As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sold xbox360 how do I cancel my gold sub?

thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
so i found out today that you cant go back to Silver once you're gold. and I'm about to sell my xbox and I need to cancel my CC on there so i dont get charged anymore.

I deleted my profile so the guy im selling it too has to start a new one but what do i do about the monthly sub? Do i just call MS and ask them to stop billing?

xbl tag: Dynamis King
MineCraft: Menetherin
Steam: Vloeza_SE++

thedude_frombaywatch on

• xboxxerxboxxer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, there's no way online to do it. You have to call them and cancel. It's bullshit.

Oh, and make sure they actually cancel it. Last time I dealt with them (about a year ago), they fucked up, and didn't let my account expire, auto charging my card despite the fact that i called them to do it. I had to call them again, and they had the record of my initial call in their call log, but never implemented it, and they finally agreed to reverse the charges.

Bastards.

tl;dr. Don't trust Microsoft. Verify everything.

xboxxer on
    PSN: Entair / XBLive: White Seraph
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Alternate solution, lose your credit card and get a new one. They can't charge to it, they cancel it. This is normally how it works for me, I lose a lot of cards.

Burtletoy on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    1-800-4MYXBOX. Takes about 10 minutes.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I thought they had gone back and changed it on the 360 where you just go down to a silver once your gold runs out?

Rivulent on
  • MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's sad when canceling your credit card so they have no payment method from which to draw from is a faster method than the act of canceling the service itself.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Canceling any automatic payment is a bitch nowadays.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Alternate solution, lose your credit card and get a new one. They can't charge to it, they cancel it. This is normally how it works for me, I lose a lot of cards.

Trust me, that doesn't work. I spent an hour and a half arguing with them over the phone over that. They don't cancel your Xbox Live service, and proceed to take late fees out of your account when you do restart it. I paid for a year when I got the Xbox 360 and also put in a year card, so it should have been good through November 21st, 2007, but they canceled it at the end of September because just a couple months prior to getting the 360 I had let my account 'expire' on a debit card I no longer had, and because I used the same gamertag with the 360, they made me pay then for a period of time I was neither using Live, nor knew I still had Live.

It took an hour and half of bitching and arguing about their ass backwards system before they offered to give me a free month for the trouble.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited November 2007
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Trust me, that doesn't work. I spent an hour and a half arguing with them over the phone over that. They don't cancel your Xbox Live service, and proceed to take late fees out of your account when you do restart it. I paid for a year when I got the Xbox 360 and also put in a year card, so it should have been good through November 21st, 2007, but they canceled it at the end of September because just a couple months prior to getting the 360 I had let my account 'expire' on a debit card I no longer had, and because I used the same gamertag with the 360, they made me pay then for a period of time I was neither using Live, nor knew I still had Live.

It took an hour and half of bitching and arguing about their ass backwards system before they offered to give me a free month for the trouble.

Well its worked about 4 times for me and I've never had to pay for months I didn't use. I guess it could be because I've changed gamertags everytime, but they always send me an e-mail saying my account has been terminated because the card is no longer valid.

Burtletoy on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What the heck. You can go back to Silver after having a Gold subscription, and you can cancel it or change it right within your Xbox 360. Just go to Account Management. I believe the way I did it, though, was by just registering a Gold time-card. It switched it from the renewal Gold method to the time-card method, which expires after a time and goes back to Silver.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    What the heck. You can go back to Silver after having a Gold subscription, and you can cancel it or change it right within your Xbox 360. Just go to Account Management. I believe the way I did it, though, was by just registering a Gold time-card. It switched it from the renewal Gold method to the time-card method, which expires after a time and goes back to Silver.

Don't you still require a credit card which they will bill if your subscription runs out? Last time I had that fiasco was the original xbox which definitely required you to phone. They were trying to bill my expired credit card for months and when I updated the information they charged me but didn't give me service, ahh that was 'fun' to deal with.

djklay on
    edited November 2007
    The problems with that was, as the OP says, the guy sold his 360. Makes it hard to go into the 360 account management ya?

Burtletoy on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    djklay wrote: »

Don't you still require a credit card which they will bill if your subscription runs out? Last time I had that fiasco was the original xbox which definitely required you to phone. They were trying to bill my expired credit card for months and when I updated the information they charged me but didn't give me service, ahh that was 'fun' to deal with.

What? Time cards don't require credit cards, and when they expire your account just goes back to being Silver, meaning no one will be trying to bill you. You could either call them and have it done that way, which is probably cheaper, but if you could also just buy a one month Gold time card and do it that way, too. But it's good to know this anyways. I just use time cards so I don't get billed when I don't want to. If a game comes out that I want to play online, I'll get a one or three month time card.
    The problems with that was, as the OP says, the guy sold his 360. Makes it hard to go into the 360 account management ya?

Then his only option is to call. :P But I'm just debunking that once you go Gold, you can never go Silver again.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    djklay wrote: »

What? Time cards don't require credit cards, and when they expire your account just goes back to being Silver, meaning no one will be trying to bill you. You could either call them and have it done that way, which is probably cheaper, but if you could also just buy a one month Gold time card and do it that way, too. But it's good to know this anyways. I just use time cards so I don't get billed when I don't want to. If a game comes out that I want to play online, I'll get a one or three month time card.

Time cards used to require a credit card still, guess they changed that, good to know.

djklay on
  • liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah I'm XBLGold through a starter kit and I never once typed in any sort of card number. I'd love for them to charge my non-existent credit card. I'm confident that it will just drop down to silver.

liquidlogan on