Options

Metal Gear Solid 4 delayed to Q2 of 2008: Inflammatory Thread Title Here

1356714

Posts

  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    The Wii reviews tend to suffer from DS-syndrome. A lot of reviewers knock off points from a good game simply because it doesn't take advantage of every single aspect of the Wii interface; even if it takes some aspect of the Wii and uses it well, some reviewers will knock off some points for not using it enough. Or, alternatively, they mark down points from a 'hardcore game' like Prime 3 because it's "not accessible to the Wii consumer base," or they'll knock off points from a more casual game like WarioWare because it's not deep and engrossing (see Mercury Meltdown review, it doesn't provide "other worlds to explore." hah! What an insightful criticism for a puzzle game. What next, gonna mark off Tetris because there is no deep and engrossing plot?).

    It's interesting to see these kinds of things unfold.

    I think you're onto something there. I think reviewers have a hard time with Wii games, and I know I do, merely because they look "like shit" compared to PS3 and 360 games. They have a hard time getting past that because for many years every generational leap has brought a corresponding leap in polygons and shinies. I know that I'd never buy a multi-platform release for the Wii unless it had a major, major compelling reason in the form of well-done Wiimote controls mostly because the games will be more fluid and look better on another platform.

    All in all, I personally wish Nintendo had put more horses under the hood *and* given us the Wii remote interface. I'll shut up now or someone will accuse me of trolling :P

    ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Have I missed a bunch of releases? what's coming out this Q1 that makes it pretty well off?

    Smash Bros & Mario Kart for the Wii
    GTA4 for the 360/PS3
    DMC4 for the 360/PS3
    Lost Odyssey for the 360
    LittleBigPlanet for the PS3

    Those are all the really high profile games I can think of. Of course, I'm sure there are plenty of lower profile, but totally awesome games scheduled for that period as well (for example, Rez HD for XBLA has a Dec 2007-Jan 2008 release date).

    RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Have I missed a bunch of releases? what's coming out this Q1 that makes it pretty well off?

    Smash Bros & Mario Kart for the Wii
    GTA4 for the 360/PS3
    DMC4 for the 360/PS3
    Lost Odyssey for the 360

    Those are all the really high profile games I can think of. Of course, I'm sure there are plenty of lower profile, but totally awesome games scheduled for that period as well (for example, Rez HD for XBLA has a Dec 2007-Jan 2008 release date).


    +Burnout Paradise, Turok, No More Heroes, Age of Conan

    mario kart is Q2

    Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    what the hell is going on in here? I thought this was a thread for bitching about MGS4, not the Wii.

    DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Threads go completly sideways fast, no matter.

    All I can say is there better be a MGS4+ PS3 + some other thing (Metal Gear collection?) pack out when it's released. I'd get that day one.

    Waka Laka on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Threads go completly sideways fast, no matter.

    All I can say is there better be a MGS4+ PS3 + some other thing (Metal Gear collection?) pack out when it's released. I'd get that day one.

    Yeah, I'm curious to see how much Sony will help in promoting MGS4. Wonder if they would do a bundle like that, even. Considering they're already running ads about MGS4, they really want it to be a system seller for them.

    Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    a bundle with MGS4+MGO would be great

    Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So some people say it's stupid to buy a console for just 1 game... yet news of MGS getting 'delayed' means they don't buy a console at all? I don't understand that logic. What ever, they miss out on some great games, their loss, not mine.

    BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So some people say it's stupid to buy a console for just 1 game... yet news of MGS getting 'delayed' means they don't buy a console at all? I don't understand that logic. What ever, they miss out on some great games, their loss, not mine.

    No, MGS is just the game that tips the scales from 'no buy' to 'buy.'

    They want Uncharted, Ratchet, Resistance, maybe Heavenly Sword and Warhawk, but they really, really want MGS4. But they can't justify another system, one at $400, not yet. But once MGS4 hits, then they'll feel justified in paying $400 for the thing to get access to all of those other games. But they just really need something to tip the scales.

    It's not like the people are only buying it just for MGS4. But MGS4 is the main reason, just not the only reason. By itself? MGS4 wouldn't be enough to sell them a system. Those other games are great incentive, but MGS4 just seals the deal.

    slash000 on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    what the hell is going on in here? I thought this was a thread for bitching about MGS4, not the Wii.

