As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Boondocks] is over, the finale was awful. Sigh.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    And now I want to talk about Soul Plane...

That revolution scene gives me shivers.

Soul Plane II, with Air Marshal 50 Cent?

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    aesiraesir __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Wow. I didnt realize that people existed who enjoyed this piece of trash.

My hatred of the show runs so deep I feel ill when I think about it. Ill with raaaage.

My hatred needs no reason. It is a carnal thing, welling up from deep inside of me. The very core of my being is filled with a fierce desire to never ever ever watch this show again.

aesir on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    aesir wrote: »

My hatred of the show runs so deep I feel ill when I think about it. Ill with raaaage.

My hatred needs no reason. It is a carnal thing, welling up from deep inside of me. The very core of my being is filled with a fierce desire to never ever ever watch this show again.

...Why did you even bother posting this?

This show is wonderful and Return of the King nearly made me cry.

Give MacGruder a chance, season two should pick up soon.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    aesir wrote: »

Luckily, you have the freedom not to watch it, or post to threads about it.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    NexusSix wrote: »
    That being said, yeah, I'm older, but I also love the fact that The Boondocks appeared in my local paper (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette) next to disposable bullshit like Garfield and, more importantly, The Family Circus. Now, indulge me for a moment: yeah, we're talking the comic section here, but just recently--like, within the last 6 months--I specifically remember a Family Circus where one of the kids came home talking about prayer in sphool and "One Nation Under God" and it was obvious the political/religious message Keane was making. :x

My favorite strip ATM: Pearls Before Swine. A lot of people in my community hated the cartoon because it made fun of other cartoons and replaced Kudzu. But I love how the artist doesn't take himself too seriously and pokes fun at the more "established" strips.

Favorite moment: The Pearls gang watching the 75th Blondie anniversary party from across the street because they weren't invited. "They're playing Naked Twister!" "Oh my God! Dilbert is a stud!"

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    They used to run the strip in the comics section in the Dallas paper, but a few people got up in arms, so they moved it over a couple pages to run by Doonesbury and some of the other political cartoons in the opinion section. I haven't seen more than maybe 6ish episodes of the show, but I loved the one with Bob Ross.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Great show. It's just sad that so many of my inner city brethren do not realize that the show is satire.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    yeah, inner city kids don't realize a whole lot. They go to inner city schools.

LRG on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I love the show and when I first started working here at my campus's library, I filled out a "get to know me" sheet with my favorite TV show on it. I put down Boondocks because I had been watching it lately. About a month later, my really old black boss just casually asks me if I watched the last night's episode.

It really caught me off guard, as I previously had no idea my boss could be vulgar, he was like an old Santa clause type.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    KungFu wrote: »
    I love the show and when I first started working here at my campus's library, I filled out a "get to know me" sheet with my favorite TV show on it. I put down Boondocks because I had been watching it lately. About a month later, my really old black boss just casually asks me if I watched the last night's episode.

It really caught me off guard, as I previously had no idea my boss could be vulgar, he was like an old Santa clause type.

:^:

Shogun on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That's like my French teacher in high school. She had a doctorate in Film studies, and the only shows she watched were CNN, the French News, and The Simpsons. Every monday she would ask me if I saw the new episode.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    LRG wrote: »
    yeah, inner city kids don't realize a whole lot. They go to inner city schools.

Luckily, no Child is Left Behind.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    And now I want to talk about Soul Plane...

That revolution scene gives me shivers.

Soul Plane II, with Air Marshal 50 Cent?

La la la I can't hear you la la la la la

TL DR on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    The only episode I've seen this season was the Return of Stinkmeaner.

I was not impressed. Not only did it cheapen the impact of the original Stinkmeaner episode, It really didn't have any good social commentary, nor did I really find it too amusing.

A shame because I thought the first episode ended in a very poignant way. I am hoping I'll like the rest of this season better.

I suppose I get that. Hard to bring back a popular character who
    died at the end of his first episode.

I agree that the first episode with him did have an excellent message, and the second was a little more "fluff," but they don't all have to be serious. I really enjoyed the bit at the end with Stinkmeaner and Ruckus.

Sophmore slump perhaps?

Well the second Stinkmeaner episode had social commentary.
    A "N****** moment" cannot be ended by more violence. More or less, a moment where people get violently stupid is not going to end because you got MORE violent. It only gets better when peace is entered into the equation.
    I never found him that amusing in the first place, honestly.
    His speech to Jasmine about Christmas was...surprisingly heartfelt, considering who was delivering it.
    But Ruckus isn't meant to be a "lovable character". He's meant to be the squeaky-voiced teen or Gil. They just throw him into a job. He just happens to have more jokes to him than just "lol jobs"

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    But Ruckus isn't meant to be a "lovable character". He's meant to be the squeaky-voiced teen or Gil. They just throw him into a job. He just happens to have more jokes to him than just "lol jobs"

I'm so glad someone noticed this besides me.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The thing is that Uncle Ruckus is meant to be the step beyond being an Uncle Tom (and I've heard some commentators use Uncle Ruckus as a more pejorative form of Uncle Tom.) Whereas an Uncle Tom undermines the black community in a passive manner, an Uncle Ruckus is active in his fucking over the community.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Samuel L. Jackson playing a white guy who thinks he's a gangster.

Fucking brilliant.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TankTank Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I really like this show and love the comic. The fact that I can look at the latest episode on Adultswim.com all week long is great.

Tank on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    deowolf wrote: »
    The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

"Say 'WHAT' again!"

The Thugnificent episode is definitely back to form with the commentary.
    "That reading shit is hard, know what I'm sayin'?"

And the background rap,
    "I'm going to stomp you in the nuts."

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I kind of thought the Thugnificent episode was a bit of a retread after the first season's Gangstalicious episode. They even have basically the same name.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I kind of thought the Thugnificent episode was a bit of a retread after the first season's Gangstalicious episode. They even have basically the same name.

Cartoon Network double billed them even!

I dunno, "The Story of Gangstalicious" didn't have a lot of Granddad in it. It was a Riley-centric story. Granddad's direct confrontation with the rappers was what needed to be seen this time around. I'd be okay with Jazmine vs. some rapper, too.

EDIT: In retrospect, the reason Gangstalicious wins out over Thugnificent is because it's probably Riley's best episode.
    Riley: "You dropped the gun? That is so not gangster! You're a fraud!"
    Gangstalicious: "You're a fraud, too!"
    Riley: "I'm EIGHT!"

Riley: "It's like going to heaven, and finding God smoking crack!"

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So is it safe to say that if I like the show I would like the comic strip?

Speaking of comic strips, while the hell didn't Calvin and Hobbes ever get a cartoon. I would have loved that as a kid, hell even now.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Bill Waterson was and still is extremely hostile to the idea of using Calvin and Hobbes to sell products or anything like that, so they'll remain on the pages and in our hearts.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »

No. While I love the show, I find the comic to be rather boring. of course I only started reading it after 2002, which seems to be when it started going downhill.

yakul on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    "And best of all, no fucking Jesse Jackson."

I love you Ronald Reagan.

But seriously, this show is awesome. Chances are if Samuel L. Jackson does something, there is at least some redeeming value to the work.

Just remember: "Ain't nothin' important been typed with somebody's thumbs"

Alecthar on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    N***** technology is anything that doesn't hook up to a printer.

'cause n*****s never got anything to print.

TL DR on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »

Speaking of comic strips, while the hell didn't Calvin and Hobbes ever get a cartoon. I would have loved that as a kid, hell even now.

I absolutely hated the comic strip when it came out, but was won over by the cartoon. The comic strip is on a steady decline since the writer is focused on the cartoon full-time (and the strip has scaled back considerably on the social commentary).

And according to Aintitcool, there were plans for a Calvin and Hobbes movie (whether direct to tv or in theaters, no one knows), with actual voice casting and a few sketches, but nothing ever came out of it. I believe it has to do with the original author's stance against commercializing the series (this is why you never see any merchandise).

