As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sony Marketing = Its About Damn Time

lsukalellsukalel Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
New Ads for the PS3 actually really make me want to buy a PS3 now. It looks like Sony may be FINALLY getting at least some of their shit together.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/01/sony-gets-head-in-the-game-with-new-ps3-ad-campaign/

Edit : Just in case, the song is called "Ladies and Gentlemen" by Saliva

lsukalel on

• Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Aw. It's like Playstation and Spiderman 3 are twins.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    XenoXeno Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I REALLY like this ad. Makes me feel safe in my eventual PS3 purchase.

Xeno on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's kinda sad (and this isn't meant as a troll) that there's only really 4-5 or so good PS3 full budget exclusives. Add felt like it could have done with a lot more games and a lot less seething black mass.

Rook on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Where are the crying baby dolls?! How can this be a good ad without crying baby dolls?!

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think Sony's execs have finally been taken down a peg and are starting to make competent decisions, but it's just too late. They blew it and completely squandered the PS2's massive lead. At this point I still think they're just fighting for a less-humiliating 3rd place. The console isn't horrible, if not for the 360 I might even have bought one, but there just isn't nearly enough reason to fork over that much money for it as a third console.

Zek on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That ad made me feel safe. (tm)

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm really astounded by how many PS3 owners are cheering publicly in forums all across the Internet at the creation of new advertisements for their platform of choice.

Even a comment in this thread about it making them feel "safer" is pretty weird. On one hand it just goes to show how even the devotees see their platform of choice, but it's also telling to those of us who didn't buy into the platform just how desperate things really are on that side of the fence.

Gaming-Module on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    "Starting at $399."

I cringe whenever I hear this.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is so much better than the previous creepy PS3 ads from America and the "This is Living" commercials we had in Europe that didn't even have that much to do with the PS3.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Great ad - but I still think that if the choice is between a 360 and a PS3 I would roll with the 360.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It doesn't really address the fundamental problem that only some games that I really want to play (such as Halo 3 or Mass Effect) would make me want to buy a PS3.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I don't have a ps3, I have a wii and a ps2 so I am in the market for a new higher graphic system, and something like this at least makes me think the PS3 is a possibility, because I was pretty much not even considering the PS3 at all before this ad. Which is what ads are supposed to do, because with the awesome Gears of War ad last year , Halo 3 "believe" campaign, and the Bioshock ads to name a few I was SOLD on an XBOX 360, but these ads make me think hey maybe the PS3 might rock.

lsukalel on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Not bad - pretty neat ad. Now if they could just fix those insanely obnoxious "Get your own" ads for the PSP...

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Good ad. Shows off a bunch of exclusives too.

Sheep on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I hope they release that here, it was actually a really cool advert.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The problem was never with their advertising.

It was with the shit that came out of their executives' mouths, whom all seem to have forgotten to take their Public Relations 101 classes when they grabbed their M.B.A.s.

After the recent Wall Street Journal interview where Tretton said they removed BC to try and get people to buy more PS3 games, I still don't think they've gotten the message.

Gork on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Neat ad, and yes, it is about damn time. I'm finally starting to see a lot of ads in magazines now, too, which has got to be a good thing.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Evil_PigEvil_Pig Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's about time they get more publicity.
    Who knows, it might actually boost sales.

Good for you, Saliva.

Evil_Pig on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2007
    That was a pretty slick ad.

If I had $400, I would... well, I'd still buy other things. If I had several thousand dollars, I would purchase a PS3 right after I picked up a new sub, better receiver, Rock Band, a guitar, dinner at a nice restaurant with my wife, and a weekend trip somewhere relaxing.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wow, I never thought I'd see the day when Sony show off an ad that isn't just doesn't-scare-me, but it actually good. Well done, Sony. Well done.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I like this ad a lot better than that retarded new 360 one where they paradrop one in or something.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Gork wrote: »
    The problem was never with their advertising.

It was with the shit that came out of their executives' mouths, whom all seem to have forgotten to take their Public Relations 101 classes when they grabbed their M.B.A.s.

After the recent Wall Street Journal interview where Tretton said they removed BC to try and get people to buy more PS3 games, I still don't think they've gotten the message.

Well, there was never a "the problem". There was a giant, congealing glut of problems, including ridiculous price, excess concern with BluRay, retarded execs, no compelling library, lost exclusives and - yes - atrocious ads. They're gradually picking away at the problems, and it's nice to see them address the marketing issues. At last.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    lsukalel wrote: »
    I don't have a ps3, I have a wii and a ps2 so I am in the market for a new higher graphic system, and something like this at least makes me think the PS3 is a possibility, because I was pretty much not even considering the PS3 at all before this ad. Which is what ads are supposed to do, because with the awesome Gears of War ad last year , Halo 3 "believe" campaign, and the Bioshock ads to name a few I was SOLD on an XBOX 360, but these ads make me think hey maybe the PS3 might rock.

C'mon now. You can praise an advertisement for being pretty, sounding good or having a catchy ... something, but to openly admit that you are being consciously influenced by one is just silly.

What does an advertisement change about a product that wasn't already there? The same games are out and the same games are coming out. The same articles, previews, videos and developer interviews are still filed away on the web or slated to happen in the next few months. The hardware is still the same.

How does an ad change all of that and somehow make it attractive, when before the ad it wasn't, unless you were already convinced or are just being facetious?

Gaming-Module on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The One Problem with the PS3 has always been its price. It's the $599 price tag that drove away consumers, and developers soon followed. The fact that their execs were assholes and their ads total garbage just added fuel to the fire. They're starting to get to a place where their price tag is almost reasonable, but now they're suffering from the lack of exclusive titles that resulted from their price being so ridiculous at launch.

