As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CoD4 DS: finally another good FPS?

UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
So I saw some people talking about CoD4 DS, which I did not even know existed until this moment. I checked IGN and oh hey, there's a review and videos and everything.

call-of-duty-4-modern-warfare-20070705060939027.jpgcall-of-duty-4-modern-warfare-20070705060938636.jpg
call-of-duty-4-modern-warfare-20070705060937542.jpgcall-of-duty-4-modern-warfare-20070705060936417.jpg
call-of-duty-4-modern-warfare-20070705060935480.jpgcall-of-duty-4-modern-warfare-interview-20070705060330719.jpg

They gave it a 7.8, but that seems to be their standard "not an AAA title" score for DS games.

And no, there isn't online (boo)...but there is single/multicard multiplayer.

I'm actually a little excited about this after watching some of the videos. Finally, a relatively mature and full-featured FPS for the DS. MP:H didn't have grenades or an abundance of weapons or event gameplay such as flying in a helicopter, and none of the other FPSs even reached the level of MP:H.

If IGN's review is to be believed, I'm really surprised with what they've managed to crank out here. It's even got a bunch of voice acting. Seriously, you have to watch the videos.

Anybody else planning on getting this at some point?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
UncleSporky on

• CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It looks really good. The graphics confirm the notion that maybe the DS is better suited to more stylised art approaches. Whilst they're doing amazing stuff with the hardware, it's not exactly detailed enough to provide an engrossing realistic environment.

Still, it does look fantastic for the DS, and I suspect I'll pick it up as long a the gameplay isn't too bland.

Centipeed on
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Company of Heroes DS (last summer) was pretty good. I still suffer from Metroid Claw :(

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Company of Heroes DS? The internet seems to know nothing about it. Perhaps you were thinking of Brothers in Arms?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This game is being very under-rated. I think it is being under-rated because it is Call of Duty 4, which compared to the console/PC versions, is of course very limited.

Personally, I think it's great, and I read some reviews on it. The reviews seem to be somewhat unfounded for their lower scores.

This game looks good, runs well, sounds great, and controls wonderfully. I consider it the second best FPS on the system.

It doesn't cause Metroid Claw as bad as Prime Hunters, either, because while the control scheme is essentially the same, this isn't a Quake-like game in the way Prime Hunters was; it is a bit slower paced and so you don't have to cramp your hands in a frantic hurry as much.

I've posted my impressions of this game in 3 other threads already, so I can post them again in here now that we have a real thread for it.

But if anyone wants to know anything about the game I can answer those questions.

edit: also, Brothers in Arms DS is also very good; but I consider COD4 to be better. (BIA was actually a 3rd person shooter, but it controlled like an FPS).

slash000 on
  • malerikmalerik Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have the following to add:

Double tap to zoom is broken, if my stylus leaves the screen even slightly whilst turning i get zoomed, yet going into zoom and leaving it both are difficult to do when you want to. Annoying as your well trained (well, you are given a whole 30 seconds of training) soldier can't shoot for toffee without being aimed in.

Wtf is with the second level? design of the level is ok and stuff, but it seems the SAS come in two flavours.

1. Gor blimey luvvaduck apples and pears squire wotcha

2. I say eh what jeeves fnar fnar fnar

Come on, seriously? Couldn't they just hire a british voice actor, rather than get an american to do really bad impressions of dick van dyke and steven fry?

malerik on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    I've posted my impressions of this game in 3 other threads already, so I can post them again in here now that we have a real thread for it.

But if anyone wants to know anything about the game I can answer those questions.
    Please do, if you have anything more to say than in the other threads. :P

At GFAQs everybody seems to be complaining about the AI - they just run on their set paths and stand there as you shoot at them, and won't run from grenades. Is it really that bad? Does it even matter during normal gameplay?

What sort of weapons are there, compared to the console versions? I like a lot of variety.

Have you tried multi, and how is it?

I have high hopes for this just because lately I have a hankering for FPSs and the DS is sorely underrepresented in this regard. It's almost my primary gaming system and there are whole genres that are being ignored for no good reason. And FPS is one of the few that is perfect for the system!

UncleSporky on
    edited November 2007
    I'll start with some general impressions:

First of all, the game engine.

