As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My wireless stopped working after I moved

MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I moved last weekend and on Monday, Comcast came to hook up my cable and broadband. After some issues with my phone service (I have Vonage) I have found that everything works except my wireless. I have a router with phone ports for the Vonage but I have a Linksys WAP54G connected to that and a WMP54G in my PC. Now, the things that are connected directly to the router (Tivo, 360) can connect to the internet just fine and my PC can connect to the wireless network and I can even get into the WAP's configuration but I can't access the internet with the wireless connection at all. Could this be a problem with Comcast? Are they This problem has gone totally beyond the small amount of knowledge I have about this sort of thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

MarvellousM on

• Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This most likely has to do with what changed, eg your location. You may have moved into an area with more wireless traffic (an apartment or condo perhaps?). What channel are you operating your wireless on?

There is also an opensource wireless scanning program which enumerates all the wireless signals within range, listing their SSIDs, strength, channel, and sometimes the device type. I can't remember what it's called at the moment, hopefully somebody else will.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    No other wireless networks comes up when Windows searches for them, is that any kind of indicator? Should I try changing the frequency on the WAP (its currently on 6 I think)? Would that just affect going online with it or would that my being able to connect to the WAP in the first place?

MarvellousM on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Can the PC connect to the internet through a wired connection?

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yes

MarvellousM on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Are you using the default SSID?

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    As far as I know

MarvellousM on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Try going into your WAP on a wired connection and changing your SSID and wireless channel to something that's not default. Also change the admin password for the router off the default as well.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Will give it a try when I get home, thanks!

MarvellousM on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    That worked a treat, many thanks.

MarvellousM on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Just to finish this off, I suggested SSID and channel change because I had the feeling that somebody else nearby has the same manufacturer of WAP/Router, and was also using the defaults, causing confusion.

So the lesson here for anybody who reads this is that you should never leave your WAP/Router SSID and channel on the default, and always change the config password too.

Ruckus on