As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Problems with work and uni.

bezerk bobbezerk bob Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Right, at the moment i am working retail stacking fruit and veg. This job is cancer, it really is. However the money is pretty good considering its unskilled work. Unfortunately some of the people and all the managment make the work environment very unpleasent. Plus there are the hours, a full day runs from 7:30 in the morning to a little after 6:00 at night.

I am also studying at university, i wasnt really sure what i wanted to do after i left school and my folks were very much of the idea that i should get a degree. I wanted to take a year off, support myself with some easy work and think about what i wanted to do with my life. But the folks say no - go to uni, fine i choose the path of least resistance and enroll (bach I.T through the business faculty).

Five years down the track i find myself in this situation. I have about 5 courses to go to complete my degree and i just cant summon the drive to finish them, i really hate my course. So much of it is just useless bs that has no application in the real world. Most of the business courses are just memorising stupid acronyms and even more stupid diagrams that serve to make the thing they are trying to describe more obtuse. I really, really dont think i have it in me to finish my degree. The last 12 months i will enroll in one or two courses at the start of the semester and just stop going to class, stop reading the books and just give up on it. I really hate the courses that much.

So basically i want to quit my shit job before the christmas rush, because honestly we have had so many people quit that we are going to get rolled. I also would very much like for my next job to be at least marginally related to I.T, so i can start getting some experience. The problem is the all require some form of qualification. Is there a way i can not have to complete my degree and still get some qualification to help me get a job? and if not what can i do? any advice will be greatly appreciated.

You can only drink 30 or 40 glasses of beer a day, no matter how rich you are. -- Colonel Adolphus Busch
bezerk bob on