As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WiiFit: Why Spend $3.19 On A Hula Hoop When You Can Get Wii Fit For $89? - OUT TODAY

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So what could they have used besides BMI without needing specific information that the typical person couldn't be counted on to provide? Doesn't everything else require something besides standing on a scale?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    THIS JUST IN:

MOST PEOPLE KNOW THAT BMI IS A VAGUE INDICATOR AT BEST, AND COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT AT WORST.

CAN THE WII STILL SAVE US FROM OUR FAT SELVES???

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    When it scales you at near morbidly obese when you are in fact not, then that's a pretty big flaw to put in a game about exercising. It was really stupid for Nintendo to use, as there are far more accurate ways to read body fat. I wouldn't really be surprised if someone expected that out of a $90 board.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    what more accurate ways are there that only use height and weight?

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    edited May 2008
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

I was implying modification to the $90 board.

Neva on

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Neva wrote: »

Maybe the modifications they had to make to the board to hold up under the weight of your average American destroyed its accuracy because the internals weren't changed but the weight of the board itself increased a hundred fold.

So when you're not morbidly obese, it freaks out because it honestly expects you to be.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008

such as?

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    They already made the game give you a +5 BMI compared to the Asian version.

i.e. >25 is Obese in the Japanese version but 30 in the US version.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited May 2008

such as?

Such as what a lot of modern scales use now. He brought up his in the video, just as an example.

Neva on

• Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

such as?

Equipping it with a pool, an overhead beam with scale and chair attached, water weight test, of course. That's the only truly accurate method of measuring your body fat. The glaring omission of this simple addition just shows Nintendo's malevolence to all people.

Electronic resistance measurements are bunk.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    jonxp wrote: »

such as?

Equipping it with a pool, an overhead beam with scale and chair attached, water weight test, of course. That's the only truly accurate method of measuring your body fat. The glaring omission of this simple addition just shows Nintendo's malevolence to all people.

Really, each copy of WiiFit should have included a personal trainer who would live in the box until you were ready to be measured and then would give you a proper indication of how fit you were.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    ArcSyn wrote: »

such as?

Really, each copy of WiiFit should have included a personal trainer who would live in the box until you were ready to be measured and then would give you a proper indication of how fit you were.

Or not call you obese when you are not obese.

Neva on

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    You don't fucking need the measuring part of Wii Fit if you're so fit the game is calling you fat. As far as it's concerned, you're way too fit. You've gone plaid.

Maybe I should stop using Wii Fit, because I'm afraid that I might actually lose weight and suddenly become incredibly sensitive to what video games call me.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ArcSyn wrote: »

such as?

Or not call you obese when you are not obese.

But that's what makes it so great!
    We need to call many, many more people obese, even if they are not.

Djiem on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I see a lot of people complaining about BMI, but I read somewhere that you can set the game to just use weight instead of BMI. Isn't that true?

Peewi on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    I see a lot of people complaining about BMI, but I read somewhere that you can set the game to just use weight instead of BMI. Isn't that true?

It'll always tell you your BMI, but you can always hit a button and just look at your weight instead. Now, if it thinks you're obese, it'll still play the sad music and plump up your Mii every time you weigh yourself. I think that's a bit odd, considering that through most of the game it tries to be encouraging and your trainer is always telling you to "imagine your ideal body".

Perhaps we need the following:

Wii Fit System Requirements:

Nintendo Wii
    Television
    Balance Board
    A Modicum of Self-Esteem So You Do Not Become Overly Upset By Your Lard-Arse Mii

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I haven't double checked my math, but it looks like someone could just add or subtract 5% to their height to adjust for frame size (assuming +-10% weight for their frames). To get it more accurate you would need to measure your wrist in comparison to your height. This would help people with large or small frames, but still do nothing for people who have an unusual amount of muscle.

Someone could probably create a formula taking height, weight, body fat percent, and wrist size to create a "WiiFit height" that would actually give you accurate results.

jackal on
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    jackal wrote: »
    I'm suprised that WiiFit doesn't tell you to drink water when it notices you have lost weight during a session.
    It tells you to drink water during the Free Step. It might hand that out as a tip.

I drank two bottles of water during it today, because doing thirty minutes of Wii Fit after work is horribly dehydrating business.

