As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's My Thread And I'll [chat] If I Want To

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Choco I think we need to talk about your av....

Yes.

_J_ on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    _J_ wrote: »
    jeepguy wrote: »
    so your downloads are monitered or stupidly slow then?

This particular computer I am using is separate from the unclass LAN, and therefore not monitored from this end. However, a great many websites are blocked, and I don't know if the Navy uses some software to monitor the requested sites for this particular system I am using (it's likely they do). But the real issue is the bandwidth (slower than dial-up) and the fact that I'm not alone here in the radio room. Sure, I can hack out a forum post or an email without worrying too much about someone reading over my shoulder, but someone need only glance to see nudity and such. Also, there is no (permissible) way to transfer files from this system to my laptop. It would be one thing to get caught with naughty gay pr0n and dismissed from Naval service, and a whole other worse thing to get caught transfering files from this rig to my personal computer (re: prison).

There's also no way for me to actually go out and get laid when we're on liberty because the Navy doesn' allow sailors to be by themselves in port (we are treated like small children at all times) they call it the "buddy system" but it's really just a very short, very tight leash.

But there are benefits...right?

Some people enjoy military life. I, not being one of them, have difficulty pointing out any benefits. This particular command which I am a visitor to for this deployment, has especially bad morale, and a very, very negative and unprofessional work environment, so the number of people enjoying themselves here right now is slim. I've heard that there are "good" submarine commands, where things are not so sucky all the time. I think these stories are likely apocryphal however.

I had the opportunity to spend a week on a frigate (The USS Doyle) while it was in port in Cameroon and I can say with some confidence that the surface fleet enjoys a much better quality of life than the submarine force.

Also, the "bonus" pay for sub duty is a paltry $80 a month, not worth it at all.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is an intervention

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yay tomorrow I am going to the comic book store.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I should buy more comics

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I knew a guy who pretty much quit as soon as they crammed him into a sub.

But hey, no camel spiders.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just wanted to pop in and say that you guys' hot teacher fantasies are like 5 degrees of lame, not to mention cliche :P Now I'm off to play Sims. Stay out of trouble!

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just wanted to pop in and say that you guys' hot teacher fantasies are like 5 degrees of lame, not to mention cliche :P Now I'm off to play Sims. Stay out of trouble!
    They're not just hot teacher fantasies! They're not teaching fantasies.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I just wanted to pop in and say that you guys' hot teacher fantasies are like 5 degrees of lame, not to mention cliche :P

I like big brains and I cannot lie.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Alright, I have to go request permission to vacuum a fucking filter. :roll:

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    fucking christ i drank way too much. i shouldn have let my friends leave i shouldnt have broughtout the axis and allies

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    _J_ wrote: »
    so your downloads are monitered or stupidly slow then?

This particular computer I am using is separate from the unclass LAN, and therefore not monitored from this end. However, a great many websites are blocked, and I don't know if the Navy uses some software to monitor the requested sites for this particular system I am using (it's likely they do). But the real issue is the bandwidth (slower than dial-up) and the fact that I'm not alone here in the radio room. Sure, I can hack out a forum post or an email without worrying too much about someone reading over my shoulder, but someone need only glance to see nudity and such. Also, there is no (permissible) way to transfer files from this system to my laptop. It would be one thing to get caught with naughty gay pr0n and dismissed from Naval service, and a whole other worse thing to get caught transfering files from this rig to my personal computer (re: prison).

There's also no way for me to actually go out and get laid when we're on liberty because the Navy doesn' allow sailors to be by themselves in port (we are treated like small children at all times) they call it the "buddy system" but it's really just a very short, very tight leash.

But there are benefits...right?

Some people enjoy military life. I, not being one of them, have difficulty pointing out any benefits. This particular command which I am a visitor to for this deployment, has especially bad morale, and a very, very negative and unprofessional work environment, so the number of people enjoying themselves here right now is slim. I've heard that there are "good" submarine commands, where things are not so sucky all the time. I think these stories are likely apocryphal however.

I had the opportunity to spend a week on a frigate (The USS Doyle) while it was in port in Cameroon and I can say with some confidence that the surface fleet enjoys a much better quality of life than the submarine force.

Also, the "bonus" pay for sub duty is a paltry $80 a month, not worth it at all.

I am sorry. :( If you have to be on a submarine it ought to not suck.

Why are you on a submarine if you do not enjoy it?

_J_ on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh, also, stilist wins with a My Fair Lady reference. <3

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007

My hot-teacher fantasies are not lame. And I'm not sharing them, you can all get your own non-lame fantasies.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just wanted to pop in and say that Sims are like 5 degrees of lame, not to mention cliche :P Now I'm off to play your guys' hot teacher fantasies. Stay out of trouble!

Smasher on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    So, my $4000 with which to build a new life has already plummeted to $3000 because I was ineligible to apply for deferments/forebearance on my $20,000 of loans until I was no longer delinquent. Unfortunately, now I need to wait for the approval process, which means I need to pay out another collective $200 to avoid slipping into delinquency again, and drive myself further towards bankruptcy and farther away from being able to get myself out of this situation.

I don't understand.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I had part of my toenail removed today. I am not going into work tomorrow.

