As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CoH/CoV] Chat: Big patch! Spring Fling event! ITT we plan Accualt's wedding.

• Options
    ArcasArcas Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    /SR may be good but that doesn't make stalkers good.

Arcas on
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    oooohh...ouch!!!!!!

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pony wrote: »
    see, i like soloing, so SR has always turned me off

Considering SR is better at soloing than teaming you don't make a damn lick of sense.

Accualt on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hey Dysmal/Corvus. How's Oppressive Gloom in the Dark epic pool? For my Defender's last two power choices, I'm thinking of going Soul Drain, then Life Drain. But I'll go Opp. Gloom if it's good.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    LepLep Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Level bump for willpower and db characters on test tomorrow if anyone wants to mess around with the sets still.
    Link

Lep on
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    my mother has been hidden..thanks for the warning

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Goddamit you guys....guess I'm coming back...

If anyone wants some Villain-action, lemme know when I'm online (Player name=Zinnar and I usually play Doms or Stalkers)

I MIGHT play a few heroes.....I kinda wanna play a Claws/sr scrapper but I dont like the current hero-claws....and I DO have my blaster....

We will see.

We will see.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm coming back because i11 looks like the coolest thing evar. The last three issues have been phenomenal. The new claws sets (my personal favorite melee powerset) are so awesome it is hard to describe them. Willpower is the bees knees as far as RP characters go, and dual blades looks pretty sweet for a stalker, as one of the combos gives you +damage anytime you successfully build up, AS, and placate. Wow. New ninja toon is go.

Arch on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    korodullin wrote: »
    Hey Dysmal/Corvus. How's Oppressive Gloom in the Dark epic pool? For my Defender's last two power choices, I'm thinking of going Soul Drain, then Life Drain. But I'll go Opp. Gloom if it's good.

(Not Dysmal, but...) I like it. It's handy if you can remember to position yourself to keep mobs in the PBAOE. Just leave it on all the time and you get "free" disorients. If you're weighing it against Life Drain, then Opp Gloom is clearly the better choice IMHO. For Dark/Darks, Life Drain doesn't make much sense since you have Twilight Grasp and Dark Blast. That, plus LD's end cost and recharge make it rather unattractive.

My D3 has Opp Gloom, Dark Consumption, Soul Drain, and finally Vengeance as her 41+ powers... I skipped Dark Embrace; never seen the benefit of the limited EPP shields. Especially with Twilight Grasp.

My only annoyance with my build is that I'm usually running 5 toggles. With no mez protection. D:

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    korodullin wrote: »

Well, its good as a stun, and potentially a strong combo with Dark Pit and Howling Twilight, but I didn't like it that much. I found I was trying to wander around in melee getting things stunned and putting myself out of position to use my cones like Fearsome Stare, Tentacles and Nightfall. Its solid control, but I've never felt like I actually needed it.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This weekend, my brother's spending the night and bringing his computer. We'll probably be running the lowbie trio group we've been doing with my roommate. We'll announce it when we start, but we'll all be around 21-23 with possible lackey room (if we aren't lackeying one of our lower characters together).

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Some thoughts on the new sets:

Dual Blades:

Weaken - crap

Empower - I'm not sure how good this is. It looks like it was about a +50% or so base, where just using BF was +30%, but using Ablating Strike before BF isn't a bad idea, as lowering the defense never hurts. I'm not sure what the To Hit bonus is, but it's a pretty quick combo to throw out, so it's got that going for it.

Attack Vitals - I really want to like this combo. It's pretty quick to throw out, ends in a cone and does fairly decent damage, which I think isn't subject to lethal resist. On the other hand, Vengeful Slice. Right in the middle of the chain you have a power with a lot of knockback, so you either have to change targets to something you don't care about or be near a wall. It's surprisingly hard to get a bunch of targets with this, as you have to set it up before you start and things like to move. I want to like it.

