Options

Xbox360 -- OP Update, MS Press Release, "Xbox Originals" (Psychonauts!)

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    NexusSix wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    NexusSix wrote: »
    I wonder what the odds are on this expanding and possibly including an eventual DL of the original Perfect Dark with Xbox Live support... and... Blast Corps. Rare retained full ownership of all original IPs (Joanna, Conker, etc.) after the M$ purchase, right?

If that were true...PD with Live, maybe...Proximity mines everywhere! Madness!

Laptop Gun. Double Cyclones unloading on alt-fire! <3

Also: it's not even a rumor--it's unfounded, gross speculation solely on my part, but I want it, dammit. And you should want it too.

Fix up the framerate and then we'll talk.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    RookieRookie Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Good thing I just bought an Elite.

Rookie on
    TheRizzle.png
    PSN: TheSuperVillain
  • Options
    Slain iiSlain ii Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So, they should really finish providing full BC support... I want to play Hitman 2 and MGS2: Substance, damnit.

Slain ii on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If MS adds widescreen and HD support, I'd probably get a couple, just to try it out.

But I get the feeling they wouldn't add anything.

Graviija on
  • Options
    OhioOhio Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Aoi wrote: »
    Einhander wrote: »
    Assuming it's true, my wonder is still whether or not having an Xbox game played from the hard drive will affect LAN or Live play at all. Also, hopefully they'll be able to tighten up security enough so we could play downloaded Xbox games outside of Xbox sandbox mode, meaning we'd have full access to the Dashboard. The main reason that would be awesome is so that we'd be better able to handle custom soundtracks.

I wonder if they'll be adding achievements? We'd see better load times, which is cool.

Not necessarily. From what I've heard, PS1 games purchased through the PSN still have the same load times as their PS1 disk versions. While there's room for LOL Sony in that statement, it still shows that just because it's on the hard drive doesn't mean it's going to run faster.

As for who this will appeal to? Both on the Nintendo and Xbox side of things, people are purchasing the single Sonic games through XBLA and VC for a price that is JUST under what you could buy the entire collection of games in the series for on previous generation media.

Symphony of the Night on XBLA had noticeably shorter (almost non-existent) load times.

Ohio on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Honestly, I don't see why people aren't more excited.
    Obviously most people own Halo, but other games like ones mentioned could be released that should definitely gotten more attention the first time around.
    Stranger's Wrath and Voodoo Vince need to come, along with Psychonauts and STUBBS and any other number of great OXbox games you might have a hard time finding in stores>
    I know I want to play Hulk: UD, but I can't find a copy anywhere (And no credit cards= no online buying for me).
    Honestly, if they add Achievements and HD output this is a great idea, and one I'll back 100%.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    august wrote: »
    I'd love to see Psychonauts get on the list. It's a game I'd love to get, and somehow playing it on PC would feel a little like heresy.

Er... why? Buy a gamepad, if that's an issue.

Or hell, buy the fucking disc. It's already BC.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man, I've been hankering to play Crimson Skies again... now I just need a giant hard drive.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    SpikedFreakSpikedFreak Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Joystiq now says this is MS confirmed. Hot damn.

SpikedFreak on
  • Options
    CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So are these going to be the original games running in emulation mode, or will they be 'ported' and take advantage of 360 features and not feature any of those weird BC bugs?

That's pretty much the deciding factor on if I get any of these or not. I'd rebuy Halo 1 and 2 with achievements and the Halo 3 control scheme in a second.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    Man, I've been hankering to play Crimson Skies again... now I just need a giant hard drive.

That's the one I'm interested in. I played the PC original way, way back. How does this compare? I heard it has very good online play when it was released, is the SP good as well?

Noray on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Cowbomb wrote: »
    So are these going to be the original games running in emulation mode, or will they be 'ported' and take advantage of 360 features and not feature any of those weird BC bugs?

That's pretty much the deciding factor on if I get any of these or not. I'd rebuy Halo 1 and 2 with achievements and the Halo 3 control scheme in a second.

I sincerely doubt control schemes will change. Achievements would be nice though.

I really wish they could somehow retrofit BC titles. Give me Psychonauts achievements.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oh man if they included achievements in them I'd be 100% more liable to rebuy games I've already played on the service, like Fahrenheit

'Escape the diner without drawing the cop's attention' - 20 points

'Be like Neo on the rooftop in that one fight' - 50 points

<3

Noray on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I really have to wonder how much this will affect existing BC updates. They've been hinting for a while now that they're going to taper off on the BC updates, and I cant help but assume this new download system is why. I only have 3 more titles from my original Xbox library that arent BC and I'd rather they just finish that up instead of implementing something new (thought to be fair, I could care less if they updated 2 out of the 3).

