mean, all the first games in those series' weren't that huge either. So, what you want is a sequel to an old IP. I guess you are looking for a Metal Gear Solid 4, Gran Turismo 5, Tekken 6, Final Fantasy XIII, God of War III sort of game, eh? I don't know that we can really complain if you consider that the 360 didn't even get Gears of War until a year after release, and it didn't get it's marquee title, Halo until 2 years after. So I wouldn't say PS3 needed it "yesterday." Would it have been nice to? Yeah, sure. We'll get some bit marquee stuff next year, though, and I'm happy about that. This year I've had it good anyway with Warhawk, Uncharted, and Heavenly Sword. These are marquee titles for me anyway.

    Sure it's multiplatform, but Assassin's creed is a new franchise that sold more than a million first week.Back on topic, wouldn't a delay mean that they'd need to sell even more than that 1M in the first day to have a chance to break even?

    Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Spoit wrote: »

    Sure it's multiplatform, but Assassin's creed is a new franchise that sold more than a million first week.Back on topic, wouldn't a delay mean that they'd need to sell even more than that 1M in the first day to have a chance to break even?

    I'm not saying that new franchises can't sell a ton. The reason AC did is because of A) being multiplatform, B) being hyped to hell and C) the media freaking blitz they did at release. Uncharted would probably sell just as much with all these things, considering it's rated higher on average (metacritic).

    You can say you played Gears on christmas a year after release, and that's fine, but PS3 owners do have big releases. Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, and Warhawk. These are pretty big titles, I'd say.

    Yeah Sony wishes it had a Gears this season. In quality it does. It has enough quality to equal that, it's just lacking the big marquee-ness of it. And you know why that is? It's because of the bad PR they faced. It takes a lot to build back up a brand name. Brands can be taken down quickly with news, but to build them back up takes time. It'll take like 5 Gears titles before one becomes a marquee title really. This is why next year is the big year. With titles like HS, R&C, Warhawk, and most of all Uncharted, Sony is building back up their brand name. Then with UT3 hitting only PS3 this year, and if Haze does well, they will have built themselves back up into neutral or almost positive grounds. Next year with MGS4, LittleBigPlanet, possibly Killzone 2, Gran Turismo 5, Tekken 6, and god-willing Final Fantasy XIII (fat chance) they'll have their marquee. And, hey, they'll have their big ones out in less time than it took to get Halo out for the 360, so, again, can't complain really.

    Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Have I missed a bunch of releases? what's coming out this Q1 that makes it pretty well off?

    am I going to see a list of games that we all know will get pushed back?

    SMASH BROS.

    More than enough.

    But some other stuff two that may or may not be any good

    Wii Fit

    Army of Two

    Harvey Birdman

    GTA IV (supposedly)

    just about everything that came out this quarter for the Wii (in europe)

    No DMC4 or God of War: Chains of Olympus means you fail hard.

    Kami: The simultaneous release was confirmed in the E3 07 trailer, though they haven't gone into specifics. I'm hoping that they'll release it worldwide on the exact same day, instead of releasing in the US/Japan and then Europe a couple days later.

    And yeah, with the worldwide release, one million should be pretty easy really. I just hope Sony continues to advertise it, like they've already done with the adverts they posted on the PS blog.

    Spoit: :| What? Why would they? The 'one million to break even' statement was made last week, the delay was announced a month or two ago. In fact, Kojima Productions would've known that they were going to delay it long before it was publicly announced.

    Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Spoit wrote: »

    Sure it's multiplatform, but Assassin's creed is a new franchise that sold more than a million first week.Back on topic, wouldn't a delay mean that they'd need to sell even more than that 1M in the first day to have a chance to break even?

    I'm not saying that new franchises can't sell a ton. The reason AC did is because of A) being multiplatform, B) being hyped to hell and C) the media freaking blitz they did at release. Uncharted would probably sell just as much with all these things, considering it's rated higher on average (metacritic).

