Options

'Dragonball' Movie on Track: What the Fuck, Chow?

• Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    theSquid wrote: »
    Are you guys kidding?

If you cut out all the filler, Dragonball seasons are about 2 hours of story, so it should be dead easy to pull this off.

Yeah but the filler is the good part, is what I'm sayin'.

ege02 on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm with Aroduc on this one. The original DB was charming, because it was a sci-fi / kung-fu / fantasy revisioning of the already fantastical Journey to the West.

DBZ basically dropped the charming part and every episode was an attempt to one-up the previous, in terms of crazy.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    All I'm going to say to answer the "These guys aren't buff enough." comments is Tobey Macquire.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The current word is that James Kyson Lee, aka Ando from Heroes, is up for the part of Yamcha.

That makes me think of Masi Oka as Krillin. Damn, that could actually work.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Brendan Fraser should've been Goku.

039_47335.jpg

He's got that dopey/brave look to him, he's already pretty buff, and he'd look good in orange.

He could also be the tournament emcee who if he had a name i don't remember it.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I cannot wait to see this, it will be awful but I must see it.

I also didn't realise Piccolo was a badguy in the original Dragon Ball, then again, I'm not sure I've actually seen any of it.
    Can Spike really pull it off? Is that accent from Buffy authentic or real?
    Spike's accent in Buffy was a running joke, it boggles the mind you considered the idea he might actually be English.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I didn't really watch too many episodes. Just the first two seasons, basically.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Honestly, I would be completely okay if Brendon Fraser played Goku. I never really made that much of a connection with Goku to Asian anyway. I think that would work pretty well.

And a bald Tobey Macguire could totally pull off Krillin.

An-D on
  • Options
    WienkeWienke Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm cautiously pessimistic.

It's kinda crazy they're actually going to try and do this without the Super Saiyan stuff. I mean it makes sense on paper but marketability-wise and just knowing how fans are with this show, this is kinda like Wolverine sans claws.

Of course who's to say they won't make Goku a super saiyan even though he's fighting piccolo?

I have no hope for this movie to be any better than Dead or Alive. That said, you bet your ass I'm going to see this in theaters. Hell I'm excited D:

Wienke on
    PSN: TheWienke
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It would be an absolute butchering if Goku went Super Saiyan during the Piccolo fight; He doesn't find out he's a Saiyan until the start of DBZ, and from there it's all about mastering his Saiyan side to achieve Super Saiyan status.

Super Saiyan is a popular trademark of the series, but it isn't what defines Goku. The movie can get by without it. Whether it'll attract enough fans with a purely pre-DBZ cast (which still isn't confirmed) remains to be seen.

Although this is going to be batshit insane as a live movie no matter what. A muscular kid with a tail, a bald midget, a muscular bald three-eyed man, a transforming pig, a transforming cat/koala thing, a girl who changes personality when she sneezes, an old man wearing a turtle shell, his talking turtle companion, and a green skinned alien.

Also, dinosaurs.

Well shit, now I can't wait to see this.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You should work for a PR firm.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mini-me will be Krillin, if they continue to cast it this way.

Mark my words.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    KoanKoan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Brendan Fraser should've been Goku.

He's got that dopey/brave look to him, he's already pretty buff, and he'd look good in orange.

He could also be the tournament emcee who if he had a name i don't remember it.

No the emcee must be played by Bruce Cambell. Anything this cheezy should have a proper dose of chin in it. That being said I will be seeing this movie on opening night so taht I dont miss any of the cosplayers. In a theatre that serves beer.

Koan on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think this movie will be a sucess, solely for the fact that even if we know is going to be bad, we'll go see it first day, to see just how bad it can get.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If this ever ends up happening I will ABSOLUTELY have to see it. I really hope it's Z-based just because that would make the potential for travesty even greater.

Snork on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    noir_blood wrote: »
    I think this movie will be a sucess, solely for the fact that even if we know is going to be bad, we'll go see it first day, to see just how bad it can get.

They can't fail.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Snork wrote: »
    If this ever ends up happening I will ABSOLUTELY have to see it. I really hope it's Z-based just because that would make the potential for travesty even greater.

I agree. Although DB would make the better story movie, I'm morbidly curious as to how they would pull of DBZ in real life. Christ..just imagine seeing Raditz?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    WienkeWienke Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    At least we can all agree that Bill Goldberg would still make the best Nappa ever...

I don't think I've ever actually seen anyone present a different name for the spot since the internets started having these DBZ movie wishlists.

Wienke on
    PSN: TheWienke
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    You know that really big American dude Jet Li fought in Fearless? I think he'd make an awesome Nappa.

Although I was hoping more that they'd use him to play Gregor Clegaine once Ice and Fire gets televised.

Or if.

• Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    There's a guy on Human Weapon who could do Nappa. :p

devoir on
  • Options
    falsedeffalsedef Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is this coming out after the live action Pokemon movie starring Haley Joel Osment as Ash and David Spade as pikachu?

falsedef on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    falsedef wrote: »
    Is this coming out after the live action Pokemon movie starring Haley Joel Osment as Ash and David Spade as pikachu?
    The terrifying thing is that the casting is perfect.

Snork on
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Whats his face...the guy that played wolverine in the X-men movies would make a great Vegeta. 8-)

An-D on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Hugh Jackman?

