Options

New Comic. She's all Hat. Nov 7th.

1246

Posts

  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If he's bipedal, I don't think he has hind legs.

    Just legs.

    Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    is puzzle quest worth the buy? it seems to have gotten mostly positive reviews.
    It's awesome when it isn't raping you in the ass with endless chains of four-of-a-kinds, +5 skulls, extremely convenient extra turns, and special abilities spammed like potions in Diablo.

    Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    What amuses me is the writers and actors who are outside the studios picketing.
    What the hell purpose does that serve?
    Everybody in the world knows they're striking.
    They're writers. Shouldn't they go home and blog about it or something?

    It disrupts the business as usual of the studios. Every truck that has to slow down for picketers to get out of the way, every delivery boy who stops to chat or stare, every take disrupted by honking cars or particularly loud chants, is a delay. And those delays cannot be ignored by the producers and studio heads, serving as incentive to get them back to the negotiating table.

    Hell, say they make due with the inconveniences. It makes them remember that the WGA is passionate about the cause, and dedicated to it. It's a physical demonstration of the ideals that led to the strike. A reminder that they're suffering, too.

    Also, fuck jwalk and anybody else who thinks all Hollywood writers are rich. This past weekend, my account had negative ten dollars in it. And I clocked ten miles on the picket line this afternoon, despite having a wicked cold, and despite the fact that I'm not even in the guild. Because there are some important issues at stake here, that are going to reflect how writers are rewarded for their efforts in the coming decades, as the entertainment industry enters the digital age.

    And, hell, it's bigger than just the writers. Which sounds cliched, but fuck it. Because if nobody ever claims their fair share of the money made off their efforts, what incentive will the studios have to pay anybody for theirs? There is a reason SAG, DGA, and teamster members have been joining the picket lines.

    Also, this was a lovely comic.

    Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    While we're saying "fuck people who think <profession> is overpaid," just pretty much fuck everyone who complains that any profession is overpaid. I don't care if it's pop music, pro sports, movie writers, or whatever. There are basically NO overpaid professions. Yes, there can exist overpaid professions, but those only exist for brief periods of time before the economy realizes that they're not worth that much, and then the pay rate for that profession drops down to what it's supposed to be. For example, the "dot com boom" in the late 1990s...that was an overpaid profession, and after a few years, it crashed.

    As for every other job, it's not overpaid, you simple-minded fucks, because if someone WAS getting paid a billion dollars to do shitty work that any tenth-grader could handle, guess what? The job market would be flooded with 16-year-old kids who do the job for very little money, because nobody's dumb enough to pay a billion dollars for something that you can get for twenty thousand. And even if there is a businessman that stupid, it won't matter, because he'll go out of business really fast as soon as his competitors realize that they can do what he's doing for less money.

    Pro athletes earn their pay. Being one of the best football players in the country, good enough to compete on the national level, is fucking hard. Just the exercise and practice alone is extremely demanding, plus there's a very high risk of serious on-the-job injury, plus you're basically guaranteed that you will only be able to work for a short time before your body is injured/aged enough that you can't keep up the pace.

    Screenwriters do, too. Hey, look, I think that a lot of movies are derivative, stupid bullshit. So I don't go see those movies. But it's evident that enough people do go to see predictable three-act bullshit where every single hurt feeling is patched up and everyone's happy that these films keep getting written. The writers don't necessarily get paid barrels of money for each film, and even the "overpaid" leading actors like Tom Cruise or whomever are not overpaid, because the combination of acting skill, good looks, and PR presence that they bring to the table means that the film is going to bring in way more money. Once again, if dumbfucks didn't do things like go "OH MY GOD JESSICA ALBA'S IN THIS MOVIE SHE'S SO HOT I'M GONNA SEE IT SO I CAN LOOK AT HER COVERED-UP BOOBS" then Jessica Alba wouldn't get paid as much.

