Options

Xbox360 -- OP Update, MS Press Release, "Xbox Originals" (Psychonauts!)

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Are these downloadable games going to have achievements? That would rock.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This news need more Vexx.

Djiem on
  • Options
    CloggerdudeCloggerdude __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm excited about this, simply because I now have a valid reason for owning an elite with the 120 gig hard drive.

Previously, my excuse was that I could download every single game demo from marketplace. I made it through the letter k before getting bored with the idea.

Cloggerdude on
    Pokemon D/P Friend Code: 0902 9213 7501
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm excited about this, simply because I now have a valid reason for owning an elite with the 120 gig hard drive.

Previously, my excuse was that I could download every single game demo from marketplace. I made it through the letter k before getting bored with the idea.

At first I thought you said you were downloading every XBLA title and I was going to ask you if you shit money.

Djiem on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Don't know if it's been mentioned earlier, but xbox.com has confirmed the initial lineup of downloadable original games as consisting of Burnout 3: Takedown, Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex, Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge, Fable, Fuzion Frenzy, Halo, and Psychonauts.

Psychonauts is definitely worth a purchase if you haven't already played it. Also, it's worth noting that some of those games are 3rd party titles which bodes well for the downloadable service ending up with a ton of good stuff (I'm hoping that some of the region locked games that I love like Panzer Dragoon Orta end up on there before too long).

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Finally get to play Psychonauts. Sweet!

Hope they add Achievements.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    damn if it has psychonauts that's a no brainer, being as I never played it.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    As Xbox LIVE Turns Five, Microsoft Announces Next Wave of Social Fun

Xbox LIVE Membership Soars Past Eight Million Mark, Microsoft Unveils New Download Service for Full Xbox Games Direct to Your Living Room, Beginning Dec. 4

REDMOND, Wash. - Nov. 13, 2007 - On November 15, Microsoft Corp. will celebrate the fifth anniversary of Xbox LIVE. In addition, the company notes that the latest membership figures show more than eight-million members are now actively engaged in the largest social entertainment network on TV. Xbox LIVE has grown from a small community of gamers in two countries, playing a handful of games online with their friends, to a worldwide social entertainment network offering online access to gaming, movies, music and TV shows. As friends across 26 countries and nine languages have connected on Xbox LIVE, it is their feedback and active participation that has guided the service to become what Wired magazine recently called "The king of the online arena." As a gesture of thanks to the gaming community, all eight million members will have the opportunity to download a free Xbox LIVE Arcade game* between 12:01 a.m. PST on Nov. 15 and 11:59 p.m. PST on Nov. 16**. In addition to this, every active member who joined the service in 2002 will receive 500 MS Points for free.

Starting on December 4th, all Xbox LIVE members will receive a free system update with a host of new features and enhancements. Included in this update will be the launch of the Xbox Originals, which, for the first time ever, will enable consumers to download and own full Xbox games , such as Halo®, Psychonauts(tm), Crimson Skies®: High Road to Revenge(tm) and Fable® among others directly to their Xbox 360. This new service will launch with an array of blockbuster titles spanning the most popular genres from action-adventure to classic role-playing games.

With no disc necessary, and at just 1,200 Microsoft Points per game, Xbox LIVE members can easily rediscover these hit titles, or check out a game they missed the first time around. This launch line-up is only the beginning as Xbox 360 owners can expect to see a growing catalogue of Xbox games for download to own over the coming year.

"In just five short years Xbox LIVE has revolutionized the way friends and family have fun in the living room," said John Schappert, corporate vice president of LIVE, software and services at Microsoft. "On its fifth birthday, Xbox LIVE truly is the place for hanging out with friends and enjoying downloadable TV shows, movies, videos, game add-ons and now downloadable Xbox games on demand."

For more information about the downloadable games available on Xbox LIVE, the evolution of Xbox LIVE or the "Xbox LIVE is 5IVE" member rewards, visit www.Xbox.com.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    So are these games going to be plagued with the slowdown problems that a lot of BC Xbox 1 games have?

If they make KOTOR playable on 360, and I mean actually playable, not the excuse they have now, I'd pay $30.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hmm, wonder if they're going to add achievements.

KimFidler on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I always regretted not getting in on Crimson Skies .... I'd love to try the multiplayer in that. 1200 points though ...

Bamelin on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So are these games going to be plagued with the slowdown problems that a lot of BC Xbox 1 games have?

