As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So I have a PS2...now what?

maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what?New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
So this post originally started as me going "Holy shit I just nabbed a free PS2, recommend games!" but has since taken a nasty turn.

Well, basically at work today they were throwing away the old PS2 playable kiosk, and while I originally was going to take the entire thing home, I just decided to salvage the PS2 out of it. It was giving Disc Read Errors, and after reading up on how simple the thing is to tweak, I figured, hey, no problem.

Nope. Turns out the whole drive is shot. The disc can spin, but the motor that drives the laser up and down the track seems to have gone bye bye.

So now I have a couple of choices. I can replace the drive in it myself, I can bring it somewhere to be repaired, or, I can just cut my losses and sell the thing on eBay for parts or trade it in for store credit.

I'm curious as to everyone's suggestion, regardless I may try to find the time tomorrow to drop by a local used game shop that repairs consoles (Or at least, they used to when they fixed my DC 3 or 4 years ago, they may have stopped since.) to get a price.

In the end, however, I may just sell off the damn thing being that I'm having a hard enough time keeping up with a DS/PSP/Wii, and I don't need to be starting a whole 'nuther library.

Thoughts?

FU7kFbw.png
Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
maximumzero on

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    PS2s die easily enough as it is. If this one's already shot, I'd say cut your losses and just get the real thing.

And considering it has a few dozen exclusive awesome games, it's a library worth having.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You should have taken the whole kiosk, if you have room. It might not be so amusing and/or valuable now, but it will be in 10-15 years.

Saddler on
  • Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Can you even trade in a broken PS2 for store credit?

As for what you should do, it depends on whether or not the PS2 library interests you. I just got a used PS2, myself. Frankly, the console/library is overrated. For as many games as the PS2 has, the gold:crap ratio just isn't high enough. That's not to say it doesn't have a lot of great titles, but it doesn't have THAT many depending on your preferences.

Shadow of the Colossus is the best game on the console. MGS2/3 have aged fairly poorly from a gameplay standpoint; they are still solid titles worth playing if you're interested in the series, and they both have held up quite well graphically.Shadow of Rome is a pretty good exclusive. You've got lots of Burnouts. Pretty nice selection of 2D and 3D fighters. Resident Evil Outbreak is interesting for die hard RE fans, though the File #2 servers were shutdown. People rave about GoW/II, but I didn't find them all that interesting. Final Fantasy X and XII are there if you're a fan. I don't think GT4 is worth owning unless you can splurge on a FF wheel. There's also Devil May Cry/3 if that's your sort of thing.

Games that look interesting/good/different that I haven't tried yet: ICO, Godhand, Killer7, Katamris, Ace Combats

If you really want to catch up on the PS2 library, just wait and see if that rumor about a new model is true and maybe pick one up then.

Tzen on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I thought that rumor got confirmed. New model, the adapter is now inside the unit itself, so no bulky plug. $99 price tag I believe, comes out in the spring.

And yeah, it's all about the library. I've been thinking of picking a PS2 up for about a year now, but I'm back and forth on whether there's enough games I like on it to justify the cost. I'm not a big console gamer usually.

As a note, Ace Combat games are a hell of alot of fun if you like that thing. It's an arcadey air combat game.

shryke on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It seems like trying to fix it would be more bother than it's worth. Just go and buy a new PS2 for $100 if you want one.

As to whether or not you should pick up a PS2 that really depends on what kind of games you like. True, the PS2 has a little something for everyone and there are a ton of high quality games for cheap these days, but someone who loves console RPGs (probably the PS2's strongest area with tons of high quality exclusives) is going to get a lot more out of a PS2 than someone who likes FPS, racing games, and sports games (there's not much on the PS2 that they couldn't get a better version of on say the 360).

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The PS2 is awesome and cheap
    buy a new one.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LaredenLareden Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, go buy a slim one. The PS2 has the best lineup of any console. It still beats 7th gen. And the graphics look pretty darn good. If I was forced to pick only one console of all the consoles ever created, it would be PS2. Well, actually I guess PS3 since it plays PS2 games anyways.
    The PS2 isn't prone to failure, but some models did have a tendency to wear out after lots and lots of use.

Lareden on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HylianZoraHylianZora Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sacrifice the PS2 to Masahiro Sakurai, which should raise his motivation bar enough to get Brawl to us next week.

HylianZora on
    My Pokemon Diamond FC is 4253 0208 2286
    believe2.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Saddler wrote: »
    You should have taken the whole kiosk, if you have room. It might not be so amusing and/or valuable now, but it will be in 10-15 years.

I really wanted to, but it was a combination of it not fitting in my car (I'd have to borrow my father's truck and he'd probably refuse to bring home such a thing.) and the fact that it was pretty unkempt looking.

Not to mention I wouldn't have had a key to open the damn thing.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop