As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wife wants an SLR. Need sugestions.

JimJimBinksJimJimBinks Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
My wife wants a Digital SLR Camera for Christmas.

She takes a crapload of pictures and we currently have a $150 Kodak Easyshare that we share between the two of us. The Easyshare sucks.

What's important to my wife is really good image quality, and next to no shutter lag. Before we had the Easyshare shutter lag was a big problem 'cause we had a Sony Mavica (The kind that wrote pics directly to CD's) With the easyshare, there's a lot of blurring when any movement is involved at all.

The problem is, neither of us really know how to use much beyond the normal point and shoot camera.

Basically I guess what I'm looking for is a really good "Transition" camera to go from the point and shoots we're used to using, to an SLR.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Also, where's a good place to buy? We've bought all our cameras from Best Buy because of their service plan.

Edit: Price range is hopefully under $700

steam_sig.png
JimJimBinks on

• Options
    BeazleBeazle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Get a Canon or Nikon mid-range dSLR ($750-$1000). They are both good brands and their cameras in this range are pretty good. Picture quality is pretty even between the two. Go to the store and see how they feel in your hand. My wife has the Canon Digital Rebel (4yrs old or so) and loves it.

Canon EOS Rebel XTi Black 10.1 MP Digital Camera

or

Nikon D80 Black 10.2 MP Digital Camera

Beazle on
  • Options
    TrippyDKTrippyDK Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A price range is essential in this kind of thread.

TrippyDK on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Added a price range to the OP. Hopefully under $700
    Beazle, is there a huge difference between the EOS Rebel XTi and the XT? The XT is more in the price range I can pay at the moment.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    they're almost identical, the XTi is a slightly newer version, you get 2 more MegaPixels, a slightly larger LCD, and twice the frame buffer (twice as many shots in burst mode before you get the long wait as they are copied to the memory card).

the additonal features don't justify you having to move out of your price range.

Djeet on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ANY dSLR will fit your criteria, thankfully. They all take very good pictures w/ low noise and have no shutter lag. They do this by assuming the way you see the shot is how you want your picture. That means that your wife will probably have some shots that are too dark, overexposed, or blurry. But it also means she can quickly learn how to do it right.

In other words, it's OK to get started on a cheaper camera like the XT because you'll be adding lenses over time anyway, and those are usually forward compatible.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    blincolnblincoln Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, just make sure you like the selection of lenses for the manufacturer that you end up buying. E.g. if you like the lens selection for Nikon DSLRs, don't get a Canon now, because the lenses are not compatible between them. You can get adapters, but for any modern lens with electronics an adapter is going to be painfully expensive in my experience.

blincoln on
    Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
    http://www.thelostworlds.net/
  • Options
    spacerobotspacerobot Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I bought a canon XT this summer as my first SLR, and I love it. Although I kind of wish I bought it without a lens and spend that money I would have saved on a nicer non-kit lens.

spacerobot on
    test.jpg
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It'll be difficult getting a decent camera and lense for under $700. The kit lenses included with most lower-end SLRs are generally not so hot, but for now the kit lense will do until you come into a bit more money. Comparing the XT and the XTi: The XTi has a slightly higher MP count, dust reduction technology, better AF (2 extra points), better image parameter fiddling (+4/-4 on things like saturation, contrast, sharpness in the camera itself), and double the resolution on the LCD monitor. The higher MP count only matters if your wife wants to do gigantic prints of her photos. Once you hit 8MP, it'll look the same until you blow it up to poster size. The dust reduction tech is handy and will mean you will have to get the XT professionally cleaned more often, but it's not that big of a deal. The 2 extra points of AF shouldn't make that much of a difference, and similarly with the image parameter setting. The higher resolution LCD would be nice, but if you can't afford the XTi the XT is not that much of a step down. Here are the links to the main reviews I used in compiling this info: Canon XT and Canon XTi.

