As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

skate 3: witty title under construction

• Options
    coffin joecoffin joe Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm sure we'll be able too, but I hope we can drop in on any ledge and not just pools.

coffin joe on
    I can smell ants.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    japh wrote: »
    http://skate.ea.com/blog.action?blogId=skateblog_feb25-20100226122327426.xml

I guess if you attend PAX East Cuz and co are going to demo it.

nice!

edit- i hope the walking is a bit more graceful in this game, the drop-ins seem like they may have gone back and touched up the on foot controls.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I dunno. Did you see how the character walked up the stairs? Looked awkward as hell.

The drop in was nice, but not the walking part.

Then again, we aren't playing Walk 3, so as long as it can get me where I need to be, I'm fine. Climbing little ledges would be cool too.

Actually, a full free-running system would be cool. Yeeaah. Let's do that.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    totallytotally Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I heartily agree with your post as well, being able to climb ledges and fences would be a very authentic touch. Thing is then they would have to actually hide spots better and really emphasize the urban exploration side of skateboarding. Actually hide a 70's snakerun out in the woods or climb onto the roof of a garage for a crazy pool drop in.

One thing that it looks like they did fix was the clothing meshes, those pants look way more natural. I hope they souped up the character editor a bit too.

totally on
    GT: totallyrobot GSID: totallytotally
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So psyched. SO psyched.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    totally wrote: »
    I heartily agree with your post as well, being able to climb ledges and fences would be a very authentic touch. Thing is then they would have to actually hide spots better and really emphasize the urban exploration side of skateboarding. Actually hide a 70's snakerun out in the woods or climb onto the roof of a garage for a crazy pool drop in.

One thing that it looks like they did fix was the clothing meshes, those pants look way more natural. I hope they souped up the character editor a bit too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPnaiUS8W90
    At about 2:27 they show a guy hopping over a fence. Doesn't look like he climbed but they talk about finding hidden spots and backyard pools that you can find also.

One way of getting over stuff will be to use the Object Dropper to stack crap up and hop over things. I just hope there will be another Super Dude like glitch that you can bounce up on buildings.

coffin joe on
    I can smell ants.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    coffin joe on
    I can smell ants.
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    God. So excited for this.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Rizzi wrote: »
    God. So excited for this.

Totally.

I didn't even think I liked skate games before I played skate 2. I guess I figured they were all like tony hawk. The flick control scheme is excellent.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Release date announced.
    EA Black Box today confirmed the release date for Skate 3, now set to hit store shelves in North America on May 11th and Europe on May 14th.
    And who do we meet?
    Also confirmed today is the full roster of skaters that'll be featured in Skate 3. The list is impressively long, including a number of Skater of the Year winners (as well as plenty of familiar faces from skate. and Skate 2): Mark Appleyard, Ray Barbee, Joey Brezinski, Dennis Busenitz, John Cardiel, Mike Carroll, Chris Cole, Jason Dill, Dan Drehobl, Rob Dyrdek, Pat Duffy, Benny Fairfax, Ryan Gallant, Chris Haslam, Jerry Hsu, Josh Kalis, Terry Kennedy, Eric Koston, P.J. Ladd, Colin McKay, Darren Navarrette, Lucas Puig, John Rattray, Andrew Reynolds, Braydon Szafranski and Danny Way, as well as former-skater-current-actor Jason Lee as Coach Frank.
    Is it bad I'm excited about the bolded part?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    He was in Project 8. So, 'meh'.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Never played project 8, but I like Jason Lee... it is the same one from Kevin Smith's movies, right?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yes. He was a professional skater before he turned actor. There's some debate in this, but if he didn't invent the 360 flip, he certainly popularized it. He was really good back in the day - I think he only stopped due to an injury.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtjdNdgWX1I

I really like My Name Is Earl, as well.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm thinking the only way I'll get skate.3 is if they add the ability to toggle a display on the screen that gives me feedback as to where I'm holding the right stick. I mean, I can't believe how I'm playing so poorly that I can't even pull off a simple kickflip because I'm not flicking it at a good enough angle...

The christmas is coming early this year.

http://skate.ea.com/media?mediaId=skate.school%20trailer-20100304020952571.xml&mediaType=0

New coach frank video reveals, that skate 3 contains, optional Trick analyzer that show how you did you flick your trick. Plus similar doo-dad for showing manual sweetspots.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    StorkStork Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Visti wrote: »
    Yes. He was a professional skater before he turned actor. There's some debate in this, but if he didn't invent the 360 flip, he certainly popularized it. He was really good back in the day - I think he only stopped due to an injury.

Rodney Mullen invented the 360 kickflip. Jason Lee was gnarly and had them down, punk ass little kids gave Lee the credit.

I think Lee's first acting gig was skating down the middle of the street in that Sonic Youth video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iva_Y9W3hJ0

edit: I guess there's not a lot of middle of the road skating, that's what I remembered from the days of being a punk ass little kid skater.

Stork on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Stork wrote: »
    Visti wrote: »

Rodney Mullen invented the 360 kickflip. Jason Lee was gnarly and had them down, punk ass little kids gave Lee the credit.

I think Lee's first acting gig was skating down the middle of the street in that Sonic Youth video.

edit: I guess there's not a lot of middle of the road skating, that's what I remembered from the days of being a punk ass little kid skater.

