As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I am not [chat]

• Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So this is either Red Planet or Mission to Mars. And it horribly, horribly shitty.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So this is either Red Planet or Mission to Mars. And it horribly, horribly shitty.

It's Mission to Mars and it's indeed le suck.

Edit: Sunshine was really good, even if the premise is rather retarded. Go watch it!

Haphazard on
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I feel like the world is about due for a really good, new sci-fi flick.

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I would probably be slightly annoyed at the change, and agree with the people who suggested an editorial footnote. A small change like that isn't going to affect someone's decision on whether or not to start reading manga for the first time in their life. But it sure is going to affect the enjoyment of a manga fan.
    How?

By making the pop-culture references understandable to the target demographic? There aren't many manga fans, translating a cheesy children's story to specifically cater to that group would be a waste of time.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    And if they're reading manga in the first place, they probably have some interest in Japanese culture to begin with.

What's so wrong about having a little faith in the intellectual capacity of your audience? And we wonder why the rest of the world thinks Americans are uncultured myopic buffoons.

Ok, I think I really should go to sleep now.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    And if they're reading manga in the first place, they probably have some interest in Japanese culture to begin with.

What's so wrong about having a little faith in the intellectual capacity of your audience? And we wonder why the rest of the world thinks Americans are uncultured myopic buffoons.

Ok, I think I really should go to sleep now.
    Do you really think that kids reading those stories are interested in looking up who the Britney Spears around the time of the making of that story was? They're interested in a cute little story about the most kawaii cute girl falling in love with the hot Japanese guy.

Good night~

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Aldo wrote: »
    So I would probably be slightly annoyed at the change, and agree with the people who suggested an editorial footnote. A small change like that isn't going to affect someone's decision on whether or not to start reading manga for the first time in their life. But it sure is going to affect the enjoyment of a manga fan.
    How?

By making the pop-culture references understandable to the target demographic? There aren't many manga fans, translating a cheesy children's story to specifically cater to that group would be a waste of time.

No, my point is that there is no positive to be gained by changing it that way. Not that I'm saying the original text is Shakespeare and needs to be considered sacrosanct, but that obliterating references to Japanese culture isn't going to make the product more appealing to a completely uninformed audience. It's like the newspaper analogy, catering to your target audience only works if your target audience is paying attention.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2007

Sure, but imagine dozens of changes like that per book, multiplied by the number of volumes in the series - in this case, something like eight or nine? Every obscure reference, every footnote, every attempt to force Japanophilia down the reader's throat, is a barrier to the enjoyment of the casual readers that the company depends on for its bread and butter. And manga companies do depend on casual readers: kids who just want comics with big eyes like they saw on TV, and who have no particular interest in ever becoming "manga fans", and may not even know what the word "manga" means.

That said, again, I'm willing to accept that the situation is probably different for anime subbers, since with an anime series they're asking people to spend ludicrous amounts of money upfront (like $150 for all of Last Exile, forget that) which means that purchasers are more likely to be passionate enthusiasts. Even so, though, I just want to tell these people that if it matters that much to them, learn Japanese and import the untranslated stuff, as they'll be happier that way.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    How?

Well, for the past few years on every book fair over here, there's bitching about Manga. Because it sells better than any book, apparently.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2007

Yeah, but this happens everywhere, and to American titles too. James Bond is known in Italy as "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang," which I find almost beautiful in its unapologetic simplicity.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    No, my point is that there is no positive to be gained by changing it that way. Not that I'm saying the original text is Shakespeare and needs to be considered sacrosanct, but that obliterating references to Japanese culture isn't going to make the product more appealing to a completely uninformed audience. It's like the newspaper analogy, catering to your target audience only works if your target audience is paying attention.
    idk, it sounds like the translator was translating /for/ young kids, not just for the japanophiles of all ages. It's already hard to make kids read more than they get forced to, I wouldn't want to put all sorts of facts and footnotes in a little comic. :?

Aldo on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007

did sinise bite it on arrival at the planet?

oh god, it probably doesn't even matter. I can't remember what differentiated those two films either.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Isn't Kiss Kiss Bang Bang the title of an American movie? Do you think they stole it from the Italians?

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited November 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The Cat wrote: »

did sinise bite it on arrival at the planet?

oh god, it probably doesn't even matter. I can't remember what differentiated those two films either.

Val Kilmer.

And I had to change the channel. Thank god there seems to be a Halfway Home marathon on Comedy Central. That's easily their best show from the last 3 seasons.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Isn't Kiss Kiss Bang Bang the title of an American movie? Do you think they stole it from the Italians?

Yeah, it's a famous example of funny translation. The critic Pauline Kael titled a book in 1970 after a "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" poster she saw in Rome, and it's been a popular example ever since.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    jacobkosh wrote: »

Yeah, but this happens everywhere, and to American titles too. James Bond is known in Italy as "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang," which I find almost beautiful in its unapologetic simplicity.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is an awesome movie from a few years back, are you sure you aren't confusing titles here?

*edit: lttp

Aldo on
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    American Gangster was so fucking tight.

Sami on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is an awesome movie from a few years back, are you sure you aren't confusing titles here?

This is where the movie got its title from

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007

Nah, they'd be referencing it.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The title is a reference to Pauline Kael's 1968 book, which in turn was named after a translation of an Italian poster of a James Bond movie, which she called "perhaps the briefest statement imaginable of the basic appeal of the movies."[2]

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Sami wrote: »

That is excellent news. Has the album come out yet?

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ok I should probably go to bed befozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Man, last.fm is fantastic, whenever I'm like "damn, nothing on my PC looks like it would be nice to listen to" I just hop on last.fm and let it play music that fits my mood better. In this case: music like Alanis Morisette.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ok I should probably go to bed befozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Yeah, I know talking to me is a horrible temptation, but I don't want to be responsible for you getting into trouble tomorrow.

Well, me and Gary Sinise would share that responsibility, but still.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

That is excellent news. Has the album come out yet?

I don't know, but the soundtrack was amazing. Although(even though it would have been trite and cliched), I'm a little sad that "Pusher Man" was absent from the film.

Sami on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I wanna see American Gangster!

Haphazard on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

seeing it today or tomorrow. can't wait.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What, you guys don't want to see Bee Movie instead?

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Whatever, [chat]ass.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    They've been pushing that so hard.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007

No. But... I will probably see it anyway.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm more interested in P2.

Then again, I am a horror fan first.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I woke up and my bedroom was a million degrees colder than it was when I went to bed.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm more interested in Luc Besson's P2.

What, Luc "this is my last movie, really" Besson has a new one out? Interesting.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Haphazard wrote: »
    I'm more interested in Luc Besson's P2.

What, Luc "this is my last movie, really" Besson has a new one out? Interesting.

I edited my posts as soon as I could. I am getting my French directors mixed up.

I meant to say, Alexandre Aja's P2.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Now I am suprised. :P

Haphazard on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    7:30 AM here, guess that means I should officially go to sleep rather than dozing off in my chair here and there.

wii owners: zack and wiki was more fun than expected. well worth it.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    7:30 AM here, guess that means I should officially go to sleep rather than dozing off in my chair here and there.

Hah. I have done the opposites.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Woohoo, it's Friday...I think.

Dynagrip on
This discussion has been closed.