If you've been running Wii Fit for an hour, it tells you to take a 10-15 minute break abd drink plenty of water. Jackal just isn't using it for long enough in a session. :P

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Raybies666 wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I'm suprised that WiiFit doesn't tell you to drink water when it notices you have lost weight during a session.
    It tells you to drink water during the Free Step. It might hand that out as a tip.

I drank two bottles of water during it today, because doing thirty minutes of Wii Fit after work is horribly dehydrating business.

If you've been running Wii Fit for an hour, it tells you to take a 10-15 minute break abd drink plenty of water. Jackal just isn't using it for long enough in a session. :P

Yeah, I tend to use it at least 30 minutes but not past 45. I was thinking more along the lines of it giving you a notice to drink 8 oz of water every time you drop half a pound. If you actually do something that gets you sweating an hour is way too long to go without drinking.

jackal on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    it's a rough world when people need to be reminded they need water in their system.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    scootch wrote: »
    it's a rough world when people need to be reminded they need water in their system.

People who are new to exercising tend to not drink enough. They wait until they are actually dehydrated before drinking water, and that is a bad thing.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, I don't know why people are harping about water retention. I just did a Body Test saying I lost two pounds, and the game said that, based on yesterday's results, it was less exercise and more natural fluctuations in the body. It also told me to drink. Again.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm actually very impressed with how quickly the balance aspect of WiiFit has an effect. It makes you very quickly aware of how you're standing. I'm overweight, and I work at a job that has me on my feet and walking all day, and my back and feet often end up aching. However, within a couple days, of just paying attention to how i'm standing at work and correcting to take my weight off my heels and such, I found the ache noticeably lessened, which I definitely didn't expect.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Damn, the 6 minute boxing is rough.

jackal on
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Any way to build a playlist at some point? I'm getting tired of having to fetch the wiimote everytime I start an exercise.

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Damn, the 6 minute boxing is rough.

Just wait until you get
    SUPER ADVANCED!
    10 minutes of YOUR FIGHT AGAINST FAT!
    no, really

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    Any way to build a playlist at some point? I'm getting tired of having to fetch the wiimote everytime I start an exercise.

You're tired of an exercise game making you exercise?

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I glossed over the manual, and OH GUESS WHAT: it tells both people who are under 20 years old AND muscular people that their BMIs will not be accurate.

Case closed. File it under RTFM.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SoshiKitaiSoshiKitai Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've been playing the game since the day it came out.
    Me and my gf have been waiting for the game since they've first sent news out.

I'm one of the few people that KNEW 100% that the game would do wonders in the US. (Lots of gamers scoffed at the idea... now look how wrong they are)

The final judgement from me? : Good for balance, but too easy on me.
    Other than calling fit people obese (of which, btw, it says in the manual that the BMI could be inaccurate)... the game is very encouraging and friendly. Which is wonderful and nice, but sometimes I need the game to FORCE me to try the higher amounts.

I do every exercise and game. My average is 1hr 5min per day.
    Buuut... I only do the lowest amount needed for each exercise (except for the jogging... I always pick the longest one, and chase the fastest puppy).
    However, I'm SUPPOSED TO (by self-discipline) kick it up a notch today.
    I was supposed to kick it up a notch yesterday, but I really wanted to play the balance games soon.

Favorite yoga: Palm Tree
    Favorite strength: Jack-knives
    Favorite aerobics: Running
    Favorite game: Bubble

Average WiiFit Age: 23
    Actual Age: 20
    BMI Weight: Overweight
    Accurate? : Pretty much. :P

Have I noticed a difference in my body?
    I've definitely become more aware of my balance.
    My posture's been the same even before I started the game (I forced myself to have a straight posture since the 8th grade), but balance-wise... knowing where to put pressure on which part of my body... it's amazing! Everytime I'm reaching for something, or falling over, or twisting around something - - I know exactly how to keep myself from falling over.
    Body-wise? I honestly fluctuate in weight constantly. I could be 3 pounds lighter one hour, then be 8 pounds heavier after having a meal, then suddenly lose 7 pounds after 2 hours. My metabolism goes into overdrive naturally.
    So... I can't really tell whether or not if WiiFit is helping me get fit.
    Especially since: Everytime I exercise A LOT in a day: I GORGE on food. :lol: It's just what I do.
    I also don't like exercising on an empty stomach, so my weight on WiiFit is rather inaccurate compared to my average weight.
    I do notice that I have to go to the restroom more often nowadays. :lol: I suppose it's forcing my digestive systems to incinerate the fat.