    You can say you played Gears on christmas a year after release, and that's fine, but PS3 owners do have big releases. lair, heavenly sword, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, and Warhawk. These are pretty big titles, I'd say.

    Yeah Sony wishes it had a Gears this season. In quality it does. It has enough quality to equal that, it's just lacking the big marquee-ness of it. And you know why that is? It's because of the bad PR they faced.

    I admitted that most of the sales probably came from the 360 and it's magical ability to make any game that's advertised well sell rediculuosly well, but to bring Metacritic into the arguementD:? really? We all know that PS3 has much more games with higher metascores than the Wii, but that clearly never has translated into sales. Ever.

    Also, at least on boards like this, every single big PS3 release since Lair has been hyped to hell, way beyond any reasonable expectations, (with the exception that they've actually been good since warhawk) so you'll have to excuse me for being a bit sceptical that Uncharted, or even R&C would have a chance to save the PS3 since we've been continually disapointed by it's potential saviors

    EDIT: by needing to sell even more, I was reacting to some people suggesting that it might slip even further than the summer

    Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Spoit wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »

    Sure it's multiplatform, but Assassin's creed is a new franchise that sold more than a million first week.Back on topic, wouldn't a delay mean that they'd need to sell even more than that 1M in the first day to have a chance to break even?

    I'm not saying that new franchises can't sell a ton. The reason AC did is because of A) being multiplatform, B) being hyped to hell and C) the media freaking blitz they did at release. Uncharted would probably sell just as much with all these things, considering it's rated higher on average (metacritic).

    You can say you played Gears on christmas a year after release, and that's fine, but PS3 owners do have big releases. lair, heavenly sword, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, and Warhawk. These are pretty big titles, I'd say.

    Yeah Sony wishes it had a Gears this season. In quality it does. It has enough quality to equal that, it's just lacking the big marquee-ness of it. And you know why that is? It's because of the bad PR they faced.

    I admitted that most of the sales probably came from the 360 and it's magical ability to make any game that's advertised well sell rediculuosly well, but to bring Metacritic into the arguementD:? really? We all know that PS3 has much more games with higher metascores than the Wii, but that clearly never has translated into sales. Ever.

    Also, at least on boards like this, every single big PS3 release since Lair has been hyped to hell, way beyond any reasonable expectations, (with the exception that they've actually been good since warhawk) so you'll have to excuse me for being a bit sceptical that Uncharted, or even R&C would have a chance to save the PS3 since we've been continually disapointed by it's potential saviors

    EDIT: by needing to sell even more, I was reacting to some people suggesting that it might slip even further than the summer

    Were you even reading what I wrote? Yeah I brought metacritic into it because I was making a point that quality of title has nothing to do with marquee (BIG titles that sell a ton and sell systems) titles, and that Sony needs to build up its name with quality titles before it can get a big 'marquee' hit. I was making a point that PS3 owners have a ton to play compared to the Gears at 1 year after 360 release. We do have things to play. No marquee does not equal no games to play. They'll get the marquee title when all the nay-sayers are no longer searching for some savior for the PS3. Once there's a bundle of games out there to make Sony's brand good, or at least neutral again, then they can have a great game without the backfire of having to be a savior.

    Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The ridiculous thing is that all this emphasis was put on stuff like Heavenly Sword and Lair, when all of that emphasis rightfully belonged on Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank.

    slash000 on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Were you even reading what I wrote? I said that metacritic means fuck-all in terms of sales, at least between the Wii and the PS3. According to wikipedia, the millions sellers and their metascore are:
    Wii
    * Wii Sports (11.86 million) 76
    * Wii Play (6.32 million) 58
    * The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (3.61 million) 95
    * Mario Party 8 (2.89 million) 62
    * Wario Ware: Smooth Moves (1.82 million) 83
    * Super Paper Mario (1.74 million) 85
    * Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (1.38 million) 69
    * Mario Strikers Charged (1.33 million) 79
    * Rayman Raving Rabbids (1 million) 76
    * Red Steel (1 million) 63

