As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying a portable laptop (is this a good deal?)

NibbleNibble Registered User regular
My current laptop was bought as a desktop replacement, and it's quite nice; but it's huge, heavy, loud, and and the battery life is not so great. I'm thinking of selling it and replacing it with a small, portable laptop, which will mainly be used for surfing the net, word processing, watching videos, burning DVDs (dual-layer preferred), and other non-intensive stuff. I have no intention of playing games on it. Battery life and portability are my main concerns. Unfortunately, I know very little about what makes a good laptop, how the processors compare, or what's a good price. That's where you guys come in.

I found this deal for a 13.1" Toshiba Satellite at Future Shop, and I'd like your opinion. It's marked down $200 to $799, and seems to have everything I need, except for S-Video in/out. I like to play my AVIs on my TV, and I'd like to set it up as a PVR if possible. I assume that I can buy something for the PCMCIA slot or the FireWire port to do that, but I don't know how much that would cost. Would it be expensive?

If I bought that laptop for $799 and a TV tuner accessory to go with it, would that be a good deal? If not, do you know of any better deals around? I'm in Canada, if that matters.

sig.php?id=178
Nibble on