As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vocaloids! Singing computers!

halkunhalkun Registered User regular
Ok, most likely you have never heard of this interesting little piece of technology from Yamaha, so I'd thought that I'd introduce you.

4511820072413.jpg

A vocaloid is a text-to-speech voice synthesis program with one major difference, it sings. As opposed to writing out text and have the computer repeat back what you wrote, this program takes both text and a melody, and the computer sings back what you have created. The results can be absolutely astonishing and sometimes indistinguishable from a human.

The box above is Miku Hatsune (初音ミク) and she the first release of the second generation technology. (There are going to be three new Vocaloids that use version 2). She has quite a cult following in Japan.

So what does a vocaloid sound like?

Well, Japanese first of all. The language has almost a 1:1 representation between their phonetic alphabet (kana) and the sounds the letters make. (As opposed to English, where our alphabet is understaffed). So it transcribes Japanese out of the box. English, not so much. There is an English version of the Vocaloids, which I will get to later.

To give an example of what they sound like, here is the opera scene from Final Fantasy 6, re-done with a vocaloid singing. In this case, it's a first generation vocaloid named Meiko.

Another example of Meko, (and the interface to the Vocaloid system), can be seen and heard here.

The vocaloid system isn't without a bit of controversy. JASRAC, (The Japanese equivalent of the RIAA, but much more corrupt) is having kittens over this. There was a stint where Google was found censoring the technology from the web searches. This rather weird turn of events was never really explained by Google Japan, it it happened right after a TV show tried to show the Vocaloid technology in a very bad light, and showing the users as nothing but talentless pirates "copying" music. Irregardless (yes, that's a word), Miku here has been the #1 best selling software package in Japan.

Now, you can, with a lot of work, have Vocaloids sing in English. An example of Miku singing the ending theme to Portal (Still Alive) can be heard here which is filled with awesome and win.

The actual English vocaloid, named "Sweet Ann" can be seen here singing Crazy and Making Whoopee. It's cute, but seems to be missing the "fun" of the original Japanese vocaloids.

The program's about $150, which is dirt cheap for what it does. I can easily see this as costing upwardly for a grand or more.

I'd thought I would just share this with you guys.

halkun on

• Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    These are awesome, amazing, and now I want one.

Damn you.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wow. Just...wow.

This is so Japanese it almost hurts.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    tachyontachyon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dee Kae wrote: »
    These are awesome, amazing, and now I want one.

Damn you.

For some reason I see Apple ripping this into their next iteration of 'garage band'. Although, that may not be such a bad thing. The Japanese is definitely more fluid sounding then the english vids, but I think that may 50% due to the skill of the composer

tachyon on
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I would be an engilsh one if they were any good.

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Neaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

TM2 Rampage on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Chorazin wrote: »
    Wow. Just...wow.

This is so Japanese it almost hurts.

Lol.

So Japanese.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is pretty incredible.

I just found 'Fly Me To The Moon' on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bze1ZczI-0&feature=PlayList&p=6FC8994FE049A525&index=4

It's.. I mean.. Well, it would be awesome if it could handle English better, but it sounds pretty true to a japanese individual with a rough handle on english phonetics giving the song a go. I'm relatively impressed.

Ein on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I need one of these and a copy of FL Studio. I've been meaning to get into electronic music for ages. I got a copy of Dance eJay 6 in a magazine and have been playing around with that.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2007
    It's very good. I can't wait until this kind of thing can be made from scratch without a voice sample to work from.

Tube on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Anyone with Mac OS X, the Developer tools come with a little (and little known) tool called "Repeat After Me." By all means, it's not as fleshed out or cool as this, nor is it geared towards making music, but it uses the system TTS engine, a section of text you give it, and optionally an audio file to match timing and pitch. First it breaks the text into a sort of phoneme code. Then it builds a graph of the duration and pitch of each sound over time. It's pretty neat. A while ago, I had it singing Styx.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I, for one, am totally surprised that it was Halkun who posted this thread*.

