As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is Bioshock Really All That? (and a bag of chips? Mmm...Buffalo Ranch Dorritos)

Xander25Xander25 Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
I'll be honest.

I didn't like Half-Life 2.

In its defense, I never played Half-Life 1. I simply got 2 as a free game for my Portal/TF2 pack. I did, however, read up on the backstory at Wikipedia so I had something that could laughingly be called a "clue".

My biggest thing is a deep and interesting plot and innovative gameplay (god, I loved Portal even if it was short) and I keep hearing a lot about Bioshock's amazing epic storyline. Unfortunately, I'm a poor grad student and I really need to budget my $50 so I try to do my research before feeding the capitalist pigs at Best Buy.

Bioshock and Halflife use the same engine, meh? Half-Life 2 really felt like a "Get Gun. Point Gun. Shoot Gun" wimpy storyline game.

Is Bioshock's story really that good? Is it in depth? Does it draw you in and have several twists, turns and surprises?

Does the gameplay surpass Point-and-shoot shooters and tread the rare and hallowed grounds of "Wow, that's pretty sweet that you can do that"?

Thankyou in advance, PA Community, for your time and feedback!

Xander25 on

• Options
    SunshineLollypopsRainbowsSunshineLollypopsRainbows __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    You suck for not liking Halflife 2.

However, Bioshock, after the epic twist, sucks the fattest of asses.

The gameplay itself is more than a little disappointing too. My advice is play through it till the twist, then turn it off and make up your own ending.

SunshineLollypopsRainbows on
    Australia is totally shafted for each and every entertainment release ever.

But at least we're not fatasses.
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You must have played the super secret version of Half-Life 2 that had all the awesome taken out of it that doesn't exist.

Anyway, I don't think Bioshock uses HL2's engine and I also didn't think it's storyline was that great. I mean... the storyline itself was, but you really have to invest a lot of time in order to get all of it. The major storyline is sorta force-fed to you, but the finer, more interesting parts you have to search out and find via these audio files left scattered around the world.

Remington on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Half-Life 2 uses the Source Engine.

Bioshock uses a highly edited UE3 Engine.

So at least get the facts right before you admit you hate HL2.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Bioshock is a good game. It's gameplay is great, its as sandboxy as a linear shooter can get, and the story is decent. Sure, its convoluted and unless you grab most of the audio boxes you will probably have very little idea of what the fuck is going on, but its certainly a worthwhile play through.

The main complain that people always say is that the ending sucks. I guess it sorta does, but what the fuck did you want? A 30 min FMV clip? I play games for the content that I actually play, not the crap at the end.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I returned my copy. It's a nice game but was just System Shock 2 with a major graphics upgrade. The re-spawn points made the whole game a ridiculous cakewalk.

I may get it again if it ever goes to 20$

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Captain CrunchCaptain Crunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You should rent it, I bought it because of hype but it's too short for the $70 I paid for it.

It's still a great game though

Captain Crunch on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I really liked Bioshock. I thought the story was excellent, and had a great twist, while remaining believable. The gameplay was more than point-and-shoot. Combining different attacks was a nice touch.

That said, I thought HL2 was OK. It never really drew me in.

EDIT: Yeah, if you have a 360, you should definitely rent it. You can probably finish it inside of a week.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I thought Bioshock was pretty good, but it started to get boring after a while. It was just the exact same thing over and over again. A good game overall, but not really worthy of all the praise it got.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I loved Bioshock myself, it wasn't the next messiah of gaming but it was definitely one of my top games of the year. I loved the atmosphere of the game and the audio diaries were an amazing touch. Combat was great as well and I liked the graphics. The story was great up til the very end, and, while the "Good" ending wasn't perfect I thought it was fine. Some people just really don't like this game but having never played SS2 I didn't really have anything to compare this game too so I thought it was just dandy.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    edit: first spoilery paragraph removed by Echo.

The game was fun to play, but I went through the thing twice in a single rental, and the second go through was just to get the achievements I missed and really just pointed out that I didn't miss much of anything in the first playthrough. Different ending, maybe there was a third, middle of the road ending, but I certainly would not play the game again to find it.