    Yeah, you guys were right, I was misreading his post, and I'm sorry for dragging it off topic.

    So, how about that MGS4? I hear that it could save the PS3

    Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    So some people say it's stupid to buy a console for just 1 game... yet news of MGS getting 'delayed' means they don't buy a console at all? I don't understand that logic. What ever, they miss out on some great games, their loss, not mine.

    No, MGS is just the game that tips the scales from 'no buy' to 'buy.'

    They want Uncharted, Ratchet, Resistance, maybe Heavenly Sword and Warhawk, but they really, really want MGS4. But they can't justify another system, one at $400, not yet. But once MGS4 hits, then they'll feel justified in paying $400 for the thing to get access to all of those other games. But they just really need something to tip the scales.

    It's not like the people are only buying it just for MGS4. But MGS4 is the main reason, just not the only reason. By itself? MGS4 wouldn't be enough to sell them a system. Those other games are great incentive, but MGS4 just seals the deal.

    I'm not sure why you started off saying No. But I see where the rest of your post is coming from. Well I personally don't mind MGS4 getting delayed, just means its going to be all that much better? Well I at least hope :)

    BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    So some people say it's stupid to buy a console for just 1 game... yet news of MGS getting 'delayed' means they don't buy a console at all? I don't understand that logic. What ever, they miss out on some great games, their loss, not mine.

    No, MGS is just the game that tips the scales from 'no buy' to 'buy.'

    They want Uncharted, Ratchet, Resistance, maybe Heavenly Sword and Warhawk, but they really, really want MGS4. But they can't justify another system, one at $400, not yet. But once MGS4 hits, then they'll feel justified in paying $400 for the thing to get access to all of those other games. But they just really need something to tip the scales.

    It's not like the people are only buying it just for MGS4. But MGS4 is the main reason, just not the only reason. By itself? MGS4 wouldn't be enough to sell them a system. Those other games are great incentive, but MGS4 just seals the deal.

    I'm not sure why you started off saying No. But I see where the rest of your post is coming from. Well I personally don't mind MGS4 getting delayed, just means its going to be all that much better? Well I at least hope :)

    Another reason is its my number one game to get, there are others, but I'm putting off buying a whole system for them, I can wait - I still have to pay off my computer, my house, and random other things.

    Waka Laka on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Spoit wrote: »
    what the hell is going on in here? I thought this was a thread for bitching about MGS4, not the Wii.

    Yeah, you guys were right, I was misreading his post, and I'm sorry for dragging it off topic.

    So, how about that MGS4? I hear that it could save the PS3
    Despite all the love from hardcore gamers, the MGS series is still pretty niche. The eclectic mix of action, stealth, realism, insanity, and social dialogue doesn't exactly have the same universal appeal as the other recent system sellers. I would love to play the game, but I don't believe it will do the same thing for the Playstation brand that GTA did.

    FreddyD on
  • Options
    AhhseeAhhsee Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you mean universal appeal like having grandma playing bowling, sure, mgs isn't that type of series.

    If you mean most people haven't played the series, you're probably wrong. I think most people, especially since ALL of the people I know that even own 1 system, have played at least one of the games.

    The only reason I'm saddened by this news is that I can't justify buying a ps3 until this game comes out, and it'll just push that purchase further down the line. That's fine, because maybe I'll have enough by that time for a decent HDTV, but still, there are good games out, I just can't see spending $400 to play uncharted and heavenly sword. Don't get me wrong, I want to play those games, but if i never got to, I wouldn't weep at night. Mgs on the other hand...

    Ahhsee on
    newsigji1.jpg
    Click image for my huge backlog :\\\
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've never played MGS but if the PS3 dropped to the right price i'd be keen on checking it out. What Sony really needs to do is whip up some hype that makes the price of the console a secondary concern, and NOT MISSING THIS AMAZING HOT GAME OH SHITS LIFE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN the primary factor in my decision making process.

    desperaterobots on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    what the hell is going on in here? I thought this was a thread for bitching about MGS4, not the Wii.

    Yeah, you guys were right, I was misreading his post, and I'm sorry for dragging it off topic.