Zek on
  • Options
    shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Herby wrote: »
    Not bad - pretty neat ad. Now if they could just fix those insanely obnoxious "Get your own" ads for the PSP...

CollECTabllle!

I haven't really minded the PS3 ads for a while now. The ones they've been running for months that show the PS3 in that big empty room for a second and then start showing gameplay footage aren't that bad.

Goodness knows I'm not actually going to buy the thing, of course.

shyguy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    How does an ad change all of that and somehow make it attractive, when before the ad it wasn't, unless you were already convinced or are just being facetious?

Done well, an ad can put things in perspective. Even if you've seen footage of Ratchet & Clank and Heavenly Sword and thought, "Hey, those look cool," the ad can show you how cool they look in motion, add in some footage for a few more great games, and get across the message that, "Hey, if you want to play all these great games, you need to pony up for a PS3."

I mean, it can also trigger some caveman-like guttural reaction, such as, "Nguh, games look pretty! Want buy!" which isn't something I'd cop to, but I think that an ad can influence even people who aren't braindead meat sacks.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wetsun wrote: »
    They're both substandard forms of entertainment?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Wetsun wrote: »
    They're both substandard forms of entertainment?

Well, that too.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    K, well being that I am in the market for a new system I consider alot of factors. And believe me this last year I have said my share of lol sonys, but honestly the way these ads are put together does influence me because it gets me to focus on what the PS3 could be and not what fuck ups they had in the past or what it is now.

Am I upset about lack of BC on the 40GB - Yes,

Do I think that the price was and to a certain factor is to high - Yes

Do I think that XBOX 360 has more compelling exclusives - YES

BUT

Does this ad make me think that maybe Sony could get it together and work harder to correct the mistakes they have made in the past and thus make it a very entertaining experience - YES

And ( I swear this is not a cheap shot just something that has caused me to hold off) do I not want to buy a 360 till the new chip sets are definitively out and it won't break - YES

I am just saying that as I am in the market for one of the two this ad has influnced me and thus made me reconsider getting an XBOX 360 and maybe just maybe getting a PS3

lsukalel on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That first add made the PS3 look really damn good.
    Honestly, if it wasn't for the pesky facts of the matter, that would have helped sway me towards picking one up this Christmas.

Accualt on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Does this ad make me think that maybe Sony could get it together and work harder to correct the mistakes they have made in the past and thus make it a very entertaining experience - YES, BECAUSE MAKING ONE AD THAT DOESN'T BLOW SHIT OUT OF ITS ASS IS A GREAT IMPROVEMENT :D

:P

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    lol very nice RichardTauber really:) , but the sad thing is that it is a great improvement lol

lsukalel on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    lol I never thought I would be defending Sony. This is just strange :)

lsukalel on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That's a good ad, much better than what they had last holiday season here. The song makes me want to kill and die, though.

bruin on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The song does suit the ad though.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007

And ( I swear this is not a cheap shot just something that has caused me to hold off) do I not want to buy a 360 till the new chip sets are definitively out and it won't break - YES

The Falcon 360 has been out for a month or two now, so I don't know if you're misinformed or what.

It has the die shrink on the CPU and the cooling solution that was first put into the Elite. The only thing that they have not added yet is the die shrink on the GPU. From what I understand, 2/3 of those revisions have been enough to have a significant impact on heat output, which is what was bricking systems in the first place.

I still don't have my 360 back, after returning it via my PRP for money that I then spent on a laptop, but when I get the money together I won't hesitate to buy one of the latest production models.

Gaming-Module on
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

The Falcon 360 has been out for a month or two now, so I don't know if you're misinformed or what.

It has the die shrink on the CPU and the cooling solution that was first put into the Elite. The only thing that they have not added yet is the die shrink on the GPU. From what I understand, 2/3 of those revisions have been enough to have a significant impact on heat output, which is what was bricking systems in the first place.

I still don't have my 360 back, after returning it via my PRP for money that I then spent on a laptop, but when I get the money together I won't hesitate to buy one of the latest production models.

Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I've read in other threads on this board the GPU is where the heat issues are and the heat sink, while helpful, just isn't enough to completely stop the problem, which in turn means that I'm at least going to wait until they add the revision to the GPU in. If I'm wrong some one please correct me so I can spend more money this November.

khain on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    K, I didn't know how widely they are distributed, but I still play my Dreamcast, sega, and n64 and I just don't like the idea that after 3 years I am shit out of luck and would have to buy another one. I will probably buy an xbox 360 but it isn't a lock anymore because as much as Sony has fucked up ( AND THEY HAVE) at least I wouldn't have to play in constant fear of it breaking. That is of ENORMOUS value to me.

lsukalel on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The original ads, though horrible, were designed to build up hype for a highly anticipated machine that sold itself, a la the weird-ass "Playstation 9" ads during the PS2's launch.

The problem is, once people learned it was $600, the machine no longer sold itself. People needed a reason to buy it. And the reason Sony gave was: creepy possessed baby dolls. And exploding Rubik's Cubes.

This is much much much MUCH better. A good ad, even if you don't compare it to the horribleness that came before.

Problem is, it might have come too late to undo the massive damage Sony has done to its brand.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    fkn creepfkn creep Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    MGS4 has been delayed until q2 2008, so there goes my reason for purchasing a PS3 this holiday season. I pretty much think I won't be getting one until the release date. Sony pretty much has butterfingers on the market, cause they keep slipping farther away from my gamer's heart.

fkn creep on
    t1g3rstyl3.png