I thought both Gears of War and Lost Planet were FAR better games.

And I think Halflife 2 was better than all three of the aforementioned games. With portal being even bettter than that (completed portal 4 times now and still enjoyed it my last time).

My conclusion on Bioshock is finely polished 'good' game. Nothing to buy IMO, but something to put on top of the rental list.

Smudge on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    STOP WHINING ABOUT RESPAWN POINTS.

IF IT'S SUCH A BIG DEAL JUST RELOAD WHEN YOU DIE.

Otherwise: Gr8 game yes sir it is.

Greeper on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I felt the same way as you about HL2. Overhyped. A gun that shoots toilets, big deal. It was pretty atmospheric but had very little plot. Anyway, I did like Bioshock more, but in retrospect, probably not enough to have bought it at full price. It's a bit of a one trick pony. Fun to play through once, but by that point you've pretty much seen it all.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    gleep-glopgleep-glop Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    First 2/3rds of the game was fantastic.

Last 1/3rd was annoying and felt tacked on.

The ending (either one) is total shit.

I'd say rent it.. if you're anything like me, you won't want to play it again after completing it.

gleep-glop on
    Gricon.jpg
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's a good game, decent gameplay, good story behind it.

But it's not worth 60-70 dollars.

Rent it or get it cheap, you'll have a fun time, but personally, I'm probably going to resell mine for some Mass Effect cash.

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I thought it got boring after you became a walking god and the game really is a cakewalk since you never actually die. Also there is no replay value at all. Other games I can pick up and play and have fun depite beating them, but I can't bring myself to do the same with BioShock. That may just be a personal thing though.

The art style and the enviroments are great, as are the voice acting and the writing. Everything after the big twist it's all ass though.
    Though that level in the upscale neighborhood with all the photos of missing people pasted on the walls looked pretty sweet.

Good for a once through but I can't reccomend a purchase. Some people find it scary but other than a few awesome jumps I can't say I found it very scary, though there were certainly a few creepy bits.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If you like FPS games at all and have either of the devices it is availiable on you owe it to yourself to at least try Bioshock. Rent it if you don't think you will ever want to come back to it, you can easily get through it on the weekend.

If you play PC games just get it. The atmosphere alone is worth the price on Steam.

Drool on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Still, its defenetly better than Halo3.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Greeper wrote: »
    STOP WHINING ABOUT RESPAWN POINTS.

IF IT'S SUCH A BIG DEAL JUST RELOAD WHEN YOU DIE.

Glal on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I felt the same way as you about HL2. Overhyped. A gun that shoots toilets, big deal. It was pretty atmospheric but had very little plot. Anyway, I did like Bioshock more, but in retrospect, probably not enough to have bought it at full price. It's a bit of a one trick pony. Fun to play through once, but by that point you've pretty much seen it all.
    errr i think HL2 has alot of story behind it. don't know what one you played, but the only one i consider a little "weak" is episode 1. episode 2 is AMAZING

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Xander25 wrote: »
    I'll be honest.

I didn't like Half-Life 2.

In its defense, I never played Half-Life 1. I simply got 2 as a free game for my Portal/TF2 pack. I did, however, read up on the backstory at Wikipedia so I had something that could laughingly be called a "clue".

My biggest thing is a deep and interesting plot and innovative gameplay (god, I loved Portal even if it was short) and I keep hearing a lot about Bioshock's amazing epic storyline. Unfortunately, I'm a poor grad student and I really need to budget my $50 so I try to do my research before feeding the capitalist pigs at Best Buy.

Bioshock and Halflife use the same engine, meh? Half-Life 2 really felt like a "Get Gun. Point Gun. Shoot Gun" wimpy storyline game.

Is Bioshock's story really that good? Is it in depth? Does it draw you in and have several twists, turns and surprises?

Does the gameplay surpass Point-and-shoot shooters and tread the rare and hallowed grounds of "Wow, that's pretty sweet that you can do that"?