    So, how about that MGS4? I hear that it could save the PS3
    Despite all the love from hardcore gamers, the MGS series is still pretty niche. The eclectic mix of action, stealth, realism, insanity, and social dialogue doesn't exactly have the same universal appeal as the other recent system sellers. I would love to play the game, but I don't believe it will do the same thing for the Playstation brand that GTA did.

    I already know what to expect, point-to point battlefield, sneaking, bad guys with some sort of novelty condition and past that makes them who they are - often whinge about their problem to snake before going into a boss battle,dozens of silly easter eggs, kill the boss possibly have a "final talk" before the boss dies/disappears,someone has a big speech whilst snake looks on revealing their intentions, conspiracy here, conspiracy there, shooting and running and sneaking past guards who can't see in front of them, big boss battle in the end, mindfuck jabber about the events up to now, roll credits.

    Most people know what to expect, but it's done so well no one cares.

    Waka Laka on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    öhsee wrote: »
    If you mean universal appeal like having grandma playing bowling, sure, mgs isn't that type of series.

    If you mean most people haven't played the series, you're probably wrong. I think most people, especially since ALL of the people I know that even own 1 system, have played at least one of the games.

    The only reason I'm saddened by this news is that I can't justify buying a ps3 until this game comes out, and it'll just push that purchase further down the line. That's fine, because maybe I'll have enough by that time for a decent HDTV, but still, there are good games out, I just can't see spending $400 to play uncharted and heavenly sword. Don't get me wrong, I want to play those games, but if i never got to, I wouldn't weep at night. Mgs on the other hand...
    That's exactly what I mean. MGS does not move enormous amounts of game hardware on its own when it is released. It isn't a cultural phenomenon like Mario or Pokemon, or even Final Fantasy. So the PS3 needs more than MGS4 to boost sales. The PS3 needs a steady stream of MGS4-caliber exclusives next year.

    FreddyD on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    öhsee wrote: »
    If you mean universal appeal like having grandma playing bowling, sure, mgs isn't that type of series.

    If you mean most people haven't played the series, you're probably wrong. I think most people, especially since ALL of the people I know that even own 1 system, have played at least one of the games.

    The only reason I'm saddened by this news is that I can't justify buying a ps3 until this game comes out, and it'll just push that purchase further down the line. That's fine, because maybe I'll have enough by that time for a decent HDTV, but still, there are good games out, I just can't see spending $400 to play uncharted and heavenly sword. Don't get me wrong, I want to play those games, but if i never got to, I wouldn't weep at night. Mgs on the other hand...
    That's exactly what I mean. MGS does not move enormous amounts of game hardware on its own when it is released. It isn't a cultural phenomenon like Mario or Pokemon, or even Final Fantasy. So the PS3 needs more than MGS4 to boost sales. The PS3 needs a steady stream of MGS4-caliber exclusives next year.


    Well Uncharted and Ratchet is definitally a good start.

    BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm looking forward to MGO. Its not like a lot of other games where you're normally playing with people who like FPS's or whatever, its playing with other MG fans who like the same characters I do. Should be fun.

    DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'd rather wait and get quality than an unpolished game like Lair or Assassin's Creed.

    The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I'd rather wait and get quality than an unpolished game like Lair or Assassin's Creed.

    AC isn't unpolished, it just skipped the design phase.

    DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'd rather wait and get quality than an unpolished game like Lair or Assassin's Creed.

    AC isn't unpolished, it just skipped the design phase.

    Wow, that was a big mistake on my part.



    I... I'll go now...

    The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    what the hell is going on in here? I thought this was a thread for bitching about MGS4, not the Wii.

    Yeah, you guys were right, I was misreading his post, and I'm sorry for dragging it off topic.

    So, how about that MGS4? I hear that it could save the PS3
    Despite all the love from hardcore gamers, the MGS series is still pretty niche. The eclectic mix of action, stealth, realism, insanity, and social dialogue doesn't exactly have the same universal appeal as the other recent system sellers. I would love to play the game, but I don't believe it will do the same thing for the Playstation brand that GTA did.

    The worst selling MGS game sold around 4 million (probably 5 million after Subsistence's release) and you're calling the game niche? Sorry but that's ridiculous. So what's the definition of 'niche' then, any game that sells under 10 million units? Could I just jump in and point out that MGS2 outsold FFX?