Coming to you point about shooting speed: this is a good time to mention memory cards. The XT is very fast to start up and shows virtually no shutter lag with a decent memory card. You want a really fast memory card. The write speed of your memory card will be just as much of a bottleneck as the actual operation speed of your camera - and once you have even a low end modern SLR the memory card will probably become your primary bottleneck. The size of the memory card also becomes more of an issue as you go into these higher resolution cameras - the 1GB card that went on forever with a 2MP Kodak shooting JPEGS might only hold 350 RAW photos at full resolution.

Keep in mind that anyone who has a DSLR should have a good tripod to shoot off of. You may want to factor a decent tripod (~$100, unless you like pawn shops) into your budget. A good bag and a lense cleaning kit is also a necessity to keep your camera in good repair.

And a final point about these cameras: Don't buy either one without having your wife hold it first. SLRs vary widely in sizes and not all hands fit them comfortably. Your wife should give a couple cameras a hold before you decide on the one you want, as this is not a particularly small investment.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The Nikon D70 is pretty awesome. You should easily be able to find it under 700. One of my friends has one adn it's wonderful.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Damn you guys are helpful. I'm gonna take a look at the Digital Rebel XT and the D70 over the weekend. I still have a while before Christmas.

Dark Moon, you had a very good point about having my wife hold it first. At first I thought about giving her a gift card so she could choose the camera she wanted herself, I just liked the idea of her finding the full camera under the tree. Not just an envelope with a card in it.
    Then again, I guess that's what return policies are for.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have a Nikon D50, and it is perfecto, but I guess that got replaced by the D40x or the D80.... but seriously, I loves it. B&H Photo and video is a really good store. D70 is a lot older than the D40x and D80 though, I believe...

I haven't checked up on the kit lenses that come with those, but you could always get the body alone with a different lens... for example, I bought the D50 body alone with the D70s' kit lens, because it was overall a better lens, and the price different wasn't too much.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The D70 is what I use. They are very cheap on the secondhand market now because the D80 was released recently. I imagine camera stores will have new ones discounted for the same reason.

blincoln on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Damn you guys are helpful. I'm gonna take a look at the Digital Rebel XT and the D70 over the weekend. I still have a while before Christmas.

Dark Moon, you had a very good point about having my wife hold it first. At first I thought about giving her a gift card so she could choose the camera she wanted herself, I just liked the idea of her finding the full camera under the tree. Not just an envelope with a card in it.
    Then again, I guess that's what return policies are for.

My advice - Have your wife look at the different cameras at Bestbuy or whatever store has them near you and get her opinion on which one she likes then buy it online from B&H or Adorama. You can save a lot of money over retail if you buy online.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I use the Canon EOS Rebel XT at work and it covers all of the bases pretty well. The Image Stabilizing lens is pretty nifty and the features are solid.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    TrippyDKTrippyDK Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I use the D40x and absolutely love it. My only really complaint is as you become a better photographer, you rapidly learn that your outgrowing the kit lens' quality, and man, glass aint cheap.

TrippyDK on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm looking to get one for myself soon - I've been recommended Canon by most people. In terms of cost vs quality - its supposed to be the way to go.

I think we have slightly different names in the UK, but I'm currently trying to decide between the new 400D, or a slightly more expensive - but the next step up (albeit older), the 30D...

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TashTash Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I personally just bought a Nikon D40 and love it myself.

The best thing to do is have your wife try them out. That's what made up my mine between the Rebel and the D40.

Also, Canon uses the larger memory cards while Nikon uses the SD cards, which is also a big reason why I chose a Nikon because I had so many of them already.

Tash on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Tash wrote: »
    Also, Canon uses the larger memory cards while Nikon uses the SD cards, which is also a big reason why I chose a Nikon because I had so many of them already.