It looks and runs really well for a DS game. It looks a lot better than most DS 3d games, and runs very smoothly. Not quite as pretty as Hunters, but pretty good. There are some nice little effects, like explosions, but the best part is the smooth framerate, which only dips slightly in rare circumstances.

The top screen displays the action, the bottom screen, the map. The map is somewhat useful, as it is very detailed and shows indicates the location of your next objective. It also shows where your team mates are, and locations of enemies when you can 'see' or 'hear' the enemies (red dots, they only show up when you know where the enemy is, so it doesn't give away surprise attacks.) edit: actually, at least in some levels, you have a radar of sorts, which scans the map screen, and shows you red dots of enemy locations. Kind of like a radar or heartbeat sensor or something.

The interface is all very well done and looks good and is functional.

The sound is great; the music is good and it changes at some points for dramatic effect. It's not what you might expect from a console/pc game, but for the DS it is well done. The gun sound effects are 'okay,' though.

There is tons of voice-overs. There is no dialogue during the game that is not spoken. That means all of your team mates and objectives and what have you that occurs is actually spoken. This really helps keep the game moving and make it flow better.

The controls are one of the reasons I bought this game. They are akin to Prime Hunters with some changes.

The Dpad emulates WASD, and controls lateral movement. The touchscreen controls 'mouse look.' So it is akin to Prime Hunters in that aspect. However, the reticle does not have a bounding box the way it does in Hunters; it is locked to the center of the screen. This actually makes it more like a PC shooter than Hunters.

On that note, I don't think it causes Metroid Claw as bad as Hunters did. Hunters was a fast paced Quakelike game that constantly had you thrashing your touch screen. This game is a little slower paced and involves shooting from cover and such, so I don't tend to cramp as much as I did with Hunters. But ultimately it is essentially the same control scheme, so some people may still have a similar cramping as they did with Hunters if they're the type that grips the system or stylus real tight while playing.

The L button fires, and the touch screen lets you change weapons firearms/grenades. It also lets you switch to binoculars, or to 'use' certain items such as turrets or setting explosives. Touching the screen is quick and effective as a method for changing weapons or going to binoculars/grenades/use. Double tapping your gun reloads. This all works very well.

Double tapping the screen goes in to 'zoom/iron site' mode as COD games typically have. This works just fine in my book. Some times you'll see an enemy and frantically tap the screen; so it can cause some people to either mess up the iron sites or go in and out of it. This really hasn't been a problem for me at all, though, to be honest. Some people say they end up in Iron Sites/zoom when they were just moving around, and 2x tapped by accident. Personally, I keep the stylus on the screen just about at all times, so this has not been an issue for me at all.

You can crouch by 2x tapping Down on the Dpad twice, and again to stand up. this is good for taking cover behind barriers. Double tapping Up on the pad has you start running.

The face buttons are merely a way to play the game left-handed so they're not necessary. Pressing Start brings up your mission objectives for easy access to them.

edit: forgot to mention, you can smash someone's face in with the butt of your gun by running right up to them and it'll do it automatically

Gameplay

I think the gameplay is great for a portable FPS. It's not as full-featured as your typical high-profile console shooter, obviously, but it does its stuff well.

I haven't beaten it, but Ive come across 2 basic modes of gameplay.

1. Standard FPS
    You're on foot, carrying a gun, a sidearm, and grenades. You run around the level completing objectives and you have team mates following and helping you. You shoot bad guys and throw grenades along the way. This is plenty fun in my book, as it's what I was looking forward to.

Mission objectives often involve clearing out an area from enemies, getting ahold of a turret to mow down some baddies, setting or defusing a bomb, calling a strike on a tank, stealing documents, or sniping out a bunch of people or taking out a bunch of snipers.

Enemy AI is, for lack of a better word.. not advanced. The enemies tend to be placed in areas and like to stick to that area, or they are on a set path that they stick to and stay where they end up. They don't tend to flee while under fire very often. However, I have seen them do it occasionally; occasionally, they will run behind a wall or crouch behind a barrier. So these guys are pretty retarded most of the time, but they are still fun to shoot. They are fairly good shooters themselves, and often chuck grenades in your direction. Since they attack usually in groups, the lack of great AI doesn't necessarily mean that it's easy to take them all out, when you consider all the shooting and grenading that is occurring. But just don't expect really advanced AI. These guys do like to stand there, just bear that in mind. It's not so bad, they often duck, and sometimes take cover, and usually chuck grenades.

