As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Suggest to me some HD-DVDs to rent! | Tell me about Netflix!

Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED!Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
This is, assuming, Blockbuster rents out HD-DVDs. I assume so!

Anyhow, I just got a new HD player and want to try it out. So if anyone could tell me some good movies that have made the jump to HD, I would love you forever.

Magus` on

• Chief1138Chief1138 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    blockbuster only rents BluRay. If you can find them elsewhere though Transformers is really purty on HDDVD

Chief1138 on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Only BluRay? What the shit.

I'll try Hastings, maybe?

Magus` on
  • JimJimBinksJimJimBinks Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hastings might rent HD-DVD, but I'm not sure. They were talking about not for a while.

Rent Planet Earth on HD-DVD. It's freakin beautiful.

Also, give some thought to a Netflix subscription. They have a huge HD-DVD Library and they've saved me a ton of money.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2007
    Goddamn it, no one in town rents HD-DVD movies. Hastings and BB do Blu-Ray, while Family Video only does vanilla DVD.

So, tell me about Netflix!

Magus` on
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Netflix is fucking awesome.

I don't know what they're HD-DVD/BRD selection is like, but they have a shit-ton of DVD's.

I would go for the 3-at-a-time deal for ~$25/month. Depending on where you live, this'll get you a different movie to watch 4 nights out of the week.

It's also great because they carry TV shows on DVD, so you can pretty much skip cable if you want.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Netflix is fucking awesome.

I don't know what they're HD-DVD/BRD selection is like, but they have a shit-ton of DVD's.

I would go for the 3-at-a-time deal for ~$25/month. Depending on where you live, this'll get you a different movie to watch 4 nights out of the week.

It's also great because they carry TV shows on DVD, so you can pretty much skip cable if you want.
    Agreed. I do a 2-at-a-time for $14. The turnaround time is 2 business days, so if I throw a movie in the mail Tuesday morning I've got the next one by Thursday. Never been longer than 2 days (except Sundays of course).

You should be able to score a 2-week free trial to test it out, and if you're running Windows a download service comes with the membership. From what I can tell it's a bit limited but they have stuff like The Office if you just have an itch for something quick. No Mac support :(

Edit: If you really churn through movies it's a great deal. At one point I did 12 dvds in a month, which is like a $1.15 per dvd.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Here's another vouch for Netflix. No idea where you are, but here in SoCal, I can turn in a movie and get it usually next day, the day after at the latest. I also subscribe to the 3 movies at a time deal. There is also a 2 week free trial going on, so you have nothing to lose.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Netflix is awesome.

Doc on
    edited November 2007
    I live in Missoureh, near dead centre of the US.

Magus` on
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Netflix operates the same as Gamefly, so the closer you are to their distribution center the faster the turnaround is. In Cali it's ~2 business days, in the midwest it can take 3-4.

Still worth it IMO, you save a shitload of money. And you can set up your queue so you can watch all those awesome old movies you never find at Blockbuster.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • jlrxjlrx Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    This is, assuming, Blockbuster rents out HD-DVDs. I assume so!

Anyhow, I just got a new HD player and want to try it out. So if anyone could tell me some good movies that have made the jump to HD, I would love you forever.

Here's hoping it comes out right, and I support blockbuster online overall - I get 3 at a time, unlimited for $17.99 a month , and I can trade em in at the store for more free movies no extra charge and while I have those other movies my new movies are then on the way to me.
    here's my list

OrderMovie TitleYearRatingMPAAFormatAvailabilityShipping estimates are based on current availability of selected titles.

Go to TopDelete

Break set,Transformers [HD].`This set/series was added as a group, which is indicated by a padlock icon. As long as you do not break the set (unlock the padlock), you will receive the titles in order. Please note that if disc one in the set is not available, the others will not be shipped. If you break (unlock) the set, they will not ship as a set and may ship in random order.

Transformers [HD]2007PG13
    Transformers [HD]2007PG13HDLong Wait
    Transformers [HD] - Bonus Disc2007PG13HDLong Wait

300 [HD]2007RHDAvailableMove “300 [HD]” to top of Queue

Fast & The Furious: Tokyo Drift [HD]2006PG13HDAvailableMove “Fast & The Furious: Tokyo Drift [HD]” to top of Queue

Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry [HD]2007PG13HD11/06/2007Move “Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry [HD]” to top of Queue

Carlito's Way [HD]1993RHDAvailableMove “Carlito's Way [HD]” to top of Queue

Carlito's Way: Rise to Power [HD]2005RHDAvailableMove “Carlito's Way: Rise to Power [HD]” to top of Queue

Vampire Hunter D1985DVDShort WaitMove “Vampire Hunter D” to top of Queue

Ocean's Thirteen [HD]2007PG13HD11/13/2007Move “Ocean's Thirteen [HD]” to top of Queue

License To Wed-2007 (HD)2007PG13HDComing SoonMove “License To Wed-2007 (HD)” to top of Queue