    As for your other comment, luckily the PS3 has a pretty great lineup for 2008. Killzone 2, Resistance 2, MGS4, Gran Turismo 5, etc.

    Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lots of game lists end with etc these days.

    I dont think he meant MGS was niche, but selling 3-4 million on a userbase of 100 million is not good at all. Especially considering how people are treating MGS4 as some kind of savior of the PS3, when the series hasnt ever really been the savior of anything. Certainly not sales wise.

    If anything, Id put FF13 as much more in the position of 'the savior of PS3' than MGS4.

    The_Scarab on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Saying Metal Gear Solid 3 was a failure when it only sold 3-4 million copies seems pretty silly. Yes, it didn't sell anywhere near as many copies as MGS2, but then again, MGS2 was out for almost the entire life of the PS2 whereas MGS3 came towards the end. 3-4 million copies is still enough to put it in the top 20 bestselling games for the system.

    With that said, I don't think MGS4 will do much to help the PS3's situation. By the time it comes out in mid to late 2008, the XBox 360 will have be coming up on its 3rd year. Put simply, the console race will already have been decided by then and a popular exclusive or two that late in the game won't do much.

    Plus I doubt MGS4 will stay exclusive for long. The series has always been strongest in the US so ignoring the 360's strong base here would be very foolish economically. I expect the game will come out for the PS3, see decent but ultimately disappointing sales (considering how much it cost to make) on the PS3 and therefore a 360 port will end up showing up a few months later for Konami to recoup their losses.

    RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Saying Metal Gear Solid 3 was a failure when it only sold 3-4 million copies seems pretty silly. Yes, it didn't sell anywhere near as many copies as MGS2, but then again, MGS2 was out for almost the entire life of the PS2 whereas MGS3 came towards the end. 3-4 million copies is still enough to put it in the top 20 bestselling games for the system.

    With that said, I don't think MGS4 will do much to help the PS3's situation. By the time it comes out in mid to late 2008, the XBox 360 will have be coming up on its 3rd year. Put simply, the console race will already have been decided by then and a popular exclusive or two that late in the game won't do much.

    Plus I doubt MGS4 will stay exclusive for long. The series has always been strongest in the US so ignoring the 360's strong base here would be very foolish economically. I expect the game will come out for the PS3, see decent but ultimately disappointing sales (considering how much it cost to make) on the PS3 and therefore a 360 port will end up showing up a few months later for Konami to recoup their losses.

    I disagree 100% especially since your saying that your saying it's not going to help the PS3 Situation.

    I think your downplaying MGS appeal, but also I think MGS 4 will not go multiplatform because It's a game that's made for the PS3 and at the moment I think it's going to be one of the biggest games of this generation though that's not to say that they will not release MGS 4 substance for the 360 but at least for the first couple years of release, it will not be on the 360.

    I also think your counting out the PS3 already when it's honestly way to soon to count it out, I still stand by the fact that I think by the end of this generation that the PS3 will be ahead of the 360 in sales overall.

    Lothars on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Lots of game lists end with etc these days.

    I dont think he meant MGS was niche, but selling 3-4 million on a userbase of 100 million is not good at all. Especially considering how people are treating MGS4 as some kind of savior of the PS3, when the series hasnt ever really been the savior of anything. Certainly not sales wise.

    If anything, Id put FF13 as much more in the position of 'the savior of PS3' than MGS4.

    Well, if we're just basing this shit on how the last game in the series did, FF12 did 2 million in Japan (good, but not great for an FF game), and only just over 1 million in the US (definitely disappointing).

    bruin on
  • Options
    Lord ShplaneLord Shplane Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I can think of four things that are going to give the PS3 a sales spike:

    1: MGS4

    2: FFXIII

    3: The next $100 price drop. You know it's coming.

    4: Possibly Killzone 2. I know a surprising number of people irl who are looking forward to it, and have several friends who've cited it as their main reason for getting a PS3.