    In short, complaining that someone else's entire profession is overpaid is bullshit. Everyone is paid what the economy will bear with exceptions being few and far between. So even if Hollywood writers were rich, it would be because they earned it.

    Hell, if I were a Hollywood writer, I'd be pretty annoyed that films with absolute shit writing get Oscar-winning actors and top-of-the-line production and promotion/advertising while really insightful, interesting art gets left in the dumpster for indies to pick through and produce on shoestring budgets. But it's not Hollywood's fault, completely. It's mostly the fault of dumbass consumers.

    Defender on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rage.

    ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Do you have to be right in such dense paragraphs?

    tl;ra

    too long, read anyway.

    redfenix on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    What amuses me is the writers and actors who are outside the studios picketing.
    What the hell purpose does that serve?
    Everybody in the world knows they're striking.
    They're writers. Shouldn't they go home and blog about it or something?

    It disrupts the business as usual of the studios. Every truck that has to slow down for picketers to get out of the way, every delivery boy who stops to chat or stare, every take disrupted by honking cars or particularly loud chants, is a delay. And those delays cannot be ignored by the producers and studio heads, serving as incentive to get them back to the negotiating table.

    Hell, say they make due with the inconveniences. It makes them remember that the WGA is passionate about the cause, and dedicated to it. It's a physical demonstration of the ideals that led to the strike. A reminder that they're suffering, too.

    Also, fuck jwalk and anybody else who thinks all Hollywood writers are rich. This past weekend, my account had negative ten dollars in it. And I clocked ten miles on the picket line this afternoon, despite having a wicked cold, and despite the fact that I'm not even in the guild. Because there are some important issues at stake here, that are going to reflect how writers are rewarded for their efforts in the coming decades, as the entertainment industry enters the digital age.

    And, hell, it's bigger than just the writers. Which sounds cliched, but fuck it. Because if nobody ever claims their fair share of the money made off their efforts, what incentive will the studios have to pay anybody for theirs? There is a reason SAG, DGA, and teamster members have been joining the picket lines.

    Also, this was a lovely comic.

    Does... does this mean no PooroEdit?

    Ruckus on
  • Options
    mattmatt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    so gabe's read nextwave?

    matt on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    While we're saying "fuck people who think <profession> is overpaid," just pretty much fuck everyone who complains that any profession is overpaid. I don't care if it's pop music, pro sports, movie writers, or whatever. There are basically NO overpaid professions. Yes, there can exist overpaid professions, but those only exist for brief periods of time before the economy realizes that they're not worth that much, and then the pay rate for that profession drops down to what it's supposed to be. For example, the "dot com boom" in the late 1990s...that was an overpaid profession, and after a few years, it crashed.

    As for every other job, it's not overpaid, you simple-minded fucks, because if someone WAS getting paid a billion dollars to do shitty work that any tenth-grader could handle, guess what? The job market would be flooded with 16-year-old kids who do the job for very little money, because nobody's dumb enough to pay a billion dollars for something that you can get for twenty thousand. And even if there is a businessman that stupid, it won't matter, because he'll go out of business really fast as soon as his competitors realize that they can do what he's doing for less money.

    Pro athletes earn their pay. Being one of the best football players in the country, good enough to compete on the national level, is fucking hard. Just the exercise and practice alone is extremely demanding, plus there's a very high risk of serious on-the-job injury, plus you're basically guaranteed that you will only be able to work for a short time before your body is injured/aged enough that you can't keep up the pace.

    Screenwriters do, too. Hey, look, I think that a lot of movies are derivative, stupid bullshit. So I don't go see those movies. But it's evident that enough people do go to see predictable three-act bullshit where every single hurt feeling is patched up and everyone's happy that these films keep getting written. The writers don't necessarily get paid barrels of money for each film, and even the "overpaid" leading actors like Tom Cruise or whomever are not overpaid, because the combination of acting skill, good looks, and PR presence that they bring to the table means that the film is going to bring in way more money. Once again, if dumbfucks didn't do things like go "OH MY GOD JESSICA ALBA'S IN THIS MOVIE SHE'S SO HOT I'M GONNA SEE IT SO I CAN LOOK AT HER COVERED-UP BOOBS" then Jessica Alba wouldn't get paid as much.