Way I heard it, it was either The Gonz or Lee. Rodney has a list a mile long of tricks he invented, but I only rarely hear about him coming up with the 360 flip, he did start doing stuff like that relatively late in the game. But then again, it's one of those things where it's not impossible for stuff to happen simultaneously. You got your shoves and your kickflips. it's just a matter of time for someone to combine it. Anyway, it's a silly argument and it's probably safe to say that none of us know first hand.

In more important news, I was not aware of the addition of an easy, normal and hardcore mode for the game. Yeeeeeess. I want that hardcore mode.

edit: that is a hell of a 360 flip off the curb in that video.

double-edit: more skating vidjas! more! I'm so stoked for this game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlvwfVCNCB0

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Mullen get the credit for the tre, there is no question.

The reason people think Lee did them first is because Rodney Mullen was a freestyle skater (flat parking lots - little movement, etc), which had pretty much gone out of style by the time Lee hit the scene ripping street. Street became the dominant form and as I stated previously kids saw Lee doing them first. If anyone wants to continue this nonsense I will come up with proof, but first I'll need wagers.

FYI, just finished Mullen's book "The Mutt, How to Skateboard and Not Kill Yourself" and it's pretty interesting.

Stork on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is there really that much enmity in the scene anyway? I always got the impression that it was kind of similar to wrestling in that people use shit all the time and actual credit gets murky. It's only rare when somebody gets a bug up their ass about getting credit for something.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So is Coach Frank from something? They keep referencing it like we're supposed to know who that is, but I am getting the feeling that it's just a gimmick they made for the game.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So is Coach Frank from something? They keep referencing it like we're supposed to know who that is, but I am getting the feeling that it's just a gimmick they made for the game.

Remember, it's not enough to just be a skater hitting up spots and shit. You gotta save the world from evil corporations whilst being mentored by some pioneering legend who'll teach you the magic trick to unite the universe in perfect harmony. With Dr. Pepper.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sorry, Coke gets the credit for uniting the world in perfect harmony.

And no, I don't think there's any type of animosity. Actually Lee and Mullen were both at World Industries together before Lee went on to found Stereo (a WI sub company) and Mullen speaks very highly of Jason Lee in the book. The reason I was trying to keep the story straight is because the fact that there's any debate is just so off base. Mullen invented nearly every modern street trick as a freestyle trick first, including the ollie which is the basis for just about everything. Now, he wasn't doing it into 40 foot handrails first or anything...

Stork on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Mullen has been my favorite skater since forever, it's too bad there's not a lot of new material with him.

Anyway, I just booted up Skate 2 yet again and it is so awesome. I wanna build that rig from video posted on the last page at Slappy's and just skate for hours.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pots+panspots+pans Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dan Drehobl is in it! Holy shit! Incredibly detailed and informative interview with him:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F5M8lQBiZI

pots+pans on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wish I never traded skate 2 in.

Also I wish skate 3 was out right now, fuck.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There's a demo for Skate 2, and one for Skat3 soon.

Maybe it's cause I've only ever played THPS games, but I miss the exhilarating, perhaps unrealistic sense of "air" I used to be able to get in that series.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    There's a demo for Skate 2, and one for Skat3 soon.

And that demo is coming April 15th!

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Bought a copy of Skate 2 online today. I've played the demo like ten times, so it only seemed fair.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I can't find any good graphics on the Skate site. They're all pretty awful. :/

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Make your own! I really enjoyed the ones I've made, not because they're good, but because I made them.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm terrible at anything creative. :P
    I just pulled off a 900 boneless. So awesome.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Creating graphics on the website is such a pain. Plus, you're limited to just the space between the trucks. About the only reason to do it is for the achievement points.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    pots+pans wrote: »
    Dan Drehobl is in it! Holy shit! Incredibly detailed and informative interview with him:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F5M8lQBiZI
    Yep, yep.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I dunno, whoever made the LoD board design I sport in this video had some measure of talent.
    More than me anyway

http://skatereel.ea.com/members/2/186524756/8469.aspx

EDIT: Here's a stillshot

http://skatereel.ea.com/members/2/186524756/8755.aspx

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm not saying it's not possible. But it took me a while to deal with the little bugs in the program just to come up with this. Either an in-game creator or the ability to import images would've been nice. It took me forever to figure out how to rotate things.

Fighting with the creator, at this late date, just to create something 'special' simply isn't worth it.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Didn't the Goons come up with a exploit/hack that let them import images?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah. Important part is sporting your own stuff.

And showing them off :P

Here's my current gear. Tentacle on board and Arcadians is on hat.

dayoftetentacle.png

Arcadians.png

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    dammit... I think part of the reason I still load up Burnout is because it's sitting there on my PS3 hard drive and I can load it up at any time. If EA did the same with Skate (or 2) then I would probably play it about the same amount if not more.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Nocren wrote: »

I think I remember seeing something about it. For me though, considering what I'd actually wanted to end up with, the work involved in finding appropriate art assets would've made it just as much as a pain in the ass. And after seeing the videos for skate3, I'm not sure it's any better this time around.

Personally, I'd have been just fine with it if they had 'generic' board sponsor decks.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Nocren wrote: »

That was very short lived. I think it was one evening, then it was taken down.
    Everyone who managed to save stuff on their xbox before that got to keep their real pictures though.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Tentacle board is awesome. I have no net at all for 3 and I am saddened by that fact because it can only be better than what was in 2 and I used that all the time.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]