Options

Metal Gear Solid 4 delayed to Q2 of 2008: Inflammatory Thread Title Here

• Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    japan wrote: »
    About these shitty ports... I don't see how this is Sony's fault. Theyre basically getting fucked over by Devs. And I really cant wait to hear "THE PS3 IS HARD TO PROGRAM FOR!!"

Really? Why is it that there arent barely any tech issues with 2nd party games like Uncharted, R and C, Resistance and Warhawk? This is just bullshit.

I would suspect that the devs are reluctant to commit more than the bare minimum of resources to porting to the PS3. It seems reasonable to develop primarily for the 360 if going the multiplatform route, since it's likely that's where the lions share of the profit will come from.

In short, they're probably rush jobs to some extent, and the problems are compounded by the fact that porting from 360 -> PS3 seems to be on the difficult side (NB: this is not the same as saying it's hard to code for the PS3, the impression that I get is that it's hard to port stuff to the PS3).

Or maybe they're developing primarily for the 360 because it's the lowest common denominator as far as power. And then, since they're porting to the PS3, or developing 2ndary, that's why it gets some problems. Ports quite often have problems.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    At this point, power is practically a nonissue. How good a game looks and runs seems to be completely up to the talent of the developers behind it.

Sure, it's possible that the 360 is the lower of the common denominator between it and the PS3 (it probably is by a slight margin). But at this point it doesn't really matter, because it clearly takes some time and talent to get a game to port over from the 360 and run well.

slash000 on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    We have also seen what happens when Devs work equally on a game for all applicable consoles (COD4)... the game plays and looks the same. Everyone is happy and I tip my cap to Activision and Infinity Ward for that.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    We have also seen what happens when Devs work equally on a game for all applicable consoles (COD4)... the game plays and looks the same. Everyone is happy and I tip my cap to Activision and Infinity Ward for that.

Exactly. Time and talent. There's no inherent reason why the PS3 versions of these games should run any less well than the 360 versions. But without time, or without talent, we end up with quick'n'dirty port jobs like most of EA's work up until this point, or a good chunk of Ubi's stuff.

slash000 on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Or maybe they're developing primarily for the 360 because it's the lowest common denominator as far as power.

Also likely. In practice it's probably a balance of considerations involving power and where they think they'll make the most sales.

I do remember reading an EDGE interview where someone from Sony was saying that this is basically what was happening, but he expected that people would start developing for PS3 first, then removing features to get it to run on 360. I have to say, to me that doesn't sound like it would make much sense unless the developer thought they'd sell more copies of the PS3 version than the 360 version.

EDIT: This also assumes some kind of insurmountable power difference in the PS3's favour, but then it would, coming from Sony.

japan on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Sucks to hear about the Orange Box, though. I was going to get that version. Hopefully it'll be better by release.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh by the way, did you guys know MGS4 has been delayed? Crazy. :P

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh by the way, did you guys know MGS4 has been delayed? Crazy. :P

I honestly didn't even know it was supposed to come out before Q2 2008 anyway.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    japan wrote: »
    About these shitty ports... I don't see how this is Sony's fault. Theyre basically getting fucked over by Devs. And I really cant wait to hear "THE PS3 IS HARD TO PROGRAM FOR!!"

Really? Why is it that there arent barely any tech issues with 2nd party games like Uncharted, R and C, Resistance and Warhawk? This is just bullshit.

I would suspect that the devs are reluctant to commit more than the bare minimum of resources to porting to the PS3. It seems reasonable to develop primarily for the 360 if going the multiplatform route, since it's likely that's where the lions share of the profit will come from.

In short, they're probably rush jobs to some extent, and the problems are compounded by the fact that porting from 360 -> PS3 seems to be on the difficult side (NB: this is not the same as saying it's hard to code for the PS3, the impression that I get is that it's hard to port stuff to the PS3).
    Whoa.