Thankyou in advance, PA Community, for your time and feedback!
    Ok just a fyi: The story adds MUCH MORE VALUE when you've completed HL1. It strikes me as sort of an insult/spit in the face to valve and half-life if you haven't tried half-life 1 (rated best game EVER 2 years in a row).

Plus HL2 wanted you to feel like you were actually gordon, and simply no hints on how to get to the next area. You had to actually follow your surroundings and picture things happening.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The FPS parts of Bioshock never clicked with me. It has an awesome story, atmosphere and concept, but the actual gameplay didn't do much for me.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    errr i think HL2 has alot of story behind it. don't know what one you played, but the only one i consider a little "weak" is episode 1. episode 2 is AMAZING

maybe it's just me, but it seemed like just a ton of linear, point A to point B killing, with tiny bits of 'plot' that don't seem to add up to much. you're introduced to a few characters who each have like 3 lines of diologue and you're supposed to give a crap, but mostly it's walking and killing with the occasional glaring physics puzzle. near the end, it was like 'oh no, this woman who I know next to nothing about is betraying these other people I know next to nothing about.' and then there's some explosion, and the guy who they make sure you know nothing about on purpose says some spiel that makes no sense, making you feel like the entire game you just played was pointless.

and then episode 1 starts with a deus ex machina.

I do agree that episode 2 was pretty cool. It actually seemed somewhat character-driven and plotty. Alyx actually seemed to have a little bit of a personality beyond 'tomboyish cute nerd'.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    While this is a bioshock thread, I think the thing with HL2 is there isn't actually that much plot; it's so much more about mise-en-scene, the atmosphere, than it is about the specific happenings.

Plus some jumping puzzles.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The only FPS that came out recently that was more than shoot XYZ then move forward was Stalker. (Arguably Crysis will do this as well, and apparently the story isn't half terrible either)

Rook on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    HL2 is a superior game to Bioshock in nearly every way. The gameplay in Bioshock is repetitive and boring. The storytelling consists of "pick up this tape and listen to exposition."

I'm pissed that it got so many good reviews because now I'm out $50 on a thoroughly mediocre game.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I love the game.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2007
    How much you get out of Bioshock depends on how much you get into it. You can play the entire game by blindly rushing everyone with your wrench, dying, respawning, and repeating. Or you can set corpses on fire and then hurl them into Big Daddys to lure them into the mine traps you set up.

It's both a strength and a weakness in the game, really. Innovative sorts have the freedom to come up with awesome ways to progress through the game. But lazy sorts can just go "HURRRRRR HULK SMASH" at everything and just plow through the levels without ever putting thought into what they're doing. Those who get sucked into the surroundings will find a beautiful game with exhaustive detail put into the denizens and their backstory. Those who don't care about atmosphere can go from start to finish without ever stopping to hear the stories of Rapture's citizenry. It allows people to get a lot from the game, but those who tend to rush through will probably miss about 90% of what makes the game brilliant.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2007
    HL2 is a superior game to Bioshock in nearly every way. The gameplay in Bioshock is repetitive and boring. The storytelling consists of "pick up this tape and listen to exposition."

Not entirely, no. A lot of the story is communicated through the actions of enemies and the banter they engage in when they don't know you're listening. The tapes are just for those who find the tales of these people interesting. Plus you can listen to them while you're doing other stuff, which is nice.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I too recommend renting it, I loved it and don't regret buying it but how few times I've played it seem like an utter shame whenever I see its fancy texture-afied cover.

And on the endings, I thought the good ending was well...good but it did have a case of the "You are either mother Theressa or you drink the gray matter of kittens and are nicknamed Beelz"

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    PingPongPingPong Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is it worth 40 bucks? I got mine for 80 with The Darkness

PingPong on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Bioshock was pretty good, yeah. Innovative gameplay? Nope. Very memorable (and quotable) characters, beautiful environments, good physics (I'll never forget the sight and sound of party mask clattering across the tile floor after hitting a female splicer in the face so goddamned hard with the wrench), creepy moments, and an interesting story. It wasn't perfect, but it was really, really good.