Sweep - Huge fucking letdown. Damage is junk and it throws people all over the fucking place. I was really surprised when I tried it out.

Overall the set it nice, but I'm astoundingly let down by the combos. There's really none that I feel like I'd work an attack chain around other than Attack Vitals, and even that is a bitch.

EDIT - I have to give sweep a better chance. I think I used it on enemies below my level, so it might just be a knockup instead of a knockback.

Willpower:

I like it from what I've tried so far. From what I've seen on large groups Tough and Weave are almost necessary, as the alpha potential for this set is fucking enormous. With Regen you had a click heal to prevent the second volley from killing you, but with Willpower they just have to get you low enough or you'll have to pop pills like mad. It feels like a completely solid soloing/small team set, but I hope nobody that ever plays it ends up teamed with a lot of knockback, as I could really tell when things left my aura. I'm looking forward to this set, though. The Tier 9 is awesome, although I might change my tune in the face of an AV. I'm surprised at not being able to slot for recharge, though.

Pb on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hmm. Dual Blades is crap? What AT were you testing on?

Also:
    I'm surprised at not being able to slot for recharge, though.

Not only can you not slot Strength of Will for recharge as of today...

• Strength of Will for Willpower power set is no longer affected by attack rate modifiers, such as Hasten or Accelerate Metabolism.

That is utterly baffling.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I like Dual Blades, I just find the combos to be underwhelming. Or maybe you didn't actually read what I wrote.

Pb on
  • Options
    ProfessorPolycarpProfessorPolycarp Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A list of the actual combo effects (I don't think these stats have changed, although empower may have been boosted a bit). Blinding Feint I believe is base +10% to hit and 30% damage/37.5% damage on scrappers.

Empower: +3.325% ToHit (All AT's), +10% Damage (Scrappers), +8% Damage (All others) for 10s.

Weaken: -10% ToHit and -10% Defense (All AT's) edit: Think the duration is 20 seconds.

Attack Vitals: 5x 0.204 DS Damage (Total of 1.02, for comparison Sweeping Strike does 1.7 DS damage. So, for three of the AT's Attack Vitals adds 60% damage to Sweeping Strike).

Sweep: 0.57 DS Damage + Knockdown.

One thing about Attack Vitals, it happens to be natural for your best single target chain damage (during closed beta, one of the devs mentioned the AV abbreviation was no accident).
    I like sweep in teams where you can't always depend on a tight cone bunch, but wasn't so impressed with it solo. Extending the combo timers helped some.
    Weaken is good if you're near the defense cap, so it's not so useful for a solo DB/WP. Obviously it's good highly stacked, but duh.
    Personally I thought empower was pretty skippable, but Blinding Feint is a must have.

ProfessorPolycarp on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Where the heck do I go for level 36 SOs as a villain?

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Septus wrote: »

Quatermasters in St. Marital should have some.

Pb on
  • Options
    ProfessorPolycarpProfessorPolycarp Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    RWZ or St. Martial.

ProfessorPolycarp on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Filled up my Spines/Willpower scrapper with level 35 SOs, and headed to Creys Folly to test things out. Firstly, as with Regen, with Quick Recovery and Stamina, endurance was never a problem, even fighting continuously while running all the WP toggles, Quills, and Combat Jumping, with all but CJ slotted for endurance. And CJ basically costs no endurance anyways. Survivability against hazard zone sized spawns of even to +2s seemed decent, but nothing special either. I didn't have slots in HPT, so that may affect things I guess. I think I had 3 Heal in RttC, 3 Heal in FH, 3 Res in MoB, 3 Def in HS. I managed to take out a spawn of three even level Freak Tanks with out any major danger, so that seems like decent performance against a high burst damage enemy.

Had a hard time finding anything above 38s in CF though. Maybe I'll try the Abandoned Sewers or RWZ next I guess.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Man, I am sucking ass at this. Not being familiar with the powers, I'm very slow to get the combos off, and I'm being stunned constantly and having to reclick my toggles.

