As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

skate 3: witty title under construction

• Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    jammu wrote: »
    I've had low expectations of the TH: ride, but now it's no expectations, thanks to that video.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It basically guarantees the Skate franchise another year of being the best skating game out there.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    It basically guarantees the Skate franchise another year of being the best skating game out there.

I can't see much real competition coming anytime soon, though. Tony Hawk was the king for awhile, then Skate showed up and knocked it on it's ass and everyone is is probably still in the "Daaaaammmn" phase.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Tony Hawk has had time to come up with some competition for Skate.. but it appears they wasted all their time on a stupid peripheral instead of making the game itself fun.

I guess they looked at Guitar Hero and saw dollar signs.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Tony Hawk has had time to come up with some competition for Skate.. but it appears they wasted all their time on a stupid peripheral instead of making the game itself fun.

I guess they looked at Guitar Hero and saw dollar signs.

Exactly. They are going to be reeling hard from this for awhile. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up either changing everything from the ground up, trying to go back to how the early games were, or just said fuck it and let EA win.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is that video for serious? Jeez.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Stolen from the Sales thread, a link to the Top 10 things said while playing TH:R.

Here's a highlight to whet your appetite:
    "Oh god! A bunch of people just died! Whooo, SKATEBOARDING!"

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So they had two or three years to study the Skate games and see what they had been doing wrong, and all they managed to rip off was the shitty camera angle?

Way to go Neversoft!

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I held out hope for Ride being okay but after watching that video it just doesn't look very fun.

lol just read the lastest comic.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That Ride video...

Did..

Did I just see him do a 30 second long, 500+ foot grind, doing multiple flips the whole time, without any kind of loss of momentum?

Is that what I just saw?

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The way the board stays in grinds like it's glued to the ledge makes me throw up in my mouth.

It looks like a 3D Sonic game. All they have to add are some gold rings.

xzzy on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You're right. THPS is the best Sonic game franchise that doesn't feature cutesy animals.

But hey.. I'm so pumped for Skate 3.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've only really ever played skateboarding games in the Tony Hawk series (And I think I played that one game with Bob Burnquist as the headliner) but where do you recommend I jump in with Skate? I've been interested in playing it because I hear it is pretty good and it is more "realistic" than the THPS series, which started to devolve into a game with a crappy story and crappy gameplay (once you could get off the board and were expected to to get places, it became a halfbaked platform-y...thing.)

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'd just start out with Skate 2.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah. Best to get used to getting off the board rather than constantly wondering why it's so broken.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I saw Skate 2 in the bargain rack at Target last night, $20 new. So scout around, probably get it pretty cheap.

xzzy on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've only really ever played skateboarding games in the Tony Hawk series (And I think I played that one game with Bob Burnquist as the headliner) but where do you recommend I jump in with Skate? I've been interested in playing it because I hear it is pretty good and it is more "realistic" than the THPS series, which started to devolve into a game with a crappy story and crappy gameplay (once you could get off the board and were expected to to get places, it became a halfbaked platform-y...thing.)

Grab a demo and give it a shot first. Then stay with it after you initially get frustrated by the controls.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Also Skate 2 is basically just 1 with more stuff and better mechanis, there's really no point to start with 1.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Get Skate and Skate 2, play, and enjoy. They're both fantastic games. They are like grown up versions of THPS3 and 4, which were my favorite games in that franchise.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I saw Skate 2 in the bargain rack at Target last night, $20 new. So scout around, probably get it pretty cheap.

hmmm I need to reacquire Skate 2 again if this is the case. Considering I was an idiot and bought the DLC and didn't even really experience before I sold Skate 2 for beer money or something...

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So for skate 3, are the Lords of Dongtown gonna ride again?

Also, will our name be allowed?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man, we barely rode in skate 2.
    I think I played all of three times online.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, but now we don't really need to be online this time.
    Well, just once for the hook-up and team building.

I know that I didn't get a chance to ride very often since my systems were in storage and I was on PS3 this time around instead of 360.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If not Dongtown, Lords of Wangtown should suffice. If they try to shut it down, I'll be your token minority to complain about their racism.

Cause Wang is also a Chinese surname.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Then why not Wongtown? It isn't as if we wouldn't know...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I grabbed Skate 1 for like $10 during Gamestop's buy-two-get-one thing this past weekend, and aside from the sometimes nauseating camera angle and pervasive, all-encompassing product placement, it's quite good, I'm liking it.

Is Skate 2 enough of an improvement that I should grab it too, or should I wait until Skate 3 comes out?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Speaking as someone who loved the hell out of skate 1, you would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't get skate 2. It does in fact improve on quite a few things, although I preferred some of the old environments better.

I haven't even gotten halfway through skate 2's story mode because I just boot it up every once in a while to do tricks for a few hours. If you're like that, then it's definitely worth the cash.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Daedalus wrote: »
    So I grabbed Skate 1 for like $10 during Gamestop's buy-two-get-one thing this past weekend, and aside from the sometimes nauseating camera angle and pervasive, all-encompassing product placement, it's quite good, I'm liking it.

Is Skate 2 enough of an improvement that I should grab it too, or should I wait until Skate 3 comes out?

I like skate 2 better for many reasons, the biggest being that you can get off your board. It's so much easier and less frustrating to reset a missed trick when you can just run back up a set of stairs instead of either trying to skate up them or having to go all the way back around.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I like skate 2 better for many reasons, the biggest being that you can get off your board. It's so much easier and less frustrating to reset a missed trick when you can just run back up a set of stairs instead of either trying to skate up them or having to go all the way back around.

or you can just use the replay / playback feature

Like.. the waypoint thingy

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Al_wat wrote: »

it didn't always work! Especially during the timed challenges where I had to do a series of tricks over a series of objects. Sometimes it wouldn't work at all and sometimes it would put me all the way back at the beginning of the challenge area. Also, when I'm just doing random free skating and come across a spot I'd want to redo, I often don't have a nearby replay point set.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Al_wat wrote: »

it didn't always work! Especially during the timed challenges where I had to do a series of tricks over a series of objects. Sometimes it wouldn't work at all and sometimes it would put me all the way back at the beginning of the challenge area. Also, when I'm just doing random free skating and come across a spot I'd want to redo, I often don't have a nearby replay point set.
    And, at least in the first game, setting a way point and then traveling too far from it would require a fucking loading screen just to go back and start over. It gets old.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Quite possibly the best compilation video I've seen for skate 2:

http://www.goonskate.com/video.php?id=8137

Makes completely boring spots look like a heap of fun.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I just want to say.... that is one awesomely crafted video.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    japhjaph Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    They got new coverage/gameplay videos. Def looking forward to the team stuff.

japh on
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I played a lot of pub multi when I started playing Skate 2 again a while back, but it was always really hard to coordinate with the group here. I don't have net now, though, sadly. But this is line-up-in-front-of-the-store day 1 bought.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Shit I have to play more skate 2 before this comes out.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So preordering 3. I loved both the previous. 2 gets picked up quite often around here. My friends come over and we do hall of meat/ spot challenges for hours. Lots of fun.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So I'm going to start playing Skate.2 whilst waiting for my copy of Tropico 3 to be delivered. Are there any skate.reel achievements I should be aware of just to knock them out before EA happily shuts that service down?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Good news is that you have 1 more year before they shutdown the skate 2 servers. It's skate 1 servers turn this year.

Bad news is that some of them take while to get and need help from other players.

EDIT: there's bunch of easy ones too. they should be viewable from dashboard as they aren't secret achievements.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg