As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WiiFit: Why Spend $3.19 On A Hula Hoop When You Can Get Wii Fit For $89? - OUT TODAY

• BerenBeren Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Push-ups are kicking my ass.

That is all.

Beren on
    PS4: DarconvillesCat
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think half the positive effect this game can have is simply making you aware of your Weight/BMI on a regular basis. If you at least get on the board and do an exercise or two every day, simply being aware of how your dietary choices and activity levels have an effect on your day to day weight fluctuations will get you thinking more about how each meal/snack/guilty bag of potato chips will affect your weight immediately.

I remember reading a study recently that said people who weigh themselves daily while attempting to lose weight are more successful than people who don't. This kind of daily reinforcement of your progress or lack thereof can only help keep you motivated. And a lot of the games are pretty entertaining while you're at it.

Also, Jesus I'm an out of shape fatty.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Beren wrote: »

That is all.

Me too. I cant get a high score at them at all, but my roomate consistantly 100pts them. And he's not a fitness buff by any means. I wish there was a more cut and dry way to find out if Im doing things CORRECTLY, so I could know if Im scoring low because I suck at push ups (which Im fine with - make me better!) or because I'm just not doing them the way the game wants me to.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have no idea how to 4 star ski jumping. I finally broke 100m and I almost hit the roof. I came crashing back down after I realized that was only worth 2 stars. I really have no idea how to do better.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have no idea how to 4 star ski jumping. I finally broke 100m and I almost hit the roof. I came crashing back down after I realized that was only worth 2 stars. I really have no idea how to do better.

I don't think I've 4 starred it, but I've gotten nearly 400 combined. You clearly want to go as fast as possible (by hitting the dot), jump as close to the edge as possible (you'll fall sometimes), and to hold some pose as long as possible. I haven't yet figured out if center of balance or leaning as far forawrd as possible will yield better results.
    mxmarks wrote: »

That is all.

Me too. I cant get a high score at them at all, but my roomate consistantly 100pts them. And he's not a fitness buff by any means. I wish there was a more cut and dry way to find out if Im doing things CORRECTLY, so I could know if Im scoring low because I suck at push ups (which Im fine with - make me better!) or because I'm just not doing them the way the game wants me to.

I think the points are not only loosely based around your timing, but mostly based around how steady your balance is on the plank (and possibly how equally you apply force for the pushup itself)
    toxk_02 wrote: »
    So I have a question. I've ony played it two nights so far, but when I went to boot it up yesterday, all the credits I accumulated in my bank were gone and the counter was set back at zero. How did I lose them?

Does anyone know enough about how the actual "videogame" aspects work when it comes to unlocking stuff? For instance, if I want to unlock more Yoga poses, do I have to do a lot of the earlier poses, or can I unlock Yoga by doing strength excercises or games?
    First part: click the bank. I believe it displays the credits earned just for the current day, but if you click it you'll see the grand total accumulation.

As for unlockables it goes by net time on all activities - I'm stealing this straight from gamefaqs:
    4 hours 10 mins. - Yoga - Shoulderstand

BWAH?!

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've yet to see WiiFit in the wild. Must be selling pretty good, eh?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • BerenBeren Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »

That is all.

I think the points are not only loosely based around your timing, but mostly based around how steady your balance is on the plank (and possibly how equally you apply force for the pushup itself)
    d[

Yeah. I think so too. After doing it seemingly incorrectly, on my fourth try I managed to get an 89, then managed to collapse in a pitiful heap.

Beren on
    PS4: DarconvillesCat
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've yet to see WiiFit in the wild. Must be selling pretty good, eh?

You need a bait to attract them in your traps.
    Also, it's mating season, that's why they're hidden. You should see many more soon enough, though.

Djiem on
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I can't really get into the training parts of the game. The exercises seem pretty laughable. I do love the balance games though. I stood on the board for about an hour and a half trying to break 400 on the slope. Still not there yet.

