As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best cheap home NAS?

taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
Well my desktops finally pretty much full up with 5 internal HDD"s and 3 external drives hooked up. its getting rather impractical to keep hooking up external drive sso i'm looking at getting a small NAS, the one i'm looking at right now is the D-link DNS-323 here http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX15362(ME).aspx which has gigabit ethernet and supports two drives, i plan on using it in jbod mode. Are there any better bang for you buck NAs's out there/ any horrible flaws in this model? some other cheaper solution i'm not thinking of?

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
taliosfalcon on

• Options
    KarennaKarenna Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've been using that exact NAS for about 3 months now, and it works as a cheap, barebones BYO drives option. Only complaint I have with it, sometimes it will just disconnect from the network, and you have to use D-Link's crappy software to get it hooked up again. Otherwise, performance is great for the price.

The only other product in the pricerange that I have seen is Linksys' NAS200, which has some pretty horrible ratings.

Unfortunately, the next step up appears to be in the realm of the Buffalo Terrastations, or Infrants readyNAS, both of which we're talking $500-1000 range.

Karenna on
    389eb5ab62e67d83.png
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I currently use a Belkin Network USB Hub for this. I attach a WD MyBook and my printer to it, as well as my camera and ipod and this makes ALL accessible through my network. The ONLY downside is only 1 user can connect to any device at a time. They have a neat "request use" feature in the software you run for them, as well as a neat bypass to the printer where it only connects to the printer if you're actually printing. But for the HD, if my wife is using it, I have to request it's use so she'll know I need it. That's my only complaint, other than that, ANY USB device I have hooked up so far has worked like a champ across my network, both wired and wirelessly.

Device is Belkin Network USB Hub

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Any of the WD external solutions are good. I've got a few different models here at the office and they are great. Good quality, decent price, and plenty of options depending on how you want to hook it up.
    USB, Firewire, eSATA, Ethernet

Worldbook (ethernet)
    Home edition (USB, Firewire, eSATA)

Other models are there too, but those two are probably the best solutions for either network or single PC use.

How much storage are you looking to gain? 1TB? More?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Any of the WD external solutions are good. I've got a few different models here at the office and they are great. Good quality, decent price, and plenty of options depending on how you want to hook it up.
    USB, Firewire, eSATA, Ethernet

Worldbook (ethernet)
    Home edition (USB, Firewire, eSATA)

Other models are there too, but those two are probably the best solutions for either network or single PC use.

How much storage are you looking to gain? 1TB? More?

at least 1TB, naturally more would be better but after 500GB the price per meg of hdd's gets a bit prohibitive unless i manage to find some 750's on sale

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin