As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

End Your Games

Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
This thread idea just came out of nowhere, mere minutes ago. We all know there are plenty of long running series, such as Mario, Zelda, Resident Evil, and so on. Some of these games tell a lengthy story that can either one day reach a conclusion (like MGS4....allegedly), or simply toss in new characters, scenarios or gameplay changes to keep on going forever (Mario, Sonic, Zelda).

So for those games that may never end, or those that are still milking things before reaching a conclusion, here's your chance to come up with your own ending, wrapping up whatever story or conflict is present in these long running series in order to offer a satisfying conclusion as well as ending all possibilities of a sequel.

You can either come up with something meaningful or amusing, but don't use this thread to vent out your hate ("____ dies, ____ is raped, and _____ kills himself like the emo fag that he is") for a certain series. You can be funny, but not spiteful. I'm interested in heartfelt ways to end your favorite childhood games as well. For instance:

Super Mario Bros: This is one series that I'm certain will continue on long after Miyamato's passing. As long as videogames is a popular medium, Mario and Bowser will continue to battle for all eternity. But let's say Nintendo actually does decide to do one final game. How would you wrap up such a simple and lighthearted story?

With a simple conclusion; In my ending, Mario and Bowser make a truce, perhaps after teaming up against a frightening force (think Mario RPG, but in a much grander scale) or after some negotiations that entitle Bowser and his children to certain parts of the Mushroom Kingdom. Papers are signed, hands are shook, and mushroom and koopa live together in harmony, eternal peace surrounding the kingdom.

Their decades-long struggle at an end, Mario and Luigi silently bid farewall and return to their world (this is assuming the idea that they came from earth/new york originally is canon; I'm not sure if Japan considers this official). However, Princess Peach soon follows after them, willing to give up her crown just to live with Mario. A wedding takes place soon after, guests from every iteration of the series is present, friend and (former) foe alike, delicious and truthful cake is served, Peach's flowers end up in Luigi's hands (while Daisy gives him a few alluring looks), everything ends happily.

I actually got a bit sentimental over this idea. :whistle:

Professor Snugglesworth on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Super Mario Bros: This is one series that I'm certain will continue on long after Miyamato's passing.

I suddenly became really sad after thinking about that. :( This post isn't too contributive but I will here shortly come up with an ending to a game. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    *chuckles*

Legend of Zelda:

Ganondorf somehow creates a portal, summoning the Heroes of Legend, basically every iteration of Link that has ever existed and turns them into some sort of demented Knights of the Round Table, each with their own characteristic from their legend. The hero of the current time turns out to be a girl, the first in the line of the Progeny of Zelda and Link, melding two of the greatest powers of the triforce, the third residing with Ganon and is protected by his Heroes of the Triforce. The resulting conflict tears the world apart, with Queen Zelda and King Link using their powers to seal Ganondorf away in the final Triforce piece, which the current Hero - unnamed girl - consumes, uniting the triforce in a final sacrifice of epic purportions, the newly unifed relic of the gods summoning the three Goddesses back and bringing a final golden age upon the world.

I just sniffled a bit.

KupotheAvenger on
    fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    edited November 2007
    Awesome except for the fact that you left out all of Zelda's iterations. Also, I think when you break all the timelines together, there's only about three or four different Links total.
    I suddenly became really sad after thinking about that. This post isn't too contributive but I will here shortly come up with an ending to a game.

Well, it's the same case with Mickey and friends still thriving long after old Walt's passing. You can look at it either as keeping a beloved legend alive, or milking a dead horse for all eternity. I'll stick to the former, even though Shiggy is whoring up Mario plenty right now.

Dance Dance Mario is cute though, I'll give him that.

• Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Awesome except for the fact that you left out all of Zelda's iterations. Also, I think when you break all the timelines together, there's only about three or four different Links total.
    I suddenly became really sad after thinking about that. This post isn't too contributive but I will here shortly come up with an ending to a game.

Well, it's the same case with Mickey and friends still thriving long after old Walt's passing. You can look at it either as keeping a beloved legend alive, or milking a dead horse for all eternity. I'll stick to the former, even though Shiggy is whoring up Mario plenty right now.

Dance Dance Mario is cute though, I'll give him that.

