As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CF Master Phalla Thread

• PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sadly :cry:

PsychoLarry1 on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I may want someone to co-host my SAW phalla with me, but I haven't decided.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I am always up for co-hosting stuff, MacSpectre.

Hylianbunny on
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Some people on that list could probably be taken off.

Like Bink who hasn't posted in 3 months, and hasn't been online for 2.

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Zot wrote: »
    Some people on that list could probably be taken off.

Like Bink who hasn't posted in 3 months, and hasn't been online for 2.

Not necessarily. Not everyone who's been participating in games has been constantly online since the time they asked to sign up. When it gets closer to their time the question can be asked though.

It's possible they are just doing other things not related to PA forums while perhaps keeping tabs on something like this.

Ardor on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I was MIA for a month and people were wondering if Death Note was happening, but it did just fine. I was just really busy and didn't have time for forums then.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So guys, what would the interest be in a phalla that ended at 1:00am est?(6:00am GMT for you non-US folk)

Last Son on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Last Son wrote: »
    So guys, what would the interest be in a phalla that ended at 1:00am est?(6:00am GMT for you non-US folk)
    I did it in a mini-phalla and it worked surprisingly well. Not sure about big phallas, though, a lot of people seem to like being awake during narration. A sentiment that is foreign to me, what with it being midnight right now.

Aldo on
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Has anyone done Star Wars before?

Is Star Wars cliche? Boring?

I'm tempted to do a Star Wars one.

Do people like or hate Star Wars?

Gumpy on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Is Star Wars cliche? Boring?

Do people like or hate Star Wars?

O_o

Sir, mayhap you should away quickly to a Doctor. You are not well...

Rend on
    edited November 2007
    Well I don't know do I. Just asking an innocent question.

So tempted to do one based around the Heir to the Empire trilogy, but I also love the feel of the first three movies.

Hurm.

Gumpy on
    edited November 2007
    I believe it to be a physical impossibility for "star wars" and any sort of negative sentiment to be paired together.

Ever.

Rend on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    tv_guide_ad-752271.jpg

mrpaku on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, Star Wars is pretty average.

Unknown User on
    edited November 2007
    Rend wrote: »
    I believe it to be a physical impossibility for "star wars" and any sort of negative sentiment to be paired together.

Ever.

The prequels.

But yea, whom ever does the list can put my games theme down as Star wars.

Gumpy on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Someone was going to run a SW Phalla, and cancelled. Not entirely sure why.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is it just me, or does this recent trend of Epic-length phallas just turn into a general bore after day 7 or so, when all the interesting players have died off and you're left with the boring low-posters who generally slog it out for another 5 days or so, to find out that in the end, nobody sent in any orders because they've all got like 6 posts?

What I'm trying to say is, keep the games shorter and more interactive. Anything less than 5 kills/night is shameful.

Plutonium on
    edited November 2007
    Plutonium wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does this recent trend of Epic-length phallas just turn into a general bore after day 7 or so, when all the interesting players have died off and you're left with the boring low-posters who generally slog it out for another 5 days or so, to find out that in the end, nobody sent in any orders because they've all got like 6 posts?

What I'm trying to say is, keep the games shorter and more interactive. Anything less than 5 kills/night is shameful.

Have they been alot shorter in the past? I started with Phalla Royale and PhalLost, so pretty much every one I've participated in have been "epic length"

Rend on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

Have they been alot shorter in the past? I started with Phalla Royale and PhalLost, so pretty much every one I've participated in have been "epic length"

Phalliad, the definition of epic, was 9 days. The last day had 8 kills, somehow.

So a few days over 7 doesn't kill the game, necessarily.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, but stuff like 14 days is completely excessive. 7 days to reach the endgame (6-10 players) is fine, but seven days to cut the amount of players in half, especially when it's only like a 40-person game, is just too long.

Plutonium on
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Sorry.

Frosteey on
    edited November 2007
    No, your game's fine Frosteey. Only six days in, and 2/3'rds of the players are dead, and 6-7 kills a night.

Plutonium on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm kinda of the opposite opinion. With the greater number of deaths a night it becomes more of a crap shoot about living to where the game actually has any kind of meaning at all. I mean days 1 to 3 of most games are basically "Grudge Central- Find out who the mob/bad guys decide to randomly fuck!"

Though you have a very good point about the loooonnnnnggggg draw out endings.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Games are larger these days, so it's natural that they'll be somewhat longer in length. I do agree on the general points, though. Ten days is about the right length for a full-size Phalla, and pacing should be such that there's enough energy up through the first seven or so days until the end-game activities come around. Killing off 10% of your starting population each night really ain't such a bad plan to build a game around, though it does depend on the number of baddies and their powers in relation to the village or opposing factions. The pace just needs to be such that the village has time to try and push against the bad guys without having so much time that they form an absolutely impenetrable network.

Hmm... my game is coming up soon. I've been juggling around different options for what type of game it'll be, but there's still time to mull over the options. Hope you guys enjoy it when the time comes.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited November 2007
    Some games are waaaaaaaaaaayyy too long.

Especially for the people who always die day 1

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Zot wrote: »
    Some games are waaaaaaaaaaayyy too long.

Especially for the people who always die day 1
    That's what miniphallas are for, imo.

Unless you die there on night 1 as well. D:

Aldo on
    edited November 2007
    I think folks should just consider trying something different.