My big left toe has doubled in size (at least, it looks that way) thanks to the dressing they've wrapped around it. I have to get myself to the clinic tomorrow sometime to change the dressing and so they can look at it to make sure everything is going the way it should.

How is everyone else?

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oboro wrote: »
    So, my $4000 with which to build a new life has already plummeted to $3000 because I was ineligible to apply for deferments/forebearance on my $20,000 of loans until I was no longer delinquent. Unfortunately, now I need to wait for the approval process, which means I need to pay out another collective $200 to avoid slipping into delinquency again, and drive myself further towards bankruptcy and farther away from being able to get myself out of this situation.

I don't understand.

the less money you have the more money they start demanding from you

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Tired and cranky and feeling a little ill

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I don't understand.

An unsubsidized loan of $17,352 taken at the start of my educational career has since ballooned to $18,525-- this is after I settled my delinquency by paying $600, which brought the effective principal down from $18,551.

My $600 is worth $26 stacked against their interest. It's just not possible for me to resolve this. Bankruptcy is more or less an inevitability, no matter how I figure it, but I can't declare bankruptcy right now because this is still tethered to my family at certain places because my father is a conniving man and wanted tax breaks himself. If I declare bankruptcy, it's their failing assets that suffer-- not mine.

So. They've fucked me over again.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    LaOs wrote: »

My big left toe has doubled in size (at least, it looks that way) thanks to the dressing they've wrapped around it. I have to get myself to the clinic tomorrow sometime to change the dressing and so they can look at it to make sure everything is going the way it should.

How is everyone else?

ingrow toenail? i had a lot of those when i was a kid. i only have like six toenails all together now.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Seriously, I don't know what to do. My desk is covered in paperwork from all of my creditors but I can't even look at it, I lose my appetite and just feel sick. I'm completely and utterly overwhelmed. My appetite fluctuates between binging and being healthy, which I guess is still fine because my goal is to put on weight in preparation for my next 10-month stint of semi-homelessness. I don't know. I have too many things to do. I can't juggle all of this on my own, it gets so goddamn hard.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I don't understand.

An unsubsidized loan of $17,352 taken at the start of my educational career has since ballooned to $18,525-- this is after I settled my delinquency by paying $600, which brought the effective principal down from $18,551.

My $600 is worth $26 stacked against their interest. It's just not possible for me to resolve this. Bankruptcy is more or less an inevitability, no matter how I figure it, but I can't declare bankruptcy right now because this is still tethered to my family at certain places because my father is a conniving man and wanted tax breaks himself. If I declare bankruptcy, it's their failing assets that suffer-- not mine.

So. They've fucked me over again.

Christ, thats really rough. credit systems are built to fuck the creditors in any case, but christ.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    LaOs wrote: »

How is everyone else?

ingrow toenail? i had a lot of those when i was a kid. i only have like six toenails all together now.

That's what it was. It was getting really messy and gross, so it was time to get it cut. Hopefully I won't have to deal with it anymore after it's done the healing. The ridiculously large dressing is funny, though.

I almost wish they would have just cauterised the wound like they did at another hospital in the province for my roomie a couple years ago when she was a camp counsellor.

LaOs on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This post is basically so I can get the blue dot on this thread so I can spot it more easily.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This post is basically so I can get the blue dot on this thread so I can spot it more easily.

Also Report'd!

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oro: Have you tried any of those "non-profits" that supposedly shrink and consolodate your debt?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Also Report'd!

Man, why you gotta be like that?

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Oro: Have you tried any of those "non-profits" that supposedly shrink and consolodate your debt?
    It's already consolidated as much as it can be-- you can't consolidate federal and private loans except under a federal provider, and the private loan has been isolated to the point where it totals a measly $1,350. I could theoretically pay that one off, but then I have no money with which to get on with my life and eventually I will just die. I don't know how to cope with that reality. I don't know what to do with any of this, honestly.

The federal rate of 9.680% is actually a damn-good rate that can't be beat, it's just that when it's tacked onto a principal of $18,500 it remains insurmountable.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hey Jeeps, welcome back. And thank you for saving the world from undersea Godzilla.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Also Report'd!

Man, why you gotta be like that?

It's cuz I <3 CT too much.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    How can I ke)

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The federal rate of 9.680% is actually a damn-good rate that can't be beat, it's just that when it's tacked onto a principal of $18,500 it remains insurmountable.

There's also some kind of... loan auction website or something I read about recently, with private individuals giving out loans.

I have no idea of how wise it is to use though.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    (ep playing this over and over?

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Gooey: :^:

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    That was really cool, Gooey.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The video of the guy beating it in like 38 minutes is nuts!

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    Gooey: :^:

Yeah, gooey, that was awesome. I haven't even played the game and I knew it was awesome. So awesome, I'll use your preferred lower-case name from now on.

LaOs on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

18, unless you're talking about a different one.
    The box-climbing glitch seems too much like an exploit to me for me to really like it, but he only used it once where it actually mattered, so I can let it slide.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Smasher wrote: »

18, unless you're talking about a different one.
    The box-climbing glitch seems too much like an exploit to me for me to really like it, but he only used it once where it actually mattered, so I can let it slide.

There's two parts to it. And agreed on the spoiler.

but:
    He used a different glitch near the end to bypass about 3-4 minutes. Might wanna watch part two.

Unearthly Stew on
This discussion has been closed.