Vocaloid is nifty, but unfortunately the current releases are limited to the phonetics found in Japanese only. Even the most careful tuning leaves a heavy accent over any non-Japanese song. Also it's always bugged me that the Ievan Polkka one is just a loop of nonsense rather than the real song.

*Not really

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I heard the Portal Song "Still Alive" done by this thing. It was pretty humorous, although I can't recall the location of the file.

They're pretty neat.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I heard the Portal Song "Still Alive" done by this thing. It was pretty humorous, although I can't recall the location of the file.

They're pretty neat.

There's a link to it in the OP, if you're interested.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I found the opening of this particularly entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei04JiJ1F0A

This one, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxJQRMqVB8Q

There're some pieces I've found that contain really nice, natural sounding parts. It's kind've hard to tell what's an actual limitation of the program and what just stems from lack of effort. It would definitely be entertaining to tinker around with.

And they certainly hit the marketing dead on.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I've been playing around with "Repeat After Me" and Garage Band. I think I've gotten a much firmer grip on both programs, as the output is not nearly as awful as the last time with Styx.

This is a sample of my computer singing Green Day. Sorry non-Green Day fans. When I finish, I'll post the whole thing (and possibly change the background to a midi because I'm pretty sure that more than a clip like this and I'm pushing the limits of fair use or whatever stops people from doing cool stuff with copyrighted material.

http://zacks.selfip.net/Boulevard%20By%20Fred%20(Sample).mp3

So yeah, singing computer not in Engrish.

Edit: By the way, my workflow on this one involved no guiding voice samples. I took the vocals track out of a midi, set it to flute, and imported that as a guide sound file, then hand-tweaked it. The results were better and cleaner and I didn't have to look like a dork, singing into my computer. Also of note: all the software used came free with my computer.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've been playing around with "Repeat After Me" and Garage Band. I think I've gotten a much firmer grip on both programs, as the output is not nearly as awful as the last time with Styx.

This is a sample of my computer singing Green Day. Sorry non-Green Day fans. When I finish, I'll post the whole thing (and possibly change the background to a midi because I'm pretty sure that more than a clip like this and I'm pushing the limits of fair use or whatever stops people from doing cool stuff with copyrighted material.

Edit: By the way, my workflow on this one involved no guiding voice samples. I took the vocals track out of a midi, set it to flute, and imported that as a guide sound file, then hand-tweaked it. The results were better and cleaner and I didn't have to look like a dork, singing into my computer. Also of note: all the software used came free with my computer.

That (and "Fly me to the moon" above) are beyond awesome
    Can you do it again with Alex*? Would possibly sound better.

*Assuming you have Leopard

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »

That (and "Fly me to the moon" above) are beyond awesome
    Can you do it again with Alex*? Would possibly sound better.

*Assuming you have Leopard

I do have Leopard. I sounds simply awful with Alex. Alex is a voice meant to set its own pace and intonation.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited November 2007
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG_kz6Sp500

Oh hell. Oh christ.

Leekspin vocaloid.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    http://zacks.selfip.net/Boulevard.zip

Done. :P

Still a bit rough in parts but I like it.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    halkun on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Cosplayer

vocal_2.jpg

halkun on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Repeat by me... the computer seems to not be able to hit as high notes as billie joe. There's something terribly wrong with that :P

Also, vocaloid looks like a really awesome program... watching a video, I saw how pitch worked, cresendo/decresendo worked, etc etc, it was really interesting. I might give it a whirl sometime.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    halkun wrote: »
    Cosplayer
    vocal_2.jpg

Yes. I would. Sir.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    edited November 2007
    Raslin wrote: »
    Repeat by me... the computer seems to not be able to hit as high notes as billie joe. There's something terribly wrong with that :P

Er, he should be hitting the same notes. Maybe it's the shallow sound of the synthesizer throwing you off.
    phonemes.jpg

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I dunno, its the "Till then, I Walk alone". It just sounds like he's not hitting the note as high as he should, but I'm probably wrong.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118