    Lord Shplane on
    Awww... My evil anime mask guy picture doesn't work. ;_;
  • Options
    .la1n.la1n Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I realize that Sony hasn't exactly had the best track record at the starting but really guys, at this point if you haven't played one good exclusive game on the PS3 yet then you must hate fun. MGS4 is not the PS3 savior, it's simply a game that has a good following and stands to sell fairly well - there are plenty of other reasons to own the platform that are already out or coming out early next year.
    Iv'e certaintly had my fair share of laughs at Sony's expense but I will say this, my PS3 has seen more play time than my 360 or wii for the holiday season - that's my experience, your mileage may vary.

    .la1n on
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lothars wrote: »
    I also think your counting out the PS3 already when it's honestly way to soon to count it out, I still stand by the fact that I think by the end of this generation that the PS3 will be ahead of the 360 in sales overall.
    When has that ever happened in a console generation?

    I see all these people and analysts say this 'the PS3 is gonna come from behind and dominate' kind of stuff and I'm bewildered, as it just doesn't happen. Console gens are decided in the first couple years, not the last.

    Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lothars wrote: »
    I also think your counting out the PS3 already when it's honestly way to soon to count it out, I still stand by the fact that I think by the end of this generation that the PS3 will be ahead of the 360 in sales overall.
    When has that ever happened in a console generation?

    I see all these people and analysts say this 'the PS3 is gonna come from behind and dominate' kind of stuff and I'm bewildered, as it just doesn't happen. Console gens are decided in the first couple years, not the last.

    They can be changed because the 360 had a years head start but but the leads are not that much that it's not like it's impossible for the PS3 to come back and I see it happening more than the 360 beating the PS3 overall this generation.

    Lothars on
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lothars wrote: »
    Lothars wrote: »
    I also think your counting out the PS3 already when it's honestly way to soon to count it out, I still stand by the fact that I think by the end of this generation that the PS3 will be ahead of the 360 in sales overall.
    When has that ever happened in a console generation?

    I see all these people and analysts say this 'the PS3 is gonna come from behind and dominate' kind of stuff and I'm bewildered, as it just doesn't happen. Console gens are decided in the first couple years, not the last.

    They can be changed because the 360 had a years head start but but the leads are not that much that it's not like it's impossible for the PS3 to come back and I see it happening more than the 360 beating the PS3 overall this generation.
    I see...

    Not to change topics or anything, but I've got this beautiful bridge I'm trying to sell that I think you'd really like.

    Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I can think of four things that are going to give the PS3 a sales spike:

    1: MGS4

    2: FFXIII

    3: The next $100 price drop. You know it's coming.

    4: Possibly Killzone 2. I know a surprising number of people irl who are looking forward to it, and have several friends who've cited it as their main reason for getting a PS3.

    You're missing one key exclusive. Gran Turismo 5. GT3 was the 2nd best selling game on the PS2 (beat only by Vice City), and GT1 was the best selling on the PS1, and GT4 did prety damned well (9.5 million units sold... beat by only the GTA games and GT3). THAT will give a pretty solid sales spike.

    Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Lots of game lists end with etc these days.

    I dont think he meant MGS was niche, but selling 3-4 million on a userbase of 100 million is not good at all. Especially considering how people are treating MGS4 as some kind of savior of the PS3, when the series hasnt ever really been the savior of anything. Certainly not sales wise.

    If anything, Id put FF13 as much more in the position of 'the savior of PS3' than MGS4.

    Well, if we're just basing this shit on how the last game in the series did, FF12 did 2 million in Japan (good, but not great for an FF game), and only just over 1 million in the US (definitely disappointing).

    Fair comment. Though Id say the Final Fantasy brand has more selling power. Plus 13 is probably the biggest jump for FF games in a while. I dunno, I just get the feeling it will be hilariously huge.

    The_Scarab on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think GT5 is going to help more than MGS4 and FFXIII. Or at least equal. That game is hugely popular.

    However, this is all starting to look like too little, too late, in terms of console sales.


    RE: MGS4, 360 port?

