As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Top Gear

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    Bearcat wrote: »
    GungHo wrote: »
    Zwa wrote: »
    Top Gear is incredibly anti-American. Not just their cars, but pretty much everything about them. Its in line with how most of the UK thinks but you couldn't really get away with it to "normal" Americans
    I know. I love it. They're not terribly mean about it, they're just... poking at us. There's nothing wrong with being picked on a little in good spirit. I don't get why people can get all pissy about it, especially at the national level. It's not like Jeremy Clarkson is coming over to your house and sticking his giant head in your freezer for a couple of hours or pissing on the toilet seat.

After having just watched the American Holiday episode, they pretty much picked the worst place to go, less Compton, for a pleasant experience. The America bashing was pretty intense, but I can overlook it.
    Well yes, they picked the South because it would lead to more horrible situations, but I think they were honestly amazed when they entered New Orleans.

So was I. :oops:

Miami and N'O were pretty much the worse places as an example of America, though. I hope they've seen Alton B's Feasting on Asphalt series to give Brits a better sampling.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i don't see how any self respecting car show can avoid being anti-american. Considering the vast majority of our automaking philosophy involves putting obscene amounts of power being ancient chassis and suspension designs and one of our major makers still prides itself on using a dependent rear wheel suspension. Thats kinda why we're the laughingstock of the worldwide performance vehicle community.

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    ZwaZwa Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The reasonably priced car is Chevrolet however... so they don't think all US cars are awful. Unless they picked it because it is...

Zwa on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The reasonably priced car is Chevrolet however... so they don't think all US cars are awful. Unless they picked it because it is...
    Well, it's reasonably priced. It's like the most average car you can think of.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    i don't see how any self respecting car show can avoid being anti-american. Considering the vast majority of our automaking philosophy involves putting obscene amounts of power being ancient chassis and suspension designs and one of our major makers still prides itself on using a dependent rear wheel suspension. Thats kinda why we're the laughingstock of the worldwide performance vehicle community.

I love when Hammond argues about this very fact with Jeremy, with Hammond's "it's a stupid design in a good way" view of the muscle car

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I don't think the average American needs a European sport-tuned suspension.
    I do think, however, that when we want to build a car capable of besting a Ferrari in a race such as Le Mans, we can do it fairly easily.

Bearcat on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

It's gonna be an Aveo. It's the only way.

enc0re on
  • Options
    PlutocracyPlutocracy regular
    edited July 2008

I don't think the average American needs a European sport-tuned suspension.
    I do think, however, that when we want to build a car capable of besting a Ferrari in a race such as Le Mans, we can do it fairly easily.

It's not an issue of whether US companies can build a car which can win Le Mans.
    It's an issue of whether the major American car manufacturers are willing to build cars for public use that can generally compete in terms of overall quality with those made in Europe or even outside of Europe such as in Japan. Ford is the only one who regularly produces good cars.

Plutocracy on
    They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
    They may not mean to, but they do.
    They fill you with the faults they had
    And add some extra, just for you.
  • Options
    ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My god, when they got attacked by rednecks at that gas station I was just mortified...

Of course they chose the worst possible location to pull that kind of stuff. They would've had a fantastic time had they gone to Colorado or California. Then again, that's probably WHY they chose not to.

Shinyo on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    is season 11 out yet?

the north pole race was awesome

Barcardi on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It started two weeks ago. The first episode was ok, last week's was fantastic, although it had no cocking about so some people may not like it.

Oh, and you guys that watch it on BBC America, isn't it pretty heavily edited? I heard they cut out the news or something.

Fats on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    youtube

unless that got sued into oblivion today as well

Barcardi on
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fats wrote: »
    It started two weeks ago. The first episode was ok, last week's was fantastic, although it had no cocking about so some people may not like it.

Oh, and you guys that watch it on BBC America, isn't it pretty heavily edited? I heard they cut out the news or something.

I'm not sure of the extent of the editing, I watched em all via the interwebs but the handful I've caught are censored for language (obviously, brits with their filthy mouths and whatnot). Though I wouldn't doubt it, do UK shows have a longer runtime by any chance? cause if it's more than 44 minutes per hour-long show over there I'd suspect they removed something to cram in more ads

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, it goes the whole hour. I guess there are usually some slow bits that would be easy to cut (like the star in the reasonably priced car).

Looks like it's still on Youtube, Barcardi, I even found the season 11 episodes.

Fats on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008

Rebadged Daewoo. Like when Chevrolet bought the Matiz.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Fleck0 wrote: »

I'm not sure of the extent of the editing, I watched em all via the interwebs but the handful I've caught are censored for language (obviously, brits with their filthy mouths and whatnot). Though I wouldn't doubt it, do UK shows have a longer runtime by any chance? cause if it's more than 44 minutes per hour-long show over there I'd suspect they removed something to cram in more ads

It's a BBC show so the whole runtime, give or take a minute or so, is effectively 60 minutes long. I can only guess at the amount of editing they have to do to squeeze in American adverts.

--

I don't know if only people from the UK can watch it but they always have the latest Top Gear episode on the BBC's iPlayer site for a week.

Plutocracy on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The beeb does not like foreigners, last time I checked the blocked anyone from outside the islands.

Aldo on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The beeb is paid for by British taxes, last time I checked the blocked anyone from outside the islands.

I know you were being facetious, but let's be fair.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    SquirrelmobSquirrelmob Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I think that British Chevy and US Chevy produce their own/different cars. I could be wrong though.

But I'm pretty sure that is the case with Ford, because the Ford's they review don't suck, and as a owner of a US ford POS, I can tell you that US Fords really are abominations.