    In short, complaining that someone else's entire profession is overpaid is bullshit. Everyone is paid what the economy will bear with exceptions being few and far between. So even if Hollywood writers were rich, it would be because they earned it.

    Hell, if I were a Hollywood writer, I'd be pretty annoyed that films with absolute shit writing get Oscar-winning actors and top-of-the-line production and promotion/advertising while really insightful, interesting art gets left in the dumpster for indies to pick through and produce on shoestring budgets. But it's not Hollywood's fault, completely. It's mostly the fault of dumbass consumers.

    Man this does not deserve to be bottom paged.

    Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I am fine with the writer's strike, because it sounds like they have a reason and I don't watch that much TV.

    Seriously on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2007
    To be fair, when people say someone is overpaid, they're not talking about in terms of the entire economy. They're saying that the amount that say, David Beckham gets paid is obscene regardless of his talents. I absolutely agree that if someone gets paid a certain amount, they're probably worth it, but I think there comes a salary point that's somewhat difficult to justify for almost anyone.

    Maybe I see it differently because over here it's "soccer" players who get paid the most, and "soccer" is a faggot game.

    Tube on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I wonder how much the guy who says "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAALL!" gets paid.

    MKR on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Although I didn't give 1.5 shits about the baseball strike.

    Seriously on
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So people deserve to get paid whatever they get paid?

    Like teachers?

    No, I think it's reasonable to point out that our economy tends to mis-prioritize some of this shit. A baseball player making a quarter of a billion dollars may have to work hard to stay in form, but in terms of what the world really needs, he's not providing a quarter billion dollars worth of benefit. He's maybe creating a quarter billion dollars worth of benefit to our society's fucked-up priorities, but I'm still going to say that in rational terms, he's overpaid. (As an aside, I always hated the whole "Oh, well they can't play for as long because they get hurt too much, so they retire earlier" argument. 1: Cry me a fucking river, I'd love to retire that early, and 2: Nothing's keeping them from going back to school and getting an accounting degree or something. "Oh, my bad knee's acting up, I can't audit this account!")

    Writers, on the other hand, by and large get paid shit.

    Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

    their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think there was an episode of Cosby about this.

    ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Come to think of it, both the Actors and the Writers probably have nearly equal parts in making a scene "believable" and entertaining, but because the Actors are the people who we actually see, they end up getting all the credit for it.

    Ruckus on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Except for Live Free or Die Hard, the Pyrotechnics and Stunt guys should get all the credit for that one.

    Ruckus on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Framling wrote: »
    Writers, on the other hand, by and large get paid shit.
    So if they create shit, then they are being paid appropriately? Got it.

    Ok ...there are exceptions, but get real.. the vast majority of TV is SHIT. I don't even know why you are defending these people.

    Not saying they shouldn't get paid for their work. Obviously there's a lot of money in TV and since the writers are probably the main creative force (use the term loosely...) they should get their fair share if anyone should.

    But let's be clear what we're talking about here. AFTRA and SAG and Writer's Guild and IATSE are not the type of unions that liberals need to celebrate. They are guilds, designed to limit who gets to work in a very desirable industry.

    One of the many reasons most of the people who try to get into the industry never succeed is because they can't get a union card. It requires credits and connections that outsiders can rarely attain.

    The low wage service industry is crying out for unionization. So are sweatshops. And there are many companies out there who are engaging in the worst sorts of union busting in order to screw over their low wage workers. But the entertainment industry unions perform a different function. They are a velvet rope, one of the many ways in which those who are lucky enough to work in the industry can feel privileged compared to the rest of America. There's no great liberal cause in supporting them.

    jwalk on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    do you think TV is bad because the writers just don't feel like writing quality stuff

    Butler on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    more the fault of producers and network executives that only green-light shit.

    which leads to more shit being written, because they figure it's got a better chance of making it to the screen.

    either that or they all just suck at their job...

    but I know that's not true.

    only about 90% of them do. ;)

    jwalk on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Framling wrote: »
    So people deserve to get paid whatever they get paid?

