As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Guitar Hero on the PS3? Why the heck not Sony!

MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
So, this weekend, I got the GH3 for the PS3. Don't much like it, but that is for another thread. But my bro asked me: "does it work with the old games on BC mode?" So I tried it out. Turns out that when I go into BC mode, the PS3 no longer detects the GH3 wireless dongle, so I can no longer use it as a controler. So, no go.

But then I discovered something else...I popped in an old PS1 (vigilante, second offense) game...and the damn controller works!!! I can play a game using the guitar just fine.

So, I can play using the PS1 games...a system that had no USB ports...but when I play a ps2 game, it shuts them off (even though the original system had USB?!). W!T!F! That is just crap. Even more crappy is that had GH3 used the bluetooth instead of their own tech the damn thing would work (although they SAY it's because BT isn't accuate enough for rhythm games...but that hasn't stopped my bro from playing Amplitude just fine).

I am not normally a conspiracy theorist...but I am starting to wonder...so many ways around this...it feels like it is being blocked on purpose.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Monkeydrye on

• Options
    BoilerbirdBoilerbird Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sony has so much as said that they're going to minimize further BC effort in order to get people to buy PS3 games. This might be fallout from movement in that direction. Or it could be EA's fault.

Boilerbird on
    "The Lord of Murder shall perish. But in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sown from their passage."
    -So sayeth the wise Alaundo

Mario Kart friend code: 227.692.747.075
    Tetris friend code: 742.696.731.030
    Pokemon code: 2921 5590 8486
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 0602-5937-3565
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    the ps1 games are entirely software emulated, which is why 40gb consoles can still play ps1 games despite no ps2 hardware components. in the case you mentioned, the ps1 game detects the controller because it's still running as a subset of the ps3's software, which the controller is configured for. ps2 games are hardware and software run, so basically the ps3 'switches out' to use completely different components and pretty much boots up another system entirely which isn't compatible with the guitar hero three controller.

it sucks, it's awful, i hate it too, but it's no conspiracy

although maybe ea did do it. sabotaging competitors' games in a wily move...

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Well, I can KINDA see why the PS2 emulation doesn't like USB...but I still don't see why neither RB or GH3 will use the bluetooth (which the PS2 obviously allows). Or why some kind of fix hasn't been offered by a third party (don't they make some kind of USB to PS2 adapters?)

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Monkeydrye wrote: »
    Well, I can KINDA see why the PS2 emulation doesn't like USB...but I still don't see why neither RB or GH3 will use the bluetooth (which the PS2 obviously allows). Or why some kind of fix hasn't been offered by a third party (don't they make some kind of USB to PS2 adapters?)

there are usb to ps2 adapters, apparently there's even one rare radioshack one that will let you play guitar hero 1 & 2 on the ps3 perfectly (with old wired guitars). most of them don't work well with the guitars though

and they really should have used bluetooth, i agree. dongles are probably the reason i just forgot about it and bought ghIII for the ps2 to use with my old wired guitars

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The USB ports work. Evidence of this is the fact that you can use the logitech wheels in GT4 running on the PS3. No idea why the guitars dont work though.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Zeon wrote: »
    The USB ports work. Evidence of this is the fact that you can use the logitech wheels in GT4 running on the PS3. No idea why the guitars dont work though.

Ok, true, it works. It just doesn't seem to detect the GH3 dongle. The red light actually shuts off.

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]