I still to this day hope for an animated adaption, but after watching recent abortions like Garfield and the upcoming apocalypse of Alvin and the Chipmunks, I'm not so optimistic about it.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    In the Tenth Anniversary book, Watterson says that he never wanted an actor giving their voice to Calvin, or a stuffed doll manufacturer deciding the nature of Hobbes' existence. When I was a kid I would have loved that sort of thing, but i'm glad he resisted that now.

When The Boondocks was in the paper here, it was right below Mallard Fillmore on Sundays. That was a fun mix.

Aistan on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    No. Even at 26, I still desire a stuffed Hobbes plushie.

I mean, how does this tarnish the series in any way? If he would at least approve that one bit of merchandise, everything would be gravy.

So how did he feel about the Robot Chicken parody?

• Options
    edited November 2007

Not really. One of the major points with the Gangstalicious ep was that the title character was just playing a part - think Tupac. In comparison, they made it pretty clear that Thugnificent was, in fact, the real deal. Didn't make him any less annoying, though.

The fact that they broadcast those two eps back to back helps with the comparisons.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Aistan wrote: »
    When The Boondocks was in the paper here, it was right below Mallard Fillmore on Sundays. That was a fun mix.

Wow. That's like sending a toddler to fight Mike Tyson. I still remember how pissed the MF writer got over the parody of his comic in America: The Book (is it bad that I have BOTH versions?)

Speaking of MF, maybe I should dig up his mug shot from The Smoking Gun...

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The main thing about Thugnificent is that they gave him and his crew "savant" moments, to suggest that they might have been respectful folks if they had been born in a better neighborhood. Things like "You read? Word!" and "Dear sir, we would like to have your permission to host parties on occasion."

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Aistan wrote: »

Wow. That's like sending a toddler to fight Mike Tyson. I still remember how pissed the MF writer got over the parody of his comic in America: The Book (is it bad that I have BOTH versions?)

Speaking of MF, maybe I should dig up his mug shot from The Smoking Gun...

...seriously. If I were a conservative, I would be offended by Mallard Fillmore idiotically portraying my ideals. Sometimes I think the cartoonist must be some sort of amateurish Stephen Colbert wannabe in how ham-handed his commentary is.

But yes, in comparison, Thugnificent and Gangstalicious are very different sorts of rap stars, and the sort-of character "assassination" that took place at the end of Gangstalicious's episode made it basically impossible to have him as a recurring character that Riley would worship.

I wished we would have seen Eat Dirt in this episode, though.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I still to this day hope for an animated adaption, but after watching recent abortions like Garfield and the upcoming apocalypse of Alvin and the Chipmunks, I'm not so optimistic about it.

A German student, for his art project, actually animated several Calvin and Hobbes strips, with voices and the like. For a student project, it was made pretty well, and was able to keep the general spirit of the strip.

Of course, it was only on the net for a couple of hours before it got taken down, and never seen again.

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So is Thugnificent going to be a recurring character now? Because he still lives in the neighborhood.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    So is Thugnificent going to be a recurring character now? Because he still lives in the neighborhood.

I don't see why he wouldn't be. The cast does grow as characters are introduced.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    SpeedySwaf wrote: »

A German student, for his art project, actually animated several Calvin and Hobbes strips, with voices and the like. For a student project, it was made pretty well, and was able to keep the general spirit of the strip.

Of course, it was only on the net for a couple of hours before it got taken down, and never seen again.

Man what.

We must make this the mission of all PA members to find and link this work. Nothing ever dissapears completely from the internet.

• Options
    WerewulfyWerewulfy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    http://thatvideosite.com/video/4373

It's not German, but Spanish or Italian or something. I'm really not that sure how I feel about it.

Werewulfy on
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well, what do you know!

http://thatvideosite.com/video/4373

And I was wrong, apparently it was an Italian student who did it.

EDIT: Darn, should have spent more time posting, less time watching.

SpeedySwaf on