You're saying if I get a PS3, I should also update my PC so I can actually play some games?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, I think the difference in power between the two is a bit overstated, and that it'd make much more sense that the 360 is the lead platform because, you know, it usually sells the best. Also, the PS3 is reportedly much more difficult to program for

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    In my experience as PC fanboy with a PS3 as a backup right now there is more to play than I can handle. If I had the PS3 alone I'd still have my hands full.

MistaCreepy on
  • Options
    fkn creepfkn creep Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Man, who really cares about old Snake anyhow? What's he going to get arthritis and drop his gun in the middle of a firefight?

fkn creep on
    t1g3rstyl3.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Whoa.

You're saying if I get a PS3, I should also update my PC so I can actually play some games?

Huh?

japan on
  • Options
    fkn creepfkn creep Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hideo is a fucking nutcase.
    media?id=3398959&type=lg

Game failed before it even came out.

Why do all the screens look so blurry like it's still PS2?

fkn creep on
    t1g3rstyl3.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    slash000: And? I'm not talking about sales of systems, I'm talking about whether or not the system is actually worth getting. When a PC version of a game exists, and you already have a PC, what's the point of buying a console to play it on?

We're not talking about getting a 360 or not.

You're trying to say that since a game is on the 360 and on the PC, then it somehow negates the con of not having it on the PS3 at all.

I'm sorry, but a great game on a system is always great for that system. You cannot argue that a system that lacks the game is on equal terms with the other system that does have it simply because the game can also be found elsewhere.

Sales figures show that the gaming market vastly prefers the 360 version anyway. (Oh noes! I used sales figures!)

THIS IS THE LAST POST I AM MAKING ABOUT 360 VS PS3. JUST KNOW THAT I WOULD SAY SOMETHING IF I WASN'T STOPPING MYSELF NOW.

The 360 is hailed as having an incredible number of games on it that other systems do not. But really, if you can buy those games on your PC, you don't need a 360 for the. Sure, the fact that they're not on the PS3 is a strike against the PS3. But the fact that they're not really 360 exclusive is a half a strike against the 360. And problems with the 360 make the PS3 better in comparison.

1) 360 is not competing against PC

1a) Orange Box, Bioshock and Gears prove that the vast majority of sales of a game on 360 and Pc are on the Xbox.

2) The Pc platform is so closely tied to the 360 (Microsoft basically runs both) that if you were considering this argument as a 'versus war' then it doesnt matter, Microsoft still wins on both.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Does this game have a release date yet?

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    MarioG wrote: »
    Does this game have a release date yet?

:facepalm:

edit for bold

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Fragglefart: Get an actual review. Not a preview. And not from somewhere that consistently gives PS3 games bad reviews, like Eurogamer. Get somewhere that's actually fair.

slash000: And? I'm not talking about sales of systems, I'm talking about whether or not the system is actually worth getting. When a PC version of a game exists, and you already have a PC, what's the point of buying a console to play it on?

And for the not being able to easily upgrade- I know people with 5-6 year old computers that run Crysis just fine. FUCKING CRYSIS. It can also run Bioshock. My computer could easily run them with a simple Vista upgrade. And it's about 3 years old. Don't pretend that these things are actually that hard to run.

Drez: Even if Vista sucks, it's not as bad as the 360's ridiculous failure rate. It was what, 30% or something like that? No console has ever been that bad.

Radikal_Dreamer: On the subject of Infamous, FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP

id love to see the screenshots of these 5-6 year old systems running crysis at very low settings at 5fps out of combat.

Angry on
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Angry wrote: »
    Fragglefart: Get an actual review. Not a preview. And not from somewhere that consistently gives PS3 games bad reviews, like Eurogamer. Get somewhere that's actually fair.

And for the not being able to easily upgrade- I know people with 5-6 year old computers that run Crysis just fine. FUCKING CRYSIS. It can also run Bioshock. My computer could easily run them with a simple Vista upgrade. And it's about 3 years old. Don't pretend that these things are actually that hard to run.

Drez: Even if Vista sucks, it's not as bad as the 360's ridiculous failure rate. It was what, 30% or something like that? No console has ever been that bad.