    Like teachers?

    No, I think it's reasonable to point out that our economy tends to mis-prioritize some of this shit. A baseball player making a quarter of a billion dollars may have to work hard to stay in form, but in terms of what the world really needs, he's not providing a quarter billion dollars worth of benefit. He's maybe creating a quarter billion dollars worth of benefit to our society's fucked-up priorities, but I'm still going to say that in rational terms, he's overpaid. (As an aside, I always hated the whole "Oh, well they can't play for as long because they get hurt too much, so they retire earlier" argument. 1: Cry me a fucking river, I'd love to retire that early, and 2: Nothing's keeping them from going back to school and getting an accounting degree or something. "Oh, my bad knee's acting up, I can't audit this account!")

    Writers, on the other hand, by and large get paid shit.

    And baseball is the worst sport. Half the time, they're just sitting around waiting for their turn. You ever see the benches when a team is up to bat? They're barely paying attention to the game themselves. They're trying to occupy their time and keep from being bored by juggling, messing with their hats, etc. I mean, if the guys actually on the team can't be bothered to pay attention to the game, why should anyone else?

    The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just to make sure everyone is on the same page: The protest is mainly about digital distribution. When TVs are fed entirely by bits streamed over the tubes, they will get paid nothing at all, ever for their work.

    The studio execs are being cockbags about paying them for money made from DVD releases and ad sales online because they consider it "promotional."

    MKR on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    they are also trying to re-negotiate home video royalties, they get something like .3% right now and they are asking for .6%.

    not that big a deal really.

    all this is blown out of proportion.. people are just upset they have to watch re-runs of Jay Leno... oh noes, the world is coming to an end!

    meanwhile Jonny Punchclock gets fired because the CEO of Bottomline, Inc. can get a 10 year old in china to do his job for 5 cents a day, and nobody seems to care much.

    priorities?

    jwalk on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Framling wrote: »
    So people deserve to get paid whatever they get paid?

    Like teachers?

    No, I think it's reasonable to point out that our economy tends to mis-prioritize some of this shit. A baseball player making a quarter of a billion dollars may have to work hard to stay in form, but in terms of what the world really needs, he's not providing a quarter billion dollars worth of benefit. He's maybe creating a quarter billion dollars worth of benefit to our society's fucked-up priorities, but I'm still going to say that in rational terms, he's overpaid. (As an aside, I always hated the whole "Oh, well they can't play for as long because they get hurt too much, so they retire earlier" argument. 1: Cry me a fucking river, I'd love to retire that early, and 2: Nothing's keeping them from going back to school and getting an accounting degree or something. "Oh, my bad knee's acting up, I can't audit this account!")

    Writers, on the other hand, by and large get paid shit.

    if they retire, they can still make shitloads advertising and doing memoirs and stuff

    Nuzak on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Framling wrote: »
    So people deserve to get paid whatever they get paid?

    Like teachers?

    No, I think it's reasonable to point out that our economy tends to mis-prioritize some of this shit...
    ...Writers, on the other hand, by and large get paid shit.
    Fram's got a hell of a point.

    Unfortunately, teachers do not pull in huge amounts of advertising revenue and the only way we'd ever take "children are our greatest natural resource" seriously is if they could be burned as clean, safe, renewable energy.

    Maybe someone should propose some kind of wacky system where a percentage of your personal income goes to the teachers who taught you as a child. Y'know, give them some incentive. The teachers who churned out dumb, lazy students wouldn't get anything while the good teachers and coaches would get to retire after churning out a few award-winning, highly-paid students.

    TankHammer on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I had a lot of not so good teachers though.

    Seriously on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Seriously wrote: »
    I had a lot of not so good teachers though.

