As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

From NTSC to PAL: The Horrors of Cross Continental Gaming

GuekGuek Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
This is a question for all of you import gamers out there. What are the implications of bringing a console from the US to a PAL region? I'll be in the UK for several months and I'm seriously thinking of bringing along my wii, specifically in order to import and play brawl once it releases in the states. I'm just curious as to how big of a hassle it is and whether or not such action is advisable.

and if you want to call me a twit for being that desperate to play smash bros...well...you're probably right. that's why i said i'm considering it :)

Guek on

• Options
    Sushi_KSushi_K Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's not too bad, as almost every TV made for the PAL territories in the last 10-15 years will support NTSC. If it has RCA jacks, it's a safe bet your NTSC console will be able to display on it.

As far as getting juice to your Wii, you'll need a voltage converter. Not just one of those plug converters though - you need something to get the UK 240 volts down to the US standard of 110 volts.

As far as games, Nintendo hates the PAL territories. They express their hatred of this potentially lucrative market by region locking their hardware, doubling the price of games over what the US pays, and delaying games for months or years, if they bother releasing them at all. Bottom line, take your games and only get new games by importing.

If you've got stuff on the VC, that should be fine, as which country's VC you can access is locked to the hardware, not where you actually are.

Sushi_K on
    Inyourendo!
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yep, he's spot on. Providing you don't mind importing each of your games you'll be absolutely fine. Hardware such as wiimotes and Nunchucks should work without an issue though. Importing will actually (more often than not) work out cheaper than buying new in the UK, and that includes the shipping cost.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Bring lots of monies if you plan on buying games here. Sushi_K covered all the technical stuff I can think of.

LewieP on
  • Options
    anastaziusanastazius Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hi. I've live in the UK and recently impotred an American Wii, with the intention of playing Brawl in December.

.. we don't talk about the delay.

Anyways, I can confirm you need either step-down power converter, or somehow get hold of an official UK Wii power supply (apparently you can order these directly from Nintendo Europe).

For importing USA Wii games I recommend www.movietyme.com or www.dvdboxoffice.com

And for Virtual Console downloads, you can't use UK bought Wii Points cards. You need to purchase them through the Wii Shop Channel. To do this set your country of origin as Brazil; this is so that they don't check what your actual coutry of origin is from, I've downloaded Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo using (using USA points bought with my UK credit card) this trick and it works fine.

Finally, the best way you ca connect your Wii to our TVs is using a component HD cale on a HDTV. I don't have one of those, and because my TV is a bit old, it only displays my USA Wii in black & white, it doesn't support the 'proper' NTSC signal or something.

I'm now having to wait on an NTSC > PAL signal switcher from eBay.

Hope this helps.

anastazius on
    xbl - smashballTaz
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    thanks a lot!

I do have component cables so that shouldn't be a problem. I also wasn't planning on buying any pal coded games since they wouldn't work on my american wii. this power converter sounds easy enough..

thanks again everyone for answering my questions. my main concern is that my host family will think it's weird that I brought a gaming console all the way from america...i'm just worried it'll come off as rude.

Guek on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Guek wrote: »
    i'm just worried it'll come off as rude.

When you first boot up Wii Sports for them, they won't want you to leave, if they are anything like my familly when I go home for Christmas.

LewieP on