The exercises for me are not only fun, but are nice because the trainer tends to explain what you're doing wrong.

Also, because you have to keep your balance in just the right spot it forces you to do the exercises correctly... (or at least in a way that should keep you from hurting yourself)

I tell you what, lunges are a lot more of a pain in the ass than I remember... then again the damned board tracks that you're not putting enough weight forward and tells you to do it correctly or you're a pansy.

I've found that doing the deep breathing is a good way to cool down.

Also, the balance games are harder than they seem, generally. They really make you aware of your center of balance and balance control. Also since I have flat feet they really work the under-used muscles around the inside and outsides of my feet.

The game is fairly genius just for the fact that my girlfriend had been having misc physical problems lately, and I told her potential solutions, and Wii Fit after reading her weight and checking her balance and posture spat out a few things describing the problems she was likely having based on the results (which are the problems she's having) and the same solutions I'd already explained to her. So there was a hell of a lot of thought and research put into this thing.

Also as you go forward it tells you more areas you should focus on and tells you what exercises you should try and do together.

I'm sore as hell right now, and I've been doing it for 3 days. I knew I was out of shape but not THAT out of shape.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It looks like on the ski jump, if you keep your COB in the middle you go further. Because once I hit the top of the ramp at about 66 and I leaned forward (as I've seen them do before) and only ended up with a 86ft range. But I hit the ramp at 50ish and stood in the center, I got 124ish.

urahonky on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've officially hit the point where I regret eating the $5 roast beef sub, because I'm going to do wii fit in an hour and a half, and know it's going to screw up my weight.

Although, it's not like I ate poorly today, so it should all even out in the end.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Djiem wrote: »
    I feel really dirty.
    I just bought it off eBay for more than it's sold in stores.
    I encouraged that horrible resell phenomenon and I paid more than needed.

... I really wanted it.

How much...?

All fees accounted for... double.

AHHH shit man, I would have looked in the stores for you. I'd hate to see an Arcadian get ripped that much :(

You should've gone on Craigslist. The cheap ones are selling for about the price of Wii Fit+tax+shipping, which is around $110. My friend got one for $115.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    edited May 2008
    Dracil wrote: »
    I feel really dirty.
    I just bought it off eBay for more than it's sold in stores.
    I encouraged that horrible resell phenomenon and I paid more than needed.

... I really wanted it.

How much...?

All fees accounted for... double.

AHHH shit man, I would have looked in the stores for you. I'd hate to see an Arcadian get ripped that much :(

You should've gone on Craigslist. The cheap ones are selling for about the price of Wii Fit+tax+shipping, which is around $110. My friend got one for $115.

Well, I'll keep that in mind next time I do something like this. Thanks.

Djiem on
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Various people say that they weight a pound or two less after using WiiFit. That is dehydration. You should be drinking a pint of water for every pound you lose.

jackal on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Not only are there still a ton of WiiFits at my Wal-Mart, there are a few Wiis as well. I took a pic with my cell because I'm sure I wouldn't see it again anytime soon.

UnbreakableVow on
  • dantreedantree Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I realized two things tonight, weighing yourself after going to a brazilian grill (all you can eat meat) for dinner, followed by margaritis is not a good idea. It looks like I ate 3 pounds of said meat, and my balance is shot all to hell.

One cool thing is it tries to help you understand reasons for gaining the weight.

dantree on
    psn: dantree
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    dantree wrote: »
    I realized two things tonight, weighing yourself after going to a brazilian grill (all you can eat meat) for dinner, followed by margaritis is not a good idea. It looks like I ate 3 pounds of said meat, and my balance is shot all to hell.
    Doing Super Hula Hoop after eating is also a terrible idea.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The best way to weigh yourself is in the morning before you eat breakfast.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I anticipate people after a couple of weeks to report a loss of 8-10 pounds after using just Wii Fit. Then I have to explain water retention weight to this people.

