As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Why all the love for the 360?

Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
I'm a PS3/Wii owner, and I'm curious. Why do you guys love your 360's so much? What's so special about them?

Is it because of the exclusives? The cheaper price? Live? Because it's the only platform with Halo 3? Some other reason that I'm unaware of?

I'm not trying to troll here, I'm serious. I've been considering buying a 360 but remain unconvinced.

steam_sig.png
Lord Yod on

• GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Of the three current gen consoles, it has the games I want to play right now. That's pretty much it, for me.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Is it because of the exclusives?

For me, it is this. 360 is the only platform I can play Halo, Gears of War, Dead Rising, Mass Effect, and like a dozen more on.

bruin on
  • stranger678stranger678 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It has the best online integration and game lineup of any system.

And the best holiday lineup of games that I can remember...ever.

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Gyral wrote: »
    Of the three current gen consoles, it has the games I want to play right now. That's pretty much it, for me.

Apparently that's not a good reason to own a console.

Atlus Parker on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Bioshock + Mass Effect
    And the best holiday lineup of games that I can remember...ever.
    This.

November is an amazing month for the Xbox 360.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I don't own a 360, but I can see the reasons.

It has a fairly high quality library, and for those who care about online play Live is the best there is.

With the reliability issues being solved there's no real reason to be cautious about the system.

I'll probably get a 360 as a secondary system later.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    360 has a lot of good exclusives like Halo 3, Crackdown, Mass Effect, Saints Row, and such, as well as really good multi platform games that don't come out for the PC. It also has the strongest online system the consoles so far.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I would say that that's the only good reason to own a console - for the software.

But the PS3 and the Wii also have some awesome exclusives. Maybe not now, but certainly in the works. So why all the hate for the PS3 if this is the reason?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Live Arcade is an awesome reason to own a 360.

Samphis on
    edited November 2007
    The hate for the PS3 is mainly for the price.

Pata on
  • Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It quite simply has the most diverse, high-quality lineup of the three platforms right now, which is kind of ironic, since the original X-Box was very much focused on first and third person shooters, racing games and sports games, with a smattering of RPG's and oddball Sega games of various pedigree and genre.

I think another part of it is that it has replaced PC gaming for me, since I refuse to enter back into that stupid upgrade cycle ever again.

Gaming-Module on
  • NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I would say that that's the only good reason to own a console - for the software.

But the PS3 and the Wii also have some awesome exclusives. Maybe not now, but certainly in the works. So why all the hate for the PS3 if this is the reason?

The only people who hate the PS3 are people that are insane. Don't listen to insane people.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
    edited November 2007
    360 has those games now.

PS3 promises those games for the future, that's going to cause a backlash among the internet hordes when you try and compare the two systems. In two years the ps3 will probably be an awesome system for everyone to own. As of today, 360 is the place to be for the great games.

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Third party games are usually released earlier on the 360.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Really it just comes down to having games I want to play. I have a Wii, but aside from Zack and Wiki there is nothing I'm playing on that. The 360 has tons.

And, yeah, the few PS3 exclusives I'm kind of interested in have two problems:
    1) not very many of them
    2) the price to aquire the hardware

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have no idea why.

But the 360 reminds me of the the Dreamcast with actual money and marketing behind it.

That's good enough for me.

Transporter on
    edited November 2007
    Neva wrote: »
    The only people who hate the PS3 are people that are insane. Don't listen to insane people.

Fair enough, sounds like good advice.

Except that I keep seeing people who otherwise seem like decently intelligent folks, relatively well-grounded and whatnot, spouting off MS fanboyisms left and right.

And then I scroll down and see the thread that says 'So my 360 died again. 3 times now.'

How does this make sense? Why are people so forgiving of this sort of thing?

At this point basically two things are keeping me from buying one, one is the RROD and the other is the charge for a Live subscription.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    Really it just comes down to having games I want to play. I have a Wii, but aside from Zack and Wiki there is nothing I'm playing on that. The 360 has tons.

And, yeah, the few PS3 exclusives I'm kind of interested in have two problems:
    1) not very many of them
    2) the price to aquire the hardware

Pretty much that's the main problem right now with the PS3, it will change but right now it's hard to recommend it over the 360 because of the games at the moment.

Lothars on
    edited November 2007
    The RROD problem is generally gone, with MS replacing any systems have have it for free, and the new versions of the 360 having fixed the design flaw that caused the RROD in the first place.

Pata on
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Bioshock.

Greeper on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I hopped on the Wii bandwagon in January. I've probably played the thing for about 50 hours total, if that.

I've owned the 360 for about a week. I've probably played free games and demos alone via live for about 100 hours.

DiscoZombie on
  • lsukalellsukalel Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    At this point basically two things are keeping me from buying one, one is the RROD and the other is the charge for a Live subscription.

Exactly.

lsukalel on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Pata wrote: »

And rootkit.