Evan Almighty [HD]2007PGHDVery Long WaitMove “Evan Almighty [HD]” to top of Queue

Top Gun [HD]1986PGHDAvailableMove “Top Gun [HD]” to top of Queue

Gods and Generals [HD]2003PG13HDComing SoonMove “Gods and Generals [HD]” to top of Queue

Knocked Up [HD]2007RHDShort WaitMove “Knocked Up [HD]” to top of Queue

Next [HD]2007PG13HDShort WaitMove “Next [HD]” to top of Queue

Wyatt Earp [HD]1994PG13HDComing SoonMove “Wyatt Earp [HD]” to top of Queue

For Love of the Game [HD]1999PG13HDAvailableMove “For Love of the Game [HD]” to top of Queue

Blades of Glory [HD]2007PG13HDAvailableMove “Blades of Glory [HD]” to top of Queue

V for Vendetta [HD]2006RHDAvailableMove “V for Vendetta [HD]” to top of Queue

Mission: Impossible 2 [HD]2000PG13HDAvailableMove “Mission: Impossible 2 [HD]” to top of Queue

Mission: Impossible 3 [HD]2006PG13HDAvailableMove “Mission: Impossible 3 [HD]” to top of Queue

Batman Begins [HD]2005PG13HDAvailableMove “Batman Begins [HD]” to top of Queue

Fast and the Furious [HD]2001PG13HDVery Long WaitMove “Fast and the Furious [HD]” to top of Queue

Lake House [HD]2006PGHDAvailableMove “Lake House [HD]” to top of Queue

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines [HD]2003RHDShort WaitMove “Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines [HD]” to top of Queue

Seabiscuit [HD]2003PG13HDAvailableMove “Seabiscuit [HD]” to top of Queue

Traffic [HD]2000RHDShort WaitMove “Traffic [HD]” to top of Queue

Unleashed [HD]2005RHDShort WaitMove “Unleashed [HD]” to top of Queue

Italian Job [HD]2003PG13HDAvailableMove “Italian Job [HD]” to top of Queue

We Are Marshall [HD]2006PGHDLong WaitMove “We Are Marshall [HD]” to top of Queue

Hurricane [HD]1999RHDAvailableMove “Hurricane [HD]” to top of Queue

Meet the Fockers [HD]2004PG13HDAvailableMove “Meet the Fockers [HD]” to top of Queue

Hot Fuzz [HD]2007RHDAvailableMove “Hot Fuzz [HD]” to top of Queue

Shooter [HD]2007RHDAvailableMove “Shooter [HD]” to top of Queue

In Good Company [HD]2004PG13HDAvailableMove “In Good Company [HD]” to top of Queue

Nutty Professor 2: The Klumps [HD]2000PG13HDAvailableMove “Nutty Professor 2: The Klumps [HD]” to top of Queue

Blood Diamond [HD]2006RHDAvailableMove “Blood Diamond [HD]” to top of Queue

Watcher [HD]2000RHDAvailableMove “Watcher [HD]” to top of Queue

Norbit [HD]2007PG13HDAvailableMove “Norbit [HD]” to top of Queue

Matrix Reloaded [HD]2003RHDAvailableMove “Matrix Reloaded [HD] ” to top of Queue

Matrix Revolutions [HD]2003RHDAvailableMove “Matrix Revolutions [HD]” to top of Queue

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind [HD]2004RHDAvailableMove “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind [HD]” to top of Queue

Nutty Professor [HD]1996PG13HDAvailableMove “Nutty Professor [HD]” to top of Queue

School for Scoundrels [HD]2006PG13HDShort WaitMove “School for Scoundrels [HD]” to top of Queue

Departed [HD]2006RHDAvailableMove “Departed [HD]” to top of Queue

Babel [HD]2006RHDAvailableMove “Babel [HD]” to top of Queue

Lucky Number Slevin [HD]2006RHDShort WaitMove “Lucky Number Slevin [HD]” to top of Queue

Clerks 2 [HD]2006RHDAvailableMove “Clerks 2 [HD]” to top of Queue

World Trade Center [HD]2006PG13HDAvailableMove “World Trade Center [HD]” to top of Queue

Meet the Parents [HD]2000PG13HDAvailableMove “Meet the Parents [HD]” to top of Queue

Accepted [HD]2006PG13HDShort WaitMove “Accepted [HD]” to top of Queue

Nacho Libre [HD]2006PGHDAvailableMove “Nacho Libre [HD]” to top of Queue

Mission: Impossible [HD]1996PG13HDAvailableMove “Mission: Impossible [HD]” to top of Queue

12 Monkeys [HD]1995RHDShort WaitMove “12 Monkeys [HD]” to top of Queue

Break-Up [HD]2006PG13HDAvailableMove “Break-Up [HD]” to top of Queue

2 Fast 2 Furious [HD]2003PG13HDVery Long WaitMove “2 Fast 2 Furious [HD]” to top of Queue

jlrx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]