MiserableMirth on
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm suprised that WiiFit doesn't tell you to drink water when it notices you have lost weight during a session.

jackal on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just saw a WiiFit commercial between episodes of I Love Lucy.
    This thing is everywhere.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I'm wondering if this has been on Oprah yet, or when it will be.

UnbreakableVow on
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I'm wondering if this has been on Oprah yet, or when it will be.

It was on Ellen this week, but Ellen actually plays and enjoys video games, so I'm not surprised she got it first.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Guek on
  • MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's like people have never taken a BMI test before.

MiserableMirth on
    edited May 2008
    That guy is a bit crazy, isn't he? I wondered why they didn't put the electrode things on there too, but I assumed it would have been too fragile or made the board uncomfortable. It would be nice if you could occasionally put your body fat percentage in so that it could get a better idea of your build and amount of muscle. That guy though, wackadoo!

jackal on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Is that Tube?

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Man, I looked all over the place for this thing today, and couldn't find it anywhere.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Who's crazier, that guy or people that needed Nintendo to tell them to exercise?

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    dantree wrote: »

One cool thing is it tries to help you understand reasons for gaining the weight.

Maybe, but nothing beats having meat brought to you on skewers until your stomach cries out in anguish.

AZChristopher on
    edited May 2008
    Neva wrote: »
    Who's crazier, that guy or people that needed Nintendo to tell them to exercise?

In general, I'd say that guy. Sloth is not a mental illness, and that guy is nuttier than squirrel poop.

jackal on
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Why did he give the price in Euros when he's from London?

Why do people keep saying Wii Fit calls them "fat" when it never uses the word?

Why does a psycho like that have an awesome Wii-room?

How does his scale know how much fat he has?

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
    edited May 2008
    Why did he give the price in Euros when he's from London?

Why do people keep saying Wii Fit calls them "fat" when it never uses the word?

Why does a psycho like that have an awesome Wii-room?

How does his scale know how much fat he has?

He lives in Spain.

Because they are using it as a synonym for "obese."

Because life isn't fair.

Electrodes in the scale allow it to measure your body's conductivity. It is able to calculate your body fat based on the conductivity.

jackal on
  • DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    YEAH

any more questions, question man?

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited May 2008
    So, ok. Muscle is heavier than fat. The Wii Fit doesn't recognize this and may produce innacurate results.
    Time to get pissed off?

Djiem on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, ok. Muscle is heavier than fat. The Wii Fit doesn't recognize this and may produce innacurate results.
    Time to get pissed off?

Hulk-like rampage with your muscle-fat.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Time to get pissed off?

Did it really sound like he was furious? It was supposed to be funny.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My girlfriend's BMI was pretty spot on from what she tested at the doctors (or in class I think she said). She was in the bottom half of "normal". It's kinda funny to look at the "Mii select" screen because everyone's got these giant stomachs, eating sammichs... And there's skinny Ali Cat just sitting there disgusted.

Sorta like real life.

urahonky on
    edited May 2008
    jackal wrote: »
    I'm suprised that WiiFit doesn't tell you to drink water when it notices you have lost weight during a session.
    It tells you to drink water during the Free Step. It might hand that out as a tip.

I drank two bottles of water during it today, because doing thirty minutes of Wii Fit after work is horribly dehydrating business.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited May 2008
    Neva wrote: »
    Time to get pissed off?
    Did it really sound like he was furious? It was supposed to be funny.
    It's five minutes of wasted time. The flaws of BMI are well known. It's regrettable that Nintendo used that as the basis for its progress, but it's not really for people with a fucking gym. If you work out like he does, you probably know what's up with BMI anyways AND already have your own methods of tracking your training progress. Do you need Nintendo to call you skinny?

ALSO: your Wii Fit Age is also based on the balance games. You can lift weights all day, but you can still be terrible at the balance tests. And the game doesn't go only at all. Even if it did, I doubt it'd show your Mii's physical appearance. It already has a password system AND all Miis have the same body in the activities.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png