And RIAA racketeering.

And the high ratio of PS2 defects.

But that won't stop me from getting a PS3. Eventually. Just like with the repair issues with the 360, and Microsoft's behavior, the software lineup will eventually be worth the money and time invested and will negate any warranted or unwarranted ill will I hold towards the company.

The above thing just kept me from jumping on the PS3 so soon. Same reason I didn't get a 360 for the first year of release.

Any way.

Why do I dig the 360? Unparalleled online gaming backed by tons of great games. Some multiplatform, some not. However, when I do own a PS3, and I do want a cross platform game, I will go with the PS3 version only if it offers a major feature that the 360 version doesn't have. 360 version automatically has Xbox Live and achievements, so the PS3 version will really need something nifty behind it.

Kinda like the Stranglehold + Movie Blu Ray combo they had. That was brilliant.

Any way. I'm sure either me or my brother will be picking up a PS3 in the coming months. He's working overtime specifically so we can get an even larger HD TV, and I think I'm going to "give" him my Wii to take with him to work, in exchange for "rights" to half of a purchased PS3, with intent to reimburse him fully in the future.

I imagine a 20gig, fully backwards compatible system won't be too expensive now given the price drop.

EDIT

Since I brought it up. Any GameStop employees able to tell me how much the old, 20 gig PS3s are running for now? Or does anyone know in general?

Sheep on
    edited November 2007
    The RROD problem is generally gone, with MS replacing any systems have have it for free, and the new versions of the 360 having fixed the design flaw that caused the RROD in the first place.

This is what I've heard/read about in several places, and honestly I hope it's true.

But to use an analogy, let's say you buy a new car. 3 months later it breaks down and you have to bring it into the dealer for repairs which take 2-3 weeks or so. Nevermind the fact that they're doing it under warranty, wouldn't this piss you off to the point that you wouldn't buy that brand of car again? I'm just trying to understand the logic here.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2007
    I got over my fear of the red ring when MS announced the 3 year free replacement. It's still an issue, and the build quality if probably still shite, but I don't care about that other then my ability to play games. And between Halo 3, Bioshock, Portal, and all the others. 360 is where I have to be to play the games I love. I held out for a long time. But dude....you know Mass Effect is coming out right?

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Out of the three consoles, it's the one that has the best library of games. The Playstation 3's got a couple good games, but nothing really worth grabbing my attention yet, and the Wii only interested me for the Nintendo first party titles.

But the 360's got a bunch of killer titles. Dead Rising, Gears of War, Halo 3, PGR 3 and 4, Forza 2, The Orange Box, Crackdown, Guitar Hero II and III, Rock Band, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Call of Duty 4, Beautiful Katamari, shit, the list probably goes on. While some of those are multi-console games, I'd choose them on the 360 over other consoles because Live is the best option for online multiplayer out of the three consoles.

Xbox Live Arcade, achievement points, friend lists, and online community integration (gamertag cards like the one below) are also bonuses.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have no idea.
    There's very little on it you couldn't get on a decent pc.

Xagarath on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

And the fact that any of the high profile games people really want to play aren't even solidly scheluded for release yet (FFXIII) or aren't scheduled for months even if they don't get pushed back again (MGS4) or aren't even exclusive and aren't even necessarily the best version of the game (GTA and Assasin's Creed).

The price doesn't help that any, but it just doesn't have the games to compete with the 360's (and to many people even the Wii's) lineup at this point.
    Xagarath wrote: »
    I have no idea.
    ...that costs four times as much as the console.

JihadJesus on
    edited November 2007
    Dude, believe me it has been very hard to hold out on getting an Xbox 360. The Wii has held me over but I am probably going to get a 360 sooner than later but I don't like the prospect of having to be in fear of it bricking. I mean If i am going to spend 350 plus tax and probably another 150 for a few games then at 500 I want it to work and work for at least 7 years. I think that is completely reasonable. I have a launch PS2 that has never given me a problem. My wii is fine, so is my n64, sega genesis, dreamcast, and original gameboy I got in 1st grade. :) ( Which got dunked in mop water by my little sister when she was 4. Let it dry out and it was fine and still works)

lsukalel on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I have no idea.
    And has a whole bunch of games the 360 doesn;t to make up for it.
    Plus, y'know, I hear it does things that aren't gaming.

Basically, every time I look at the 360 lineup and feel tempted, it occurs to me that I'll be able to upgrade my pc in a year instead, and actually play Bioshock with a mouse and keyboard, which is infinitely more appealing.

Xagarath on
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

This is what I've heard/read about in several places, and honestly I hope it's true.

But to use an analogy, let's say you buy a new car. 3 months later it breaks down and you have to bring it into the dealer for repairs which take 2-3 weeks or so. Nevermind the fact that they're doing it under warranty, wouldn't this piss you off to the point that you wouldn't buy that brand of car again? I'm just trying to understand the logic here.