One thing I find most interesting in WiiFit: The snowboarding. In all-honesty, WiiFit wasn't that spectacular to me when I first tried it... the jogging was nice, the hoolahoops were fun, the skiing was fun, and the exercises were definitely fun to do... but... nothing really popped out about it. It just seemed like a "meh" addition to the game.
    But when I tried the snowboarding... a spark went in my head that said "HERE WE GO! THIS is how the balance board should be used!"... I guess I was just tired of the "left and right" application. I wanted more variety to the movements, and the idea of flipping the board to one side just seemed so interesting to me. ...though the Bubble game's balance-to-movement was definitely entertaining.

One thing I hope from WiiFit: The yogas better be doing what I hope they promised to be doing! :P

One thing I hope from the Balance Board: Police 911, anyone?

Mei Hikari wrote: »

The only cure for this problem is either putting a small end-table near you, or putting it in your pocket... or even leaving it on the floor next to you.

SoshiKitai on
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I incorporate the Wiimote into my exercises, or if my wife is around I'll haver her control it for me.... As a family entertaining thing having the family member control the controller is handy...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    SoshiKitai wrote: »
    One thing I hope from the Balance Board: Police 911, anyone?

I was about to say that that wouldn't work, since the Wii doesn't have a camera*, but you're right.. the balance board would be able to tell when you're ducking quite easily.

* save the one in the end of the Wiimote, but you use that elsewhere.
    YEAH

any more questions, question man?

My rhetoric, it is deflated!

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've been up here in Georgia with the wife and her family again and I brought Wii Fit, with nothing better to do I've been using it for a very long time, and sincerely enjoy the Rythm Boxing, however, between that, the Wii Sports Baseball, bowling, tennis..... My arms are killing me.....

I must say, Wii Fit is a workout and a half....

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah I think Rhythm Boxing is my favorite. It's definitely a work out.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I really loved Boxing too. That, and while awesomely controlled, Snowboarding is so much harder than Skiing, good lord.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    SAW776 wrote: »
    I really loved Boxing too. That, and while awesomely controlled, Snowboarding is so much harder than Skiing, good lord.

The first time I played Snowboarding I turned the pad the wrong direction. Now that was hard.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Dear gods and goddesses... I seriously thought I could do all the Wii exercises on Advanced Mode...

I barely just got through 1 hour and I'm tired as hell!
    I didn't even get to do the aerobics or the balance games yet!
    That stupid Yoga Shoulder-Stand did me in! A sudden snap and strain went through my entire body, and BOOM! I was down on the ground chanting "I can't do this anymore!" ...

At least I got through the Strength Exercises through Advanced... I did what I promised myself I'd do! ...but damn... my arms.......... fuck...........

SoshiKitai on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Out of interest, how do you do the should stand? I can't imagine doing it with the balance board without it being incredibly painful.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    Out of interest, how do you do the should stand? I can't imagine doing it with the balance board without it being incredibly painful.

I'm wondering the same thing. I love all the yoga poses so far.. but thaat one sorta worries me.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Later on you start to use the Balance Board less... meaning: "New"er yoga poses don't require the balance board... first it just goes to wiimote, then none at all.

It's just a choice, really. Like a simple yoga instructional video, without any measurements at all.

So yeah: You don't use the Balance Board or Wiimote for the exercise... if you do it, you're your own judge.

But you know what's hard with the Balance Board?
    The Balance game that makes you sit-down lotus-style... yeah, I don't know how the hell to do that without seeming awkward.

SoshiKitai on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    SoshiKitai wrote: »
    Later on you start to use the Balance Board less... meaning: "New"er yoga poses don't require the balance board... first it just goes to wiimote, then none at all.

It's just a choice, really. Like a simple yoga instructional video, without any measurements at all.

So yeah: You don't use the Balance Board or Wiimote for the exercise... if you do it, you're your own judge.

But you know what's hard with the Balance Board?
    The Balance game that makes you sit-down lotus-style... yeah, I don't know how the hell to do that without seeming awkward.

I think it says that you only need to put your bottom on the board, you can lay your feet in front of the board. By the way, does anyone else think that game is really hard? I always get no further than 50 seconds or so :S

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png