No way.

Personally, I'd love to see a DB or DBZ film done in CG, sort of in the style of The Incredibles (only less square-jawed).

Cyvros on
  • Options
    gabrielzerogabrielzero Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Krillian is a cool character though. I like him more then Goku.

Also , it would be a smart move not to include Super Saiyan stuff. Especially when they can make that the big attraction for the second or third movie. Kind of like the black suit hype for Spider man 3.

gabrielzero on
    Roleplay Adventures <--- If you like to role-play , then this is the forum for you. ^_^
  • Options
    QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I love DBZ entirely too much. I really, really want this movie to be good, but there's no way it will be.

It should be CG. It would add a layer of depth not in the TV show, but you could meld the over-the-top aspects of DBZ into a CG world pretty well if you wanted to. Live action just won't look right. The Neo vs. Agent Smith DBZ fight was awesome, but it just didn't look quite right because the movie was live action, and they didn't even have crazy glam-rock-meets-punk-rock hair.

Uh-oh, casting wishlists?

Goku - Brandon Routh.
    Piccolo - Michael Clarke Duncan
    Gohan - Josh Hutcherson
    Nappa - Nathan Jones
    Vegeta - Naveen Andrews

Those would be the big ones for the Saiyan Saga, if that's the story they're doing.

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2007
    Quazar wrote: »
    I love DBZ entirely too much. I really, really want this movie to be good, but there's no way it will be.

It should be CG. It would add a layer of depth not in the TV show, but you could meld the over-the-top aspects of DBZ into a CG world pretty well if you wanted to. Live action just won't look right. The Neo vs. Agent Smith DBZ fight was awesome, but it just didn't look quite right because the movie was live action, and they didn't even have crazy glam-rock-meets-punk-rock hair.

Uh-oh, casting wishlists?

Goku - Brandon Routh.
    Piccolo - Michael Clarke Duncan
    Gohan - Josh Hutcherson
    Nappa - Nathan Jones
    Vegeta - Naveen Andrews

Those would be the big ones for the Saiyan Saga, if that's the story they're doing.

Somebody really ought to change the thread title. It's not Dragonball Z, just Dragonball. Kid/teen Goku. Nobody flies, they have clouds for that. Shooting energyballs is the peak level of skill. Etc etc etc.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well, we don't know for certain at this point if they're doing a movie purely based on just Dragon Ball, or if they'll be mixing elements of DB and DBZ. Since it's so early, everything is still up in the air.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Live action Dragon Ball movie? That just sounds so wrong.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Peewi wrote: »
    Live action Dragon Ball movie? That just sounds so wrong.

But yet it feels so right.

Sure I watched the show as a kid, was kinda cool, then realized how lame it was afterwards, yet I am pumped for this movie.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    AHAHAHAHAHA
    goku.jpg

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I want to see the merchandising from this. Hey kids, dress up as your favourite DBZ characters with deluxe meter-high wigs!

Cyvros on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dragonball Z?

Give me Robotech and NGE live action, or give me death!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Every day I wonder what the progress is on that NGE movie. Because I have a lot of optimism that it'll be a great adaption, based on the excellent concept art that's been thrown around for years.

• Options
    edited December 2007
    According to Hollywood Reporter, Jamie Chung (Samurai Girl) has been cast as Chi Chi in Fox's Dragonball adaptation. Stephen Chow will produce the film, which will feature Justin Chatwin as Goku and James Marsters Piccolo.

-aintitcool

So they'll get an asian to play Chi Chi, but not Goku? At least they're not completely excluding the notion of foreign actors. I haven't seen Samurai Girl, but it sounds like they want Chi Chi to have a few fighting scenes (which she does get in Dragonball, until she Moms up and becomes incredibly lame in DBZ).

• Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2007
    According to Hollywood Reporter, Jamie Chung (Samurai Girl) has been cast as Chi Chi in Fox's Dragonball adaptation. Stephen Chow will produce the film, which will feature Justin Chatwin as Goku and James Marsters Piccolo.

-aintitcool

So they'll get an asian to play Chi Chi, but not Goku? At least they're not completely excluding the notion of foreign actors. I haven't seen Samurai Girl, but it sounds like they want Chi Chi to have a few fighting scenes (which she does get in Dragonball, until she Moms up and becomes incredibly lame in DBZ).

Other related crap states that the "romance blooms during their tournament blah blah" so yeah, this is definitely Dragonball era, not Z.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    You know, I have to give them credit. Even though DB is popular in its own right, I'm sure a lot of fans are still going to be disappointed in the lack of Vegeta, Gohan, or any of the other Saiyans. The director is at least respectful of the original storyline, and isn't tossing in popular characters early for the sake of ticket sales (at least that's how it feels so far).

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Why isn't Donnie Yen involved? He's at least nine thousand kinds of awesome. He's like the Chuck Norris of Hong Kong, except he can actually act.

Or is he too Asian? Has the Asian actors quota been filled for this movie already?

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Surely Master Roshi must be played by an asian. Tien too, possibly, since the only bald headed actor with a strong enough physique would be Vin Diesel.

And I feel dirty enough just typing his name.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    God why won't this movie die?

Live action anime does not work.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.