Hm, in response to the Zelda iterations, I think it'd be great if the female Hero had all of those iterations as sort of a back up ninja squad that jumps in and extracts her from bad situations and generally provides badassery backup. The unification of the triforce seals the portal and dispells the different iterations, simultaneously killing the Dark Links, but eradicating the hotty ninja squad. *tears*

KupotheAvenger on

• Options
    Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    *chuckles*

Legend of Zelda:

Ganondorf somehow creates a portal, summoning the Heroes of Legend, basically every iteration of Link that has ever existed and turns them into some sort of demented Knights of the Round Table, each with their own characteristic from their legend. The hero of the current time turns out to be a girl, the first in the line of the Progeny of Zelda and Link, melding two of the greatest powers of the triforce, the third residing with Ganon and is protected by his Heroes of the Triforce. The resulting conflict tears the world apart, with Queen Zelda and King Link using their powers to seal Ganondorf away in the final Triforce piece, which the current Hero - unnamed girl - consumes, uniting the triforce in a final sacrifice of epic purportions, the newly unifed relic of the gods summoning the three Goddesses back and bringing a final golden age upon the world.

I just sniffled a bit.

and why aren't you writing this right now?

Ash-Housewares on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited November 2007
    Very short...

But the last castlevania should be a hunter who kills all the remaining belmonts and members of the bloodline, so that Dracula, who is inexorably bound to the line, could never come back.

It ends with the last Belmont and Dracula working together to avoid extinction for a time. You have to convince the last Belmont of what it means for him to live. He switches to your side, and the two of you duke it out with Dracula and win. At this point he asks you to finish it, Highlander Endgame style, and you do so.

The end.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    *chuckles*

Legend of Zelda:

I just sniffled a bit.

Because it would be fan fic, and he would instantly be stricken down with horrible strain of Cosplay or Furry-ism, or both. It just isn't worth the risk.

Smudge on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Smudge wrote: »
    *chuckles*

Legend of Zelda:

I just sniffled a bit.

Because it would be fan fic, and he would instantly be stricken down with horrible strain of Cosplay or Furry-ism, or both. It just isn't worth the risk.

Seriously. On the up side, the creation of this as the end-game story to Zelda would spawn hotty Cosplay chicks coming as the ninja squad. As long as they look good in the suits, that's hardly a bad thing.

However, most people who cosplay shouldn't be. Case in point? Sailor Bob. *shudder*

KupotheAvenger on

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    syndalis wrote: »
    Very short...

But the last castlevania should be a hunter who kills all the remaining belmonts and members of the bloodline, so that Dracula, who is inexorably bound to the line, could never come back.

It ends with the last Belmont and Dracula working together to avoid extinction for a time. You have to convince the last Belmont of what it means for him to live. He switches to your side, and the two of you duke it out with Dracula and win. At this point he asks you to finish it, Highlander Endgame style, and you do so.

The end.

Bravo, good sir.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Katamari Damacy.

The King of all Cosmos continues bitching about you're awesome achievement, because it's so paltry.

So you roll him the fuck up and shoot him into space.

The end.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Sonic's shoes are destroyed in a fire.

He is unable to find shoes that are as comfortable, and his speed is severely hampered as a result.

It may not be how they end the series, but it better be how they start Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games.

Shadowfire: Your sig, man. Powerthirst ads are awesome. POWER-SPAWNING BABIES, YOU'LL HAVE SO MANY BABIES. 400 BABIES. Give Shockolate to your babies and they'll be good at SPORTS. Make your babies run ABNORMALLY FAST. They'll run as fast as KENYANS, people will watch them running and think they're KENYANS, they'll race as fast as KENYANS against actual KENYANS and then it'll be a tie and they'll be deported back to KENYA.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    God of War:

Kratos finishes off the Greek and Roman Pantheon, making Aphrodite and Athena become his concubines and sets his sights on the Christian/Asian Religions. Duels Buddha and tries to bitchslap Christ, ends up being reincarnated into...Zeus himself, to be eternally killed. hahahaha

KupotheAvenger on

• Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The idea of all those Links turning evil is just too much to take for me - make them the dark versions of themselves, and that'll be much better.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Very short...

The end.

Dracula's been dead though. It's been hinted that a new villain will take over the Castlevania series when IGA decides to make a sequel instead of a prequel for the next game.