They come in different flavors, but usually over different levels. So there are more than 'one type' of badguy, but you'll see the same model/texture quite a few times. No biggie, since it's a portable DS sized screen anyway.

As far as shooting these guys, I've found 2 things. One, shooting in short bursts is more accurate. If you hold down the trigger and unload on a guy, he might not go down for quite a bit. One reviewer idiotically even marked off the game because "it takes too many bullets to kill these guys - unrealistic!" When in reality, it only takes 1 or 2 well-placed bullets to kill a guy. If you just unload at fully-auto speed, yeah, you're going to miss, and you'll think that you're hitting him with 20 bullets but you're not.

So, while you shoot in short bursts FROM THE HIP, (not zoomed/not iron sites that is), you can take out a guy usually in 4 or 5 shots, with a well-aimed gun. I usually go for the head.

With Iron Sites up, I often take these guys out in 1 to 2 shots. Iron site/zoomed shots are far more accurate than From the Hip shots. I'm guessing this was a gameplay decision, but I guess it's also more realistic in a way. Anyway, I ALWAYS go for headshots for the 1 hit kill, or 2 shots if I miss with my initial headshot. It's very efficient to use Iron Sites and then pick people off in the head -- which is totally possible with these very accurate controls.

Weapons:
    Let's see. I've haven't played it entirely through, but I've noticed 3 main gun weapons. You tend to use some kind of counter-terrorist rifle thing, I don't know what it's called. Some kind of machine gun. The second weapon you often use as a sort of Coutner Terrorist guy is a sub machine gun. I want to say it looks like an MP5 or something. edit: Oh, I just found a combat shotgun, cool! edit#2: Ohh, just got an Uzi from an enemy, heh. Then you always have a pistol. Look like a .45 or something. Pretty standard. Along the way, you'll kill enemies; they usually drop AK-47s, which you can then exchange with your current weapon. There are also sniper rifles; I've used 2 different ones, I think, so far. I think one was a Dragunov and one was something else; but they felt similar in usage. There are also grenades, of course. Pretty standard 1 grenade type that I've encountered. Just select the grenade, take and, and throw. Other 'weapons' include calling in air strikes with binoculars. There are also turrets in some levels to take over. But you also use weapons aboard vehicles such as trucks or helicoptors or planes. I'll get to that in the next gameplay type I talk about, but basically you use these high powered machine guns, or drop bombs, or shoot missiles from these vehicles. So it's pretty cool there.

Sometimes an objective will have you set a charge or defuse a bomb.

This will put you into a sort of minigame in which you use the touch screen to fuse or defuse a bomb. This usually involves a puzzle in which you rotate squares on which a path is made so as to connect several points on a circuit, after which reveals a code you enter into the bomb to defuse or fuse it.

The second type of game involves tracing the wires of a bomb from one end to another to defuse it. You're on a time crunch with this, and moving off the wire with your stylus makes you start over. Not too hard though usually.

2. Vehicle Sections

This is the second gameplay type

Basically, you're riding on a vehicle and shooting/bombing from it. You don't have to worry about lateral movement with the DPad during these sections, although the DPad is used if you want/need to for other purposes.

The truck/helicoptor sections are pretty similar in that you're moving high-speed through a level and gunning down enemies as you go. Usually this is to take out an ambush in order to move on (truck level) or to take out some terrorist-held place (helicopter). You contend with enemies gunning or shooting missiles at you.

it's kind of like a on-rails shooter at this point, but you have freedom to look around in any direction in order to aim and shoot. You aim to kill enemies, but you can also blow up things in the level such as cars or barrels or containers to cause big explosions and take out lots of enemies at once.

it's all pretty satisfying

The other section of this type involves being a bomber in an AC130 above a small team of ground troops who are trying to accomplish a mission on the ground, and you're above them providing cover fire/bombing. You're viewing the game from behind the HUD of the vehicle's weapon systems, and you can see your little squad guys on the ground as they have beacons lighting themup. Civilian buildings are off limits to bombing and you can fail the mission for destroying them; they are marked red. (This section takes place, I presume, at night). You hear your team mates on the ground going from place to place and objective to objective, as you provide cover fire by bombing enemy groups that move in on them. You have access to a machine gun, a light missile, and a heavy bomb to take them out. You can also zoom in on them to achieve these purposes and lay better fire. Ultimately, the little guys on the ground will complete some objective, and you'll be told to destroy the building they left; so you do so with bombs.

it's a fun little section, but probably not as much fun as the truck/helicopter levels.

