As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is now the time to buy an XBox 360?

1235»

• Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just dropped the moneys on an 8800GTS since Assasin's Creed is coming to PC and Gears of War + Sega Rally already has arrived. I'm not aware of any 360 exclusive that I'm interested in right now (the combat turned me away from Mass Effect).

I do want one for the classic Speedball 2 on LIVE, though... but it's not out yet, is it?

However, looking at what the Xbox produced after it had matured (meh stuff) and what the Playstation2 produced after it had matured (god damn amazing GT4, Shadow of the Colossus and God of War 2, which totally look like current gen titles), I'm figuring that the PS3 will overtake the 360 soon in almost every aspect, especially once they unlock the full power of all cores (similar to what they did with the PSP). Western coders had great trouble with the Emotion Engine in the beginning (timing issues with the 10-channel DMAC*) and it seems that western coders are having similar issues with the Cell now. Does anyone else agree with me? And if there are hardcore 360 fanboys around, why do you think MS will reign over Sony once the PS3 matures?

If only GT5 and Little Big Planet were 360 titles... they're pretty big hitters for me... oh, well, money gone now.

* I did a college report on this...

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    robcat09robcat09 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    eobet wrote: »
    I just dropped the moneys on an 8800GTS since Assasin's Creed is coming to PC and Gears of War + Sega Rally already has arrived. I'm not aware of any 360 exclusive that I'm interested in right now (the combat turned me away from Mass Effect).

I do want one for the classic Speedball 2 on LIVE, though... but it's not out yet, is it?

However, looking at what the Xbox produced after it had matured (meh stuff) and what the Playstation2 produced after it had matured (god damn amazing GT4, Shadow of the Colossus and God of War 2, which totally look like current gen titles), I'm figuring that the PS3 will overtake the 360 soon in almost every aspect, especially once they unlock the full power of all cores (similar to what they did with the PSP). Western coders had great trouble with the Emotion Engine in the beginning (timing issues with the 10-channel DMAC*) and it seems that western coders are having similar issues with the Cell now. Does anyone else agree with me? And if there are hardcore 360 fanboys around, why do you think MS will reign over Sony once the PS3 matures?

If only GT5 and Little Big Planet were 360 titles... they're pretty big hitters for me... oh, well, money gone now.

* I did a college report on this...

Right on, dude. I upgraded my PC this weekend to play Bioshock, Gears and Crysis. I've had my PS3 since launch day and I am really proud of that system. I look forward to it maturing year after year. I really look forward to seeing what Team Ico is working on, as well as Sucker Punch and future games from Insomniac and Naughty Dog (and David Jaffe even). Great development studios that are exclusive to Sony that I really grew attached to during the PS2 life cycle. I don't see the 360 having that much staying power in the long run. Anyway, having an up-to-date PC really makes a 360 redundant in my opinion. Add all of the problems to it and it becomes downright unsavory (loudness, big power brick, RROD, Live fee, no standard HD format, no standard HDD...) Is now the time to buy a 360? Hell, it will NEVER be a good time to buy one of those things. But that's just me.

I think MS had a year head start and a lower price point at start, but the 'console war' lasts longer than a year or two, and the PS3 is future proof enough to outlast all of the competition.

What specifically was your report about? I remember back in the day I did a Master's project on the use of 3D positional audio using only 2 speakers in Jedi Knight. ;-)

robcat09 on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    robcat09 wrote: »
    I've had my PS3 since launch day and I am really proud of that system. I look forward to it maturing year after year.
    Teach it the values of honesty and hard work. You'll stay proud.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think MS had a year head start and a lower price point at start, but the 'console war' lasts longer than a year or two, and the PS3 is future proof enough to outlast all of the competition.

That's never actually happened before, ever, in the history of game consoles.

Sony is going to make a sequel console around the same time everyone else does.

(and what's the big deal with GT5, anyway? Gameplay-wise, the series still isn't catching up to Forza. Is it just the graphics that people are excited over? I mean, don't get me wrong, they're some good fucking graphics, but what else is the big deal?)

Daedalus on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »
    (and what's the big deal with GT5, anyway? Gameplay-wise, the series still isn't catching up to Forza. Is it just the graphics that people are excited over? I mean, don't get me wrong, they're some good fucking graphics, but what else is the big deal?)

That's a completely different thread of worms, but the basic answer is obviously you haven't played much of the GT series if you think that it "isn't catching up to Forza" in terms of gameplay.

Also, jerryseinfeld.jpg

One thing that I do wish that Microsoft emulated is the PS3's relatively rapid feature updates in comparison to the 360's. It seems like every month or two the PS3 has a firmware update that includes new features or fixes, whereas with the 360 there are only four major updates per year. It would be nice if it was a bit more staggered, I think.

Einhander on