As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What program makes MS Word work?

Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
I recentley had to disable all my startup services (aside from the microsoft ones) so I could free up some memory. This works fine as I'v had no problems running any programs when I load up my computer with only microsoft services running, but for some reason, in this state, I cannot get Microsoft Word to work. The solution is to re-enable what I think helps it run and then restart the computer, then MS Word runs fine, but these re-enabled programs once again slow down my system. Here is what I can enable to run at startup. What one/s do I need to make sure are running so I can use MSWord?

page1.jpg

page2.jpg

tf2_sig.png
Hotlead Junkie on

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Are you sure you're spyware free? You shouldn't need any of those services to run MS Word... In fact, a general rule of thumb I had with XP was to disable all startup programs. "Launcher" utilities don't really provide that much of a benefit.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Um, I'd recommend working your services through services.msc not through msconfig because you can seriously royally screw up your system through it very easily (uncheck all buttons are the devil), plus you can actually set the 'Manual' parameter using the proper services control panel.

As to your problem: MS Word shouldn't require any other services to run. What exactly does 'does not work' mean? Does it fail to load, does it pop up with an error etc.

sonictk on
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Usually the preinstalled services shouldn't interfere or lower your performance that much/at all (unless you are running XP on a low end "PII era" system with less than 256MB RAM). Disabling system 1st party system services in order to increase performance is a myth. (the indexing service might be an exeption if its still in WinXP)

I only deactivate the ones which get on my nerves regulary, or third party ones which aren't that usefull (Windows security center, or third party ones -> acronis disk monitor for example). The best thing you can do is set them to start manually.

Dratatoo on