If they make KOTOR playable on 360, and I mean actually playable, not the excuse they have now, I'd pay $30.
    If you're talking about Dantooine.

I'm pretty sure that was always slow.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    From what it sounds like, it seems like it's just going to be BC but with an ISO that you download from Microsoft and run straight off the 360 like the disc was in the drive. No achievements and in XBOX mode.

We'll see though.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    edited November 2007

If you're talking about Dantooine.

I'm pretty sure that was always slow.

No, I'm talking about combat and the voice acting throughout the entire game. Bad sound issues that make the characters skip lines, it's like listening to a scratched CD.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    2 things I'm wondering are, do you think they'll somehow trim down the size of these games or will it just be like having the ISO on your HDD? Also, this makes me think they might release a stand-alone HDD to buy that is bigger than 20GB but I'm doubting that.

Anyway, I'll gladly buy Fuzion Frenzy + Pyschonauts unless I find a cheap[er] copy of those games elsewhere.

I want to know what else the Fall update brings, I'd rather know that than this. :(

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    squirly wrote: »
    2 things I'm wondering are, do you think they'll somehow trim down the size of these games or will it just be like having the ISO on your HDD? Also, this makes me think they might release a stand-alone HDD to buy that is bigger than 20GB but I'm doubting that.

The 120 is out to buy...has been since the Elite came out...

Legacy on
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I have 30 GB of demos, that justifies it for me. :D

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    How much in real money is 1200 M$, anyway?

As someone who never owned an XBOX, this downloading feature is very appealing to me. I'm interested in the back catalog and I don't like to change discs.

I probably won't get anything until next year, but any little factor like this could tip the scales between the 360 and PS3 for me.

Saddler on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Saddler wrote: »

As someone who never owned an XBOX, this downloading feature is very appealing to me. I'm interested in the back catalog and I don't like to change discs.

I probably won't get anything until next year, but any little factor like this could tip the scales between the 360 and PS3 for me.

$15.

Legacy on
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Legacy wrote: »

How did I not know this? Or maybe it's not available in Australia..

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

$15.

Well really it is $20 cause you cant buy 1200 points exactly right?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    20 bucks is 1600, USD that is.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    VaLiantine wrote: »
    Fuck those other games, Give me Deathrow!

fuck yes.

that game sooo needs an online playable sequel, nothing has ever enraged me as much as playing system linked matches with my shithead friends screaming and swearing at each other for the entire duration of the game.

Playing live with all the retarded shitheads on live would top that... in 3 seconds no less!

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    suadeosuadeo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is really cool. I lost my KOTOR disc and I never played it through as a light-side char. MS has said nothing about updating the games at all, right?

suadeo on
    Valseki.png
    My 360 is [strike]back[/strike] [strike]bricked[/strike] back! :D
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have Crimson Skies still sealed in the original shrinkwrap. I felt like one day it might be the next Chrono Trigger, in terms of being very desirable. Microsoft has shattered my dreams of instant wealth. :x

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have Crimson Skies still sealed in the original shrinkwrap. I felt like one day it might be the next Chrono Trigger, in terms of being very desirable. Microsoft has shattered my dreams of instant wealth. :x

Welcome to the future, companies have found that people will buy their games 5-10 years after they're released so they can make even more money! :P

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I'll take it off your hands for a very reasonable price :lol:

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

How did I not know this? Or maybe it's not available in Australia..

Maybe. It's pretty ridiculous. $180 for 120 gigs.

You'd almost be better off buying an Elite and selling the regular 360.

Legacy on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Some more news on this:

from majornelson.com:
    I have gotten quite a few questions about yesterday's Xbox Originals announcement. Specifically, folks want to know if these games will have additional functionality like Achievements and Gamer score. The answer is no. These are the original games that were created before Xbox 360. In order to preserve the integrity of the original gaming experience they provide, they will have the features available at the time of their initial release. I hope that clears that up.

I know it's probably not what you wanted to hear, but I thought it would be best to get clear up an misunderstanding up right up front. I'll talk more about it on my show this week. Would it have been cool? Sure it would ...but as many folks have noted, for a variety of reasons it's just not possible. :(

And then even BETTER news regarding them:

From xbox.com
    There are some known issues with Xbox Originals. With all game titles, publisher logos at the start of a game can be choppy on first play when caching. Also, any additional content within a game (such as a demo or trailer) is not supported by Xbox Originals titles and selecting those options may result in crashing the game (requiring a restart of the console).