    Unfortunately, I just don't see it happening. I think it's a mistake on Konami's part, sure, but I still just don't see it happening. In the past, sure, MGS games have been ported. But they've always been quick and dirty hack jobs, and they've always gone from a far weaker to a far more powerful system that could make up for the game taking advantage of the original system to working functionally on the more powerful system through brute force. Kojima designs his games to take advantage of specific aspects of the consoles they're designed for. With something so exotic as the PS3, not to mention any expected waggle features that MGS4 will entail, I just don't see them being able to effectively port the thing over to a system that is roughly equal in power. At least not with a hell of a lot more time. The fact is, this game is going to sell well. It's going to sell well enough to make a very healthy profit for Konami. They won't need to port it. If anything, they'll just let it do well, make them money, and maybe - maybe - in the future, they'll decide to start with multiplatform development from the beginning in some future game.

    slash000 on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I doubt any waggle that MGS4 happens to have will be an issue. The only use of the pressure-sensitive buttons in MGS3 was to accidently kill people you wanted to keep alive.

    jothki on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Regarding disappointing FFXII sales:

    FFXII also came out at the end of the PS2's life cycle...when people were already looking ahead to the next-gen consoles. Had it come out a year before it may very well have sold better.

    ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lothars wrote: »
    Lothars wrote: »
    I also think your counting out the PS3 already when it's honestly way to soon to count it out, I still stand by the fact that I think by the end of this generation that the PS3 will be ahead of the 360 in sales overall.
    When has that ever happened in a console generation?

    I see all these people and analysts say this 'the PS3 is gonna come from behind and dominate' kind of stuff and I'm bewildered, as it just doesn't happen. Console gens are decided in the first couple years, not the last.

    They can be changed because the 360 had a years head start but but the leads are not that much that it's not like it's impossible for the PS3 to come back and I see it happening more than the 360 beating the PS3 overall this generation.
    I see...

    Not to change topics or anything, but I've got this beautiful bridge I'm trying to sell that I think you'd really like.

    :roll:

    I really don't care but I still standby the fact that I think the PS3 will be beating the 360 in sales worldwide.

    Lothars on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    bruin wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Lots of game lists end with etc these days.

    I dont think he meant MGS was niche, but selling 3-4 million on a userbase of 100 million is not good at all. Especially considering how people are treating MGS4 as some kind of savior of the PS3, when the series hasnt ever really been the savior of anything. Certainly not sales wise.

    If anything, Id put FF13 as much more in the position of 'the savior of PS3' than MGS4.

    Well, if we're just basing this shit on how the last game in the series did, FF12 did 2 million in Japan (good, but not great for an FF game), and only just over 1 million in the US (definitely disappointing).

    Fair comment. Though Id say the Final Fantasy brand has more selling power. Plus 13 is probably the biggest jump for FF games in a while. I dunno, I just get the feeling it will be hilariously huge.

    Eh, I'm with slash000, I think Gran Turismo 5 is PS3's biggest titles for its own sales and how much much hardware it will push. GT 1, 2 and 4 all sold about 10 million and 3 sold about 15 million.

    bruin on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    I doubt any waggle that MGS4 happens to have will be an issue. The only use of the pressure-sensitive buttons in MGS3 was to accidently kill people you wanted to keep alive.

    Well, it probably wouldn't be too hard to get the waggle incidents working on a nonwaggle controller.

    The biggest hurdle would be to get the convoluted PS3 code working well on the 360.

    What am I basing this on? Well consider the fact that most MGS ports were from the PS2 to far more powerful machines; and even then, the things had framerate and other issues. Why? Because Kojima likes to utilize specific hardware feature (not just controller interfaces) of the console he's working on. I can only imagine that the specific advantages of the exotic PS3 hardware would be somewhat difficult to replicate, especially when they can't just take far more powerful hardware to compensate for it.


    EVEN SO, that doesn't mean they cannot do it. It's just that it's one more thing standing in the way of the game being ported. Companies like money, and porting a big game would make them more money. But history has shown that just because a port would probably be profitable doesn't mean a company will just do it. Furthermore, if a game is already a guaranteed financial success - as I'm completely certain MGS4 will be - then there is even less need to port the thing in the first place.


    I want it to be ported to the 360. That way I wouldn't have any real desire for a PS3 at all; I could invest in 1 reasonably priced system and get Gears, Mass Effect, and MGS4 all for the same thing. I wouldn't have to wonder whether I'd want to get a 360 or a PS3 or blow a whole in my wallet getting both and only having a few games for one or the other.

    But I just honestly don't see a 360 port ever occurring.

    slash000 on
Sign In or Register to comment.