As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

improving PS3 connections for gaming

only1dougonly1doug Registered User regular
i found these threads at the official PS3 forums:

Guide To Opening Ports On Your Router
and
Guide to making your PS3 into a DMZ

which both discuss unblocking incoming ports to the PS3 to bypass the following problems

* not being able to join rooms
* not being able to speak over headset
* not being able to hear over headset
* not being able to join games which are hosted by certain people
* not being able to join games that are no longer in the lobby, but are being played

There are obvious security issues to consider but i am unaware of any viruses currently written to target PS3's (*crosses fingers and prays that he hasn't unleashed an army of hackers into breaking everyones new toys*).

I hope this is of use to some of you

only1doug on

• WhitewolfjmWhitewolfjm Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Great thread, and to add to it I will copy one of my experiences with this system from the EOJ tournament thread:

"BTW. just some more info on the NAT connection issues. When we first tried to connect, both Brand and myself were unable to establish a connection either in EOJ or in chat. We both have TYPE 3 NAT on our network connections.

The solution to our problem was discovered when I found out that my PC and my PS3 had both been assigned the same IP address by my router. By simply turning off my PC we were able to connect with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

My recommendation for anyone with NAT TYPE 3 who is having trouble connection is to simply turn off all other wireless devices. There seems to be an issue with the PS3 where it doesn't play nice with SOHO routers which results in conflicting IP address assignments.

If you have any questions or need help with connection issues, please feel free to PM me and I will see what I can do to help.

Thanks,
    Whitewolfjm"

Whitewolfjm on
    3DS Friend Code: 0275-8881-6723
    3DS Friend Name: Whitewolfjm
    Pokemon Y In-game name: Superman
  • only1dougonly1doug Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    CHA0SiUM wrote: »
    bfiggins wrote: »
    spydey wrote: »
    By the way, I've been having a problem. Whenever the PS3 comes online (not just for EoJ), it kicks everything else in the house offline - just for a second. Then everything can get back online together. Anyone else get that?

Sorry for going a bit off-topic (I know someone posted a link to a PS3 connection thread), but try reserving IP addresses based on MAC addresses for your PS3 and other devices, if you can. I did that last night for our computers, our PSP's, the PS3 and 360 and the printer, and haven't seen any more disconnects / reconnects.

Same, I'm a bit off topic as well, but it's good for everone to see.

On some networks (like mine with my old D-link router), the PS3's Media Center will kill the router by bombing the sh** out of it. Not sure exactly what the reason is, but I switched to a Linksys router, and it's working again. Not that I really use it any ways...

So, if you aren't using it (and you probably aren't) turn off the Media Center option in your PS3's settings.

I thought i'd drag a copy of these comments over here too :)

thanks for the input CHA0SiUM and MonkeyConQueso

edit: another related link, this one by Nekon at the PS3 forums how to change your NAT type thanks for the link MuttonChops

only1doug on