Cat in the [chat]

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    _J_ wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Reality is a constant _J_. We have no way to alter it. We just work with in the confines of the system, that's just how the world is.

Right. Within any context one must accept the context and exist within it. When one plays WoW one is subject to the rules of WoW.

But we can leave WoW and find a greater context.

So what of the context beyond reality, the unbounded context without limits?

Alternative:
    The confines of the system of reality suck ass. Why bother subjecting one's self to those confines for 60+ years?

Why not?

Because if one played a game one did not enjoy one's fellow players would suggest that the individual find another game or another system that better suits their particular interests or desires.

presumably that rule ought to hold true for reality itself.

So go find a gun and reroll.

MKR on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man, reading all this Beowulf is really making me get quite the itch for that Conan MMO. But MMOs are bad...

Maybe I'm just happy because I look at philosophy and see a bunch of men with scholars caps on in one huge circle jerk.

I just take solace in the fact that philosophers base their worldview and understanding of existence in the broadest based truths meanwhile actual people tend to stick with the narrower depths of reality and doing worthwhile things.

moniker on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    J, the silly people who enjoy life are enjoying it more, and that ain't so bad. I'd rather be silly and happy than serious and miserable.

As far as perspective goes, people see and interpret things differently - that's perspective. As such, it is rare to find someone who views something exactly the same as you. Finding someone who looks at life, in all of its aspects, exactly the same, would be impossible. You could say we all exist in separate realities, experiencing the world as it is through lenses stained by bias. My reality is different than yours, maybe not in large ways, but because of how I experience and view life it sounds like I enjoy it more than you do.

Do you think your view of life is the correct one? If so, would you rather be right than happy? If you would rather be right than happy, if life is basically pointless than the consequences of being right don't truly matter, so what's the point in clinging to being correct?

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    suilimeA wrote: »
    You know, J, even Nietzsche claimed to think life was pretty rad. He just didn't like most of the people in it.

Exactly.

It's not that reality sucks, it's just that most people suck.

But there are non-suck people, so who cares.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I like how I can recognize that existence is ultimately meaningless, and not care.

MKR on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    See, J, you and I just disagree on one huge, key point here.

You think the confines of this reality suck.

I think they are kicking rad.

You can't be A and ~A at the same time and in the same way.
    Your life has no save points. You cannot go back to a point before you made a decision and remake it.
    You are subject to the rules others have created, a system of government and society which exists and is enforced completely independent of your own personal views.
    Other people live their lives independent of your judgement and persuasions. Persons whose company you desire can ignore your desires and requests. You can be ignored and forgotten.
    You are mortal. Your abilities are limited.

Yeah. AWESOME.

_J_ on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    _J_, you are looking at nihilism the wrong way.

The world sucks, people suck, yadda yadda yadda.

But there are kitties.

For J, I think you could combine the two.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    High five MKR, high-five!

And exactly jewcar. It's about finding non-suck people and surrounding yourself with them.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    J, you don't really have the right to ask for an alternative. Especially a better one.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The primary flaw of nihilist posers is that they claim to recognize that existence is meaningless but they SEEK meaning rather than embracing the truth.

It's like becoming an atheist and then bitching because you want to meet God.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    See, J, you and I just disagree on one huge, key point here.

You think the confines of this reality suck.

I think they are kicking rad.

You can't be A and ~A at the same time and in the same way.
    Your life has no save points. You cannot go back to a point before you made a decision and remake it.
    You are subject to the rules others have created, a system of government and society which exists and is enforced completely independent of your own personal views.
    Other people live their lives independent of your judgement and persuasions. Persons whose company you desire can ignore your desires and requests. You can be ignored and forgotten.
    You are mortal. Your abilities are limited.

Yeah. AWESOME.

Sounds good to me.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    J, you don't really have the right to ask for an alternative. Especially a better one.

Why not?

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The primary flaw of nihilist posers is that they claim to recognize that existence is meaningless but they SEEK meaning rather than embracing the truth.

