As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wii DRE?

TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
I JUST got a Wii this week from Play-Asia. Everything has been awesome up till now. It's a new American Wii system. I live in Korea and had to import. This was not cheap.

I've been playing Wii Sports for the past week and enjoying Baseball and Tennis. Boxing and Bowling get occasional love.

Today I fire it up to play Wii Golf for the first time. Disc Read Error. I try a few more times to play Wii Golf. ONCE it gets to the Wii Golf menu, then when I choose the course, it DREs. I try all the other Wii Sports games. No problems. I try training mode. Wii Golf gives me another DRE.

What the hell?

What's my recourse? Return it to Play-Asia? Send it to Nintendo? I've already spent money on the virtual console. (3000 points bought, but only 2500 spent.) I really, REALLY don't want to spend cash shipping this console to the United States to get it fixed.

(If a mod wants to move this to the Help and Advice subform, I'm fine with that.)

History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
Torgo on

• Options
    12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Are you sure it's not a problem with the disc?

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I checked the disc first. It's as spotless as can be expected. It's only been taken out of the console before this a few times and placed immediately in a case to protect it. I've used a soft cotton wipe as they have suggested. There is a tiny scratch towards the outside edge (maybe 2-3 millimeters, not deep either), but it's otherwise flawless. If I try to clean it any more, it would get dirtier.

ALL the other games load immediately. Wii Golf fails at each menu. It does a DRE after I assign player and go to the "Golf" game, then, If I eject and put it back in, I can choose course, get another DRE, then the game loads correctly and I can finish a round.

None of the other sports are affected. What the heck?

My other game (Zack and Wiki) seems to work fine, as does the rest of the games. Weird.

Torgo on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Torgo wrote: »
    I checked the disc first. It's as spotless as can be expected. It's only been taken out of the console before this a few times and placed immediately in a case to protect it. I've used a soft cotton wipe as they have suggested. There is a tiny scratch towards the outside edge (maybe 2-3 millimeters, not deep either), but it's otherwise flawless. If I try to clean it any more, it would get dirtier.

ALL the other games load immediately. Wii Golf fails at each menu. It does a DRE after I assign player and go to the "Golf" game, then, If I eject and put it back in, I can choose course, get another DRE, then the game loads correctly and I can finish a round.

None of the other sports are affected. What the heck?

My other game (Zack and Wiki) seems to work fine, as does the rest of the games. Weird.

Sounds like a disc pressing defect. It doesn't need to be scratched to be broken. Find an American friend to pretend to be you and Nintendo will send them a replacement disc for free. They can then send it off to you.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm sure if you asked nicely somebody on the boards wouldn't mind doing it, even.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, it definitely sounds like Wii Sports.

Zek on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've never even heard of DRE problems with the Wii. When you see DRE in the thread title, it's usually followed by "PS2" ;-)

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Sounds like a disc pressing defect. It doesn't need to be scratched to be broken. Find an American friend to pretend to be you and Nintendo will send them a replacement disc for free. They can then send it off to you.

Thanks for the advice. I'll contact a friend and see if I can get this done. Is there a warranty period for this kind of thing, or can I do this after I get Brawl so I won't be stuck with only one game for a while?

Torgo on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I had the exact same issue as you Torgo, I cleaned it a few times and left it out of the console (in it's slim case) for a while, and when I put it back in about a week or so later... It worked fine. Still has scratches, but it works... I don't know what it is.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    I had the exact same issue as you Torgo, I cleaned it a few times and left it out of the console (in it's slim case) for a while, and when I put it back in about a week or so later... It worked fine. Still has scratches, but it works... I don't know what it is.

The plot thickens! The only problem with the whole "send it around the world to be fixed" issue is that it would cost as much as a full game to get back once I paid shipping. I'm stuck with "living with it" for the moment since it's an isolated issue at the moment. If Zack and Wiki starts DREs, I'll raise hell.

Torgo on