As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I want a Wireless Keyboard and Mouse, and know nothing about them. Please help me...

LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
So I have a bunch of credit at play asia ($20) and have decided that I would really like to get a wireless keyboard and mouse. Spending as little on top as needed. I use Linux (ubuntu) and windows for gaming, do things like this have issues with linux, or is it just like any keyboard?

I'm looking here and seeing a bunch of "Wireless Laser Desktop X000" including a wireless keyboard and mouse, made by Microsoft. Does higher number mean better, if so, where is a good place to aim for.

Are these good, I will be gaming so need a decent mouse (but find my current genius dirt cheap optical mouse fine sensitivity wise, except the left button is breaking)

Is "English" version meaning it will be a UK version, or will it be American (and is there a difference? I know France and Germany have different configurations)

Are these prices good? You may know me as "the bargains guy" but when it comes to something I know nothing about I am pretty much useless D:

Cheers.

LewieP on

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I went through 3 different wireless laptops/mice when I was trying to set up a pseudo-media computer, about 3 years ago. They all sucked. The worst required line of sight. The best worked on a non-line-of-sight radio signal but still sucked, with a delayed response on the screen and frequently losing connection. The first one was a cheap $20 piece of shit, the later two were more reputable with the last being from Microsoft.

I gave up on wireless peripherals until Bluetooth. Bluetooth is awesome. But it's expensive. If you're looking for wireless peripherals as a must, I'd suggest simply waiting until you can afford bluetooth gear.

ETA: since gaming is an issue, I wouldn't even consider anything but bluetooth.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Not that this helps at Play Asia, but I've been looking at the "Logitech Dinovo Media Desktop Laser Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard & Optical Mouse" for my htpc setup. I don't like the feel to the keys (kinda reminds me of a laptop), but one of the guys at work has one and the range is great (at least 12 feet) and the response seemed really sharp.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Indeed, if you need a range of more than 3-5 feet, then bluetooth is the only way to go. As far as gaming is concerned, if you play FPS's, then wireless is pretty much a no go due to the device lag (it's a subject open to debate though).

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • Options
    FrabbaFrabba Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I use a logitech wireless, and pretty much my only complaint is when the battery dies. You do not know sorrow until your mouse runs out of ammo before your heavy in TF2 :-p.

I have a friend who plays the UT series pretty competitively, and he wont go near wireless though. Not because of the latency (which I persoanlly have not experienced any noticible difference with), but because of the different weight the mouse carries. I can agree with that, since 2 AA batteries more or less double the weight of the mouse.

Frabba on
    I'm big in Internet Spaceships.