    I've seen a lot of really horrible movies and TV shows.

    Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm really sorry you pay them for it then.

    Seriously on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That gun may look tiny, but it could probably kill man, but simply landing on him.

    Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ruckus wrote: »
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    What amuses me is the writers and actors who are outside the studios picketing.
    What the hell purpose does that serve?
    Everybody in the world knows they're striking.
    They're writers. Shouldn't they go home and blog about it or something?

    It disrupts the business as usual of the studios. Every truck that has to slow down for picketers to get out of the way, every delivery boy who stops to chat or stare, every take disrupted by honking cars or particularly loud chants, is a delay. And those delays cannot be ignored by the producers and studio heads, serving as incentive to get them back to the negotiating table.

    Hell, say they make due with the inconveniences. It makes them remember that the WGA is passionate about the cause, and dedicated to it. It's a physical demonstration of the ideals that led to the strike. A reminder that they're suffering, too.

    Also, fuck jwalk and anybody else who thinks all Hollywood writers are rich. This past weekend, my account had negative ten dollars in it. And I clocked ten miles on the picket line this afternoon, despite having a wicked cold, and despite the fact that I'm not even in the guild. Because there are some important issues at stake here, that are going to reflect how writers are rewarded for their efforts in the coming decades, as the entertainment industry enters the digital age.

    And, hell, it's bigger than just the writers. Which sounds cliched, but fuck it. Because if nobody ever claims their fair share of the money made off their efforts, what incentive will the studios have to pay anybody for theirs? There is a reason SAG, DGA, and teamster members have been joining the picket lines.

    Also, this was a lovely comic.

    Does... does this mean no PooroEdit?

    This one would've been impossible to edit anyway, since that third panel is a very specific joke, that I could have done nothing with.

    And I'm officially ignoring every post by jwalk, because there's no point slamming my head against that particular brick wall. "Writers aren't getting paid what they should." "Yeah, but there are kids in SWEATSHOPS! Who are these selfish writers to complain?" *sigh*

    Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    What amuses me is the writers and actors who are outside the studios picketing.
    What the hell purpose does that serve?
    Everybody in the world knows they're striking.
    They're writers. Shouldn't they go home and blog about it or something?

    It disrupts the business as usual of the studios. Every truck that has to slow down for picketers to get out of the way, every delivery boy who stops to chat or stare, every take disrupted by honking cars or particularly loud chants, is a delay. And those delays cannot be ignored by the producers and studio heads, serving as incentive to get them back to the negotiating table.

    Hell, say they make due with the inconveniences. It makes them remember that the WGA is passionate about the cause, and dedicated to it. It's a physical demonstration of the ideals that led to the strike. A reminder that they're suffering, too.

    Also, fuck jwalk and anybody else who thinks all Hollywood writers are rich. This past weekend, my account had negative ten dollars in it. And I clocked ten miles on the picket line this afternoon, despite having a wicked cold, and despite the fact that I'm not even in the guild. Because there are some important issues at stake here, that are going to reflect how writers are rewarded for their efforts in the coming decades, as the entertainment industry enters the digital age.

    And, hell, it's bigger than just the writers. Which sounds cliched, but fuck it. Because if nobody ever claims their fair share of the money made off their efforts, what incentive will the studios have to pay anybody for theirs? There is a reason SAG, DGA, and teamster members have been joining the picket lines.

    Also, this was a lovely comic.

    That is a douchey, thuggish way to get things across for a business based on artistic communication.
    And a tiny impact compared to not having anything to film in the first place.

    Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is not to say that I am against the strike itself.
    Go writers.

    Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    What amuses me is the writers and actors who are outside the studios picketing.
    What the hell purpose does that serve?
    Everybody in the world knows they're striking.
    They're writers. Shouldn't they go home and blog about it or something?