Overall, I really like the game so far. I think it's a great little portable FPS, especially due tot he controls. It has room for improvement in terms of enemy AI and maybe variety of enemies, but what it offers is pretty solid. I would still say it's the 2nd best shooter on the DS, and a worthwhile one for FPS fans. Just don't expect it to rival the best console FPSs out there. But the controls are excellent.

Please do, if you have anything more to say than in the other threads. :P

At GFAQs everybody seems to be complaining about the AI - they just run on their set paths and stand there as you shoot at them, and won't run from grenades. Is it really that bad? Does it even matter during normal gameplay?

It's pretty basic AI, yeah. I don't consider it a problem, really, as enemies are often placed in strategic places anyway. I think I've seen them move to cover a few times, but that may have been their defined path. I really don't consider it much of a big deal though; there's no shortage of shooting enemies in varieties of places even if they are a little resistant to moving away from getting shot.

What sort of weapons are there, compared to the console versions? I like a lot of variety.

Wouldn't say there's as much variety as say Prime Hunters; you're essentially using automatic rifles, pistols, and grenades in the FPS sections; and turrets in the 'on rails' sections.

The auto rifles feel different too me, but I personally use them in similar manners; ie short burst fire at the head; or zoomed-in 1 or 2 hit headshots.

Have you tried multi, and how is it?

I have high hopes for this just because lately I have a hankering for FPSs and the DS is sorely underrepresented in this regard. It's almost my primary gaming system and there are whole genres that are being ignored for no good reason. And FPS is one of the few that is perfect for the system!

Haven't tried multi yet :P Nobody but me has this game! (actually my only nearby DS owning friends just play stuff like puzzle games)

I agree that the DS is sorely underrepresented in the FPS genre. Really, it's begging for more games like this. There were several good FPS shooters in the 32/64 bit era, and there's no reason we can't have ones as good as those on the DS,w hich is more powerful and has more space than an n64 cart.

But, as for COD4, I would say that it's pretty good for an FPS on a handheld, and that for me, great controls, a solid framerate, and decent levels to shoot enemies within are all satisfied by this game. I enjoy it more than Brothers in Arms (which was a 3rd person shooter that controlled like an FPS), and the single player is obviously more fun than Hunters was. It's probably a better game than Goldeney Rogue Agent, though I've never played that. I haven't played Dementium The Ward yet, either, so I can't compare it to that... I just don't know how action-oriented that game is, from an FPS shooter point of view.

I think it's good and worth having for a portable FPS. It's only $30 and it'll get you some good portable first person, KBAM-like shooting.

slash000 on
    edited November 2007
    This game keeps getting better and better. It's definitely a good purchase for a portable FPS on the go, in my book.

slash000 on
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I saw a listing for this a few months ago and I thought it was a mistake... CoD on the DS? WA? O_o

I just have one question.... is there a scribble driven AC130 level and is it as awesome as its big brother?

powersurge on
    edited November 2007
    What is an AC30? Is that a bomber? ( I don't have the console/pc vsn)

One mission takes place from the weapons HUD of a bomber aircraft or something. I think it's a bomber. well anyway, you're covering fire for your squad on the ground by using a turret, some missiles, and some bombs, to blow out little squads of enemies on the ground. You also get to blow up buildings once your little guys on the ground complete their tasks within those buildings.

Most of the flight-based missions occur from the turret of a copter. Or, in a similar gameplay style, from the turret on a truck driving through bases. Lots of mowing down enemies and blowing stuff up.

slash000 on
    edited November 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_AC-130

And video of the CoD4 level:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSOwOdt1UZ0

Actual AC130 guncam video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afv5el1-nhg

The CoD4 level IMO was really well designed and added a nice bit of variety to the game.

powersurge on
    edited November 2007
    powersurge wrote: »

The CoD4 level IMO was really well designed and added a nice bit of variety to the game.

Holy crap, yeah, there's a level just like that in COD4 ds.

slash000 on
    edited November 2007
    Aww man now I gotta put it on my early next year list! Portable AC130 = win :lol:

powersurge on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    powersurge wrote: »

Ok that is scary realistic.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png