Or being an existentialist who's always planning.

moniker on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Things have taken a turn for the philosophical, and I don't like it.

Levity, we need some fucking levity, I need some fucking levity. What good are you if you can't make me not hate life?

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

atheists are dumb.

Recognizing that existence is meaningless and then living within that existence is something I don't seem to be capable of doing.

_J_ on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    adorable-kitten.jpg
    HAY GUYZ WUTS UP?

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Why not?

Because I said so.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Levity, we need some fucking levity, I need some fucking levity. What good are you if you can't make me not hate life?

You know what's really good?

Men's pocky and a cup of orange juice.

Mmmmmm.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My cat is in heat and won't shut up.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

atheists are dumb.

Recognizing that existence is meaningless and then living within that existence is something I don't seem to be capable of doing.

You must be the life of parties.

MKR on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I don't know if you've seen X-Files, but that cat is pretty much certainly possessed by an evil alien.

Edit: Man it is so easy to be an atheist and not be depressed.

Step one: It was all... an accident?

Step two: Fucking lucked out, didn't I?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited November 2007

atheists are dumb.

And that particular failing of yours makes atheists dumb how?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    Or being an existentialist who's always planning.

Or a solipsist who complains.

--

Also: No human in history has reached their full potential, so it's silly to bitch about the limits of said potential.

Because having potential and reaching it is meaningless.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

atheists are dumb.

That's rather sad.

moniker on
  • Options
    ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I like nihilism. But only if it's done properly. I hate it when it's manifested in angsty teenagers.

000014.html

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007

Mmmmmm.

That does sound delicious based on what I know about pocky, but what the fuck is "men's" pocky?

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Fuck it.

With a q-tip.

In it's cat vagina.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I considered spending time writing up a post that validates existence, even with no point. Then I said "that would be pointless."

MKR on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm in the mood for something like Fear and Loathing, but which is not actually Fear and Loathing. What should I add and bump up in my Netflix queue, [chat]?

moniker on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Fuck it.

With a q-tip.

In it's cat vagina.
    Yeah, I am in no fucking way doing that.
    Jesus christ, ew.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Mmmmmm.

That does sound delicious based on what I know about pocky, but what the fuck is "men's" pocky?

Pocky dipped in dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

atheists are dumb.

And that particular failing of yours makes atheists dumb how?

It's not a failing of mine. Atheists claim to have proven a universal negative, or to embrace the truth of a universal negative.

And that's retarded.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm in the mood for something like Fear and Loathing, but which is not actually Fear and Loathing. What should I add and bump up in my Netflix queue, [chat]?

You could always read some books by Mr. Thompson.

Not sure what other movies fit that bill, to be honest.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Trepidation and Distaste?

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Jesus christ, ew.

I'm pretty sure your cat would murder you for it anyways.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Why not?

You didn't choose to enter into this reality. Your existence, in any form and reality, is a gift. You've been given the option of enjoying or mourning this gift. What you have chosen is the latter, and that is your own fault. That Inquisitor can exist in the same world and enjoy his existence is testament to the ability to like this plain of existence. MKR is an example of how someone can acknowledge how life is meaningless and still like it; you could still look at life a different way, or try to be more positive. You choose not to, and so you are responsible for how terrible your reality is. You have brought this on yourself.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Fuck it.

With a q-tip.

In it's cat vagina.
    Jesus christ, ew.

Your repulsion to fucking your cat with a Q-tip is akin to my repulsion at the prospect of accepting reality as somehow useful or good or meaningful or enjoyable.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Trepidation and Distaste?

Not enough drugs and/or Spiderman.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It's not a failing of mine. Atheists claim to have proven a universal negative, or to embrace the truth of a universal negative.

And that's retarded.

See, now you're just flat out stating falsehoods.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

And that's retarded.

No see, atheists just claim there is no God.

Anything more then that specific opinion can differ from atheist to atheist.

Inquisitor on
This discussion has been closed.