Also, what others have said about why I would spend 15 bucks on something I can find at gamestop for so much less. and doesn't hog up the HD on my 360. Going to the store aint that inconvenient.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm more excited about the Movies on Demand feature. It would be nice to watch the latest movies from the comfort of my home as opposed to having to go to a theater with floors that could make water stick, trying to watch the movie with a bunch of asshats who forgot to turn off their phone and can't seem to shut the fuck up.

edit: AND it's 10 bucks or so. Fuck you AMC.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Noray wrote: »
    Oh man if they included achievements in them I'd be 100% more liable to rebuy games I've already played on the service, like Fahrenheit

'Escape the diner without drawing the cop's attention' - 20 points

'Be like Neo on the rooftop in that one fight' - 50 points

<3
    Don't remind me of Indigo Prophecy. That was one of the biggest let downs of any game. I mean let down not in the sense of "lots of hype, nothing delivered" as much as "the first 2/3s were the best game I ever played, and the last third went all Matrix: Revolution on me".

Seriously, though, Psychonauts released on BC would solve the problem of finding it for me. I'm sure others also have this problem.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    I can't find an used copy of Halo 1 for below 30$ around here, so 15$ is savings.

I think I'll buy Halo 1 and Burnout 3 first. I don't think Halo 1 came near filling the entire DVD because they had room for demos on it, and they could drop the attract trailer to save even more space.

But even for us 20 gig guys, we can at least delete and download different games.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

That's the one I'm interested in. I played the PC original way, way back. How does this compare? I heard it has very good online play when it was released, is the SP good as well?

The PC Crimson Skies was much more of a sim-lite sort of game, where the Xbox Crimson Skies 2 is much more arcadey. They are both kickass games though!

If the PC Crimson Skies is like Project Gotham Racing, then the Xbox Crimson Skies is like Burnout.

I loved the single player all the way through and the multiplayer was the most fun I ever had on the original Xbox Live.

So if you liked the first, definately check out the second, but don't expect a carbon copy from a gameplay standpoint.

DAMN, this game NEEDS a third installment. Revamping CS2 with the best graphics the 360 can do would be stunning.

Smudge on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Smudge wrote: »

The PC Crimson Skies was much more of a sim-lite sort of game, where the Xbox Crimson Skies 2 is much more arcadey. They are both kickass games though!

If the PC Crimson Skies is like Project Gotham Racing, then the Xbox Crimson Skies is like Burnout.

I loved the single player all the way through and the multiplayer was the most fun I ever had on the original Xbox Live.

So if you liked the first, definately check out the second, but don't expect a carbon copy from a gameplay standpoint.

DAMN, this game NEEDS a third installment. Revamping CS2 with the best graphics the 360 can do would be stunning.

I agree with almost everything said here, except that I never got to play CS on Live that much. But even 2-player splitscreen was good fun. I would turn tricks in the filthiest alley for MS to make a CS title for the 360.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Well I thought CS1 was pretty arcadey to begin with, which I liked about it. I'll probably d/l this when/if it hits.

Noray on
  • Options
    VaLiantineVaLiantine Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fuck those other games, Give me Deathrow!

VaLiantine on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Here's the press release from teamxbox taken from xbox.com (which seems to be down).

"As Xbox LIVE Turns Five, Microsoft Announces Next Wave of Social Fun

Xbox LIVE membership soars past 8 million mark, Microsoft unveils new download service for Xbox games direct to your living room beginning Dec. 4.

REDMOND, Wash. — Nov. 13, 2007 — On Nov. 15, Microsoft Corp. will celebrate the fifth anniversary of Xbox LIVE. In addition, the company notes that the latest membership figures show more than 8 million members are now actively engaged in the largest social entertainment network on TV. Xbox LIVE has grown from a small community of gamers in two countries, playing a handful of games online with their friends, to a worldwide social entertainment network offering online access to gaming, music, movies and TV shows. As friends across 26 countries and nine languages have connected on Xbox LIVE, it is their feedback and active participation that has guided the service to become what Wired magazine recently called “the king of the online arena.” As a gesture of thanks to the gaming community, all 8 million members will have the opportunity to download a free Xbox LIVE Arcade game,* available for downloading between 12:01 a.m. PST on Nov. 15 and 11:59 p.m. PST on Nov. 16.** In addition to this, every active member who joined the service in 2002 will receive 500 free Microsoft Points.

Starting on Dec. 4, all Xbox LIVE members will receive a free system update with a host of new features and enhancements. Included in this update will be the launch of Xbox Originals, which, for the first time, will enable consumers to download and own full Xbox games, such as “Halo,” “Psychonauts,” “Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge” and “Fable,” among others, directly to their Xbox 360. This new service will launch with an array of blockbuster titles spanning the most popular genres from action-adventure to classic role-playing games.

With no disc necessary, and at just 1,200 Microsoft Points per game, Xbox LIVE members can easily rediscover these hit titles, or check out a game they missed the first time around. This launch lineup is only the beginning, as Xbox 360 owners can expect to see a growing catalog of Xbox games to download and own over the coming year.