    It disrupts the business as usual of the studios. Every truck that has to slow down for picketers to get out of the way, every delivery boy who stops to chat or stare, every take disrupted by honking cars or particularly loud chants, is a delay. And those delays cannot be ignored by the producers and studio heads, serving as incentive to get them back to the negotiating table.

    Hell, say they make due with the inconveniences. It makes them remember that the WGA is passionate about the cause, and dedicated to it. It's a physical demonstration of the ideals that led to the strike. A reminder that they're suffering, too.

    Also, fuck jwalk and anybody else who thinks all Hollywood writers are rich. This past weekend, my account had negative ten dollars in it. And I clocked ten miles on the picket line this afternoon, despite having a wicked cold, and despite the fact that I'm not even in the guild. Because there are some important issues at stake here, that are going to reflect how writers are rewarded for their efforts in the coming decades, as the entertainment industry enters the digital age.

    And, hell, it's bigger than just the writers. Which sounds cliched, but fuck it. Because if nobody ever claims their fair share of the money made off their efforts, what incentive will the studios have to pay anybody for theirs? There is a reason SAG, DGA, and teamster members have been joining the picket lines.

    Also, this was a lovely comic.

    That is a douchey, thuggish way to get things across for a business based on artistic communication.
    And a tiny impact compared to not having anything to film in the first place.

    You think the studios give a flying turd about artistic communication?

    Have you fucking seen White Chicks?

    And a tiny impact is still impact, and the writers are gonna do anything they can to be heard.

    Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Unskilled worker dudes need to picket, because they're utterly replaceable.
    Just saying "sorry, can't come to work today due to enlarged balls" has already fucked up the whole entertainment industry, and it seems like a waste for these talented people to be walking around outside with dumb signs that say "don't you wanna know what the island is" when they could be writing impassioned defenses of their position or writing comic books or something.

    Or taking a damn vacation, which is what I would do.

    Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    Unskilled worker dudes need to picket, because they're utterly replaceable.
    Just saying "sorry, can't come to work today due to enlarged balls" has already fucked up the whole entertainment industry, and it seems like a waste for these talented people to be walking around outside with dumb signs that say "don't you wanna know what the island is" when they could be writing impassioned defenses of their position or writing comic books or something.

    Or taking a damn vacation, which is what I would do.

    Who, exactly, is gonna read impassioned defenses? If the studios were willing to listen to defenses of any kind, they'd still be sitting at the negotiation table.

    As is, they've got their fingers in their ears, going "LA LA LA LA LA LA." But by picketing, the writers actively engage the community, getting information to people who would ordinarily never hear about the issues. Hell, as a direct result of the picketing, the city council voted unanimously to force the producers back into negotiating.

    Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    And some writers are writing their informed, passionate defenses. This site collects a whole heap of them.

    But I'd bet, dollars to donuts, that you never even knew the site was there. Most people don't. Picketing reaches a far, far larger audience than an opinion column ever will.

    Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's the internet age. Everybody knows about everything. I don't buy that picketing is necessary, and it comes across as childish to me.

    Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    And for the record, I knew about that site, but I'm not a hippy commie so I don't read it.

    Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Caulk Bite wrote: »
    That gun may look tiny, but it could probably kill man, but simply landing on him.

    I imagine a scene where a wily-haired scientist and his many assistants drag a heavy, steel case into the lab.
    "Rex, due to your... *ahem* ...unique stature this weapon had to be fully custom-made for you."
    *The scientist pops the latches on the case and it opens slowly on pneumatic hinges.

    *The gun inside is enormous and is easily the height of the scientist and his assistants.

    *In another panel, Rex grunts and reaches down with one, stubby arm. A close-up of the case is seen from the back, then 3 vertical 1/3-width panels show detail shots of the weapon. The last shot is a panorama where you discover that just because the gun is large in scale to the human science team, it is absolutely minuscule in the hands of the Tyrannosaurus Rex.

    *Rex roars appreciatively and flashes a killer smile.

    TankHammer on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    fuck it, let em strike, ain't no skin off my ass either way.

    Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
This discussion has been closed.