There are also some issues unique to specific game titles, as follows:
    * Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge: There is some minor flickering at the top of the screen that happens very rarely. The "Press A to Continue" message is missing when the host player leaves a multiplayer game. Additional content within the game (such as demos & trailers) are not supported and selecting those options may result in crashing the game (requiring a restart of the console)
    * Fable: There are some random bursts of audio static and some minor texture issues and a short hang up when removing tattoos. Additional content within the game (such as demos & trailers) are not supported and selecting those options may result in crashing the game (requiring a restart of the console)
    * Fuzion Frenzy: There are some minor frame rate issues. Additional content within the game (such as demos & trailers) are not supported and selecting those options may result in crashing the game (requiring a restart of the console)
    * Halo: There are some very mild frame rate drops.
    * Psychonauts: HDMI 720p is not supported for PAL users. Running the game in 720p over HDMI will result in the game locking up for PAL users. If you are using HDMI output, set the resolution to 1080i or 1080p (anything but 720p)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    FrostozunaFrostozuna Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I just picked up the 360 pro bundle and had a couple questions

- I'm planning on picking up two play and charge kits ASAP, and on ebgames.com it says "Don't miss a thing! Recharge while you play or when your Xbox 360 is in standby mode." How exactly do I put the 360 in standby mode? The closest thing I've seen is the screensaver

- What's the accepted way to switch to another game if theres already a game in the drive which I'm playing? So far I've been going to the dashboard where you have to 'end your session' and then I swap discs, unless theres some other way to do it?

Frostozuna on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    To swap Disc's, hit the Guide button, then Y to go to the Dash. Eject and pop in the next game.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lezta wrote: »
    The question is does this fix the irritating 'oh hey no VGA support for 50hz games' BC problem. I'd quite like to actually be able to play all these games.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I am hoping this forces MS to put some serious development time in to their BC code. I understand that they screwed up and couldn't get the license to the original XBox's CPU, to make it hardware BC...but seriously, fix the code. The fact that KoToR is still unplayable is uncool. Maybe now that they are bringing BC to the forefront with this service, it will force them to fix the issues. People are going to be a lot more pissed about the game they just spent 15 bucks for not working, then they are an old XBox disc they had anyway.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Frostozuna wrote: »
    So I just picked up the 360 pro bundle and had a couple questions

- I'm planning on picking up two play and charge kits ASAP, and on ebgames.com it says "Don't miss a thing! Recharge while you play or when your Xbox 360 is in standby mode." How exactly do I put the 360 in standby mode? The closest thing I've seen is the screensaver

- What's the accepted way to switch to another game if theres already a game in the drive which I'm playing? So far I've been going to the dashboard where you have to 'end your session' and then I swap discs, unless theres some other way to do it?

If you leave the controller plugged into the 360 with the play & charge kit, and the controller's still charging, the 360 will go into a low-power mode and keep recharging the controller. You can set it to do the same thing with downloads, too, where it'll go into a low-power mode and keep a download going after you've turned it off. Nice for leaving overnight.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Not adding extra stuff, I can understand. It's disappointing to not have achievements etc. but understandable.

However, having the games be buggy and run shoddily isn't exactly understandable. I put up with it for BC because half the games didn't work anyway (and I still, honestly, have no idea if they will for me) so I took what I could get. But for this, they really should clear it up. Otherwise it just seems totally half-assed. VC it ain't.

Lezta on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I will say that if they're selling the games for about $15/£10, then it'd be nice if they worked properly without such caveats as "Don't press this button in this instance, it might crash". I can understand the service, and I think it's a good move (I can't see it costing them much money to do, and it could work out nicely), but it'd be better if the games they sell you were guaranteed to work perfectly.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is it wrfong that I am debating trading in my psychonauts, so that I can have psychonauts with achievements?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    To swap Disc's, hit the Guide button, then Y to go to the Dash. Eject and pop in the next game.

I swap from game to game, with zero concern for what I'm doing.

It's a console, not a PC. Plug and play, yo.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »

$15.

Well really it is $20 cause you cant buy 1200 points exactly right?

no, because you still keep that extra 400 points.

Evander on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    Is it wrfong that I am debating trading in my psychonauts, so that I can have psychonauts with achievements?

No achievements, it's in Mr. Grinch's post.

Dragkonias on