The logic is that they've taken great steps to fix those problems now and it's the only car that will take you to Halo 3 land (among many others).

I just got a 360 a week or two ago and I've had nothing but great experiences. 5 out of 6 games I own are exclusives (with the exception of Marvel Ultimate Alliance, but that came packed in) and they're the reason I bought the system. Games sell systems and Microsoft has got them.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
    edited November 2007
    lsukalel wrote: »
    Dude, believe me it has been very hard to hold out on getting an Xbox 360. The Wii has held me over but I am probably going to get a 360 sooner than later but I don't like the prospect of having to be in fear of it bricking. I mean If i am going to spend 350 plus tax and probably another 150 for a few games then at 500 I want it to work and work for at least 7 years. I think that is completely reasonable. I have a launch PS2 that has never given me a problem. My wii is fine, so is my n64, sega genesis, dreamcast, and original gameboy I got in 1st grade. :)

And I would prefer not to pay another $300 to play online during that time.

Look I'm not an idiot, I realize that there are some really good things going with the 360. I'm jealous of the exclusives like Mass Effect and Dead Rising. I'm not the biggest fan of FPS games so Halo doesn't do it for me, but I think I could get into Gears of War. Except that both of those games are going to be available on PC at some point, so why bother?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Dude, believe me it has been very hard to hold out on getting an Xbox 360. The Wii has held me over but I am probably going to get a 360 sooner than later but I don't like the prospect of having to be in fear of it bricking. I mean If i am going to spend 350 plus tax and probably another 150 for a few games then at 500 I want it to work and work for at least 7 years. I think that is completely reasonable. I have a launch PS2 that has never given me a problem. My wii is fine, so is my n64, sega genesis, dreamcast, and original gameboy I got in 1st grade. :)
    Well my Wii is going to be shipping out this week because it's bricked. Same thing happened to my GameCube.

I'm just saying that it could happen to any console.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007

Nope.

I've owned three "new" vehicles in my life time. All three had the standard warranty, and an additional 30,000 miles/Months warranty specifically to cover any unknown defect or problem.

Same thing with computers and most electronics.

Just because something (anything) is brand new does not mean there won't be problems.

Microsoft is simply in a bit more peculiar situation because we know that the problem exists because of them rushing the RnD on the system.

Sheep on
    edited November 2007
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I have no idea.
    And has a whole bunch of games the 360 doesn;t to make up for it.
    Plus, y'know, I hear it does things that aren't gaming.

Basically, every time I look at the 360 lineup and feel tempted, it occurs to me that I'll be able to upgrade my pc in a year instead, and actually play Bioshock with a mouse and keyboard, which is infinitely more appealing.

This is a console bashing thread....no PCs allowed.

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Yeah but I wouldnt have to be in fear of it in the same way. That is the bigger issue, piece of mind.

lsukalel on
  • wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

With a car yes. It costs thousands of dollars and you probably rely on it. With a console? No, I can live 2-3 weeks without it. I mean they're fixing the problem in a really awesome way that's costing them lots of money. What would you want them to do?

wobblyheadedbob on
    edited November 2007
    Goomba wrote: »
    Well my Wii is going to be shipping out this week because it's bricked. Same thing happened to my GameCube.

I'm just saying that it could happen to any console.

You're the first person I've heard of having a problem with either one of those. (Although to be fair it's not like I've researched it or anything)

And as I recall the industry standard is a 2% failure rate, so naturally some of them are going to break.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    For me? Good exclusives, the kind of games I really want. Mass Effect, Bioshock, Halo, Orange Box (obviously not an exclusive, but it kinda is for now), and a good few others, and that's just in these few months.

XBox Live. I don't really care about gamerscore, that much, so I have one "canonical" gamertag that I use for single-player games and their achievements, and whenever I get a new multiplayer game I want to play I just make a new gamertag (with a name noone else would use, I'm not that horrible) and grab the 30 day trial for it.

XBox Live Arcade is brilliant and often has just the kind of nice, small indie games I like in there mixed with classics and board games.

Nice controllers. I really really prefer the 360 controllers over the PS3. That's a very subjective thing, obviously.

And my box has never RROD'd on me in a year of use, so I guess I'm very happy with it.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited November 2007

And I would prefer not to pay another $300 to play online during that time.

Look I'm not an idiot, I realize that there are some really good things going with the 360. I'm jealous of the exclusives like Mass Effect and Dead Rising. I'm not the biggest fan of FPS games so Halo doesn't do it for me, but I think I could get into Gears of War. Except that both of those games are going to be available on PC at some point, so why bother?

Indeed sir, then why bother. You asked why people loved their 360s, the answer is the unified online service and tremendous game lineup, if that doesn't do it for you, then perhaps the 360 isn't FOR you.

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.