Septus on
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh holy shit, I leave for a month or so and everything changes. Someone sum it up for me.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Okay, I ran some more tests and I was wrong about AV and somewhat wrong about Sweep. I must have only run Empower and Weaken on the higher level mobs, as the knockback isn't as bad on higher stuff, although there's still some present in AV, I think. I'm still finding myself getting locked into the combos, which is to the detriment of DPS at times, but it's pretty easy to go BF -> Sweep -> BF -> AV -> BF etc.

I just gotta figure out a good Brute secondary to use now. If DA didn't obscure the blades I'd use it in a heartbeat, but at this rate it looks like either Fire or WP, with Fire being a bit more desirable due to the damage aura.

Pb on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I can't see myself using a more "active" secondary than willpower with DB. I'm having to do lots of positioning for aoes, as well as manage my combos, I'd rather not have to manage my secondary as well. Fiery was the only other secondary I was going to consider villain-side, and I may not want to deal with it.

Septus on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Too bad you're talking villains/brutes, because it really doesn't get much more mindless/inactive then Regen.
    "Huh? Dying?"
    -click IH
    "What? Again?"
    -Click DP

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Bitstream wrote: »
    Oh holy shit, I leave for a month or so and everything changes. Someone sum it up for me.

NCSoft takeover..Studio Move..Issue 11(soon).

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Nocren wrote: »
    Too bad you're talking villains/brutes, because it really doesn't get much more mindless/inactive then Regen.
    "Huh? Dying?"
    -click IH
    "What? Again?"
    -Click DP

Except Regen's powers force redraw.

Pb on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I totally missed out on an opportunity to try out Spines, Martial Arts, hell, all of the melee primaries with the level bump.

:(

Septus on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Can a character on a team that is doing his fortune teller mission still get the badge if he drops right after the mission? I'm just wondering so I can log out and get another character on the team for the badge.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think so.

If not, well, there's always Flashback in about 2 weeks.

Scooter on
  • Options
    LepLep Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Can a character on a team that is doing his fortune teller mission still get the badge if he drops right after the mission? I'm just wondering so I can log out and get another character on the team for the badge.

Both characters will get the badge.

Lep on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That's all I need to know. Thanks for the reply.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well account went inactive yesterday, I'll probably reactivate whenever I11 hits, plus i'm gonna be too busy playing ROCK BAND and what not.

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lepwave wrote: »
    ..plus i'm gonna be too busy playing ROCK BAND and what not.
    starrpower1bz7.png

Also, I know that I'm going to be rerolling my Elec/Elec brute when Issue 11 comes out. I still want to keep an Electric power set on her, though.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VoraciousAardvarkVoraciousAardvark Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I hate to tard my way into the thread, but its been since city of villians came out that I've played, and some friends are trying to get me back into the game. I glanced around and looked for a free trial, to see if I'm going to enjoy it before paying for the game again. Is anyone aware of a free trial, as my friends are all oblivious? If I skipped over it in the OP, make fun of me as you will and direct me that way. Thanks.

VoraciousAardvark on
    DirectLogo.jpg
  • Options
    ArcasArcas Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Send me a PM with your email and I can send you a trial

Arcas on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Righto, thanks.

VoraciousAardvark on
    DirectLogo.jpg
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Make your friends roll on Virtue.
    You'll have umpteen million times more fun.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Also if they don't, just leave them behind and come join us. We are better anyway.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    RL friends, all bigger than me, so I'll play that one safe.

VoraciousAardvark on
    DirectLogo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    RL friends, all bigger than me, so I'll play that one safe.

Pssh..the smaller guys are usually the craziest anyway.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Sad but true. I'll mess around on Virtue regardless, though I still have to make the hero/villian choice (for the first toon of course).

VoraciousAardvark on
    DirectLogo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.