They do? My D70 uses CF cards. I was under the impression that most DSLRs still did because professional photographers tend to have a lot of them.

blincoln on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    this is less of a recommendation and more of a caveat emptor: if a deal sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

there are a lot of shady camera dealers (who seem to mainly operate out of Brooklyn, New York) that offer deals on SLRs and similar equipment at what seem like impossible prices. that's because they are impossible prices. at best, you're buying gray market items with questionable warranties and support. at worst, you will be subject to bait-and-switch tactics and high-pressure upselling on wholly unneeded accessories.

this link is a pretty good guide to these types of stores (and is an amusing read as well). no matter what camera you decide to buy, stay on your toes about where and from whom you are buying your equipment.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    blincoln wrote: »
    Tash wrote: »

They do? My D70 uses CF cards. I was under the impression that most DSLRs still did because professional photographers tend to have a lot of them.

I'm almost positive the D70 was the last Nikon to use CompactFlash.

Your wife needs to examine the DSLRs in person to determine which is most comfortable for her to shoot with. The Rebel is a good camera but it's really small and cramped (for my hands), it's a decision she needs to make.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    tofu wrote: »
    I'm almost positive the D70 was the last Nikon to use CompactFlash.

Looks like the D70, D70s, and D200 were the last ones, yeah. Good thing I'm planning on using mine for awhile, I guess.

blincoln on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hmm, well - I hope this adds to the thread rather than me Hijacking it, but I'm about to purchase and cant make up my mind... So far, the runners up are:

Canon 'Rebel' (aka 400D) - pretty much the standard by which others are compared against...
    Canon 30D - So, its older, but the next model up from the Rebel - metal case, larger grip etc. Advanced features, spot metering etc
    Nikon D40X - (X = 10.2 megapix) comparable to the Rebel, faster/startup times shutter times - more ergonomic and comfortable? Rebel may have the edge on extreme examination of the pics.
    Nikon D80 - Like the Canon 30D, the next Model up from the newer DNikon D40X, again - the same pro's/cons over the rebel, though I believe it has more advanced reatures - spot metering etc.

I'm at a real loss. At present, I'm a newbie - but its something I really want to get into. Many of the advanced differences might be pretty academic for me at the moment, but ergonomics could be a factor. The real catalyst is that I have a Trip to Egypt coming up and when I cruise down the Nile, I really want a good Camera to play with...

My fiance has about £300 worth of vouchers to spend on this, so I'm lucky enough to not worry too much about price differences. Any advanced users that would care to make a suggestion?

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fallingman wrote: »
    I'm looking to get one for myself soon - I've been recommended Canon by most people. In terms of cost vs quality - its supposed to be the way to go.

I have a Canon 10D, but when I bought it I had no lens system investment, nor access to friends with lenses I might borrow. If I had access to Nikon lenses at the time, I would've bought Nikon. Now I have several canon lenses, so if I were to upgrade I would definitely go canon. In the end both companies put out comparable bodies/lenses at comparable price points (maybe one guy will come to market a few months before the other).

The "pro" versions (e.g. 5D, 10D, 20D, 30D) usually have a nicer, but heavier feel than the "consumer" versions (Rebel line). but you tend to get more features per buck if you go consumer line. also the pro versions tend to use prisms for the viewfinder, and the consumer versions use mirrors. prisms seem to gather more light and so you get a slightly brighter image through the viewfinder. i found looking through the VF of the Rebel/300D noticeably more fatiguing than the 10D. if you're sitting on the fence, wait, in 6 months to a year something will come out at the same price point but with more features.

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Well.... shit.

I took my wife to Best Buy. She liked the Canon EOS Rebel XT. But she didn't want me to spend more than $500, so I decided I'd get it on Ebay.

I found one on Ebay, very rarely used, with lense, and even the vertical grip that holds two batteries. I won it for $415

I didn't realize that the Canon EOS Digital Rebel (Not the XT) would show up when I searched for Rebel XT. It didn't even click. I didn't realize that I'd accidently bought the Digital Rebel until the camera actually arrived at my house. Hell, I didn't even really know of the existence of a Digital Rebel until it arrived.

I... am a fucking idiot.
    Any suggestions?
    I think my best option here is to put the camera right back up on Ebay.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Silly you. You could even get the rebel xt new with kit lens for ~480 or less online.