Squirrelmob on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Adrien wrote: »
    The beeb is paid for by British taxes, last time I checked the blocked anyone from outside the islands.

I know you were being facetious, but let's be fair.

Could you see if http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl is available for you? It's a website that allows you to watch everything from the Dutch public channels and I'm not quite sure they have the same protection as the BBC.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Well I can view it's videos here from the UK so I guess not, although it does have adverts at the side on the website so presumably that factors into it.

Plutocracy on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    yeah, we have commercial breaks between shows, but not during show. I suppose that gives them some money to play around with.

Still, you get to watch our awesome television, now I want to watch yours as well, darn it!

Aldo on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    After having just watched the American Holiday episode, they pretty much picked the worst place to go, less Compton, for a pleasant experience. The America bashing was pretty intense, but I can overlook it.
    Well yes, they picked the South because it would lead to more horrible situations, but I think they were honestly amazed when they entered New Orleans.
    Hey, maybe our team could return the favor and go to Birmingham.

GungHo on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    GungHo wrote: »
    Hey, maybe our team could return the favor and go to Birmingham.

Hardly Compton. They'd be better off going to Brixton in London, but I doubt they'd be alive for very long. Not that Birmingham is perfect... :D

Also, this week's was hilarious. Sneaking into the concourse event.. genius.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

It's not a Chevrolet, it's a Daewoo. The fact that it's a Daewoo and the use of the phrase "reasonably priced" is a joke about the kind of person who would willingly buy/drive it that I'm honestly not sure I'm able to explain.

japan on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, when they pull a prank on one of the presenters during a challenge (like the cheese in the latest episode) when does that person find out?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    With Top Gear US and Australia starting soon, I am wondering if they'll have some large mid-season cross over challenge with all three teams?

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    plufim wrote: »
    With Top Gear US and Australia starting soon, I am wondering if they'll have some large mid-season cross over challenge with all three teams?

they'll probably wait to make sure that the spin-off series aren't stillborn.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

Yeah.... with the Australian one, I'm somewhat confident because they went with relatively unknown people - it seems car knowledge and personality was more important than getting a B list celebrity.

The only one I had heard of before was Warren Brown, who has a great sense of humour (he's a political cartoonist) and is really big into car history. He did a recreation of the historic 1907 peking to paris race, using cars from that era. It was quite an entertaining show. Also, Warren owns a tank. Which is awesome.

edit: it's certainly worth watching that peking to paris show if only for the cars. Cars from that era just had a certain.. elegance and simplicity.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Quite an episode tonight.

kamikaze.png

Fats on
  • Options
    dr0neboydr0neboy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Quite an episode tonight.

kamikaze.png

L to the O to the L!

dr0neboy on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    On the trip around america, the redneck runin and such, what did james do with the cadillac in the end?

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    LavenlianLavenlian Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It was quite and enjoyable episode. I liked the way Jeremy "argued" in favor of the automobile (Alfa) as art. I also thought Jeremy would actually
    lose this one (because he's not a big GT-R fan).

Lavenlian on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Yeah.... with the Australian one, I'm somewhat confident because they went with relatively unknown people - it seems car knowledge and personality was more important than getting a B list celebrity.

I think the B list celeb you're referring to here is Adam Carolla, yes? He's kind of a car nut. So... I don't think that wasn't important to them.

Or I completely misunderstood your post, which is very possible. :)

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I think the B list celeb you're referring to here is Adam Carolla, yes? He's kind of a car nut. So... I don't think that wasn't important to them.

Yeah, Adam Carolla is a pretty big gear head.
    I think he's got plenty of exotic cars as well.

Bearcat on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    On the trip around america, the redneck runin and such, what did james do with the cadillac in the end?

No-one would take his car unlike the other two and he couldn't get it started. They joked that they left it there but who knows.

Plutocracy on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I want to see the pictures that Jeremy has been finding on the internet every week.

Brolo on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Rolo wrote: »
    I want to see the pictures that Jeremy has been finding on the internet every week.

<3 I thought I was the only one. Methinks the old man just discovered goatse for the first time.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I think the B list celeb you're referring to here is Adam Carolla, yes? He's kind of a car nut. So... I don't think that wasn't important to them. My concern was they'd go for celebrities people would know in an attempt to get interest in the series rather than anyone who knows what they're talking about. Sure, they have researchers, but part of what makes the BBC version work is that the presenters clearly know what they're talking about.

Oh no, I was more saying that I feared they would go with B listers. Didn't realise Adam Carolla was one - but good to know his car knowledge is up there.

I am somewhat confident in the new series. At least the US one anwyay, as they'll have the budget to do all sorts of crazy stunts. Not sure the Australian one will have the same luxury :P
    Decius wrote: »

<3 I thought I was the only one. Methinks the old man just discovered goatse for the first time.

He probably just trawls /b/ for 5 minutes to find the worst thing he can.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

I think the B list celeb you're referring to here is Adam Carolla, yes? He's kind of a car nut. So... I don't think that wasn't important to them. My concern was they'd go for celebrities people would know in an attempt to get interest in the series rather than anyone who knows what they're talking about. Sure, they have researchers, but part of what makes the BBC version work is that the presenters clearly know what they're talking about.

Oh no, I was more saying that I feared they would go with B listers. Didn't realise Adam Carolla was one - but good to know his car knowledge is up there.

I am somewhat confident in the new series. At least the US one anwyay, as they'll have the budget to do all sorts of crazy stunts. Not sure the Australian one will have the same luxury :P
    Decius wrote: »

He probably just trawls /b/ for 5 minutes to find the worst thing he can.

I'm trying to imagine Clarkson on 4chan, and my mind is melting.

Brolo on
This discussion has been closed.