If you didn't like HL2, I can see why you wouldn't like Bioshock. I loved HL2, other than Ravenholm. And I loved Bioshock.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Saying you don't like HL2 around here is kinda like walking into a crowded GameWorkshop during a rare midnight opening for the launch of a new line of Warhammer 40k pieces with the door shut behind and loudly proclaiming how you think table top gaming is for Hot Pocket scarfing, albino basement virgins. There's going to be an awkward pause and then the token odd man out night club bouncer type mother fucker there to pick up his limited edition Kaelis Ra and a few new members of his Necron Legion is going to violate you.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    While I really liked Bioshock, I really don't think it was the "spiritual successor" System Shock2

SS2 was just way better..period. Bioshock's upgrades didn't really force you to choose a style as you get enough points to max most of the cool powers out anyway. same with weapons, as long as you visited all the upgrade points, you're going to get everything you needed, the only thing you really choose is in what order do you want to be upgraded.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Meh, I can see why some people don't like HL2. We've been with Gordon for a long time now, and there's no character development. In fact, there's not really a character. I liked HL2 for the atmosphere and guns.

However.

If you say one bad word about Portal. I will end you.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    HL2, and Portal too really, is just a great example of gameplay to me though. I can see how the whole silent protagonist bit could get to people after the 20 or 30 hours we've spent with Freeman thus far, but, but... the Gravity Gun. I attempt playthroughs of Ep1 and Ep2 with nothing but that glorious piece of digital machinery. And Valve's totally OK with that. They leave shit all over the place creating not only a living world, but my own personal quiver of never ending calamity.

So, yeah, I guess HL2 could not ring for some, but our sentiments on Portal are definitely shared.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    ZahaladeenZahaladeen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This was a great game and should be noted as such. Visually stunning, great story and execution, and immersive environments. I liked this title a lot.

However, there was some stuff that didn't go over well with me.

1. The End.
    Utter. Complete. Absolute. Crapola. I apreciated the dual endings as a moral result, but they could have done just a little more story than seeing the girls grown up or the crackheads... er... splicers jump around and kill Navy personnel. Want more CGI! Want more emotional payoff!

2. Weapon Mechanics.
    The "Power to the People" stuff was pretty sweet, but in the end the guns weren't as important as plasmids, and that's a point I think they were trying to make with the gameplay. But the ability to continually tweak weapons would have been nice.

3. Sub-plot.
    It would have been so much cooler to go into greater detail about the resistance, the big New Year's meltdown, and the splicer society. But they didn't and I felt a little cheated. They didn't have to over explain, in fact I hate that. It just would have been nice, that's all.

However, there was more to like than dislike in this game. I look forward to replaying it when I get a good three-day weekend.

Zahaladeen on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I bought bioshock and spent hundreds of dollars to get my computer in shape so I could enjoy it with all the candy (the ol PC needed some more juice anyways) I played it furiously for a week and havent touched it since... never beat it, dont really care to at the moment. I just lost interest. Nothing inherently wrong with the game, there were some freaky cool moments but not really all it was cracked up to be. Ill beat it someday.... maybe.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    SunshineLollypopsRainbowsSunshineLollypopsRainbows __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I agree with the sentiments of those who are heralding Portal as the second coming.

It is seriously my GOTY, and I think only Galaxy has a chance of knocking it from its throne.

SunshineLollypopsRainbows on
    Australia is totally shafted for each and every entertainment release ever.

But at least we're not fatasses.
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Portal was the best 4 hours of my life. Besides being smack dab in the middle of a super model orgy I cant think of a better way to spend 4 hours.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Portal is the only piece of media that has ever compelled me to burst out in song, in the middle of public places, at any given time of day.

spoylar'd lyrics
    :whistle: I'm not even angry.
    I'm being so sincere right now.
    Even though you broke my heart.
    And killed me.
    And tore me to pieces.
    And threw every piece into a fire.
    As they burned it hurt because
    I was so happy for you!
    :whistle:

Fatty McBeardo on