I dunno what to do about that one you got though.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So long as everything works, it is a fine camera. You probably won't notice the 2mp difference unless you go pixel peeping. The lenses are transferable to newer models, and keep their value while they are in good condition. You didn't really lose out here.

stigweard on
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have to say that even with an expensive SLR camera, you can still get blurring and light problems if you DON'T KNOW HOW TO TAKE PROPER PICTURES. Like someone said above, a tripod is a GREAT investment for newbie photogs as it can alleviate some of the motion problems, especially related to time delay shots.

The Digital Rebel is still a fine camera, but you missed out on the chance to get a kit lens. You can still get a lens for the Rebel and maintain your budget though, if you look hard enough.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, that was kind of a bone head move. But, the camera supports the same lens system as the XT and XTi and every other digital SLR Canon makes, so it could be a lot worse. I'd suggest just getting the 50mm f1.8 lens (should be $80-$100 US, or less on eBay) and calling it a day. It's a great lens and a decent DSLR and the whole package comes in at under $500 USD.

And just for reference, a 6.0 MP camera will take 12" x 16" photos when you print at 175 DPI, which incidentally is the best quality you'll be able to get at retail without going to a professional printer (and I mean a real professional printer, consumer oriented camera places that do digital prints won't even offer above 175 DPI prints).

So do you think you'll need to make prints larger than that? I doubt it sincerely. You're rarely even going to want 8"x10" prints, most will be at 5"x7" or 4"x6". So don't get hung up on MP. If the camera works, it's fine. You might not get what you paid when you re-sell the camera, but no one ever really does anyhow.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It has a kit lens
    I found one on Ebay, very rarely used, with lense, and even the vertical grip that holds two batteries. I won it for $415

The grip alone was a nice catch, they are worth ~200$ or so. If I were to get anything for it right now, it'd be some memory cards, image management software (categorize, preview, etc...) and photo editing software like Photoshop, Elements, or the Gimp. It'd be a nice gesture to have it all installed for when she wants to see her results after taking pics of christmas day.

stigweard on
  • Options
    Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    When I read the thread title I thought you meant the car.

A camera is a way more reasonable request.

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    Acolyte57Acolyte57 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I concur that it's not a bad deal, and while you'll probably feel stupid for a while - simply because that's how human minds work - I doubt your wife would really mind it. The 300 is going to be such a huge step up from a point & shoot that it should make her day, and as a beginner she won't notice any difference between the models. Our Canon usergroup at my college has no problems using each other's 300s, 350s or 400s. And the grip is a good bonus. You'll have to see if she likes using it (it's a pretty personal thing) but it's not a bad accessory.

If you were to go for more accessories, I'd definitely go for:
    A good cambag. It's a lot of money you're carrying around, protect it well. And if you can, get a bag that doesn't scream "HOLDING A $500 CAMERA AND POSSIBLY EVEN HUNDREDS MORE WORTH OF LENSES!!!!"

Some fast (preferably big) CFs. Even shooting JPG that card is going to fill up quick. And just wait until she figures out RAW.

A tripod - or maybe a monopod, just for general stabilization with mobility. I love my tripod but I never take it with me, it's way too big. But some of my prettiest pictures were long-exposures and HDRs that were impossible without the thing.

An external flash. The onboard is functional for straight-out party shooting, but if you're going to be doing any more creative shooting in bad lighting you'll want the external flash. I have no complaints about my 430EX Speedlite.

Acolyte57 on
    101 little bugs in the file / 101 little bugs / take one out and recompile / 102 little bugs in the file
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    stigweard wrote: »
    It has a kit lens

The grip alone was a nice catch, they are worth ~200$ or so. If I were to get anything for it right now, it'd be some memory cards, image management software (categorize, preview, etc...) and photo editing software like Photoshop, Elements, or the Gimp. It'd be a nice gesture to have it all installed for when she wants to see her results after taking pics of christmas day.

Actually, Digital Photo Professional (the packaged software that comes with Canon DSLRs) is faster and better than any other company's software when it comes to processing RAW images and the UI is pretty intuitive.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    DrDizaster wrote: »
    It has a kit lens

Actually, Digital Photo Professional (the packaged software that comes with Canon DSLRs) is faster and better than any other company's software when it comes to processing RAW images and the UI is pretty intuitive.