I know where you're coming from. I've had an original X-Men story cooking in my brain for a good while, something that I've stepped back and observed several times, and was convinced that I had some excellent ideas that would definetely make for an engaging story.

But, I've held back from actually following through with it becuase, in the end, it's fanfiction, and I worry that no one would take it seriously as a result. Also, I can't figure out what the introductory chapter should be about. Sucks to have a middle and end but no beginning.

On the subject....

Sonic the Hedgehog: What I have in store for Sonic is much better than an ending. Instead, I propose a Retcon. Undo all the horrible shit Sonic has been put through the last few games and just start the series over, get everything back to basics. No more shitty new characters (Sonic, Tails, Knuclkes, and Amy is all we need, but you could toss in Shadow if you promise to stop using him to bring in the "cool" kids), no "edgy" 80's rock music, no fucking humans, Robotnick is 100% evil again, and Sonic scales back the attitude and focuses more on saving his friends and looking good while doing it.

This would be a far better love letter for Sonic fans then an ending, because I really don't want the series to end at its current shitty state.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sonic stuff

I wouldn't mind seeing E-104 come back, because that was fun... though I'm also probably the only one who enjoyed Big's fishing segments.

Also, Sega doing something right? (NSFW)

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Calvin ignores Hobbes and he turns back into a stuffed tiger. Forever.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I also thought Cream was cute, and I don't feel the series would be affected by her continued existance.

I know a lot of fans wished Sally was made a canon character (and Sega even considered that at one time), but I just don't feel that she fits with the series (if you looked at the official female characters, she'd be considered nude). Amy makes for a better romantic interest.

I would totally approve Bunnie Rabbot's official inclusion, though.

May the rats eat out your eyes.

• Options
    AvenroshAvenrosh Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I also thought Cream was cute, and I don't feel the series would be affected by her continued existance.

I know a lot of fans wished Sally was made a canon character (and Sega even considered that at one time), but I just don't feel that she fits with the series (if you looked at the official female characters, she'd be considered nude). Amy makes for a better romantic interest.

I would totally approve Bunnie Rabbot's official inclusion, though.

May the rats eat out your eyes.

The setting from the 90's cartoon (SatAM?) would make for a good game. Been a long time since I've seen it, but I remember it being sweet.

Avenrosh on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

:(

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Also, I think when you break all the timelines together, there's only about three or four different Links total.

That's arguable as there isn't a definitive official timeline. Actually if Nintendo were to make a final Zelda game I would like it to include an official timeline.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I don't see that really happening. Nintendo will make attempts here and there, but ultimately the Zelda series doesn't really have a set timeline. In the end there's a guy named Link saving a girl named Zelda from an asshole named Ganon(dorf).

So with that in mind, the last Zelda game should be the same type of situation, just with the highest level of polish and level design that would make people agree that no more could be done with the series. They could also make like DBZ and have the Triforce disappear forever due to its constant use from humans, both for good and evil.

• Options
    mystic_knightmystic_knight Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Very short...

The end.

Dracula's been dead though. It's been hinted that a new villain will take over the Castlevania series when IGA decides to make a sequel instead of a prequel for the next game.

He's not really dead, but he's been
    reincarnated as Soma. Who's to say that after Soma dies that the next reincarnation won't be evil?

mystic_knight on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Well yeah, but it was my understanding that once he goes, so does Dracula. Could be wrong, though.

Next up is Final Fantasy VII. I've had this ending planned out quite a ways back, and it reeks of cheesy melodramaticism, but asses to you. This is how I want it to end.

Cloud and Tifa finally come to terms with their inner struggles, and form a relationship. After their epic final battle with whoever (I want to say Sephiroth, not Gackt), we get a nice expositional epilogue where each character is given a few minutes of resolution, ending with Cloud and Tifa a year or so later, enjoying their new lives together and welcoming their new baby girl into the world. A baby girl with familiar looking eyes and hair. If you've been following the original game's mumbo jumbo about souls being resurrected, you'd find this to be a perfectly acceptable revelation. Cue in some Amano illustrated credits, which was originally planned for the first game.

I hope it doesn't take another 5-10 years to see this ending.

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pong:

Paddle 1: Dude, we've been playing for like...30 years. Want to call it a tie? Paddle 2: Sure.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

NOOOO!

