As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NOVA Has declared bankrupcy

13»

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ketherial wrote: »

nothing will ever atone for the atrocities that japan committed against it's enemies. they were fucking horrible, and in my opinion, some of the most horrible acts ever committed in the history of mankind.

Really? Aside from Pearl Harbor what did they do? You always hear about Germany, but not Japan.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Derrick wrote: »

nothing will ever atone for the atrocities that japan committed against it's enemies. they were fucking horrible, and in my opinion, some of the most horrible acts ever committed in the history of mankind.

Really? Aside from Pearl Harbor what did they do? You always hear about Germany, but not Japan.
    Japan treated the rest of Asia like shit. Medically Unethical (like, poison and such) Experiments and the like.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Derrick wrote: »

Rape of Nanking anyone? 150,000-300,000 dead? 10s of thousands of women raped and murdered?

How about Death Marches?

And that's just like a few incidents.

Really, when you've got to mention the Nazi's to overshadow your war crimes, your in bad territory.

shryke on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I wish people differentiated more between the Japans of now and then.

With Germany you can talk about 'The Nazis' and everyone knows you don't mean my mate Ernst (unless you're a racist dumbarse).

But with Japanese WW2 war-crimes everyone just talks about 'The Japanese' and doesn't really differentiate.

I keep trying to make 'Tojo-ites' a word, but so far it's not working.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    poshniallo wrote: »

With Germany you can talk about 'The Nazis' and everyone knows you don't mean my mate Ernst (unless you're a racist dumbarse).

But with Japanese WW2 war-crimes everyone just talks about 'The Japanese' and doesn't really differentiate.

Because it doesn't roll off the tongue at all. Make it smoother and you've got a shot.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Tojo-ers?

Showa-ites?

Showas?

Basicallynazisinallbutname?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    badfishbadfish Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    poshniallo wrote: »

It's inevitable posh. Japan is really the one country in Asia that the western world can consider a solid ally. So naturally, our leaders and activists want to fuck that up. Japanese school children visit Hiroshima all year round, learning about the war and the consequences of it. They are sat down in a group and it is explained that the bombing, while incredibly wrong, was not just the fault of America but also an effect of Japan's decisions during that era.

Japan is a solid, democratic country now. Of course with their good share of issues, but still.

So yeah... NOVA, that's too bad.

badfish on
    "What you had there is what we refer to as a focused non-terminal repeating phantasm or a Class 5 full-roaming vapor."
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think most people get it. WWII Japan =/= Modern Japan.

Hell, I'd consider it one of our greatest successes coming out of that war. We turned one of our most bitter enemies into one of our staunchest allies.

But that shit still happened. Hell, there's still people alive who were there.

shryke on