Yep. I have a Rebel XT EOS at work and it's just plain easier to deal with during initial processing of RAW.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Uncle Long wrote: »
    It has a kit lens

Yep. I have a Rebel XT EOS at work and it's just plain easier to deal with during initial processing of RAW.

There's some debate about the degree to which it's true, but a lot of people have observed higher quality images coming out of DPP than Photoshop. And DPP really does about 95% of what you'd want to do with a photo anyhow, so the free solution is really a very good one.

I'd actually go so far as to say that with the accessories and the kit lens this was a pretty good deal. You can always sell that battery grip for a wad of cash that can be allocated towards a new lens.

You do need a CF card (a 2 GB is actually more than enough, especially if you're shooting JPEG), and a camera bag is good. A great example of a good discreet bag is Tamrac's Adventure series:
    http://www.tamrac.com/frame_adv.htm

But if you're going to add a lens, make the first one the Canon 50mm f1.8. It's dirt cheap and you'll use it forever.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I made the assumption that it didn't come with the software cd since it wasn't mentioned. I use a few different pieces of software to try and optimize my work flow for what I am doing.

stigweard on
  • Options
    Acolyte57Acolyte57 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    and a camera bag is good. A great example of a good discreet bag is Tamrac's Adventure series:
    I have a LowePro myself (a slingshot 100, which is a very nice bag for the light traveller), which i adore but the LowePro badge is a dead give-away - they only make cambags (Tamrac IMHO has the same problem).

Crumpler also has some magnificent cambags (http://www.crumplerbags.com/Cart/index.php?catId=22), and used to be quite discreet through obscurity. Not sure if the Crumpler badge is going to be as much of a give-away as the others though, as it's a mainstream brand now and they only make bags for expensive electronic equipment.
    But if you're going to add a lens, make the first one the Canon 50mm f1.8. It's dirt cheap and you'll use it forever.
    Second. I've had so much fun with that lens, and it's dirt cheap. There's no reason not to have it.

Acolyte57 on
    101 little bugs in the file / 101 little bugs / take one out and recompile / 102 little bugs in the file
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Acolyte57 wrote: »
    and a camera bag is good. A great example of a good discreet bag is Tamrac's Adventure series:
    I have a LowePro myself (a slingshot 100, which is a very nice bag for the light traveller), which i adore but the LowePro badge is a dead give-away - they only make cambags (Tamrac IMHO has the same problem).

Crumpler also has some magnificent cambags (http://www.crumplerbags.com/Cart/index.php?catId=22), and used to be quite discreet through obscurity. Not sure if the Crumpler badge is going to be as much of a give-away as the others though, as it's a mainstream brand now and they only make bags for expensive electronic equipment.
    Second. I've had so much fun with that lens, and it's dirt cheap. There's no reason not to have it.

I'll second the suggestion of a LowePro Slingshot 100 - it's a lovely, lovely bag. Though it does give you away as having a camera on you, as long as you have a good hefty tripod you're fairly well protected. I have a Velbon Sherpa 200R that I'm pretty sure I could crack a skull with, even with a short backswing.

Dark Moon on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Well the thing about that Tamrac line of bags is, the only give away is the logo badge. Which is easily removed, and then it looks like you have a cheapo generic backpack. Which is a good look in any case.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Well, the Slingshot line of Lowepro bags aren't that noticeable as camera bags. If one removed/blacked out the Lowepro label, it just looks like any other one-strap backpack.

Dark Moon on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Dark Moon wrote: »
    Well, the Slingshot line of Lowepro bags aren't that noticeable as camera bags. If one removed/blacked out the Lowepro label, it just looks like any other one-strap backpack.

Okay, yeah. I haven't seen one, but that would work too then. The real trick when you're carrying around a few hundred (or a few thousand) dollars worth of camera gear is to look poor. Which shouldn't actually be very difficult if you're into photography as a rule.

Pheezer on