Radikal_Dreamer: On the subject of Infamous, FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP

id love to see the screenshots of these 5-6 year old systems running crysis at very low settings at 5fps out of combat.
    I'm sure it's a very pretty slide show.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    fkn creep wrote: »
    media?id=3398959&type=lg

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20070920004540675.jpg

Soooo blurry!!! MGS4 is doomed!

JJ on
  • Options
    Lord ShplaneLord Shplane Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wow, a low resolution picture on the internet.

It looked absolutely beautiful in my Game Informer (I get it with my Edge Card from EBStop).

Lord Shplane on
    Awww... My evil anime mask guy picture doesn't work. ;_;
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I say that you really play as the monkey and his codename is Chunky Monkey.

Couscous on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

Day one purchase confirmed.

You know, more than it previously was.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So, can we talk about MGS now? Is anyone else playing through the games before 4 hits in order to get more psyched? Is it worth it to play the regular Metal Gear 1 & 2 games? Should I play Twin Snakes instead of MGS1?

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I missed 3 so im thinking about picking that one up.
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Day one purchase confirmed.

You know, more than it previously was.

Before it was a "Ill pick it up after work day one" purchase but now its a "call in work sick" purchase!

MistaCreepy on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I missed 3 so im thinking about picking that one up.

For some reason I loved 1, and REALLY loved 2, but I never got 3 until Subsistence hit 20 bucks, and then I didn't even play it until now. No idea why, really.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    man. MGS3 is my favorite MGS. Or rather, it's tied with MGS1. It's fucking fantastic. Possibly my favorite PS2 game.

play it.

slash000 on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Why isn't fkn creep banned yet?

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Because his comments are so retarded that they can't even be taken as flame bait. Everyone finds them hilarious!

slash000 on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

Because his comments are so retarded that they can't even be taken as flame bait. Everyone finds them hilarious!

I think I need to take a shit.

Really bad.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    man. MGS3 is my favorite MGS. Or rather, it's tied with MGS1. It's fucking fantastic. Possibly my favorite PS2 game.

play it.

It is pretty damned good so far. I really have no idea why it took this long for me to play it. It's nice though because now I can go back through and play the games in timeline order and get two games I haven't played right off the bat (MGS3 and then PO)

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    .la1n.la1n Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Brass Monkey.
    that funky monkey

.la1n on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    media?id=3398959&type=lg

More new media of MGS4 released!
    rtf_mgs1.jpg

I think I'll pass on this one.

Dirty on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Dirty wrote: »
    media?id=3398959&type=lg

rtf_mgs1.jpg

Too much bloom.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Crim09Crim09 Registered User new member
    edited December 2007
    I MUST wait, though no time is to long.

Crim09 on
  • Options
    Lord ShplaneLord Shplane Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    media?id=3398959&type=lg

rtf_mgs1.jpg

You do realize that that can't possibly be MGS4, right? That's Young Snake, not Old Snake.

Or maybe you were joking. It's really hard to tell with all the PS3 bashing that goes on. I'm serious, I actually can't tell if someone's joking anymore. That's how retarded some of the stuff people say is.

Lord Shplane on
    Awww... My evil anime mask guy picture doesn't work. ;_;
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    media?id=3398959&type=lg

rtf_mgs1.jpg

You do realize that that can't possibly be MGS4, right? That's Young Snake, not Old Snake.

Or maybe you were joking. It's really hard to tell with all the PS3 bashing that goes on. I'm serious, I actually can't tell if someone's joking anymore. That's how retarded some of the stuff people say is.

I can't tell if you're joking
    You must be

bruin on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    media?id=3398959&type=lg

rtf_mgs1.jpg

You must be
    He's not. The poor pitiful Sony fan card is really being played up lately.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    media?id=3398959&type=lg

Are... are you fucking serious?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    media?id=3398959&type=lg

rtf_mgs1.jpg

You must be
    He's not. The poor pitiful Sony fan card is really being played up lately.

Gotta love that condescending tone!

MistaCreepy on