“In just five short years, Xbox LIVE has revolutionized the way friends and family have fun in the living room,” said John Schappert, corporate vice president of LIVE, software and services at Microsoft. “On its fifth birthday, Xbox LIVE truly is the place for hanging out with friends and enjoying downloadable TV shows, movies, videos, game add-ons and now downloadable Xbox games on demand.”

So free game (hope it's something cool like the Geometry Wars sequel) for download on Thursday and it looks like Psychonauts will be one of the initial original XBox game downloads in December. Yes!

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR Dude Principality of ZeonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well, I am pretty sure I will get Psychonauts for myself. Seems like a good deal.

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    And according to Joystic the free game will be Carcasonne. Score!

Here's the new thread, I made to discuss this particular piece of news (since it's not particularly related to the Original XBox downloads): http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=41346

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Grizzly_AddamsGrizzly_Addams Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Samphis wrote: »
    It's cool, but I can walk into any Gamestop and buy all kinds of used BC games for $2-9.

Well...

Halo $24.99

Fable $19.99

Burnout 3 $9.99

Crimson Skies $1.99

Indigo Prophecy $12.99

So yeah kind of. Crash and Fahrenheit weren't listed on gamestop.com.

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    10 quid for Crimson Skies.

Yes please.

Also, any word on 16:10 support for monitors?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Samphis wrote: »
    It's cool, but I can walk into any Gamestop and buy all kinds of used BC games for $2-9.

Well...

Halo $24.99

Fable $19.99

Burnout 3 $9.99

Crimson Skies $1.99

Indigo Prophecy $12.99

So yeah kind of. Crash and Fahrenheit weren't listed on gamestop.com.

Farenheit is Indigo Prophecy here in the states. It's 12.99 used through EB/Gamestop.

Aoi on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Crash and Fahrenheit weren't listed on gamestop.com.

Fahrenheit was the original title for Indigo Prophesy. I don't know why they changed it for USA.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    all i want out of this is Marvel Vs. Capcom 2...that game isn't BC and if they let you DL it I would grab with speed that would break tge sound barrier. IF they put in multiplayer to that would be fuck awesome!!

Dixon on
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Also, any word on 16:10 support for monitors?

THIS is what I've been hoping

Scudo on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm all about this if -

A) There are bug fixes for problematic titles like KoToR and Forza, plus maybe even the bonus of some enhanced textures.

B) Original Xbox games with Live support are now able to be played on Live with your 360.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Crash and Fahrenheit weren't listed on gamestop.com.

Fahrenheit was the original title for Indigo Prophesy. I don't know why they changed it for USA.
    I think it was because it was really stupid title considering they gave the temperature in degrees Celsius and they also didn't want people to associate it with Fahrenheit 9/11.

I guess its a cool idea to have games online, but it would be more awesome if they got old games that were never released on the xbox in the first place.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm all about this if -

A) There are bug fixes for problematic titles like KoToR and Forza, plus maybe even the bonus of some enhanced textures.

B) Original Xbox games with Live support are now able to be played on Live with your 360.

I thought you could get onto live on OXBOX titles.

Really the only problems I have with this is that the main B/C games I want done are the other two PoP games which still aren't B/C.

Blake T on
  • Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The question is does this fix the irritating 'oh hey no VGA support for 50hz games' BC problem. I'd quite like to actually be able to play all these games.

Lezta on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Blaket wrote: »
    I'm all about this if -

I thought you could get onto live on OXBOX titles.

Really the only problems I have with this is that the main B/C games I want done are the other two PoP games which still aren't B/C.

I never could get onto live with any of my oxbox games. I tried with Forza and Chaos Theory a few times. That was in early 2006, right after launch.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I never could get onto live with any of my oxbox games. I tried with Forza and Chaos Theory a few times. That was in early 2006, right after launch.

Live Xbox games work fine on the 360, providing you have Live Gold. Live at the 360 launch had a few issues.

Einhander on
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's convenient and I have an Elite... I dunno. I'm more interested in the rumored clan blade.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    VaLiantine wrote: »
    Fuck those other games, Give me Deathrow!
    Dead Ball Zone was the better game, but no one has ever heard of it. And unfortunately, it shares its initials with a more popular game series.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    It's convenient and I have an Elite... I dunno. I'm more interested in the rumored clan blade.

Exactly.

While downloading Halo is cool, I wanna see some small scale technicals. Clan blade? Improved image support? Fixes for the shitload of issues with VGA cables and 16:10 monitors? Any smaller changes to marketplace? Rewards for gamerscore?

Man, if they gave away a free XBLA title with every 20,000 gamerscore you got then that would be awesome and awful at the same time.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dixon wrote: »
    all i want out of this is Marvel Vs. Capcom 2...that game isn't BC and if they let you DL it I would grab with speed that would break tge sound barrier. IF they put in multiplayer to that would be fuck awesome!!

Last update made MvC2 BC. It's laggy and the sprites are glitched, but it's there.

Turkey on