    PS3
    * Resistance: Fall of Man (2 million) 86
    * MotorStorm (1 million) 84

    Only 3 of the Wii's best sellers have more than a 80 metacritic score, and 4 of them have less than 70. Or to bring back the usual metacritic aguement for why the wii sucks (even though it's really off topic), 38 PS3 games are rated 80 or higher, while only 13 Wii games are. And really, for having the 2nd highest metacritic score of all time, Mario galaxies is reportedly doing only alright, worse than even assassin's creed

    Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    That's not what he's saying, Spoit. He just means that there are fantastic games like Uncharted on the PS3, but they haven't been given the Assassin's Creed or Gears of War treatment. There are plenty of great games on the system but they aren't selling despite being good.

    basically, he agrees and even meant to imply that good scores don't equate to good sales. But while there are fantastic games on the PS3, Sony or the press haven't shoved the good ones down our throats the way Gears or AC's were.

    slash000 on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Spoit wrote: »
    Were you even reading what I wrote? I said that metacritic means fuck-all in terms of sales, at least between the Wii and the PS3. According to wikipedia, the millions sellers and their metascore are:
    Wii
    * Wii Sports (11.86 million) 76
    * Wii Play (6.32 million) 58
    * The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (3.61 million) 95
    * Mario Party 8 (2.89 million) 62
    * Wario Ware: Smooth Moves (1.82 million) 83
    * Super Paper Mario (1.74 million) 85
    * Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (1.38 million) 69
    * Mario Strikers Charged (1.33 million) 79
    * Rayman Raving Rabbids (1 million) 76
    * Red Steel (1 million) 63

    PS3
    * Resistance: Fall of Man (2 million) 86
    * MotorStorm (1 million) 84

    Only 3 of the Wii's best sellers have more than a 80 metacritic score, and 4 of them have less than 70. Or to bring back the usual metacritic aguement for why the wii sucks (even though it's really off topic), 38 PS3 games are rated 80 or higher, while only 13 Wii games are. And really, for having the 2nd highest metacritic score of all time, Mario galaxies is reportedly doing only alright, worse than even assassin's creed

    Jesus dude... ok, here, I'll say it again. THE POINT I WAS MAKING IS THE EXACT SAME ONE YOU ARE. QUALITY OF TITLE MEANS FUCK ALL IN SALES. THAT IS THE POINT I WAS MAKING. IT IS THE SAME AS YOUR POINT.

    Did that help?

    Also, Heavenly Sword was a darned good game! Was it perfect? No. Was it fun as hell and worth a play? Yes. Should emphasis have been placed on it? Yes. As much as say Uncharted? Nah. Now for LAIR, I never really saw Sony putting any emphasis on it, especially when compared to what they did with Uncharted or something. LAIR's emphasis seemed to have come from others in the community. As for why they put it there? I dunno.

    Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The Wii reviews tend to suffer from DS-syndrome. A lot of reviewers knock off points from a good game simply because it doesn't take advantage of every single aspect of the Wii interface; even if it takes some aspect of the Wii and uses it well, some reviewers will knock off some points for not using it enough. Or, alternatively, they mark down points from a 'hardcore game' like Prime 3 because it's "not accessible to the Wii consumer base," or they'll knock off points from a more casual game like WarioWare because it's not deep and engrossing (see Mercury Meltdown review, it doesn't provide "other worlds to explore." hah! What an insightful criticism for a puzzle game. What next, gonna mark off Tetris because there is no deep and engrossing plot?).

    It's interesting to see these kinds of things unfold.

    slash000 on
  • Options
    paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Speaking of release dates, isnt also Mario Kart Wii being released around Q2? that shit might be as big of a splash as smash bros.

    paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
Sign In or Register to comment.