Sueve on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Pong:

Paddle 1: Dude, we've been playing for like...30 years. Want to call it a tie? Paddle 2: Sure.

That's epic.

On a related note, I was convinced that Pac-World would be the final Pac-Man game ever, since it has him settling into a family life and apparently destroying the Ghost Monsters forever. But, he's still going strong, and apparently his kids have been forgotten. :/

• Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Gears of War:

After years of fighting the Locust horde Fenix and the rest of Delta squad are arrested during a government investigation of steroid abuse in the army. After drug tests and congressional hearings they are forced into retirement and an asterisk is added to their "Baddass motherfuckers of the year" award. They fade into obscurity and die with small testicles.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The Mushroom kingdom pays tribute at last to the new rulers, King Mario and Queen Peach.

Samus finds a world with surviving Chozo, and is welcomed back with open arms.

As for Zelda, the end of Wind Waker really works for me as it is.

Edit: Yeah, I'd write more, but...fanfiction. Ugh.

Darlan on
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Street Fighter:

Ryu becomes a world-reknowned master of the martial arts as Ken fades out of the scene to be with his family. However, Ryu has never yet been able to finally defeat Akuma and gain vengeance for the death of Gouken. Worse still, an underground movement called "Shadaloo" begins taking control of organized crime on a global scale and its mysterious benefactor, Mister Bison, has never yet been seen. The organization holds a World FIghting tournament, leading the greatest fighters of the world together and of course Ryu joins it when he hears word that Ken's son is in the tournament. As the tournament progresses, eventually the winner meets Mister Bison face to face, and he is revealed to be a Psycho Power wielding Akuma. Akuma tells the winner that the world was weak and incapable of providing him the ultimate fight, and the fighter, that he has so long desired. A voice whispered to him from the darkness and told him how how to recreate the world, reshape it into something only for the strong, and Akuma did so. Eventually assuming the title of Mister Bison, an alias the voice told him to use, Akuma created Shadaloo and has used it to find the ultimate fight. The series culminates with a final showdown between Ryu and Akuma with the future of the world on the line.

Not much, but I'd love for the last game in the Street Fighter series to really capitalize on all of the plot threads it's created throughout its dozens of games. I'd also like to see some time progression so that newer characters can be utilized whilst still allowing for older characters to be in the game.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It'd be nice if Ryu finally takes on a certain apprentice.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    That's all awesome except for the Mr Bison monicker. Dude, Bison wasn't even his real name to begin with. He's/it's an evil aura that possesess fighters with strong potential, hence what he's been trying to do with Ryu.

• Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dear god

A fanfiction thread

It finally happened

Lemming on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sueve wrote: »

NOOOO!

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lemming wrote: »
    Dear god

A fanfiction thread

It finally happened

And after paddle 1 and paddle 2 call it a tie, they make out. And Sonic was totally there.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

You..... you..... what?

Man, seriously? Calvin and Hobbes is the best thing EVER! Even more than sliced bread!

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    ToyD wrote: »

You..... you..... what?

Man, seriously? Calvin and Hobbes is the best thing EVER! Even more than sliced bread!

Have you not seen that comic? It was fan-made, I believe, but it's really a sad comic.

If Watterson had done it and changed it so that it was simply about Calvin growing out of his childhood (instead of it being drug-influenced), I would accept it as the true ending to the series.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ahh, no, I haven't seen that. I was not aware it was a real coming ( even fan made ). Personally, I'd like to think of calvin as always 6 yrs old and always making grotesque snowmen instead of growing up...

Just me liking timeless things from my childhood as I get older I guess.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ahh, no, I haven't seen that. I was not aware it was a real coming ( even fan made ). Personally, I'd like to think of calvin as always 6 yrs old and always making grotesque snowmen instead of growing up...

calvin_add.jpg

Sorry, that's enough off-topic, but Calvin and Hobbes is worth discussing at all times.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

calvin_add.jpg

Sorry, that's enough off-topic, but Calvin and Hobbes is worth discussing at all times.

God, that's fucking DEPRESSING.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lemming wrote: »
    Dear god

A fanfiction thread

It finally happened

And after paddle 1 and paddle 2 call it a tie, they make out. And Sonic was totally there.

And then a super saiyan called Lemming came in and saved the day and made out with 19 or some shit

Lemming on