For example, how about a game that lasts 7-9 days but win conditions do not include killing everyone else? It could be a different type of game where the win conditions involve you finding certain other players or items or some such so you don't have to worry about the issue of people dying.

Take Saburbia's haunted house idea. Create several teams who don't necessarily know who's on their team and they get clues where certain items are in the house and the first team to gather their respective items will win. It doesn't have to be (your team in the majority) victory all the time.

Robothero and I were talking about a "Where in phalla is carmen sandiego" game where the the detectives simply have X days to find out who all the criminals are and it doesn't involve killing them necessarily. They might lose their ability to vote by getting thrown in jail and they could do the same to players. The players would still be allowed to participate, but mabye their votes don't count. However, with clues and advice being given each night in narrations or by any clever detectives, they can still work together to help find the criminals.

Things like that. We don't necessarily need to follow any particular trend or tradition.

Ardor on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    More people need to adopt Sab's idea of secondary elections with people having strong hidden agenda's. Puzzling out odd voting patterns (and attempting to balancing hiding my motive while using my vote effectively) is fun. The indoor/outdoor thing combined with Altars overlayed with just general theme was awesome.

The issue I'd have without a "kill" mechanic is that it removes a lot of the strength of the bad guys. If someone stumbles on truth or is even thinking of a plan that will make your life hell you kill him and hope nobody notices. Without that power the bad guys ability to steer a larger "village" group is strongly curtailed.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    At first I was planning on doing an Evil Dead phalla, a reiteration of my last one, where the good side has to find the missing pages of the necronomicon and the actual book itself to win.

And there would be several groups who they themselves choose where to go.

However with my turn coming up soon and me being lazy and busy I decided to do a normal phalla.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
    edited November 2007
    My next minigame is going to be a classic phalla strictly for people who have less than 5-10 games of experience.

Unknown User on
    edited November 2007
    My next mini will not have a green protection vote. But I am thinking of some interesting team mechanics. I really enjoy team games, especially for minis.

Rend on
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Please move me to the bottom of the hosting list. My current life situation would mean the closing time for my Phalla would have to be around 1am est or later and I don't think I would get enough players interested to justify a Main Phalla. Instead I will most likely run it as a mini-phalla when I get the rules ironed out.

Hopefully by the time we reach the bottom of the list I'll be able to host at a decent closing hour.

Last Son on
    edited November 2007
    More people need to adopt Sab's idea of secondary elections with people having strong hidden agenda's. Puzzling out odd voting patterns (and attempting to balancing hiding my motive while using my vote effectively) is fun. The indoor/outdoor thing combined with Altars overlayed with just general theme was awesome.

The issue I'd have without a "kill" mechanic is that it removes a lot of the strength of the bad guys. If someone stumbles on truth or is even thinking of a plan that will make your life hell you kill him and hope nobody notices. Without that power the bad guys ability to steer a larger "village" group is strongly curtailed.

Not necessarily. By standard phalla(mafia) rules, yes you are correct. However, by branching out and finding new ways of how the bad guys can work, things can work much differently and you can find new ways of giving people props.

For example, imagine the basic phalla game with 20 people. 3 bad guys, 1 seer, guardian and vigilante.

Maybe the vigilante and bad guys don't get kills, they remove the ability for someone's vote to count and nullifies their ability, but they can still vote (for effect). The guardian and seer would work the same way. The narration could give hints about who got hit or the vigilante would know if he/she hit a bad guy. The narration or maybe some mid-day events could be brought out to help the village find the bad guys as Infidel had. The vote could work as a public seering, much like what Drez had.

In one sense though, as long as the game offers ample opportunity for everyone to be useful to the end, nobody really dies and has to be removed from the game. It allows people to still put jokes and grudges and such forward to keep the game interesting.

Ardor on
    edited November 2007
    aaah, vote altering abilities

Zoidphalla was my favorite game to host/watch

Unknown User on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    After participating in my first phalla. I think i'm in love with phalla.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2007

I'm glad you enjoyed the game. We try our best to be inclusive and to help people have fun. The first few days can be fun because we're voting for people on past grudges and bad avatar choices or something, which can be amusing.

Just so you know, D&D has one game per month roughly, sometimes two. Otherwise here we try to have one primary game and a mini game, which usually hosts a much smaller number of players.

Ardor on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ardor wrote: »

I'm glad you enjoyed the game. We try our best to be inclusive and to help people have fun. The first few days can be fun because we're voting for people on past grudges and bad avatar choices or something, which can be amusing.

Just so you know, D&D has one game per month roughly, sometimes two. Otherwise here we try to have one primary game and a mini game, which usually hosts a much smaller number of players.

Ah I wasn't too sure how the schedule went. I just figured I would actively search for the words "SIGN UP!".

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2007

Ah I wasn't too sure how the schedule went. I just figured I would actively search for the words "SIGN UP!".

Right now we only have Belarus and Phallagnarok running. Whats the deal with royal flush, again? And is there another mini going up soon?

Rend on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Right now we only have Belarus and Phallagnarok running. Whats the deal with royal flush, again? And is there another mini going up soon?
    Royal Flush is on hiatus until Drez figures out if he can run it any time soon.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited November 2007
    robothero wrote: »
    My next minigame is going to be a classic phalla strictly for people who have less than 5-10 games of experience.

Excluding mini-phallas, and is it strictly CF?

Because I think I honestly fit under that category. :P

This discussion has been closed.